One of the Oathbringer epigraph letters mention a place named Obrodai, where the sender, who is confirmed to be Patji, the Avatar of Autonomy on the First of the Sun, claims that another Avatar of their being is manifesting. Obrodai also appears to be referred to as "these waters" and as a "testing grounds" within the letter.

Elegy (paraphrased)

The second letter in this one [Oathbringer], was it written by Patji?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

We know from Arcanum Unbounded that the Drominad System has four planets in the habitable zone, all of which have water as a dominant feature on their surface and three of which are confirmed to have humans living on it. This is compared to the Rosharan System by Khriss. The fourth planet in the system, on the other hand, does not have any fully developed human societies. So, it might have a human outpost, or non-sapient fauna or something else.

I started to have suspicions. Then I found this WoB:

Pagerunner

Do all three of the Drominad worlds share a culture? Like, they don't worldhop on the second planet. Do they call themselves Second of the Sun, do they have another name for themselves?

Brandon Sanderson

They have another name for themselves.

Pagerunner

Would one of those be Obrodai, by any chance?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

So, thoughts? It seems highly likely that Obrodai might turn out to be one of the other planets in the same system as First of the Sun. Second and Third of the Sun are good candidates but the Fourth of the Sun doesn't seem to be out of the running yet either.

Edited by Honorless

Good thoughts!

I think one thing is worth noting: "these waters" in the letter doesn't actually refer to Obrodai. Patji writes, "We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai" (Ch. 50), but then later writes, "If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created. Only in this will you earn our respect" (Ch. 51), which is in fact an instruction to go to "these waters", which would completely contradict his previous statement. So the "waters" have to be where Patji is, which is almost certainly First of the Sun. This means that we have no idea whatsoever what Obrodai is like as a planet.

That said, I think your points are very good! I personally don't think that Obrodai is one of the other worlds in the Drominad System for one reason: Autonomy as a Shard favors versatility, and we know two worlds that that she has had huge and confirmed influence on (I know there's a lot more if we count heavy implications like Scadrial), and those two are Taldain and First of the Sun - a desert planet and a water planet, and very far apart from each other. This information makes me think that Autonomy prefers to spread its influence over worlds that are vastly different from each other. I know there's no real evidence for this, just an impression. Using this assumption as a premise, it would be rather unlikely for Obrodai, another world that Autonomy chose to manifest an avatar on, to be one that is very close to First of the Sun in space and theme, which the other two Drominad planets explicitly are.

But as I emphasized before, that is not a view on the topic I'd expect other people to be sold on. Your theory makes a lot of sense!

Edit: I just noticed one thing that makes it a tad unlikely for another planet in the system to be Obrodai. Patji mentions that Hoid should not "return" to Obrodai, which means that he has already gone there in the past. For all we know, he travels via perpendicularities - at least we haven't ever seen him travelling any other way, we know that he had to use the perpendicularity in Secret History and he also used the Purelake by the time of Stormlight. So there would probably have to be a perpendicularity on Obrodai, and it's very unlikely for any planet in the Drominad system to have one except for First of the Sun, since that one having one is the very thing that's so special about it. Of course, you could answer that there might be a hidden one, but I'm not saying that it's evidence against it, just that it makes it more unlikely.

Edited by Elegy

1 hour ago, Elegy said:

Good thoughts!

I think one thing is worth noting: "these waters" in the letter doesn't actually refer to Obrodai. Patji writes, "We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai" (Ch. 50), but then later writes, "If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created. Only in this will you earn our respect" (Ch. 51), which is in fact an instruction to go to "these waters", which would completely contradict his previous statement. So the "waters" have to be where Patji is, which is almost certainly First of the Sun. This means that we have no idea whatsoever what Obrodai is like as a planet.

