346 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, STINK said:

'Sup, I'm in. Haven't played a game of Resistance in a while :P

Hi in, adding you to the list :P Resistance is good fun, has to be said.

Just to note: the M'Hael and I are hoping for 14-15, so we won't have to do anything weird with shifting the Lancelot - ahem, I mean, Embedded Operative cycles. So if you're interested, we could do with a few more names! :) But if that's not workable, we'll manage as well.

After five more read throughs of the rules I still don’t really understand this. But...if you need more players I’ll be joining. Hopefully everything makes sense before the game ends! And I’ll be...Scholdei. Lawrence Scholdei!

32 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

After five more read throughs of the rules I still don’t really understand this. But...if you need more players I’ll be joining. Hopefully everything makes sense before the game ends! And I’ll be...Scholdei. Lawrence Scholdei!

Cheers :P

Let me know what you don't really understand? I'm happy to make sure everyone gets what's going on before the game starts.

Brief tldr; under the spoilers on what makes this game different from a standard QF:

Spoiler
  • Eliminators have two win cons; they only need to fulfill one to win. Either they outnumber the living, or they use a special action called Assassination to take out a specific Village role (Reform Spy) in the game. Only the last surviving Eliminator can use Assassination, so it's basically a last-ditch win effort: if the Village plays a perfect game but slips up at the last Eliminator, e.g. because the Reform Spy wasn't hiding and the Village wasn't concealing them, then the Eliminator team can win anyway

• Conversely, the Village has to fulfill both win cons: they have to eliminate all the Eliminators, and protect the Reform Spy from Assassination, which can be done by generating enough smokescreen in discussion that the Eliminator has a crapshoot, and by saving as many lives as possible (since fewer means an increased probability of hitting the Reform Spy.)

• The Embedded Operative begins the game win con-less. They are allowed to choose a win con at Cycles 3 or 5 respectively. (Without a win con, the Operative can't lose, but also can't win.) Depending on the win con they select, and the cycle in which they select the win con, they choose between becoming a Villager Thug (extra life), or an Eliminator Thug (extra life, can kill on alternate cycles, but no faction doc access) in Cycle 3. In Cycle 5, they choose between becoming a Villager Reform Spy Handler (knows who the Reform Spy is), or a full Eliminator.

Everything else is the same. The EO is the issue: adjusting the cycles upwards is okay, adjusting them downwards can be a bit tricky, though cycles 2-4 shouldn't be too bad either if we really can't do the numbers.

Edited by Kasimir

That...actually makes a lot of sense now. Thanks a lot! But still, here’s to hoping that I’m not the Embedded Operative :P

Hmmm...

I think I'd better spectate this time. I am willing to be a pinch hitter if you are using them, however.

12 hours ago, DrakeMarshmallow said:

Hmmm...

I think I'd better spectate this time. I am willing to be a pinch hitter if you are using them, however.

Cheers - I'll put you in spec for now, but note you're willing to pinch-hit, and we'll make a decision on which list before the game begins.

@Kasimir @Haelbarde Can the Arbiter move a no-vote to a vote? 

Does the Reform Spy know the identity of the EO if they choose to become an eliminator? 

If the Reform Spy is lynched, does it distinguish from a normal Survivor?

If the EO joins the Discovery faction, do they know? Do they get to know the EO’s identity? 

Ellira sipped her tea quietly after Darela walked out, considering. More security was no bad thing, in her eyes; she was as native-born as they came, and were she caught she’d be dead either way. This could just make it easier on her, if she set up foreign ties around her targets. 

She smiled coyly at the man she sat across from. “Such unpleasantness. Pity, to see it in such an esteemed establishment.”

“It is pretty rude,” he agreed, frowning. “I’m sorry you had to see it, honey.”

She grimaced inwardly at the endearment, but worked up as much of a blush as she could muster. “Shall we take ourselves elsewhere? That display has turned my appetite cold. Perhaps somewhere less... public?”

He started to smile. “Yes, let’s go back to my house. No one’s home today except the maid.”

”I’m sure she won’t interrupt us if we lock the door,” Ellira said, watching as he drained his cup of tea. Which, of course, she’d poisoned while all attention had been on Darela and Huzin. He’d fall asleep in a few hours, and die not long after that. She smiled at the thought.

He grinned at that. “Good idea, honey.”

She rose to take his arm, brushing close enough to him to be distracting. As she did, she quickly scanned the room, memorizing who was there. Her master might be interested to know who’d seen Darela’s outburst, later. 

