3 hours ago, Elbereth said:

On that note, anyone who hasn’t picked a character yet want to play the Grand I’m talking to? I’d love a RP partner!

I'll do it. I've been having trouble coming up with a character of my own anyway. :P 

~

Roashina had suspected that there would be a murder at this meeting. He'd even attempted to warn the others, without seeming like he knew too much. Of course, Urskevan hadn't been there to hear his warning. And now that Urskevan was actually dead, Roashina would have to be extra careful. 

Once Ellira was done with her screaming and questions, he calmly took her shoulders and tried to calm her down. "Look, one man dying means nothing so long as we remain vigilant from here on out. The murderer cannot be too far from here. I suspect that they're someone who was invited to this meeting. If we work carefully, we should be able to figure out who they are before anyone else...has an unfortunate accident." Hopefully that will calm her down, Roashina thought to himself. 

~

12 minutes ago, DeTess said:

Anyway, if you're checking in on this thread and find yourself thinking 'I've got nothing to talk about', how about trying to answer this question: If you where an elim, what would you be looking for to try and ID the spy? If plenty of people answer this question, it should give the spy an idea of what not to do (which could be very useful if the spy is a new player), and it should also give everyone else an idea about what they could do to try and muddy the waters for the elims.

Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. If we all say what we would do as the spy, then it gives the elims an idea of what to look out for to try and catch the spy. Obviously, whoever the spy is would say that they recommend the spy to do one thing and instead do the opposite themselves. Unless the spy was really ballsy and decided to do the exact thing they said the spy shouldn't. But even then, that's pretty risky. 

Also, kinda unrelated, but it's gonna get very confusing having to discuss about a role called Striker. :P 

7 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Personally, I think this is a really bad idea. If we all say what we would do as the spy, then it gives the elims an idea of what to look out for to try and catch the spy. Obviously, whoever the spy is would say that they recommend the spy to do one thing and instead do the opposite themselves. Unless the spy was really ballsy and decided to do the exact thing they said the spy shouldn't. But even then, that's pretty risky. 

I considered that angle, but I don't think this is going to be that much of a problem. The elim team is probably about 3-4 people strong so they could already figure out quite a few things between them even without seeing such suggestions in the thread. Furthermore, anything that is listed in the threat automatically becomes an IKYK rabbit-hole, because the elims will have to consider for all of them whether it's the spy doing them, or someone deciding to mimic that listed potential 'tell'.

Lastly, I think the kinds of tells someone suggest could potentially be telling in and of themselves, so it gives people that otherwise would think they have nothing to contribute something to add to the thread, which allows everyone else to get a read on them.

11 minutes ago, DeTess said:

I considered that angle, but I don't think this is going to be that much of a problem. The elim team is probably about 3-4 people strong so they could already figure out quite a few things between them even without seeing such suggestions in the thread. Furthermore, anything that is listed in the threat automatically becomes an IKYK rabbit-hole, because the elims will have to consider for all of them whether it's the spy doing them, or someone deciding to mimic that listed potential 'tell'.

Lastly, I think the kinds of tells someone suggest could potentially be telling in and of themselves, so it gives people that otherwise would think they have nothing to contribute something to add to the thread, which allows everyone else to get a read on them.

That’s certainly true. Three people are much more likely to be able to figure out who the reform spy is since they have the doc to conspire in. 

In that case, I’d say that the spy should probably not vote on an elim for at least the first couple cycles or so. Tunneling is a common villager tactic, so someone who tunnels could be a villager. But if someone constantly tunnels on elims and is right...that screams spy to me. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

Please do note that as the Heritage and Glory Faction assignments are purely for flavour purposes, there are no Faction docs as a result. Anyone not Discovery who finds themselves in a Faction Doc should report to your nearest GM or IM for processing - I mean, for clarification on what in Braize is going on. :ph34r:

2 hours ago, DeTess said:

In a way, I think the presence of the spy makes the game harder for the village, because it gives the elims access to a way to clutch the win if everything goes against them, and in a 2vs1 or even 3vs1 situation they're very likely to win if the Spy hasn't been too careful.

