Is Lirin a truth watcher?

Kalaksbreath

Is it possible that Lirin is a truth watcher also with a corrupted spren like Renarin because when Kaladin is at Hearthstone Lirin doesn't like the fact that he is a soldier because he says that war flays the soul and he didn't want Kaladin to be involved in the war? Is it possible that he got a vision of the future that shows Kaladin kneeling among soldiers with a scared expression? The reason he was so surprised to see Kaladin was a KR was that it confirmed the fact that he did, in fact, see the future.

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Is it possible that Lirin is a truth watcher also with a corrupted spren like Renarin because when Kaladin is at Hearthstone Lirin doesn't like the fact that he is a soldier because he says that war flays the soul and he didn't want Kaladin to be involved in the war? Is it possible that he got a vision of the future that shows Kaladin kneeling among soldiers with a scared expression? The reason he was so surprised to see Kaladin was a KR was that it confirmed the fact that he did, in fact, see the future.

I doubt it.  As far as we know Renarin is unprecedented.  Also he if he had regrowth powers he would be using them on the wounded.  Also Syl would likely have noticed.

11 minutes ago, Karger said:

I doubt it.  As far as we know Renarin is unprecedented.  Also he if he had regrowth powers he would be using them on the wounded.  Also Syl would likely have noticed.

Rock couldn't see Renarins spren and he may not fully understand his power. I agree that Renarin is an anomaly but I don't think it's impossible because in the gem library one of the old knights said they foresaw something and it sounded like that knight saw the future.

12 minutes ago, Solant said:

I don't think Lirin would have reacted the way he did when he found out Kal was a KR if he himself was also one.

I thought the same thing but it could have also been that what he thought was nothing of merit was something that came true.

(edit)the vision is what im talking about

Edited by Kalaksbreath

31 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I thought the same thing but it could have also been that what he thought was nothing of merit was something that came true.

That's true, but I still think he would have mentioned it to Kal once he announced it to everyone that he was a windrunner

8 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Rock couldn't see Renarins spren and he may not fully understand his power. I agree that Renarin is an anomaly but I don't think it's impossible because in the gem library one of the old knights said they foresaw something and it sounded like that knight saw the future.

It may be possible that glys is the only corrupted truthwatcher spren and he bonded both the gem archive truthwatcher and renarin. 

It also seems to me that the gem archive truthwatcher was very central to the planning of the capturing of Ba-ado-meshriem, seeing as he is the only one talking about it. Is it then possible that some of that information may have come to them through Sja-anat? May be glys willingly allowed to be corrupted so that he can then attain that knowledge. Because i am quite sure that one of the reasons it is nearly impossible to corrupt true-spren is that they need to volunteer for it. 

10 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

Rock couldn't see Renarins spren and he may not fully understand his power

Syl is not Rock.  She may be better at this kind of thing.

10 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

I agree that Renarin is an anomaly but I don't think it's impossible because in the gem library one of the old knights said they foresaw something and it sounded like that knight saw the future

But you still have not answered why he is not using Regrowth.

I think out of the orders, he is mostly likely to become either a truth watcher or an edgedancer, as he doesn't have a care for status, just need.

That being said, he is definitely not a radiant right now. Besides the fact that he seems to have insight into how war affects people, which is probably not supernatural, there is no indication that he is a radiant.

By the original post logic, anyone surprised by something is a possible truth watcher.

I don't even want him to be a radiant, I don't really like him, or find him worthy of the mantle. He is reallllyyyy judgy.

55 minutes ago, Config2 said:

By the original post logic, anyone surprised by something is a possible truth watcher.

not exactly just in this case.

56 minutes ago, Config2 said:

I don't even want him to be a radiant, I don't really like him, or find him worthy of the mantle. He is reallllyyyy judgy.

I agree with that to an extent the ideals he swears could change his views. 

1 hour ago, Kalaksbreath said:

he may not have noticed like the woman in edgedancer and didn't ever have enough stormlight to notice.

He had an infused sphere in his pocket when he met Kaladin.  If he was draining it he would have noticed.

2 hours ago, Kalaksbreath said:

The people on Roshar just accept that weird things just happened sometimes and Lirin may have a vague idea of what's happening to him. 

My point was that it was not drained.  Lirin was in a room of injured people and had at least one infused sphere.  If he could use progression even unconsciously it should have manifested at this point and the sphere would have become dun.

Edited by Karger

3 minutes ago, Karger said:

My point was that it was not drained.  Lirin was in a room of injured people and had at least one infused sphere.  If he could use progression even unconsciously it should have manifested at this point and the sphere would have become dun.

fair enough

I always felt truthwatchers had some ability to see the future without the corruption. They were always described as secretative keeping to themselves ECT. If everyone thought seeing the future is evil you'd keep it to yourself. I've just felt the difference was normal truthwatchers get cultivations future sight. Renerin on the other hand is seeing odiums.  Not to much to support this thought but its just my personal impression after reading the books

3 minutes ago, garlick said:

I always felt truthwatchers had some ability to see the future without the corruption. They were always described as secretative keeping to themselves ECT. If everyone thought seeing the future is evil you'd keep it to yourself. I've just felt the difference was normal truthwatchers get cultivations future sight. Renerin on the other hand is seeing odiums.  Not to much to support this thought but its just my personal impression after reading the books

The biggest problem with that is that the surges the Truthwatcers have are progression and lightweaving. It might be possible that their form of lightweaving has some sort of foresight but im not sure.  

19 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Truthwatchers are clearly to cultivation what bondsmiths are to honor. They may be more important then we think

I think both the orders that have the power of progression are connected to cultivation. 

and we don't know for sure that all the bondsmith spren are from Honor I think the nightwatcher is from Cultivation (though we don't know for sure if the nightwatcher is one of the Siblings) if she is then it is likely that she is from Cultivation because when Dalinar visits the valley Cultivation refers to the nightwatcher as one of her children. And I think that the other bondsmith spren is from a mixture of Cultivation and Honor.

42 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

The biggest problem with that is that the surges the Truthwatcers have are progression and lightweaving. It might be possible that their form of lightweaving has some sort of foresight but im not sure.  

Illumination.  Lightweaving is a lightweaver thing.  According to Ivory Truthwatchers see the present not the future.

40 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Truthwatchers are clearly to cultivation what bondsmiths are to honor. They may be more important then we think

How is this clear?  Culitvationspren are closer to Cultivation by name and by position on the chart.  I see no reason why they would be more important for whatever reason.

11 minutes ago, Kalaksbreath said:

though we don't know for sure if the nightwatcher is one of the Siblings

Yes we do.  Stormfather says so.