how fast are spren?

Kalaksbreath

I don't think we've ever had a spren race in the Physical Realm, so there's really no way to judge. They don't move through the Spiritual Realm when they're manifesting in the Physical. I actually doubt they can fully enter the Spiritual Realm, without assistance, at all.

13 minutes ago, RShara said:

I don't think we've ever had a spren race in the Physical Realm, so there's really no way to judge. They don't move through the Spiritual Realm when they're manifesting in the Physical. I actually doubt they can fully enter the Spiritual Realm, without assistance, at all.

So are some spren faster than others.

Theres a quote from one of the visions, the one in the purelake, that the spren in question is not able to travel far without an ‘carrier’. We haven’t found out what that means yet, have we? 

Thats the only reference I can think of regarding spren mobility. But I imagine a riverspren probably wouldnt be able to go the the shattered plains for example. Or is it that they could be there on the CR side but they wouldnt manifest on the PR in that area? 

I dont think we have any idea of how fast the individual radiant spren can move, but we have a lot of descriptions of Syl zipping off to somewhere, which to me implies a pretty decent speed, and we know Wyndle can keep up with Lift when she slides, which is probably faster than running, right?

53 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

But I imagine a riverspren probably wouldnt be able to go the the shattered plains for example. Or is it that they could be there on the CR side but they wouldnt manifest on the PR in that area? 

Your right I don't think they could go to the shattered plains because of this quote from OB 

"And you cant take them-or most other spren-too far from human population centers on our side. They waste away and die for reasons people here don't understand."

this is Shallan talking to Kaladin about Mandras. 

I can only assume the same goes for river spren they just can't leave rivers instead of human population centers.

Edited by Kalaksbreath

26 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

this is Shallan talking to Kaladin about Mandras. 

I can only assume the same goes for river spren they just can't leave rivers instead of human population centers

Mandras are just luck spren on the CR side.

My assumption there was that it is similar to the reason there's no land mass in the CR to correspond to the open space between planets. The greater the consideration and awareness of a place by people on the PR, the stronger it's presence will be in the CR. 

Consider the scene with the ardent who was studying spren. Once she recorded a size for a flame spren, it would lock into that size. When she recorded it as being true, it became true because she believed it. When she erased it, the spren's size would fluctuate again.

Perhaps the same is true for the spren themselves, or maybe just lesser spren. If you take them away from greater concentrations of people and their awareness, they lose the ability to thrive because no one is there to witness or experience whatever forces or emotions the spren represent. It also explains why river spren are only in the river, flame spren are only in the flames etc.

That's just off the top of my head, though. I could be totally wrong.

On 10/10/2019 at 5:01 PM, RShara said:

I would absolutely love to see a spren race!

• Chaos locked this topic