Hakusho Slick

Hello Everyone!

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone! 

I've been a Sanderson fan for a very long time,(over a decade!) and have lurked the forum frequently for answers to questions and interesting theories. I recently got my friend into Stormlight, and have been digging into the details of the Cosmere to answer his burning questions as they arise. I figured it was finally time to bite the bullet and join the 17th shard officially! It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

-H

Edited by Hakusho Slick
Typo
2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! We're glad you're here. Do you have a favorite of Sanderson's books?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Welcome! We're glad you're here. Do you have a favorite of Sanderson's books?

It's gotta be a tie between Final Empire and Oathbringer. Very different books that I like for very different reasons. Oathbringer finally makes good on the amazing characters and worldbuilding that have been simmering in the first two SA books, and it's a cathartic payoff. But, Final Empire was the first Cosmere book I ever read and has a special place in my heart.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! Hope to see you around the forums a little bit more! Final Empire was the first book I read, too, so I know the feeling :D

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Welcome! Hope to see you around the forums a little bit more! Final Empire was the first book I read, too, so I know the feeling :D

The Sanderson addiction is strong so I think I'll be here a lot ;). The first Sanderson I ever read was the first Evil Librarians at age 8 or so, then got into the Cosmere with Final Empire a few years later. Hard to believe I've been reading Brando for most of my life.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the Shard, @Hakusho Slick! Oathbringer & Final Empire, huh? (Final Empire was my first Sanderson read ever) Which world would you choose to live in, if you were given the choice: Scadrial or Roshar?

Do you have a favourite character? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Welcome to the Shard, @Hakusho Slick! Oathbringer & Final Empire, huh? (Final Empire was my first Sanderson read ever) Which world would you choose to live in, if you were given the choice: Scadrial or Roshar?

Do you have a favourite character? 

Oh man hard to say between Scadrial and Roshar. Being a background extra in both places would seriously suck since so much upheaval is happening 24/7. Roshar would be a hard sell if I was Alethi since I'm a musician, a science student, an avid reader, and a man.(Turns out I would make a good Vorin woman.) I guess I would pick Scadrial, then. Assuming we're talking Era 1, I would want to be the Smoker for a thieving crew with a middle-class restaurant/bar as a front.

As for favorite character, Dalinar. Are there really any other choices? ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Oh man hard to say between Scadrial and Roshar. Being a background extra in both places would seriously suck since so much upheaval is happening 24/7. Roshar would be a hard sell if I was Alethi since I'm a musician, a science student, an avid reader, and a man.(Turns out I would make a good Vorin woman.) I guess I would pick Scadrial, then. Assuming we're talking Era 1, I would want to be the Smoker for a thieving crew with a middle-class restaurant/bar as a front.

As for favorite character, Dalinar. Are there really any other choices? ;)

Just don't forget to cover your safehand! You could join the Ardentia or the Stormwardens. Or maybe somewhere away from the Vorin Kingdoms, Thaylenah? Azir? Liafor? Reshi? 

If I were to be a Misting/Metalborn,I'd probably choose Nicroburst or Oracle in Era 2, in Era 1 just the opposite of yours, Seeker!

Oathbringer has united everyone into the Dalinar fandom! My fav Cosmere character would have to be Shai or Kelsier though.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hakusho Slick said:

The Sanderson addiction is strong so I think I'll be here a lot ;). The first Sanderson I ever read was the first Evil Librarians at age 8 or so, then got into the Cosmere with Final Empire a few years later. Hard to believe I've been reading Brando for most of my life.

It is definitely strong! I haven't actually read any Alcatraz but I guess I need to get those picked up.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wander89 said:

It is definitely strong! I haven't actually read any Alcatraz but I guess I need to get those picked up.

Honestly I don't remember them much-- just saw them in the library as a kid, and read until there weren't any more. Then the LotR addiction kicked off until I picked up Final Empire, and the rest was history.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Honorless said:

Just don't forget to cover your safehand! You could join the Ardentia or the Stormwardens. Or maybe somewhere away from the Vorin Kingdoms, Thaylenah? Azir? Liafor? Reshi? 

If I were to be a Misting/Metalborn,I'd probably choose Nicroburst or Oracle in Era 2, in Era 1 just the opposite of yours, Seeker!

Oathbringer has united everyone into the Dalinar fandom! My fav Cosmere character would have to be Shai or Kelsier though.

For Roshar I think I would pick Alethkar and end up in the Ardentia, doing artifabrian stuff for Navani in Urithiru. Seems like the coolest job in the world, reverse engineering ancient artifacts. If I keep my current knowledge I could definitely crack fabrial walkie-talkies and air vehicles.

For Mistborn Era 2 I would want to be a twinborn compounder for zinc, to be the ultimate quick thinker and inspiring leader. Chromium compounding is probably the most powerful of the compounded powers, but I think that much Fortune has Cosmere-wide impact that I might want to steer clear of.

Kelsier is a great character, so solid choice there. I haven't read Emperor's Soul yet (I know, I know, but Stormlight Reread 3 and Wheel of Time is all I have time for given college schedules), but Shai seems like an awesome character too. Dalinar has gotta be my pick though, since he nails the "flawed hero" archetype in a way that feels fresh/clever and fits the story perfectly. Plus, his whole "the next step is most important" thing really speaks to me and what I need to do. Dalinar honestly changed my life. I think as a Radiant I would fit most with the Bondsmiths, and I'm not just saying that since they seem powerful.