That said, I think your points are very good! I personally don't think that Obrodai is one of the other worlds in the Drominad System for one reason: Autonomy as a Shard favors versatility, and we know two worlds that that she has had huge and confirmed influence on (I know there's a lot more if we count heavy implications like Scadrial), and those two are Taldain and First of the Sun - a desert planet and a water planet, and very far apart from each other. This information makes me think that Autonomy prefers to spread its influence over worlds that are vastly different from each other. I know there's no real evidence for this, just an impression. Using this assumption as a premise, it would be rather unlikely for Obrodai, another world that Autonomy chose to manifest an avatar on, to be one that is very close to First of the Sun in space and theme, which the other two Drominad planets explicitly are.

But as I emphasized before, that is not a view on the topic I'd expect other people to be sold on. Your theory makes a lot of sense!

Edit: I just noticed one thing that makes it a tad unlikely for another planet in the system to be Obrodai. Patji mentions that Hoid should not "return" to Obrodai, which means that he has already gone there in the past. For all we know, he travels via perpendicularities - at least we haven't ever seen him travelling any other way, we know that he had to use the perpendicularity in Secret History and he also used the Purelake by the time of Stormlight. So there would probably have to be a perpendicularity on Obrodai, and it's very unlikely for any planet in the Drominad system to have one except for First of the Sun, since that one having one is the very thing that's so special about it. Of course, you could answer that there might be a hidden one, but I'm not saying that it's evidence against it, just that it makes it more unlikely.

Cultivation's Perpendicularity has been all but confirmed to be the pools on top of the Horneater Peaks. The Purelake, it would seem, will remain another mystery for a while at least.

I don't think Autonomy will let go of the opportunity of getting multiple planets in a single system. It doesn't make sense to only have interests in FotS and leave the other inhabited planets, not when they're so close & untouched by other Shards.

Huh, you're right "these waters" does seem to refer to a different place. But that makes the numbers match all the better. Obrodai, plus this place and FotS makes three planets = the number of the planets inhabited by humans in the Drominad System

5 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Huh, you're right "these waters" does seem to refer to a different place. But that makes the numbers match all the better. Obrodai, plus this place and FotS makes three planets = the number of the planets inhabited by humans in the Drominad System

"These waters" refers to FotS

1 hour ago, Honorless said:

Cultivation's Perpendicularity has been all but confirmed to be the pools on top of the Horneater Peaks. The Purelake, it would seem, will remain another mystery for a while at least.

The Purelake is most probably a perpendicularity, given that Hoids appears out of it, people are told to disappear through it or see strange things in there (Shadesmar) and the members of the 17th Shard search for him there, indicating that they expect him to be around there. It's extremely likely that it would be Cultivation's for a multitude of reasons, but that's more or less besides the point. The point itself is that we haven't seen Hoid travel using any other means, and we have seen him use perpendicularities many times, implying that he needs them, because why else would he use them. So I doubt he could access Obrodai without a perpendicurity, and he accessed it in the past. I believe it's a Shardworld (so it has a perpendicularity) but the Shard is no longer there (so Autonomy can mess with it). But who knows...

Edited by Elegy

5 hours ago, Elegy said:

The Purelake is most probably a perpendicularity, given that Hoids appears out of it, people are told to disappear through it or see strange things in there (Shadesmar) and the members of the 17th Shard search for him there, indicating that they expect him to be around there. It's extremely likely that it would be Cultivation's for a multitude of reasons, but that's more or less besides the point. The point itself is that we haven't seen Hoid travel using any other means, and we have seen him use perpendicularities many times, implying that he needs them, because why else would he use them. So I doubt he could access Obrodai without a perpendicurity, and he accessed it in the past. I believe it's a Shardworld (so it has a perpendicularity) but the Shard is no longer there (so Autonomy can mess with it). But who knows...

Hoid appeared out of the Horneater "Oceans", which is why Numuhukumakiaki'aialunamor's people have a name for him (Lunu'anaki) and regard him as a god "who cannot hurt others", Rock also mentions that his people sometimes visit the place of the gods while swimming in the pool. He also says that other races die in the pool (though Sigzil says that's because the Unkalaki shoot them). The pools are why the Unkalaki can live in the peaks despite the altitude and the cold (and possibly why some of them can see spren)

It has been mentioned as being in the peaks, blocked by the Fused, in Oathbringer. Vivenna as Azure outright says that Cultivation's Perpendicularity is on the peaks and she intends to go that way.