Sure, but because there are (thankfully) no PMs permitted in this game, whatever the elims know, we know. That way, they’ll have to try and figure out who the spy is through the thread only, which makes it significantly harder. Slim chance they’ll win the game through that route I think. 
As for what I as an elim would keep an eye for in order to pin down a potential spy, 1) Tunneling with confidence and 2) Switching from target to target with little reasoning when the lynch seems unachievable 3) Bringing up the tiniest thing about something someone said and turning that into their basis for a vote (which I guess can be a good way for the spy to go if they can maneuver the argument so that it sounds convincing but not too convincing, yknow?). I guess the optimal situation a spy can find themself in is their vote being the deciding vote between a number of potential lynch targets, each with some amount of votes and stuff - but obviously getting to that point is complicated. :P 

1 hour ago, StrikerEZ said:

In that case, I’d say that the spy should probably not vote on an elim for at least the first couple cycles or so. Tunneling is a common villager tactic, so someone who tunnels could be a villager. But if someone constantly tunnels on elims and is right...that screams spy to me. 

The spy reading the thread and trying to figure out how to approach all this:

Spoiler

xD

29 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

Please do note that as the Heritage and Glory Faction assignments are purely for flavour purposes, there are no Faction docs as a result. Anyone not Discovery who finds themselves in a Faction Doc should report to your nearest GM or IM for processing - I mean, for clarification on what in Braize is going on. :ph34r:

:ph34r:

Edit: idk how this random quote box below got here but it doesn’t wanna leave for some reason lol

Edited by _Stick_

The Grand took her shoulders, which shook slightly from feigned fear. "Look," he said gently. "One man dying means nothing so long as we remain vigilant from here on out. The murderer cannot be too far from here - I suspect they're someone who was invited to this meeting. If we work carefully, we should be able to figure out who they are before anyone else... has an unfortunate accident." 

"Are you sure?" she asked, in a trembling voice. "I don't want to - no one should - I just don't want anyone to die! I don't want to die! At least the Arbiter had a sword on him! I didn't think this meeting was going to be dangerous." She sniffled a bit and leaned into the hands on her shoulders. "I don't even know your name. What if you're the killer?" She said it unconvincingly, as if she couldn't ever believe that such an upstanding (and handsome) citizen would be evil. 

(Keep in mind that you don't know my name yet, by the way. :P And there's no way in hell Ellira is giving her real one out, not in a meeting like this.)

Well, now. Let's get the game underway. @DeTess, I like your idea for discussion, but let me do you one better. :P 

Striker. I'm suspicious of you for this post: 

3 hours ago, StrikerEZ said:

Even without what DeTess pointed out - that there are multiple elims, so they can figure it out on their own - even one person can figure it out on their own. The spy has the tell 'knows too much', and not being caught depends on hiding that in whatever way they see fit while still ideally making it somewhat useful. Tess' question turns it into an IKYK (though it arguably was enough of one already), but that doesn't change that the elims aren't so dumb that they don't know what they would do as the spy? I know that you retracted this train of thought after Tess' next response, but the fact that you called it out at all makes me suspicious. 

Also, the fact that in the next post you said 'three elims' when Tess had only specified 3-4. Does someone already know how many eliminators there are? :P 

I would appreciate any and all thoughts on Striker's, Tess', or my alignment, based on this discussion. And votes! Please vote, people, it's only a 24 hour cycle. (Note that voting on inactives does not count; there is an inactivity filter for exactly that purpose. @'ing them is quite sufficient. Make discussion count.)

Edited by Elbereth

Two more rule clarifications that have been asked:

1. The Reform Spy will not know if there is another Spy. They only know who the Eliminators are. Reform Spies also do not know roles.

2. The Reform Spy also does not know who the Embedded Operative is. See #1 for elaboration.

• Alvron locked this topic
9 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

The Grand took her shoulders, which shook slightly from feigned fear. "Look," he said gently. "One man dying means nothing so long as we remain vigilant from here on out. The murderer cannot be too far from here - I suspect they're someone who was invited to this meeting. If we work carefully, we should be able to figure out who they are before anyone else... has an unfortunate accident." 