Then they headed toward the door together. He was humming, probably thinking of what was coming when they got home. Ellira, on the other hand, was relishing the thought of slicing open his jugular, ideally in the middle of a soft kiss. 

He wasn’t anyone important, of course, or not so important as to be missed or suspected. That wasn’t her master’s style. He was merely one of the only merchants who traded in western spices. Ellira wasn’t even sure why his death was important, exactly - if her master controlled the rest of the spice trade, she didn’t know about it. She didn’t really care. 

All that mattered was that he was marked for death, and she would deliver it with a sweet smile and no regrets. 

6 hours ago, Elbereth said:

@Kasimir @Haelbarde Can the Arbiter move a no-vote to a vote? 

Does the Reform Spy know the identity of the EO if they choose to become an eliminator? 

If the Reform Spy is lynched, does it distinguish from a normal Survivor?

If the EO joins the Discovery faction, do they know? Do they get to know the EO’s identity? 

1. No. 

2. No. 

3. No. All survivals are reflected the same way in the GM summary/statement. Otherwise, the write-up will take so many liberties that de Sade will seem a prude. (Don't worry, we're PG-9. Mostly. :ph34r:

4. I assume you are referring to an early EO defection as the late defection to Disco is fairly straightforward. Disco will know by default if the EO has joined them since they would be unable to make the kill every other cycle. They will also know who each other are—they just can't communicate. 

5. The EO has to make a choice by the fifth cycle, as reflected in the rules and mechanics. The corollary is that an EO who refuses to choose (we can't force them to send in an action :P ) will not have a win condition and so will not be able to win or lose the game >>

Edited by Kasimir

I was hoping the LG would be finished, but I suppose I can sign up as Faitren.

Is the Reform Spy immune to the inactivity filter? I doubt the Reform Spy would go down that route, but they could.

5 hours ago, Devotary of Spontaneity said:

I was hoping the LG would be finished, but I suppose I can sign up as Faitren.

Is the Reform Spy immune to the inactivity filter? I doubt the Reform Spy would go down that route, but they could.

They are not, good catch. I felt the RS should be allowed to seppuku if they want to, as a strategic choice, but realised this morning that this could be developed into an exploit that makes this game unplayable. 

Currently talking with Hael and Fifth to work on a patch; will get back. 

Edited to add: Assassination will remain a one-time use ability but may now be used in any cycle instead of the kill. The consent of all active Eliminators will be required, with activity being defined as having posted in the doc that cycle.

Edited by Kasimir

Cycle One:

Deep Shadows

“As it transpired, the fifth year of Emperor Gamman’s reign was shaken by threats from without and within. For all he spoke about reform and changing the nature of Rose Empire policy, Gamman inherited the previous Emperor’s mistakes, and relations with Svorden continued to be strained throughout the early years of Gamman’s rule. Gamman, too, had a keen instinct for power, and he had inherited a devastated polity in the aftermath of the Succession Riots, which saw the Moderation Faction almost entirely eradicated. Even so, ShuWen of Ukurgi argues convincingly that policies passed in the first years of Gamman’s rule were more about the consolidation of his power and the concomitant control of internal dissent…” —Shuos KanSeun, When the Rose Blooms: The Lives of the Emperors

ㄢㄋㄌ

The door creaked, letting out an annoyingly loud protest as it swung open. The first person to enter the Frozen Moon stepped warily over the threshold, wondering if it was a trap. The letter that had been folded up and stuffed hastily into a coat pocket—really, he should have burned it when he first received it—felt like it was painting a target on his back. In any case, he had plenty of reason to be wary. It was a bad time to be someone with a distinctly foreign-sounding name in the Imperial Seat. It was an even worse time to be attending a meeting along the lines of what the letter had suggested. Lawrence Scholdei was fully prepared to flee if the Frozen Moon had turned up to be stuffed to the rafters with Strikers. 

It was a bad time to be in the Imperial Seat, really. Made a man jumpy. Made him see shadows everytime he turned his head.

But there was Darela, wasn’t there? No one had heard from her for days, and then...

Those were the times they were living in, and beggars made poor choosers, so Lawrence Scholdei breathed and set aside his worries and sauntered over to the counter where the lone MaiPon server was cleaning clay cups and stacking them one after another.

The MaiPon server glanced over at him, a scowl darkening his face. “So early?”

“No one else is here?”

The server shook his head. “Booked the whole teahouse,” he muttered, disapprovingly. “Didn’t like the look of him, but he paid.”

“Who was he, do you know?”

