Greetings from the Physical Realm!

Marssen

Hello, everyone! I wanted to introduce myself.

After ten intense months of reading the Cosmere universe, I can finally lurk, investigate and share my thoughts about it.

Thanks to a dear friend that lent me every book, I started reading in Jaunary and ended up on October 7th. Just a few days ago. I've been following the guidelines of said friend to read each book or series in an appropiate order so I wouldn't spoil myself looking on the Internet (because as many others, I love lore and spending countless hours investingating about it). As a precaution, I've been kept in the absolute dark regarding the Cosmere on the Internet, its communities and information about it. Until now. Finally.

I don't know much about this site, the 17th Shard, but the few things I looked up redirected me here all the time (forums, The Coppermind), So I though "yeah, I bet that's the best place to be in regards to the Cosmere", and here I am. I don't know if I'll be posting or commenting much, but sure I'll be lurking and adding to the discusion when I can (there's a lot of information, theories and the likes to take in, so I'll need some time to catch up).

I've read a lot of fantasy novels and series, but let me tell you, Brandon Sanderson's Cosmere is something else. Connected stories and shared universes are things I've been keen on since I was a little kid, so I knew I was in for an amazing ride, and it has delivered. I've come to like or love each book. From the gritty and amazing Mistborn series to the interesting and unique short stories from the Ars Arcanum, going through stand-alone novels like Warbreaker (this last one I remember fondly) and ending with the mastodontic The Stormlight Archive, this has been one of the best literary experiences I had in my entire life.

Although each title has surprised one way or another, it is The Stormlight Archive the one that ascended beyon. It has been a tough competition, because Mistborn's first era will forever have a place in my heart, but I'm a sucker for really big, slow-burning stories, and Stormlight is a dream come true in that regard.

So there's that, a bit of backstory. This seems like a neat place, so I'll be hanging arround, if you don't mind. :)

Welcome to the Shard, @MichaelMarssen!

Reading Sanderson does tend to spoil you from reading other fantasy for a while, doesn't it? If you have any suggestions regarding any book that's similar to Sanderson, please post it on the forums, otherwise I think we all might genuinely die in between Sanderson's releases (he's still amazingly fast with his releases though, we're just that spoiled)

So, what have been the best moments within the Cosmere for you?

Mine are

Spoiler

the Rashek/Alendi reveal, the oft-forgotten sacrifice of Reen, Vin's Ascension, Sazed's Ascension, entirely of Secret History, Emperor's Soul and Sixth of the Dusk, Vivenna running as a beggar, Kaladin losing Tien, the Bridgeruns, Shallan getting haunted by the Cryptics, Dalinar's reveal

, dear god... never mind, it's impossible to list them all :lol:

Edited by Honorless

Thank you, Honorless! (I think I cannot quote or mention you, for some reason). 

Sanderson definitely spoils one from reading more fantasy! hahaha. :lol: I was planning on reading some Terry Pratchett's Discworld, but I can't stop thinking about the Cosmere. I mean, I won't ignore series from other authors, but after ten months experiencing this amazing universe it is going to be hard focusing on anything else. But I could share some other authors to make the long wait easier (although I'm pretty sure the users here already know them).

Regarding my favorite Cosmere moments, hmm. That's a hard one. My absolute top three are (spoilers ahead):

1. Spoiler

1. Dalinar's "you cannot have my pain" at the end of Oathbringer, followed by one of the best climax I have ever read.
    2. Sazed's ascension. Even though I consider Stormlight my favorite Cosmere series, Sazed's ascension at the end of The Hero of the Ages is still one of the most satisfactory pieces of text I've read. "They say that the hero will bear the future of the world on his arms. Not on his shoulders. Not in his hands. On his arms". Still gives me the goosebumps!
    3. Kaladin speaking the third Ideal during Words of Radiance (and the amazing climax that follows). It was like a piece that falls into place perfectly. The way Kaladin states, not says, states "the Knights Radiant have returned". Is like the entire world of Roshar is holding his breath while waiting for a simple bridgeboy to make a move that will change everything.