"Are you sure?" she asked, in a trembling voice. "I don't want to - no one should - I just don't want anyone to die! I don't want to die! At least the Arbiter had a sword on him! I didn't think this meeting was going to be dangerous." She sniffled a bit and leaned into the hands on her shoulders. "I don't even know your name. What if you're the killer?" She said it unconvincingly, as if she couldn't ever believe that such an upstanding (and handsome) citizen would be evil. 

(Keep in mind that you don't know my name yet, by the way. :P And there's no way in hell Ellira is giving her real one out, not in a meeting like this.)

(Totally didn’t forget that they don’t know each other’s names. :P)

Roashina so wanted to believe that the woman crying into his shoulders was truly afraid of being killed in this meeting. But he knew that you didn’t spend very long being deathly afraid of death and get invited to a meeting like this one. But they all had a part to play in this game, so he went along with her charades. 

“Look, the only way I could’ve killed him is if I’d killed him awhile ago and came back to the meeting room while an accomplice set the bag with his body where it was.” He chuckled, hoping to convey how ridiculous that scenario sounded. He gently pushed her shoulders away from him. “I promise that you will be safe, so long as we can figure out who among us has brought us here to kill us all. Simple.”

~

18 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Even without what DeTess pointed out - that there are multiple elims, so they can figure it out on their own - even one person can figure it out on their own. The spy has the tell 'knows too much', and not being caught depends on hiding that in whatever way they see fit while still ideally making it somewhat useful. Tess' question turns it into an IKYK (though it arguably was enough of one already), but that doesn't change that the elims aren't so dumb that they don't know what they would do as the spy? I know that you retracted this train of thought after Tess' next response, but the fact that you called it out at all makes me suspicious. 

Also, the fact that in the next post you said 'three elims' when Tess had only specified 3-4. Does someone already know how many eliminators there are? :P

Is it too much of a cop-out to say I was in a rush earlier? :P

Seriously though, I just forgot that other people are much better at finding tells in people’s posts when I made my post responding to Tess. Personally, unless someone was being super obvious about being a spy, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell. I mainly ride on the analysis of other players to spark ideas in my brain, so being able to find it before anyone else wouldn’t be likely. And obviously, the elims (probably :P) aren’t stupid and could see the tells themselves. Just thought it might be best to just avoid giving them the chance to analyze for tells all together.

24 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

I said 3 elims because I figured there’d only be three since there’s at least 1 reform spy, 1 handler, and 1 EO. The EO could be an elim, so that would bring the number of elims up to 4. Would be much higher than the 20/25% rule. 

• Alvron unpinned this topic

“Look, the only way I could’ve killed him is if I’d killed him awhile ago and came back to the meeting room while an accomplice set the bag with his body where it was.” He chuckled, hoping to convey how ridiculous that scenario sounded. He gently pushed her shoulders away from him. “I promise that you will be safe, so long as we can figure out who among us has brought us here to kill us all. Simple.”

Ellira sniffed and dabbed at her eyes. "If you say so." She gave him a tremulous smile. "Thank you. I'm sorry for looking such a fool, it's just that, well, I wasn't trained for this. My master only sent me because he didn't want to go himself. I'm a secretary, and here you all are probably spies and murderers and assassins!" Her voice crumbled a little again at that last part, and she grabbed her tea to take a calming sip. 

19 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Is it too much of a cop-out to say I was in a rush earlier? :P

Seriously though, I just forgot that other people are much better at finding tells in people’s posts when I made my post responding to Tess. Personally, unless someone was being super obvious about being a spy, I probably wouldn’t be able to tell. I mainly ride on the analysis of other players to spark ideas in my brain, so being able to find it before anyone else wouldn’t be likely. And obviously, the elims (probably :P) aren’t stupid and could see the tells themselves. Just thought it might be best to just avoid giving them the chance to analyze for tells all together.

I said 3 elims because I figured there’d only be three since there’s at least 1 reform spy, 1 handler, and 1 EO. The EO could be an elim, so that would bring the number of elims up to 4. Would be much higher than the 20/25% rule. 