The server stared flatly at him and refused to say anything more. In all fairness, Lawrence had not quite expected a response. After all, if you were soliciting those who might be interested in a matter of conspiracy against the Emperor of the Eighty Suns, you wanted a respectable teahouse that was known for a reasonable amount of discretion.

Lawrence sat at a table and looked around. Normally, the teahouse would have been packed with patrons, but the mysterious letter-writer had paid for the use of the Frozen Moon, and so the teahouse was currently empty. He briefly entertained the idea that it might be a trap, and then dismissed it. If it was a trap, it had netted only a single fool. 

The MaiPon server came over with a cup of hot tea and a platter of steamed buns, and then left, taking up a broom with him, likely to sweep the fallen leaves from the courtyard outside.

ㄢㄋㄌ

The letter was nailed to the wall with a single crossbow bolt. Asterion crossed the room, glancing about him warily. It had been difficult, immediately after the Succession Riots, to be a known member of the Discovery Faction.

Not any longer, however. Things had changed since then.

It had helped that they had thought him dead, and afterwards, being a blasphemous scholar of the Discovery Faction meant nothing so long as he was useful.

He breathed and the colourless cloak he wore shifted, slightly. A small price to pay for the precaution, even though it had not at all been easy to obtain. But there was no ambush, and as he reached out with his senses, he realised that the interloper had simply broken into the secret garret in the Gardens of the Sun, and left, having delivered the letter.

He drew back. 

He could make out little from the letter itself, except for the startling words. The promsie of power. Or perhaps, of vengeance. Asterion was not certain he cared for vengeance. The handwriting displayed the neat, economical strokes of the current favoured calligraphic style of the Rose Empire, except—there. A slight defect: a slight flourish, as though the writer had favoured a more elaborate calligraphic style, but had mostly succeeded in suppressing their original handwriting. The crossbow bolt itself; now that was a more interesting message. He ran his fingers along the fletching. The Strikers did not use swan feathers. Not any longer. And yet, the arrow was fletched with a swan feather. 

He tugged the crossbow bolt free. It had been embedded by force, rather than fired from a crossbow. He would have had to cut it free if it had come from a crossbow. 

The letter he folded neatly and slipped into a pocket of his cloak. 

The writer, at least, had Asterion’s attention. He would go to the Frozen Moon, for the first time in five years. He would return and watch.

And perhaps he would find out what he wished to know.

ㄢㄋㄌ

Everyone asked Kavela if her name was really Kavela.

You’d think people would know people could more or less share the same name, Kavela thought, as she perched somewhat high up in the peach tree and watched. She watched as person after person furtively crept towards the Frozen Moon and entered; she watched as the MaiPon server went out into the courtyard to sweep the fallen leaves.

He didn’t look up. People rarely did.

She peeled her purloined orange thoughtfully. She had been given the letter and told to come here and report on who she saw, and what she heard. She would have to enter the teahouse, of course. Eventually. She could spy on who came and who went, but she was expected to report as well on what was discussed, and this could not be done from a peach tree outside the teahouse.

The letter would win her admission. She’d slipped it from the pocket of Arbiter Raishin himself—a fortuitous bump-and-grab. Her heart was still racing at the thought. Stalking Arbiters was dangerous; pickpocketing one, even in the crowded marketplaces of the Imperial Seat, was a fast way to get her door kicked in by Strikers. 

The letter, though. Her fingers tingled. She had more than one buyer lined up for the information from this meeting. And already, she had seen so much that was useful. Members of the various Factions: Glory, and Heritage, and Moderation—somehow struggling at the precipice of extinction—and even Gamman’s own Reform Faction. She recognised a striker by his gait and the way he balanced himself, even though he carried no sword to the meeting, and tensed up, but then realised he wore a mask and his manner was furtive. Even an Arbiter came. It was Uskevan, Kavela thought. His build was distinctive, though it was bold of him to come without a mask. But Uskevan was of Glory; no doubt he thought a mask beneath him.

That was interesting.

Whoever had written the letter had been clever. She hadn’t realised what was happening at first, until she realised that the paper carried with it just the faintest whiff of crushed soybeans. A little steady heat and the words bloomed on the paper, materialising in dark brown writing.

She munched thoughtfully on her orange, licked the juice from her fingers, and made her way down the tree, slipping from the last branch down to the courtyard tiles.

Oof. Hard landing.

The MaiPon man just raised an eyebrow at her and continued to sweep. Kavela moved past him, and towards the meeting at the Frozen Moon. Most of the others should have arrived by now.