Those are my favorites. Of course I have many, many minor favorite moments in other books or stories (more spoilers ahead).

Spoiler

Same as yours, when Shallan is running from the Cryptics and ends up traveling to Shadesmar and soulcasting (that was the moment that cemented her as my favorite character, I was in awe). In Elantris, when Raoden finally understands the real purpose of Elantris and starts drawing the big aon in the sand at the end. Denth's betrayal in Warbreaker hit me really hard, I was shocked. Secret History is lthe best epilogue that Mistborn's first era could have. And for some reason I loved Shadows for Silence in the Forest of Hell. The setting was amazing on that one

And many, many more!

Edited by Michael Marssen
Marked spoilers as such.

For some reason, in Elantris,

Spoiler

more than the completion of the Aon, rejecting the pool or Hrathen's final act, it was Karata's death as well as the line of execution and seeing Sarene's students try, that hit me hard (also got to see another two systems of Investiture in that scene!)

Which of the Cosmere worlds would you choose to live in? Which system of Investiture would be your choice?

Also, have you taken the Knights Radiant quiz? What Order did you get? 

Sorry about swamping you with questions but... Cosmere!

Edited by Honorless

Welcome! I recently did a re-read of the full Cosmere myself and was blown away at the little tid-bits I missed out on. Sanderson really does ruin us as fans before, during and after! I'm currently reading Wheel of Time for the first time and it's complete different yet utterly enticing. What's your favourite non-Sanderson books??

23 hours ago, Honorless said:

For some reason, in Elantris, more than the completion of the Aon, rejecting the pool or Hrathen's final act, it was Karata's death as well as the line of execution and seeing Sarene's students try, that hit me hard (also got to see another two systems of Investiture in that scene!)

Which of the Cosmere worlds would you choose to live in? Which system of Investiture would be your choice?

Also, have you taken the Knights Radiant quiz? What Order did you get? 

Sorry about swamping you with questions but... Cosmere!

Don't worry about the questions! After all this time, I'm loving talking about all this stuff, hahaha.

If I have to chose a Cosmere world to live in I'd say Nalthis. While reading Warbreaker I was loving the way Sanderson described Hallandren, or even Idris (although the last one seems a bit sad, with all the rules agains the Breath, Awakening and Returning). Still, the world looks beatiful enough. Another option would Scadrial during second era. I bet Eldendel is a very interesting city.

And, regarding Investiture, I'd to say either stormlight or Breath, reason being that I love abstract representations of magic systems. More battle-focused systems are really cool too, but something I like about stormlight investiture is that, although you can use it for combat, it has many purposes, it is really versatile. My favorite order are Lightweavers because soulcasting and lightweaven sound amazing to me. I know some people consider them boring, but as I said, I love that sort of abstract investiture. And I haven't taken the Knights Radiant quiz, but I'll do it as soon as I can!

What about you? Tell me all your Cosmere favorites! From worls to Investiture or characters.

Edited by Michael Marssen
Spelling.

15 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Welcome! I recently did a re-read of the full Cosmere myself and was blown away at the little tid-bits I missed out on. Sanderson really does ruin us as fans before, during and after! I'm currently reading Wheel of Time for the first time and it's complete different yet utterly enticing. What's your favourite non-Sanderson books??

That's a though one! Hmm. I'd say The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. There's nothing mindblowing about it, but the way it tells its protagonist story and the sense of adventure and passion is really unique to it. The best way to define it is wholesome. Besides, Rothfuss prose is wonderful. Bad thing that the third book is taking so much time, but the author is going through a hard time, so I don't have a problem waiting for it. I love Tolkien's Middle Earth and George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think those need introduction, hahaha.

What about yours? :)

12 hours ago, Aragorn said:

Welcome to the Shard, and happy pancakes to you!!!!  I totally agree with your Cosmere moments, who is your favorite character in each of the books?

