Why did Vin not find out about the other metals?

Kalaksbreath

This thought came into my head and it has been bugging me why did Vin not find out about the rest of the allomantic metals when she took up the powers on preservation at the well of ascension. When Sazed takes up the powers he Knows about them and mentions them to spook on the back of the picture of the flower. If someone knows why please explain it to me.

3 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

This thought came into my head and it has been bugging me why did Vin not find out about the rest of the allomantic metals when she took up the powers on preservation at the well of ascension. When Sazed takes up the powers he Knows about them and mentions them to spook on the back of the picture of the flower. If someone knows why please explain it to me.

She might have, but she never had a chance to communicate about them.

2 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

won't she have seen the huge advantage they would have given them especially chromium and bendalloy.

How would they have made those metals with the technology they had? And in the time that they had. Not to mention the whole workforce, lack of resources, and impending end of the world.

Edited by RShara

I assumed it was focus and time. 

Sazed was focused on dumping all his knowledge in from metalminds and extrapolating, making connections, to save the world. Then he had the time from saving it to the people coming out. Probably in deific terms that was a lot. 

Vin was focused on fighting Ruin. And then she killed him by self-sacrifice, so not much time even by godly standards. 

1 minute ago, RShara said:

How would they have made those metals with the technology they had?

the melting point of bendalloy is 158 degrees the only problem I could see is that they don't have the metals but I think they could have found a little bit of the metals needed.

2 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

I assumed it was focus and time. 

Sazed was focused on dumping all his knowledge in from metalminds and extrapolating, making connections, to save the world. Then he had the time from saving it to the people coming out. Probably in deific terms that was a lot. 

Vin was focused on fighting Ruin. And then she killed him by self-sacrifice, so not much time even by godly standards.

I was talking about when she was at the well of ascension when she didnt even know what ruin was. Allomancy was very important to Vin and she would have taken note of any metals they didnt know about.

the melting point of bendalloy is 158 degrees the only problem I could see is that they don't have the metals but I think they could have found a little bit of the metals needed.

It's not just melting point, it's the whole process of obtaining the various ores and refining them, then alloying them. Like, they didn't figure out how to make pure chromium until the late 1800's, and cadmium was around the same time. That's going to be a bit more advanced than TFE technology.

Just now, Kalaksbreath said:

I was talking about when she was at the well of ascension when she didnt even know what ruin was. Allomancy was very important to Vin and she would have taken note of any metals they didnt know about.

Since she released the power instead of taking it, it didn't expand her mind like it did The Lord Ruler.

Edited by RShara

1 minute ago, RShara said:

It's not just melting point, it's the whole process of obtaining the various ores and refining them, then alloying them. Like, they didn't figure out how to make pure chromium until the late 1800's, and cadmium was around the same time. That's going to be a bit more advanced than TFE technology.

Fair enough but it still seems odd to me that not having the other metals would have driven Vin crazy because she's not the type to let an advantage slip by her. And technology was odd on Skadrial because of TLR letting some things advance and others go by the wayside I feel like metallurgy was one of the things TLR let grow in some areas but held back in others.

2 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Fair enough but it still seems odd to me that not having the other metals would have driven Vin crazy because she's not the type to let an advantage slip by her. And technology was odd on Skadrial because of TLR letting some things advance and others go by the wayside I feel like metallurgy was one of the things TLR let grow in some areas but held back in others.

He did let metallurgy advance more than most other industries, but a lot of these metals still require those industries that he suppressed. Like electricity for electrolysis.

With duralumin, she knew that it was an alloy of aluminum so she had something to go on. With the other metals, there's a dozen or so possibilities, and some of them are quite toxic or not obtainable at that tech level. So there's really no way to experiment with them. She probably did try the various metals that she could obtain, but all of the unknown-at-the-time metals were the ones that were really really hard to make at that tech level.

Edited by RShara

How exactly is it helpful to have another metal when you are a god fighting another god?

4 minutes ago, RShara said:

He did let metallurgy advance more than most other industries, but a lot of these metals still require those industries that he suppressed. Like electricity for electrolysis.

With duralumin, she knew that it was an alloy of aluminum so she had something to go on. With the other metals, there's a dozen or so possibilities, and some of them are quite toxic or not obtainable at that tech level. So there's really no way to experiment with them.

I also think TLR would have wanted to have access to both the feruchemical and allomantic ability of these metals provide. and if he didn't have the technology wouldent he have wanted it he lived for 1000 years and could have had some of his priests create the technology secretly. 

I also think TLR would have wanted to have access to both the feruchemical and allomantic ability of these metals provide. and if he didn't have the technology wouldent he have wanted it he lived for 1000 years and could have had some of his priests create the technology secretly. 

Perhaps, but clearly he decided the benefits weren't worth the cons.

2 minutes ago, RShara said:

Perhaps, but clearly he decided the benefits weren't worth the cons.

That could be true but I don't think we know enough about TLR to judge what he would have wanted. 

(edit) I mean his attitude in life and how curious a person he was.

Edited by Kalaksbreath

That could be true but I don't think we know enough about TLR to judge what he would have wanted.

We know what happened, which was that he did not allow the creation of electricity.  So clearly he did decide that he didn't want it, despite it allowing the refining of the other metals.

Some of them are almost impossible to make without electricity. Some can be made, but with an expensive and long and difficult process.

Again: Vin didn't gain any knowledge from the Well because she released it instead of using it. And after she Ascended she had other things on her mind+didn't have a chance or the ability to communicate with anyone.

Also, FYI, you don't want to double post. If you have more thoughts to add, please use the Edit button, and add to your existing post.

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Would you need electricity to make these metals? 

Good luck getting any quantity of pure cadmium without it, and without cadmium you don't have bendalloy. The technology to separate cadmium from zinc ore wasn't within the technology level of the Final Empire.

3 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Good luck getting any quantity of pure cadmium without it, and without cadmium you don't have bendalloy. The technology to separate cadmium from zinc ore wasn't within the technology level of the Final Empire.

ok fair enough but I still think it's odd that Vin never mentioned it.

49 minutes ago, RShara said:

ome of them are almost impossible to make without electricity. Some can be made, but with an expensive and long and difficult process.

Again: Vin didn't gain any knowledge from the Well because she released it instead of using it. And after she Ascended she had other things on her mind+didn't have a chance or the ability to communicate with anyone.

Also, FYI, you don't want to double post. If you have more thoughts to add, please use the Edit button, and add to your existing post

thank you for answering.