So there's my Dalinar essay! It's not my fault I love his character so much, blame Sanderson for that one. :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

For Mistborn Era 2 I would want to be a twinborn compounder for zinc, to be the ultimate quick thinker and inspiring leader. Chromium compounding is probably the most powerful of the compounded powers, but I think that much Fortune has Cosmere-wide impact that I might want to steer clear of.

I haven't read Emperor's Soul yet (I know, I know, but Stormlight Reread 3 and Wheel of Time is all I have time for given college schedules)

 "the next step is most important" thing really speaks to me and what I need to do.

I have to say I didn't think of Chromium Compounding! Good catch!

As a fellow college student, I completely understand. You'll love Emperor's Soul, you can save it for later.

Ah yes, "what is the most important step a man can take?"

"It's the next one, always the next one"

My fav WORDS!!!  

Bondsmiths, huh. Personally I like the Lightweavers (though the Radiant quiz insists I am a Skybreaker) because of their system of Ideals. They're like the Hufflepuffs. I think we should all strive to speak a few of their Ideals, regardless of which Order we might belong to.

Edited by Honorless
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Honestly I don't remember them much-- just saw them in the library as a kid, and read until there weren't any more. Then the LotR addiction kicked off until I picked up Final Empire, and the rest was history.

Journey before Destination, friend!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Honorless said:

I have to say I didn't think of Chromium Compounding! Good catch!

As a fellow college student, I completely understand. You'll love Emperor's Soul, you can save it for later.

"It's the next one, always the next one"

My fav WORDS!!!  

Bondsmiths, huh. Personally I like the Lightweavers (though the Radiant quiz insists I am a Skybreaker) because of their system of Ideals. They're like the Hufflepuffs. I think we should all strive to speak a few of their Ideals, regardless of which Order we might belong to.

Yeah Chromium Compounding seems like some actual honest-to-Harmony cheating. Hopefully we see it at some point in Era 3 or 4.

Yeah college is demanding, I'm doing mostly audiobooks at this point, just so I can read during meals/trips to class. Gotta squeeze it in when you can. I'll get to it eventually.

As for the Dalinar quotes, the whole thing just really encapsulates the Oaths as well as Dalinar's character. Just a masterclass in how to hit me with the feels train.

Yeah the Order quiz insists I'm a Lightweaver, but I don't really connect with the whole lying to yourself archetype. For me it's always been knowing my mistakes and taking one step every day to fix them, hence why I like the Bondsmiths the most. But of course, telling truths to yourself cannot hurt, and I love the Lightweaver aspect of illuminating and transforming others through kindness. Just wholesome all around.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wander89 said:

Journey before Destination, friend!

Journey before destination indeed!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Honorless said:

@Hakusho Slick, what's your least favourite moment in the books?

I think the most painful moments were Moash's two big kills in Oathbringer. Great writing to set up a Kaladin foil like that, but still hurt my soul.

As for my pick for worst moment, I'd say it's Rock robbing Kaladin of the final blow at Thaylen Field. I get why he wrote it that way, but man I would've loved to see Kal get his vengeance, reflect on why he feels the need to kill, and maybe come closer to the fourth ideal as a result. Again, I respect the decision Brando made but not the most satisfying end to that fight imo-- although I will concede that it likely works better for Kal's character to have it end that way, just not for my own satisfaction.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Journey before destination indeed!

20 years ago for Fellowship. Hopefully the TV series matches up!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

20 years ago for Fellowship. Hopefully the TV series matches up!

Here's hoping! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Here's hoping! 

I'm most excited for Wheel of Time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hakusho Slick, I felt every time when Kaladin got hurt, so can't disagree with your picks.

For me, the ending of The Final Empire and The Hero of Ages were the most painful. As well as in Oathbringer, when 

Spoiler

Venli found Eshonai's corpse.

She seemed like a great character, sadly underappreciated 

Anyway, enjoy theory-crafting on the Shard! 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome! Happy pancakes!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wander89 said:

I'm most excited for Wheel of Time.

Oh man I'm very very excited for WoT. Seems like a ton of love and passion from the production team. I know the casting has been controversial but I'm withholding judgement until the show comes out. Journey before destination, after all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Honorless said:

@Hakusho Slick, I felt every time when Kaladin got hurt, so can't disagree with your picks.

For me, the ending of The Final Empire and The Hero of Ages were the most painful. As well as in Oathbringer, when 

  Reveal hidden contents

Venli found Eshonai's corpse.

She seemed like a great character, sadly underappreciated 

Anyway, enjoy theory-crafting on the Shard! 

Kaladin getting hurt just contributes to this overall feel of tiredness for me-- not sick of the books; Kal is just so beaten down, you can feel his exhaustion. It's kinda heartbreaking, and that's good writing.

I personally loved the Hero of Ages ending. I didn't see it coming but knew it needed to happen when it did. Honestly our protagonists just needed a rest.

As for the Oathbringer one you mentioned, yeah that one was brutal. I loved the way that arc was shaping, not too sure about the direction Venli will go after that. Just gotta wait and see-- journey before destination. 

And yes, happy theory crafting to you as well! Hope to see you around the forums.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Hakusho Slick said:

Oh man I'm very very excited for WoT. Seems like a ton of love and passion from the production team. I know the casting has been controversial but I'm withholding judgement until the show comes out. Journey before destination, after all.

Exactly! Amazon Prime have produced some fantastic shows recently so I'm holding hope for them

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.