Thank you very much! Here they are:

Spoiler

• Mistborn first era: Sazed, Vin and Elend. Sazed will always have a place in my hurt, he is amazing.
  • Mistborn second era: Wax. It has to be Wax.
  • Warbreaker: Vivenna. Her arc is amazing, going from a naive, unexperienced girl to someone who leanrs through hard times and overcomes every obstacle.
  • Elantris. Raoden and Hrathen. The first one is very enthusiastic and Elend-like and the second one is truly insteresting. A discliplined believer going through a faith crisis. Hrathen's arc and evolution is one of the best in the entire Cosmere, mostly because it happens just in one book, which is amazing if you think about it.
  • Stormlight Archive: Shallan and Dalinar. From what I understand, people hate Shallan, but I relate to her in a very personal level. I saw myself in a lot of her psychological and mental problems, which instantly made me understand her on a deeper level. Besides, I love her wits, art and smarts. I understad why people don't like her, but I have to say she is my absolute favorite Cosmere character. And Dalinar... what do I need to say? He is Blackthorn! The name speaks for himself, hahaha. Oathbringer's ending made him one of the best characters in all Cosmere for me. "You cannot have my pain".

As you can see, I love idealistic characters like Elend, or Raoden. On the other hand I feel very conected with psychological destroyed characters like Vin or Shallan. And the faith crisis theme always amaze me, like with Sazed or Hrathen. Man, I could talk about characters for hours, they're one of the most interesting aspects about this universe. I'm trying to keep it short, hahaha.

4 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Welcome to the Shard! We're glad you're here. Quick request: could you hide spoilers under the aptly named spoiler tags? It wasn't a problem for me personally, but I wouldn't want a new reader to have the climaxes for most of the major books ruined because they read an intro thread.

@Honorless @Michael Marssen

Sorry about it! Already edited everything. I'm still learning to use the formating options. It won't happen again.

1 hour ago, Michael Marssen said:

What about you? Tell me all your Cosmere favorites! From worls to Investiture or characters.

I love all of them! Agh! But to live on one of them... Scadrial (second era) or Taldain (Darkside), maybe Sel too (Elantris, other parts of the world we haven't seen yet)

For the magic, I have to agree. I love the method (the Ideals) of the Knights Radiant and the versatility of the Surges. The Three Metallic Arts are also very creative.

I am very conflicted about the Stormlight characters 

Spoiler

I hate Nale for killing Ym and who knows how many others, but then I realize this guy got tortured for millennia and still came back to fight for humanity.

I hate Shallan for her comments about Darkeyes (excuse me? "comparing women to peasants"? The inherent problems aside, what about peasant women, Shallan? But then I look back at her history. Believes she doesn't deserve happiness, killed parents, thinks her tragedy wasn't that tragic so she's got no right to complain, multiple personality disorder; to sum up, she's broken. She and Adolin better treat Kaladin, Renarin, each other, Pattern & Maya right! 

Ugh, Dalinar...  where to put you. I hate to admit that so much of my judgement seems to simply be that I like you. But burning an entire city? His character arc isn't far along enough for me to decide yet. In my heart he is as controversial to love as Amaram or Moash (I don't hate them... I can't, Damnation take Sadeas, though)

I felt for my boy, Kaladin throughout his journey. Lift was amazing. Every interlude character ever too, especially Rysn. 

In Elantris, I liked reading Sarene for the most part. Warbreaker, definitely Vivenna's journey, but I liked Denth's character the most.

For Mistborn, since book 2, Elend. Vin too, of course, aside from Kelsier, Sazed, TenSoon, OreSeur (Renoux), Ham, Breeze, Dox, Allrianne, Yomen, Marsh, Leras, also Alendi (can we have a Classical era Scadrial book, please? Era 2, Wax and Marasi, Aradel and Allik were interesting too

I loved Shai from Emperor's Soul. Sixth and Vathi from Sixth of the Dusk. Silence Montane from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. After reading Vol 3 & prose, Kenton from White Sand too.