The 17th Shard was looking for Hoid at the Purelake because, as he mentions in the letter, he tricked them by spreading rumours.

Edited by Honorless

Fair enough. But it doesn't change anything about my point, or does it? Hoid uses perpendicularities, Hoid has been to Obrodai, so Obrodai will likely have a perpendicularity that Hoid used, and the Drominad system doesn't appear to have one besides First of the Sun (because that one having one makes it the only planet of note to Khriss). Is there something about this that doesn't fit together as smoothly as I think?

Could FotS itself be Obrodai? We've seen examples of different cultures calling the same continent & planet by different names on Sel...

The problem is that Sixth of the Dusk is set in Mistborn era 4. Hoid is said to eventually have access to a personal mini-perpendicularity. Other systems of Investiture like the Surge of Transportation might exist on 2nd or 3rd.

It's mostly the water comment and that two human societies have not been featured in any stories that has me thinking about Obrodai's whereabouts

On 10/10/2019 at 8:24 AM, Elegy said:

Fair enough. But it doesn't change anything about my point, or does it? Hoid uses perpendicularities, Hoid has been to Obrodai, so Obrodai will likely have a perpendicularity that Hoid used, and the Drominad system doesn't appear to have one besides First of the Sun (because that one having one makes it the only planet of note to Khriss). Is there something about this that doesn't fit together as smoothly as I think?

Khriss's letter is quite old (it predates Patji coming to First of the Sun at least), we canonot be sure FotS is still the only planet with a perpendicularity on it's system. This being said Obrodai was recently claimed by ambition and perpendicularity appears to need time to develop so it would probably need to have had a perpendicularity beforehand

On 10/10/2019 at 9:52 AM, Honorless said:

Could FotS itself be Obrodai? We've seen examples of different cultures calling the same continent & planet by different names on Sel...

The problem is that Sixth of the Dusk is set in Mistborn era 4. Hoid is said to eventually have access to a personal mini-perpendicularity. Other systems of Investiture like the Surge of Transportation might exist on 2nd or 3rd.

It's mostly the water comment and that two human societies have not been featured in any stories that has me thinking about Obrodai's whereabouts

Sixth of the dusk is set in Mistborn era 4 but the letters are set at the latest in the Stormlight era and it would be surprising he has obtained a mini-perpendicularity in the 70years between Mistborn era 1 and Stormlight

And FotS cannot be Obrodai because Patji wouldn't have to put a specialy-made avatar of Ambition to protect FotS from Hoid (Patji would have be far enough) and she needed one for Obrodai

@mathiau Just to clear up a misunderstanding, it is implied strongly that Patji is the avatar that responded to Hoid, that Hoid sent the letter to First of the Sun, but that does not mean Patji was made to keep Hoid way, only that Patji is an avatar that might have been made from the investiture there, rather than having to have travelled there, but Patji could have done either. Either way, the avatar at Obrodai has been instilled with a dislike for Hoid, but again that doesn't mean that avatar was made to prevent Hoid from travelling to Obrodai, only that Autonomy doesn't want Hoid travelling to Obrodai any more, and so is taking steps with the avatar there.

On 10.10.2019 at 9:52 AM, Honorless said:

The letters are written around the time of Stormlight and Patji implies Hoid having visited Obrodai in the past in his letter. So he travelled there before Stormlight, not by the time of Mistborn 4 and/or Sixth of the Dusk.

1 hour ago, mathiau said:

Khriss's letter is quite old (it predates Patji coming to First of the Sun at least), we canonot be sure FotS is still the only planet with a perpendicularity on it's system. This being said Obrodai was recently claimed by ambition and perpendicularity appears to need time to develop so it would probably need to have had a perpendicularity beforehand

Khriss' essays have to have been written quite some time after Hero of Ages, since she mentions how surprising the development of Scadrial has been, and all the essays are written around the same time, so that also applies to the Drominad essay. It has been the only planet with a perpendicularity by the time of the essays and the essays have been written not too soon before Stormlight for the aforementioned reason. Patji implies Hoid having been to Obrodai in his letter, which is by the time of Stormlight. So yes, we can at least be moderately sure that Obrodai has had a perpendicularity by the time of Khriss writing the essays.