ㄢㄋㄌ

Ellira nursed her tea and watched as the tea and the steamed buns eventually loosened up this evening’s visitors to the Frozen Moon. Some of them wore simple masks, meant to conceal most of their features except their mouths. Not their throats, of course. She noticed a tall Grand—she supposed he was attractive enough, in a fine-featured way, if you were in the market for meat—smiling at her, and smiled back, ducking her head a little with feigned shyness.

It always helped when they underestimated you; by now, it came as breathing to Ellira. And there was a little frisson of a thrill running sharp in her veins at the beginning of this dance, and then when she killed; by preference, close enough to feel the moment the life left them.

This evening, however, the Grand was not her target—not yet, at any rate. Perhaps her master would change her mind later on. Her instructions had arrived for her in a coded message tied to the leg of a pigeon at the coops. Infiltrate the meeting, mark those who were there, and report back. The promise of death to come.

No one was yet admitting that they’d convened the meeting. That was fine with Ellira; she concealed a yawn behind her hand. She hadn’t expected anyone to admit to it, in any case. Those who spoke now spoke guardedly; in implications and worried glances, rather than to directly solicit conspiracy. 

“... they found her in her office, dangling from the ceiling,” said one of the others. Ellira decided she was either more careless, or simply more trusting. “Of course the resealers claim she took her own life, but it’s rather hard to do that with a stab wound in your own back.”

“To say nothing of the...unusual circumstances under which Darela disappeared,” said the other. It was the tall Grand, Ellira realised. He folded his hands together. “You do realise that, don’t you?” he was speaking louder now, addressing the rest of the room. “If any of you were so much as followed, we’re going to disappear and then be found again in our own homes.”

“Bold of you to assume we’re not even being infiltrated right now,” someone began.

Which was about the point something dark appeared at one of the windows, and then there was a large, sodden thump.

Far too sodden.

There was a hemp sack leaking onto the floorboards of the Frozen Moon, and it was dark, and Ellira was very certain that wasn’t paint. The sack was human-shaped. The Grand pressed a hand to his mouth, eyes wide.

One of the others went to the sack and produced a knife and began to saw at the rope. He wore a mask, but the colouring and the dark curly hair marked him as a Striker. The rope frayed and parted.

Ellira recognised the body. It was Arbiter Urskevan, formerly of the Glory Faction, and shot through with an excessive amount of crossbow bolts, all fletched with feathers that were a striking arterial red. He had vanished for a while, ostensibly to locate more steamed buns.

Clearly, he’d bitten off more than he could chew.

Someone screamed. And screamed. And screamed.

That was the point at which the clandestine meeting disintegrated into turmoil.

ㄢㄋㄌ

Cycle One has begun and will end at 9PM on the 17th October, GMT+8! Please stay tuned for further announcements, the player list, and role PMs :P Do note that we have made one major amendment to the use of the Assassination ability. This will be linked in the rule clarifications for ease of reference.

Edited by Kasimir

Player List

Spoiler

1. I think I am here. - We think they're going to be someone :P
2. DeTess - DeCharacter
3. xinoehp512 - Ecnelis
4. StrikerEZ - character pending, don't think they're an ez target
5. Elandera - Marzia, best armorer in the Rose Empire and getting better
6. Burnt Spaghetti - Somi, street kid, duck and cover
7. Young Bard - Emperor of the Eighty Suns Kavela, serendipitous social climber
8. _Stick_ - Stick, who may or may not be a stick. 
9. Rathmaskal - Yesterday "Yes" Jones, certainly not a yes man, yessir
10. Alvron - Asterion, they shot him, so he votes in the shade
11. Elbereth - Ellira, fatal femme and assassin
12. STINK - in, potentially with 1337 [email protected]
13. Butt Ad Venture - Lawrence Scholdei, confused passerby
14. Devotary of Spontaneity - Faitren

Rule Clarifications

Spoiler
  • Does the Embedded Operative get anything for siding with the Conspirators?

Yes - an Embedded Operative who sides with the Conspirators in Cycle 3 chose the Thug lyfe even if the thuglyfe didn't choose them, and so they gain an extra life, while an Embedded Operative who sides with the Conspirators in Cycle 5 learns the Reform Spy's identity, and essentially becomes a second Reform Spy Handler.

• Can an Arbiter change a no-vote to a vote?

No - a player must have placed a vote to be affected by an Arbiter. (Note, however, that votes may be Soothed by an Arbiter into a no-vote.)

• Does the Reform Spy know the identity of the Embedded Operative if they choose to become an Eliminator? 

No.

