Why did Vin not find out about the other metals?

Kalaksbreath

14 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Elend or anyone else in the crew it is also odd that she never thought about it to her self.

(edit) sazed

She could barely get a message of encouragement to get Elend to go to the Pits to find the Terris people. How would she convey technical and detailed information to someone?

17 minutes ago, RShara said:

She could barely get a message of encouragement to get Elend to go to the Pits to find the Terris people. How would she convey technical and detailed information to someone?

I was talking about after the well of ascension.

(edit) but you said she lost all the information after she gave up the power.

Edited by Kalaksbreath

11 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I was talking about after the well of ascension.

(edit) but you said she lost all the information after she gave up the power.

She didn't lose the information. She never had it. She released the power, so she never actually held it and so she never gained any of the knowledge that the Lord Ruler did.

16 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I need to reread that part it seams I miss read it.

She started to take it, and her mind started to expand, but then she decided to let it go, so her mind stopped expanding and it all left her.

15 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

This thought came into my head and it has been bugging me why did Vin not find out about the rest of the allomantic metals when she took up the powers on preservation at the well of ascension. When Sazed takes up the powers he Knows about them and mentions them to spook on the back of the picture of the flower. If someone knows why please explain it to me.

I believe Vin knew about the metals but was focused on ensuring that the battle went as planned and that Ruin didn't get a chance to take up the trust.

However in Sazed's case, the war was done, the world was remade and he could now focus on the fact that the Lord Ruler had suppressed technology for so long. Thus he could provide them with additional knowledge that he had at his disposal.

Spoiler for Mistborn Era 2

Spoiler

Sazed does express concern regarding the fact that he made things too easy for the people on Scadrial. He mentions that he expected them to have progressed much further than they had. This shows how much he was concerned about the lack of technological progress as a result of the Lord Ruler's actions and how Sazed tried to overcorrect by trying to provide everything to the Era 2 individuals before realizing that they had to find their own way.

At the Well, we saw everything that her exceptionally short term mind expansion granted her. She saw the world as a whole, including the south. She saw the way Rashek reshaped the world,and she saw how to heal Elend. If she would have though about the metals at all, she probably would have figured it out... But she didn't, and then she let go of the power. 

As to when she fully Ascended, she very well may have learned about the metals. But with no way to communicate that to anyone it's not like it would have helped, even if they had the tech to create them. 

There's no plot hole here in my eyes. 

I would imagine it being a case of being focused on everything else going on around her. She was aware of the other metals but was way too busy trying to stop Koloss armies and literal gods. Even when Vin Ascended this was for a very short time. The information she held may not have been fully focussed and even if it was there was so much happening for her to relay all this information to anyone.

Imagine that she is not yet familiar with the Power of knowing about all available skills. Unlike Harmony, she had another fragment trying to hinder her learning.

If she had known and just not informed them for not having any of the other metals available, she could still have given them to Elend as ghost metals. Chromium would have been particularly useful against Marsh.

5 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

If she had known and just not informed them for not having any of the other metals available, she could still have given them to Elend as ghost metals. Chromium would have been particularly useful against Marsh.

Assuming he knew how to use it.  Remember it requires physical contact.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

Assuming he knew how to use it.  Remember it requires physical contact.

Chromium yes, but Bendalloy, for example, would be active the moment she burns all the ghost metals. And there's no plausible reason for her choosing not to give Elend a bubble of speed. He had atium.

48 minutes ago, Raphaborn said:

Chromium yes, but Bendalloy, for example, would be active the moment she burns all the ghost metals. And there's no plausible reason for her choosing not to give Elend a bubble of speed. He had atium.

How would a speed bubble help?  Elend was fighting in god mode.  A speed bubble would effectively deplete his atium even faster.

On 10/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Kalaksbreath said:

Elend or anyone else in the crew it is also odd that she never thought about it to her self.

(edit) sazed

She didn't communicate directly with anybody, not even Elend, because Ruin blocked her from doing so. And on her own, there's no reason why she'd have given any focus to finding out All The Secrets to Allomancy, not when she had more immediate goals in front of her (Ruin being days, not weeks, away from achieving the destruction of all life on Scadrial), no way to pass that info onto mortal Allomancers anyway, and no way for those Allomancers to then leverage that info even if they had it.

Even Kelsier, who is more of a personality type than Vin was to seek information in order to figure out how to turn it to his advantage, later admitted to Spook that he wished he'd focused on understanding hemalurgy while holding Preservation. And he held it for considerably longer than Vin did.

10 hours ago, Calderis said:

Only if Marsh was in the bubble too... Which negates any advantage as a bubble collapses if the Allomancer leaves it. 

It's more difficult for Ruin, Allomancy is the Art of Preservation. The advantage would be Vin / Elend.

Edited by Raphaborn

1 minute ago, Raphaborn said:

It's more difficult for Ruin, Allomancy is the Art of Preservation. The advantage would be Vin / Elend.

You misunderstand. Marsh wouldn't have to do anything. 

He sits outside of the bubble and Elend can't do anything to him without collapsing it. Or he also enters the bubble, time is accelerated, and nothing changes.

Its an expenditure of power that doesn't do anything but allow you to isolate the fight, or take a break and plan. You can't fight through it to effect someone not inside. 

On 10/15/2019 at 9:20 AM, Raphaborn said:

On 10/15/2019 at 9:24 AM, Calderis said:

You misunderstand. Marsh wouldn't have to do anything. 

He sits outside of the bubble and Elend can't do anything to him without collapsing it. Or he also enters the bubble, time is accelerated, and nothing changes.

Its an expenditure of power that doesn't do anything but allow you to isolate the fight, or take a break and plan. You can't fight through it to effect someone not inside. 

I think @Raphaborn is saying that if Marsh is in a speed bubble, created with Preservation's investiture, that Ruin's influence on Marsh would be diminished.

• Chaos locked this topic