Edited by Elegy

On 9.10.2019 at 8:10 PM, Elegy said:

I know it is quite off the topic, but I just realised that, as we know that Hoid has been to Obrodai before SA, there must have been a perpendicularity on Obrodai before an Avatar of Autonomy arrived/was created. Or did I mess the timeline?
I feel like I didn't (at least I hope so) so it would mean there must have been a Shard on Obrodai before or there happened something stranger.

Questioner

How many of the worlds in the cosmere do you eventually plan to talk about that we don't know about?

Brandon Sanderson

...From what's been released, you've gotten almost all the important ones. There's, like, two or three ones I would consider relevant to... for instance, the planet that the Aethers, from Aether of Night, which is an unpublished book-- that's still part of the cosmere, I'm gonna do some stuff there. There are a couple of other worlds, one is mentioned in Oathbringer, just very briefly, in one of the epigraphs. There are others that I'll get to. But, when I designed the cosmere: Scadrial (Mistborn), Sel (Elantris), and Roshar were my pillars of the Cosmere story. With Yolen, the planet where it all started, just kind of being behind-the-scenes relevant. Those are the pillars of our story. Other planets will come into it, but those three-- there's nothing more important than the ones you've seen already.

Oathbringer San Francisco signing (Nov. 15, 2017)

The bolded part most likely refers to Obrodai - so there happened something significant, but whether it was before or it is the part about the Avatar - I don't know.

On 11/10/2019 at 7:31 PM, Elegy said:

Khriss' essays have to have been written quite some time after Hero of Ages, since she mentions how surprising the development of Scadrial has been, and all the essays are written around the same time, so that also applies to the Drominad essay. It has been the only planet with a perpendicularity by the time of the essays and the essays have been written not too soon before Stormlight for the aforementioned reason. Patji implies Hoid having been to Obrodai in his letter, which is by the time of Stormlight. So yes, we can at least be moderately sure that Obrodai has had a perpendicularity by the time of Khriss writing the essays.

Oh. Then that either means Patji have claimed weirdly close to Khriss' essays or that he's not on FotS. If it is second Obrodai could be FotS and the Avatar he's referring to some kind of forerunner.

Huh, so we have two confirmed Avatars of Autonomy.

Patji refers to Autonomy as 'us' (please no Communism jokes) and seems up to date on the Avatar on Obrodai, in fact actively involved in her formation...

As well as two new confirmed Shardworlds: Obrodai and "these waters", probably referring to FotS

Other Shardworlds we know of: Scadrial, Roshar, Sel, Nalthis, Taldain, Yolen, Ashyn, Braize, Second of the Sun, Third of the Sun (First through Third are assuming that they are not, in fact Obrodai),

Spoiler

Vaeria or Lor (the world of Aethers)

and the ever mysterious Vax (I wonder if it might be another Autonomy world, given that it was mentioned alongside Taldain by Khriss in her notes on Sel in the Arcanum)

For reference this is the letter written by Patji addressed to Cephandrius:

"Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem,

You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship.

You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us--though we know not how you located us upon this world.

We are indeed intrigued, for we thought it well hidden. Insignificant among our many realms.

As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute.

Alone.

Did you expect anything else from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. Rayse is contained, and we care not for his prison.

Indeed, we admire his initiative. Perhaps if you had approached the correct one of us with your plea, it would have found favorable audience.

But we stand in the sea, pleased with our domains. Leave us alone."

We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai. We have claimed that world, and a new avatar of our being is beginning to manifest there.

She is young yet, and--as a precaution--she has been instilled with an intense and overpowering dislike of you.

This is all we will say at this time. If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created.

Only in this will you earn our respect.

Obrodai is the world where the new Avatar of Autonomy is being formed. "These waters", on the other hand, probably refer to First of the Sun due to "the tests".

