what would happen if you attacked an unmade with nightbood?

Kalaksbreath

what would happen if you attacked an unmade with nightbood? We know that night blood is very powerful and I wonder in you attacked an unmade with nightblood if he would be able to do any damage.

(Edit) We know that nightblood has an obsession with "destroying evil" and I would think that he would be eager to destroy the unmade because they are quite evil.

Edited by Kalaksbreath

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

so nightblood is a way the knights could kill the unmade.

In theory.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Yup.  A Larkin might be able to pull it off too, so long as it doesnt fill up before the unmade if fully eaten.  

It almost certainly would.  Also Larkin have trouble with spren as they are identity locked and this is the kind of spren that has a high level identity I doubt a Larkin would be effective.

I mean, personally I'm sceptical of the idea that it would be that easy. But I would describe it as an experiment that's well worth trying. Maybe test it out on Ashertmarn; he feels like the one that's least likely to attack pre-emptively and ruin the science. 

1 hour ago, Gilphon said:

I mean, personally I'm sceptical of the idea that it would be that easy. But I would describe it as an experiment that's well worth trying. Maybe test it out on Ashertmarn; he feels like the one that's least likely to attack pre-emptively and ruin the science. 

Keep in mind that to use Nightblood this way (I have large misgivings about the effectiveness of using a Larkin) you would also have to have enough investature to fuel him throughout the experience and if that much is available to you then odds are the Unmade is considerably down the threat level. 

47 minutes ago, Karger said:

Keep in mind that to use Nightblood this way (I have large misgivings about the effectiveness of using a Larkin) you would also have to have enough investature to fuel him throughout the experience and if that much is available to you then odds are the Unmade is considerably down the threat level. 

Have Dalinar open up a perpendicularity I know we have WoB saying bad things would happen if you did that but they don’t know that and I want to see what would happen.

5 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Have Dalinar open up a perpendicularity I know we have WoB saying bad things would happen if you did that but they don’t know that and I want to see what would happen.

Dalinar can't open those just on command.

18 minutes ago, Karger said:

Dalinar can't open those just on command.

How sure are we on that because at the end of OB Kaladin says “Dalinar had been able to summon the strength to overcharge him with Stormlight, though it was obviously exhausting to do so.” Pg. 1211 that seams to me like he had done something like opening a perpendicularity to fill Kaladin with Stormlight.

30 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

How sure are we on that because at the end of OB Kaladin says “Dalinar had been able to summon the strength to overcharge him with Stormlight, though it was obviously exhausting to do so.” Pg. 1211 that seams to me like he had done something like opening a perpendicularity to fill Kaladin with Stormlight.

Completely sure.

Sources: Reddit

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)
#2 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.

Meanwhile the Stormfather clearly states that Dalinar is the first to do what you describe.

Edited by Karger

15 minutes ago, Karger said:

Completely sure.

Sources: Reddit

Idaho Falls signing (Dec. 29, 2018)
#2 Share Copy

Play/Pause

Questioner

Dalinar Ascends, right? Like, right then, there.

Brandon Sanderson

I have RAFO'd that. Whether he is Ascending or not is a RAFO.

Questioner

Okay, because I know he kind of mentions from that, I don't know how to say his name but the older guy who has the Diagram--

Brandon Sanderson

Taravangian, yeah. Whether that deserves to be a capital "A" or not is a matter of argument. It can be disputed.

Questioner

I guess my main question would just be Dalinar's now able to pull Stormlight and give it to people now.

Brandon Sanderson

He definitely can. That is a Bondsmith power, so.

Questioner

That is a Bondsmith power, okay.

Brandon Sanderson

That is specifically a Bondsmith power.

Questioner

Because my roommate was saying well, the Stormfather was surprised he could do that or was the Stormfather surprised that he was able to bridge--

Brandon Sanderson

He was surprised by what was happening to Dalinar as a whole.

Questioner

Oh okay, that's what I thought because I was like, because I felt like the Stormlight, that power would be a Bondsmith power.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that the Stormfather and Odium were seeing something in Dalinar that, perhaps, the average person watching even who is knowledgeable about Surges would not completely understand... But he will be able to use that power and Bondsmiths in the past have used that same power.

Footnote: Brandon clarified that he might have been unintentionally misleading in his answers to this question during his Stormlight 4 Update 1.

Meanwhile the Stormfather clearly states that Dalinar is the first to do what you describe.

thank you for clarifying that so Dalinar can infuse other KR with stormlight and also somewhat unrelated but do you think Dalinar will be able to use that power to infuse the pilar in the basement of Urithiru or do we have WoB on that.