(emphasis mine) Could you explain further what you mean by the bolded part? 

Also, it's a bit of a cop-out to say you were in a rush, mainly because your thoughts about number of elims are detailed enough that it doesn't sound like you were in a rush at all. :P 

Edited by Elbereth

The Frozen Moon.  Once a favoured place of his but now all it brought were memories of pain and death.  After all, it wasn't far from here that he had almost died.

Asterion tried to swallow the lump that continued to grow in his throat.  Tried and failed.  The memories were too strong.

A simple cup of rose tea.  A grey panda splintering the doorframe as it followed a striped cat. 

He knew what followed but couldn't stop himself from remembering.

The pain in his arm.  A painter who moonlighted as a server in the teahouse.  The bones of his friends and enemies returned to some semblance of life as they stalked towards him.  The taste of his blood as it hit the back of his throat.  The tightness of his cloak as it wrapped around his neck trying to fulfill it's final command.

The memories came fast.  Too fast.  The lump in his throat welled up making it even more difficult to breathe.  He had to leave.  He had to get out of there.  Away, he had to get away!

Asterion stood and bolted out of the teahouse.
______

Fantastic write up Kas.  I love all the attention to details you include.  Asterion isn't happy with you but I loved it all.
______

Fair warning, rollover is at 2am for me so don't expect me to be online anywhere near rollover.

Personally, I think Striker is more likely to be correct.  14 players would suggest 3 elims at most especially given the chance of a convert. But I could see an outside chance of there being 4 since there is a player who knows the names of the elims so a higher than normal starting elim team wouldn't be completely off the cards.

Hello!

I would just to begin by saying I am not the Reform Spy :ph34r: Anyway, as for things for the spy not to do, I feel like most things have been said already. Odd lynch reactions, tunnelling in on a specific person.

I wonder if the spy chose to overtly say their suspicions of one or two of the elims, but also mixed in suspicions of players the spy knows are villagers, could that fool the elim team?

Similarly, if the Handler sometimes disagrees with the spy’s points in thread, even though they know it’s correct, it could help distance the two from each other. A short term (disagreeing with the spy occasionally even though you know they’re correct) sacrifice, for a longer-term benefit (elims can’t make the spy-handler connection between two players always agreeing together).

2 hours ago, Elbereth said:

(emphasis mine) Could you explain further what you mean by the bolded part? 

Also, it's a bit of a cop-out to say you were in a rush, mainly because your thoughts about number of elims are detailed enough that it doesn't sound like you were in a rush at all. :P 

I was trying to say that I disagreed with Tess’s (used to be Rand, right?) idea to get everyone to give their thoughts on what the spy should/shouldn’t do. My original thought process was that it would give the elims an easy way to see how each person claims they would act if they were a spy and work from there. 

And I meant I was in a rush when I wrote the post where I first responded to Tess. I wasn’t in a rush when I wrote my last post, which is why my thoughts on the number of elims were pretty thought out. 

I had to go before I finished my last post, or else I would’ve clarified that, if there were 3 elims and the EO converted to elim, that would already put the elim percentage at 28%. If there were 4 original elims, the EO convert would bring it up to 36%, which seems excessive to me. 

Edited by StrikerEZ

I'll get to some RP later, but I need to actually contribute something first.

7 hours ago, Rathmaskal said:

So it seems we have a mostly vanilla elim team aside from the assassination ability.

What makes you say this? I am, admittedly, not super well-read on the rules, but found no indication that elims wouldn't possess the Arbiter, Disgraced Striker, or Survivor roles.

2 minutes ago, Elandera said:

What makes you say this? I am, admittedly, not super well-read on the rules, but found no indication that elims wouldn't possess the Arbiter, Disgraced Striker, or Survivor roles.

It could definitely be because he’s an elim and therefore knows that the elim team is only roleless. But 1) I think that would be way unbalanced for the elims and 2) I think Rath is experienced enough player to not make a mistake like that. Granted, anyone can make mistakes, even the best of us, so I’ll wait for Rath’s response before I write him off as innocent. 