Spoiler

(Also the rest of the letters are pleas to various Shards, inter-Shardic warfare is getting closer! Or at least one of them might send indirect help. Probably Harmony) 

Spoiler

"Earn (Patji's) respect"? Well then... a certain Worldhopper on Roshar got even MORE interesting... and alarming. Just how did he get his hands on an Aviar?

We also have this WoB:

ReadAndFindOut

In 2014, Brandon said First of the Sun - the planet in Sixth of the Dusk - is a minor Shardworld, in that it does not have a Shard present (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/103-salt-lake-city-comic-con-2014/#e1010). However, we've now gotten a WoB saying that Patji - the Father island - IS a Shard (https://wob.coppermind.net/events/256-oathbringer-london-signing/#e8606). Patji was a Shard, but isn't during SotD? Or did we finally get confirmation on that elusive "Survival Shard"? What do you guys think?

Brandon Sanderson

I stand by them. Though, as always, quotes and WoBs at signings aren't always as deliberately thought out as I'd like them to be. Answering questions on the fly can be challenging, and my phrasing can be bad in retrospect.

But no Shard was in residence on First of the Sun during the events of that story. The Investiture on that planet is residue, normal Investiture from Adonalsium. Everything happening there could happen with or without a Shard present. Indeed, I would say that no Shard was ever "in residence" on First of the Sun.

The being called Patji still exists, and is a Shard of Adonalsium. Shards in the past have been interested in First of the Sun, and have meddled in small ways there. (Like they have on a lot of Shardworlds.)

Note that I might have been a little misleading in the first quote by bringing up Threnody, which is a real corner case in the cosmere because of uncommon events there.

That said, I'm sure that every story I write about a planet will bring up the quirks and unusual interactions of the magic there, because that's kind of what I do. (First of the Sun has its own oddities, as mentioned in Arcanum Unbounded.) Every planet is likely to end up as a corner case in some way, just like every person is distinctive in their own way, and never fully fits expectations.

I still consider one of the major dividing lines between "major" and "minor" Shardworlds (other than Shard residence) to be in strength of access to the magic, and control over it. I intend the minor Shardworlds to involve interactions with the magic as setting--coming back to spren, you could have a minor Shardworld with people who use, befriend, even bond spren. (Or the local equivalent--Seon, Aviar, etc.) But you'd never see power on the level of the city of Elantris, the actions of a Bondsmith, or even the broad power suite of a Mistborn.

But, as ever, the cosmere is a work in progress. The needs of telling a great story trump things I've said about what I'm planning. (I do try as much as I can to avoid having two texts contradict one another. And when they do, that's often a lapse on my part.)

Oversleep

Wait.

I'm confused.

So the Investiture on First of the Sun is associated with a Shard or is it residue, normal Investiture from Adonalsium?

Cause the question was a follow up (on this) where you revealed that all Investiture in Cosmere got assigned to a Shard even if it wasn't part of a Shard.

And then you said that the one on First of the Sun is directly associated with one of the Shards (and since later you revealed Patji to be an avatar of Autonomy (also, what are avatars and how do they work?)) we took it to mean that at one point Autonomy Invested in First of the Sun.

But now you're saying it didn't?

If there was no Shard ever on First of the Sun but Patji is a Shard/avatar of a Shard then where is Patji, actually?

Could you please clarify all that?

Brandon Sanderson

So the Investiture on First of the Sun is associated with a Shard or is it residue, normal Investiture from Adonalsium?"

The reason I have so much trouble answering these questions (and you'll see me struggling to get an answer in the 10-15 seconds I have when someone asks me in a signing line) is because this isn't an either or. Is this computer I'm using matter associated with Earth, the Big Bang, or such-and-such star that went supernova long ago? Well, it's probably all three.

When people ask, "What Shard is this Investiture associated with" it gets very complicated. Shards influence and tweak certain Investiture, giving it a kind of spin or magnetism, but all Investiture ever predates the Shattering--and in the cosmere matter, energy, and Investiture are one thing.