10 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

but do you think Dalinar will be able to use that power to infuse the pilar in the basement of Urithiru or do we have WoB on that.

To the best of my knowledge.  Every question of that nature has been RAFOed.

Just now, Kalaksbreath said:

that's what I thought but do you think he will be able to or you don't want to speculate.

I do not think that having Dalinar zap the pillar with some stormlight will instantly fix everything(with the Sibiling and the tower).

Edited by Karger

44 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I agree with that to an extent but I think there is a good chance that it will be part of the solution.

That is certainly one possibility.  I am in the until someone Sibling bonds the problem will not get solved camp.

30 minutes ago, The traveller said:

If not navani then who else do you think can bond the sibling? 

Rushu? 

Taravangian, Fen, Ialia, and Noura have a been floated as possibilities for one of the other two godspren. 

Edited by Karger

14 hours ago, Karger said:

In theory.

It almost certainly would.  Also Larkin have trouble with spren as they are identity locked and this is the kind of spren that has a high level identity I doubt a Larkin would be effective.

I completely forgot about that, you're right.  If it could eat an Unmade, I would expect it should have been able to eat that Fused (rather than just drain it) and it would have eaten the spren right out of any farbial it was near.  And given how the stormlight usually streams out from the gem tot he larkin's mouth, worst case would be that a larking trying might give the Unmade enough leverage to escape.  

8 hours ago, The traveller said:

I like the idea of den being a radiant and even noura but these two are for nightwatcher 

sibling should be someone who is into fabrial technology 

I like Navani for the Sibling that reason, thought I also really like the idea of Rlain for the Sibling to be a Bridge and help Unite the two races.  In that instance Navani could also for the Nightwatcher.  

Sorry, for clarification, why exactly would you need a whole bunch of investiture with you to use Nightblood against an Unmade? Like, you'd obviously need some in order to safely unsheathe him in the first place, but once that's done, couldn't you just kind of stick him in there and led him feed off the Unmade?

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

I completely forgot about that, you're right.  If it could eat an Unmade, I would expect it should have been able to eat that Fused (rather than just drain it) and it would have eaten the spren right out of any farbial it was near.  And given how the stormlight usually streams out from the gem tot he larkin's mouth, worst case would be that a larking trying might give the Unmade enough leverage to escape.  

I like Navani for the Sibling that reason, thought I also really like the idea of Rlain for the Sibling to be a Bridge and help Unite the two races.  In that instance Navani could also for the Nightwatcher.  

Rlain could bond nightwatcher and attain nightform 

just kidding 

Sorry, for clarification, why exactly would you need a whole bunch of investiture with you to use Nightblood against an Unmade? Like, you'd obviously need some in order to safely unsheathe him in the first place, but once that's done, couldn't you just kind of stick him in there and led him feed off the Unmade?

You need to keep him drawn long enough for him to drain the unmade.  I don't think he can work if he has no power source.

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

You need to keep him drawn long enough for him to drain the unmade.  I don't think he can work if he has no power source.

Also, per the WOB below I get he impression taht Drawing Nightblood is more about an act of Intent than necessarily a physical act, it's described as Unchaining a monster and that Nightbloods physical form doesnt actually matter much.  On top of that, we know the Connection he makes to his wielders is not reliant on physical contact/possession.  Combine those two and I dont think you could let go of the sword to protect yourself without also shutting down Nightblood (Vasher threw him a couple times and he gouged the floor but then seemed to go dormant).   That being said, you might be able to simply give the Unmade the Test the way Vasher liked to do: toss him over there and let their own dark natures convince them to draw and be destroyed by nightblood, though that would be hella-risky.  

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood

Nightblood's name, by the way, is supposed to sound kind of like the names of the Returned. I played with various different ways for his powers to manifest. I liked the idea of him driving those who hold him to kill anyone nearby. It seemed to work with the concepts that have come before—a kind of unholy, sentient mix of Stormbringer and the One Ring.

The strangest thing about him is the idea that his form isn't that important. The sheath is like a binding for him, keeping his power contained. So drawing him out isn't like drawing a regular weapon, but rather an unleashing of a creature who has been kept chained.

Once that creature is unleashed, he becomes a weapon—even if he's unleashed only a little bit. The sheath itself turns into a weapon, twisting those around it. You don't need to stab someone with Nightblood to kill them; smashing them on the back with the sheath works just as well. It will crunch bones, but beyond that, merely touching them with the sheath when the smoke is leaking can be deadly.

Warbreaker Annotations (Feb. 7, 2011)