2 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

It could definitely be because he’s an elim and therefore knows that the elim team is only roleless. But 1) I think that would be way unbalanced for the elims and 2) I think Rath is experienced enough player to not make a mistake like that. Granted, anyone can make mistakes, even the best of us, so I’ll wait for Rath’s response before I write him off as innocent. 

It's a large portion of why I asked and didn't vote quite yet. I don't wholly suspect him of being an elim, but wondered if there was something I hadn't seen in the rules.

Also, @Elbereth, in regards to your discussion with Striker and DeTess, I'm largely on the side of leaving Striker as a neutral candidate at the moment. Much like the reasoning for not voting on Rath, I don't believe Striker would make the mistake of bringing those up so casual and undeveloped ways if he were an elim.

4 minutes ago, Elandera said:

It's a large portion of why I asked and didn't vote quite yet. I don't wholly suspect him of being an elim, but wondered if there was something I hadn't seen in the rules.

I think the only roles that are locked to an alignment are the Spy, the Handler, and the EO. 

Also, thanks for saying you think I’m a neutral candidate. :P

25 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

I was trying to say that I disagreed with Tess’s (used to be Rand, right?) idea to get everyone to give their thoughts on what the spy should/shouldn’t do. My original thought process was that it would give the elims an easy way to see how each person claims they would act if they were a spy and work from there. 

And I meant I was in a rush when I wrote the post where I first responded to Tess. I wasn’t in a rush when I wrote my last post, which is why my thoughts on the number of elims were pretty thought out. 

No RP response? :( 

....did not realize Tess was not a fairly new player I just didn't recognize. Oops. >> 

I'm aware that you weren't in a rush with your second post. My point is that for you to have said there were three elims, you had to have done that logic out during your first post (even if you didn't say it), which implies you were not in that much of a rush. :P 

@Elandera that's fair. Do you have a better candidate in mind? :P And/or would you rather vote on Rath or Striker at this point? (I'm trying not to be too pushy, but I also want lynch discussion to happen. :P

Alright, while I do want to vote on someone for sake of getting discussion, I can’t think of a good candidate. I don’t believe Striker’s posts are alignment indicative, though I do think that the argument Tess rebutted him with could be used the same for a Spy. Even if the spy was a new player, wouldn’t they know enough to know that obviously tunneling on an elim isn’t good if they want to keep their identity secret?

So, it’s possible that Tess wants to gather tips from other players as to what a Spy would do? But, then again, if they were an elim why not use the doc? So, neutral.

Same with Striker, I can see the concern that Tess could be trying to find other ways of identifying a Spy. My first post was written in a rush, so I can understand how that might not lead him to think about issues in saying it wasn’t a good idea.

And Elb voting on Striker seems to be as much of getting lynch discussions up (which I support) as seeing Striker’s post as suspicious, and in this regard I agree with Elandera as I don’t find it particularly alignment-indicative. But I don’t think that makes Elb suspicious.

So I’m voting on Rath, partly to get lynch discussions an partly because I find him the most suspicious (well, I find him a little suspicious, and that’s more suspicious than everyone else :P). I feel his assumption that the elim team have no other roles could be an attempt at making us simply assume the same? Meaning we’d be blindsided by an elim with roles.

Edited by I think I am here.

28 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

No RP response? :(

Yeah, sorry, I was trying to eat while I typed, and I figured I should respond to the analysis first. :P

31 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

I'm aware that you weren't in a rush with your second post. My point is that for you to have said there were three elims, you had to have done that logic out during your first post (even if you didn't say it), which implies you were not in that much of a rush. :P 

Or I just assumed there would be three elims because this is a pretty small game and four elims is too much to me, unless there's at least 16 players? And then I did the math to prove my point when I had time? Like, I didn't go through all that thought process when I wrote my first post, I just generally make the assumption of 3 elims if the amount of players is between 12-15. I definitely hadn't thought about the whole EO part of it until a later post too. 

16 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

I don’t believe Striker’s posts are alignment indicative, though I do think that the argument Tess rebutted him with could be used the same for a Spy.

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify?