I always imagine Investiture having certain states, certain magnetisms if you will, associated with certain aspects of Adonalsium. So it's all "assigned" to a Shard--because it's always been associated with that Shard. To Investiture, Adonalsium's Shattering meant everything and nothing at the same time.

We generally mean the term "Invested" to mean a Shard has taken permanent residence in a location, a kind of base of operations--but at the same time, this is meaningless, since distance has no meaning on the Spiritual Realm, where most Shards are. So imprisonment of a Shard like Ruin or Odium is a crude expression--but the best we have.

Autonomy never "Invested" on First of the Sun. But even answering (as someone else asked) if they created an avatar without visiting is a difficult thing to explain--because even explaining how a Shard travels (when motion is irrelevant) is difficult to manage. It's a subject that I intend to be up for debate, discussion, and argument by in-world philosophers and arcanists.

You can see why I have such troubles explaining these things at signings--and why I fail when I try to, considering the time limitations and (often) fatigue limitations placed upon me. These are concepts I intend to spend entire, lengthy epic volumes explaining and exploring.

Let's say you were Autonomy, and you have--through expanding and exploring your understanding--found a gathering of Investiture that has always been there, you always knew about, but still didn't actually recognize until the moment you considered and explored it. (Because even though your power is infinite, accessing and using that infinity is beyond your reach.) Were you "Invested" there? No, no more than you're Invested on Roshar, where parts of what were Adonalsium still exist that are associated with you (in the very fabric of mater and existence.) But suddenly, you have a chance to tweak, influence, and do things that were always possible, but which you never could do because you knew, but didn't know, at the same time.

And...I'm already into WAY more than I want to be typing this out right now. If it's confusing, it's because it's practically impossible for me to explain these things in a short span of time.

I'm going to leave it here, understanding that no, I haven't fully explained your question. (I didn't even get into what avatars are, what Patji was, and what happened to Patji the being--and how that relates to Patji the island.) But hopefully this kind of starts to point the right direction, though I probably should have just left this question alone because I bet this post is going to raise more questions than it answers...

Overlord Jebus

You've confused things so much now. We thought we had a pretty good grasp of this whole Patji situation (Autonomy visited the planet at some point, got themselves all Invested and created an avatar which is called Patji by the locals).

Now you're saying no Shard has ever visited there? And that the pool would have existed if no Shard had ever interfered? But that Patji still exists and is a Shard?

Does that mean Autonomy edited First of the Sun from afar without actually going there? And that the pool would have already existed without any intervention? Does this mean it was associated with Autonomy from the beginning? I'm really confused now.

Brandon Sanderson

I don't believe I said no Shard had visited. I said no Shard was there during the events of the story.

Investiture on First of the Sun predates any Shards fiddling with it.

Shards have fiddled with it by the time of the story.

I think fandom might be going down too far a rabbit hole on this one.

Chaos

Are you saying here that Patji is an avatar of Autonomy, or is it a separate Shard and not an avatar of Autonomy?

Brandon Sanderson

When I said Patji was a Shard, I was meaning Automony--but it is not quite that simple.

Take this post to mean "no, you should not be looking toward another Shard for Patji's origins. Autonomy is the one relevant." But Autonomy's relationships with entities like this (not sure entity is the right word, even) is complex. I'm not trying to confuse the issue, though.

General Reddit 2018 (March 18, 2018)

This WoB seems to imply that Shards can use Investiture associated with them, which they did not hold or interact with in a direct manner during their Ascension. This Investiture is affiliated with the Intent of the Shard but not consciously utilized by the Shareholder, rather having been put to use to create an ecosystem by Adonalsium. Also note that Investiture, by its very nature, seeks to gain sentience.

Meaning, Autonomy might not be Splintering herself. She might instead be proliferating. There's more of her, in number and scale of Investiture. This might still use a bit of her Cognitive aspect though, we don't know.

Thank you @Elegy for your criticisms on my theory, thank you to rest of you too for contributing @ChickenLiberty, @mathiau, @Ixthos, @Nnatel, and I too saw what you did there @Toaster Retribution.

Other threads speculating on Obrodai:

Edited by Dreamer
added links

• Chaos locked this topic