Go Go Gadget Shardspear

Hakusho Slick

Quick idea here--

Something of note to me is the fighting styles used by modern Radiants. Kaladin obviously uses spear fighting with the Sylblade, and Shallan is learning Alethi Shardblade stances from Adolin. However, Radiant Blades are wickedly versatile, as Kaladin demonstrates while fighting Szeth. It's interesting that Sanderson has mainly shown existing fighting styles adapted to Radiant Blades. This led to an interesting idea. 

If a Radiant Blade can change shape on the fly, what is to prevent someone from extending a spear from, say, 4 feet to 6 feet during a fight? If the extending action happened above your hands, the spear tip would simply extend out 2 feet. If the spear tip is still useable while being extended, a Radiant could potentially Go Go Gadget Arms stab somebody without moving any limbs-- a hell of a surprise attack. There might not be much power behind the thrust, but that's irrelevant unless your opponent is in Plate. 

If this has been used in the books (it's been a minute since I read the Kal/Szeth fight in WoR), or has been discussed or WoB'd already, please let me know. If not, what fighting style would YOU employ with a transforming weapon?

35 minutes ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Quick idea here--

Something of note to me is the fighting styles used by modern Radiants. Kaladin obviously uses spear fighting with the Sylblade, and Shallan is learning Alethi Shardblade stances from Adolin. However, Radiant Blades are wickedly versatile, as Kaladin demonstrates while fighting Szeth. It's interesting that Sanderson has mainly shown existing fighting styles adapted to Radiant Blades. This led to an interesting idea. 

If a Radiant Blade can change shape on the fly, what is to prevent someone from extending a spear from, say, 4 feet to 6 feet during a fight? If the extending action happened above your hands, the spear tip would simply extend out 2 feet. If the spear tip is still useable while being extended, a Radiant could potentially Go Go Gadget Arms stab somebody without moving any limbs-- a hell of a surprise attack. There might not be much power behind the thrust, but that's irrelevant unless your opponent is in Plate. 

If this has been used in the books (it's been a minute since I read the Kal/Szeth fight in WoR), or has been discussed or WoB'd already, please let me know. If not, what fighting style would YOU employ with a transforming weapon?

So although this is not concrete, from what I recall it seems each time Syl transformed she puffed to mist and then reformed into the weapon in question. Then again I am recalling that pattern changed his length for Shallan, so I will need to pull up the scene to see how it is described. 

edit: found the scene. So with Kaladin Syl did keep puffing to mist before each transformation, but in Shallan's case, Pattern did actually shrink in her hand

Words of Radiance page 863

Standing on one and clinging to the highest one, she summoned the Blade again and tried to cut a step even higher, but the thing was just so blasted long. Obligingly, it shrank in her hand to the size of a much shorter sword, really a big knife. 

Edited by Pathfinder

3 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

So although this is not concrete, from what I recall it seems each time Syl transformed she puffed to mist and then reformed into the weapon in question. Then again I am recalling that pattern changed his length for Shallan, so I will need to pull up the scene to see how it is described. 

I don't have a copy of the book handy, since I've loaned em all out, so thanks for checking up on this one. My rough guess is that more-demanding transformations like Kal does require an unform/reform-- but I definitely remember Pattern simply changing length at will. Even if required to dissolve and reappear, imaging swinging an axe at someone, but your axe puffs/unpuffs midswing to line up the blade with a vital area. Not quite as funny as Go Go Gadget Stab, but definitely a strong technique.

3 hours ago, Hakusho Slick said:

I don't have a copy of the book handy, since I've loaned em all out, so thanks for checking up on this one. My rough guess is that more-demanding transformations like Kal does require an unform/reform-- but I definitely remember Pattern simply changing length at will. Even if required to dissolve and reappear, imaging swinging an axe at someone, but your axe puffs/unpuffs midswing to line up the blade with a vital area. Not quite as funny as Go Go Gadget Stab, but definitely a strong technique.

This probably works.

4 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

Standing on one and clinging to the highest one, she summoned the Blade again and tried to cut a step even higher, but the thing was just so blasted long. Obligingly, it shrank in her hand to the size of a much shorter sword, really a big knife. 

Thanks for digging up the exact quote! Looks like Go Go Gadget Stab actually works!

1 hour ago, Karger said:

This probably works.

Sweet.

I'd love to see Brando involve some unconventional fighting in the upcoming books-- maybe in the back 5 as people have more time to experiment with Radiant Blades.

On 10/9/2019 at 2:15 PM, Pathfinder said:

edit: found the scene. So with Kaladin Syl did keep puffing to mist before each transformation, but in Shallan's case, Pattern did actually shrink in her hand

I have a feeling this has to do with the mind of both of them.  Kaladin's mind is much more concrete and thinks of weapons as distinct types and forms. Whereas Shallans mind is more artistic and fluid and thinks about shape and function.

3 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

I have a feeling this has to do with the mind of both of them.  Kaladin's mind is much more concrete and thinks of weapons as distinct types and forms. Whereas Shallans mind is more artistic and fluid and thinks about shape and function.

Oh that's a very interesting thought. I think you might be right.

• Chaos locked this topic