Edited by Honorless

8 hours ago, Michael Marssen said:

That's a though one! Hmm. I'd say The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. There's nothing mindblowing about it, but the way it tells its protagonist story and the sense of adventure and passion is really unique to it. The best way to define it is wholesome. Besides, Rothfuss prose is wonderful. Bad thing that the third book is taking so much time, but the author is going through a hard time, so I don't have a problem waiting for it. I love Tolkien's Middle Earth and George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire, but I don't think those need introduction, hahaha.

Name of the Wind is such beautiful prose that it definitely makes you feel right there! I'd have to say Ursula Le Guin's Earthsea. Simple books but they are sheer perfection.

9 hours ago, Michael Marssen said:

Well, here I go,

Spoiler

Mistborn Era 1: Vin, Kelsier, Sazed.

Mistborn Era 2: You gotta love Wayne, I also like Ranette, and Steris (well, in the later books)

Elantris: Sarene, Roial, and Galladon

SA: Lopen:D, Kaladin, Rock, Syl, Lift, and, Adolin (There are more, but I have not slept in days.) *laughs maniacally*

22 hours ago, Honorless said:

I love all of them! Agh! But to live on one of them... Scadrial (second era) or Taldain (Darkside), maybe Sel too (Elantris, other parts of the world we haven't seen yet)

For the magic, I have to agree. I love the method (the Ideals) of the Knights Radiant and the versatility of the Surges. The Three Metallic Arts are also very creative.

I am very conflicted about the Stormlight characters 

Hide contents

I hate Nale for killing Ym and who knows how many others, but then I realize this guy got tortured for millennia and still came back to fight for humanity.

I hate Shallan for her comments about Darkeyes (excuse me? "comparing women to peasants"? The inherent problems aside, what about peasant women, Shallan? But then I look back at her history. Believes she doesn't deserve happiness, killed parents, thinks her tragedy wasn't that tragic so she's got no right to complain, multiple personality disorder; to sum up, she's broken. She and Adolin better treat Kaladin, Renarin, each other, Pattern & Maya right! 

Ugh, Dalinar...  where to put you. I hate to admit that so much of my judgement seems to simply be that I like you. But burning an entire city? His character arc isn't far along enough for me to decide yet. In my heart he is as controversial to love as Amaram or Moash (I don't hate them... I can't, Damnation take Sadeas, though)

I felt for my boy, Kaladin throughout his journey. Lift was amazing. Every interlude character ever too, especially Rysn. 

In Elantris, I liked reading Sarene for the most part. Warbreaker, definitely Vivenna's journey, but I liked Denth's character the most.

For Mistborn, since book 2, Elend. Vin too, of course, aside from Kelsier, Sazed, TenSoon, OreSeur (Renoux), Ham, Breeze, Dox, Allrianne, Yomen, Marsh, Leras, also Alendi (can we have a Classical era Scadrial book, please? Era 2, Wax and Marasi, Aradel and Allik were interesting too

I loved Shai from Emperor's Soul. Sixth and Vathi from Sixth of the Dusk. Silence Montane from Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell. After reading Vol 3 & prose, Kenton from White Sand too.

This is a very interesting subject.

Spoiler

Dalinar is the trickiest one, because he is trying to make a full 180 turn, but his past and actions are way too heavy to be ignored. We find the perfect example in Oathbringer, when he is trying to band everyone together but he can't because, although he's unable to remember what he did to Evi and Rathalas, others do, and they're horrified by it.

I think that, in the end, Dalinar is redeemable. I know it is very hard to agree with this, but Dalinar is a completely different person, who is trying to improve things for everyone from the botton of its heart. He is trying so hard to be the person his brother wanted him to be that, even if you dislike him, I think it is agreeable that he is definitely trying. And there's the Thrill, which highly influenced Dalinar's life. The Unmade was controlling Dalinar's rage and Gavilar was using him as a tool to conquer Alethkar, I'd say is surprising how Dalinar keeps a relatively healthy mental state after all of that.

But then again, I completely understand that is hard to actually sympathise with him, which makes his character even better. Such complexity and deepness.

One day we have to talk about Shallan! As my favorite character, I find discussions about her very interesting.