17 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

And Elb voting on Striker seems to be as much of getting lynch discussions up (which I support) as seeing Striker’s post as suspicious, and in this regard I agree with Elandera as I don’t find it particularly alignment-indicative. But I don’t think that makes Elb suspicious.

I kinda trust Elb for voting on me, ironically. I'll admit, the way I've been posting has been pretty weird. I think it'd be a fairly village move to call me out for being weird. I'd probably do the same if I noticed someone else doing it.

20 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

So I’m voting on Rath, partly to get lynch discussions an partly because I find him the most suspicious (well, I find him a little suspicious, and that’s more suspicious than everyone else :P). I feel his assumption that the elim team have no other roles could be an attempt at making us simply assume the same? Meaning we’d be blindsided by an elim with roles.

Personally, I don't find that all that suspicious. Like I've mentioned before, I think an elim would be careful enough with their words to notice if they were implying that the elims were all roleless. 

~

Ellira sniffed and dabbed at her eyes. "If you say so." She gave him a tremulous smile. "Thank you. I'm sorry for looking such a fool, it's just that, well, I wasn't trained for this. My master only sent me because he didn't want to go himself. I'm a secretary, and here you all are probably spies and murderers and assassins!" Her voice crumbled a little again at that last part, and she grabbed her tea to take a calming sip.

"Well, I'm sorry that you got dragged into all of this. Here, let's sit down for a bit so you can calm your nerves." He gently pulled her over to a nearby table and sat her down there. If she wants to act like the clueless secretary, Roashina thought, I guess I'll treat her like one for now. He sat down across from her, motioning to a nearby server to bring them drinks. The man hesitated, but a sharp look through Roashina's mask made him comply. Even though there were murders going on, Roashina still expect quality service from the Frozen Moon. "So," he asked her, "what kind of master do you work for that would send a secretary like yourself into what was almost certainly going to be a trap?"

Isn't there anything that'll convince Roashina that Ellira is actually innocent? :P We've got at least two street-children, what makes a secretary so hard to believe?

"One who doesn't want to risk his own neck, apparently," she replied with a sigh, settling into the chair. "I was just supposed to watch and report back. I thought he asked me for my good note-taking skills, honestly. I mean, I knew it was secretive, but I've dealt with that before. I just haven't dealt with, well..." she gestured at the room's chaos in general. "This." 

She bit her lip, looking across at him. "And you? I suppose you're some seasoned warrior or something, aren't you."

31 minutes ago, StrikerEZ said:

Or I just assumed there would be three elims because this is a pretty small game and four elims is too much to me, unless there's at least 16 players? And then I did the math to prove my point when I had time? Like, I didn't go through all that thought process when I wrote my first post, I just generally make the assumption of 3 elims if the amount of players is between 12-15. I definitely hadn't thought about the whole EO part of it until a later post too. 

I kinda trust Elb for voting on me, ironically. I'll admit, the way I've been posting has been pretty weird. I think it'd be a fairly village move to call me out for being weird. I'd probably do the same if I noticed someone else doing it.

Fair. I'm not going to say that clears my suspicion away, but you can't give a better defense and I think my point still stands. 

I kind of want to say this is pocketing, but I'm not sure if that's going too far. :P Your posting hasn't been 'pretty weird'. It's been very slightly more suspicious than other people so far. So I'm voting on you for it. Sorry. :P 

10 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

Fair. I'm not going to say that clears my suspicion away, but you can't give a better defense and I think my point still stands. 

I kind of want to say this is pocketing, but I'm not sure if that's going too far. :P Your posting hasn't been 'pretty weird'. It's been very slightly more suspicious than other people so far. So I'm voting on you for it. Sorry. :P 

Yeah, that's fair. 

I mean, "pretty weird" and "slightly suspicious" are basically the same thing. Tomato tomato, right? :P

Also, why'd you have to ask about Roashina's past? I know basically nothing about his background. :P

Also, we should definitely get more people's thoughts on the lynch. I kinda wanna go to sleep soon, and I won't be able to get on again until after rollover. I don't really wanna die, but I don't find Rath very suspicious, and the only other person I get even a weird feeling from is Tess. I'd very much appreciate if we could either decide to lynch Rath or someone that is not me. :P