• If the Reform Spy is lynched, does it distinguish from a normal Survivor?

No - all cases of survival are treated the same way in the GM summary/statement of Cycle events. (i.e. "Haelbarde was lynched but survived!" or "Haelbarde was attacked but survived!") Otherwise, the write-up will take so many liberties that de Sade will seem a prude. (Don't worry, we're PG-9. Mostly. :ph34r:

• If the Embedded Operative joins the Discovery Faction, do they know? Do they get to know the Embedded Operative’s identity? 

I assume this refers to an early EO defection as the late defection to Disco is fairly straightforward. Disco will know by default if the EO has joined them since they would be unable to make the kill every other cycle. They will also know who each other are—they just can't communicate. 

• What happens if the Embedded Operative just doesn’t choose anything?

We would be very sad :( Also, the EO has to choose by the fifth cycle, as reflected in the rules and mechanics, but of course, we can't and shouldn't make the EO submit an action if they don't want to. That being said, as it stands, the EO lacks a win condition until they choose, so the corollary is that they can't win the game or lose the game.

• Is the Reform Spy immune to the inactivity filter?

No.

• Pinch-hitters are available upon application to the GMs and IMs.

• Assassination will remain a one-time use unblockable kill but may now be used in any cycle instead of the kill. The consent of all active Eliminators will be required, with activity being defined as having posted in the doc that cycle.

• Please be aware that the Heritage and Glory in your Faction PMs are entirely for flavour; we wouldn't do something as nefarious as put a hidden third and fourth faction into this game, that's just messed up :ph34r:
  • Please do note that as the Heritage and Glory Faction assignments are purely for flavour purposes, there are no Faction docs as a result. Anyone not Discovery who finds themselves in a Faction Doc should report to your nearest GM or IM for processing - I mean, for clarification on what in Braize is going on. :ph34r:

• The Reform Spy will not know if there is another Spy. They only know who the Eliminators are. Reform Spies also do not know roles. Consequently, the Reform Spy also does not know who the Embedded Operative is.

• The lynch and the kill share priority. So the results of one cannot interfere with the results of the other.

• There is no minimum lynch threshold. One vote suffices.

• The Reform Spy cannot have another role. The only roles that double up are Conspirator and Discovery Agent (and that's because those are more faction allegiances than anything else.)

• There is only one Reform Spy.

Edited by Kasimir

Ellira sighed internally, but did her best to look frightened and pale. She couldn’t quite bring herself to add to the screams, though, so went for shocked silence instead. You’d think these people had never seen a dead body before. 

She grasped her teacup too tightly and stared at the corpse as if she couldn’t tear her eyes away from the horror of it. 

She used that, of course, to examine Urskevan more closely. The red fletching was especially interesting; someone was making quite the statement - probably something like “death to traitors”. She was honestly surprised no one had run out the door yet, but panic made people act strangely. 

She finally tore her eyes away with a visible effort, directing her gaze towards the Grand who’d been smiling at her earlier. “I’ve never seen anything so awful in my life!” she lied. “How could this happen? What if it happens to all of us? I don’t want to die!” Her voice rose in pitch and panic as she spoke. She looked scared and vulnerable - just like she needed a big, strong man to reassure her. 

Let’s get this going! As I said in signups, I intend to focus on RP (given Kas’ fantastic write ups make it so much fun!), so expect some analysis (and some snark :P) but not loads. 

On that note, anyone who hasn’t picked a character yet want to play the Grand I’m talking to? I’d love a RP partner!

EDIT. OY. Go upvote Kas if you haven’t. 

Edited by Elbereth

H'okay. All role PMs have been sent out; we apologise for the delay, apparently formatting things takes more time than we'd remembered :P 

We have accumulated two rule clarifications in the meanwhile:

#1. May I please draw your attention to the Order of Actions: Assassination takes priority over everything else. It is, in essence, a one-time use unblockable kill., and it cannot be used together with the regular Disco kill.

#2. Please be aware that the Heritage and Glory in your Faction PMs are entirely for flavour; we wouldn't do something as nefarious as put a hidden third and fourth faction into this game, that's just messed up :ph34r:

Now, to go make myself a cuppa...

All thanks to @Haelbarde for being the master of organisation and conditional formatting. I can't wait for it to be his turn next cycle :P 

Hello hello

Random fact but I just realised the last QF I played was more than A YEAR AGO! xD 

Anyway I think that if we play carefully this shouldnt be too hard: the Reform Spy + the Handler are huge assets. But it's gonna be tricky ofc. I wouldnt be surprised if an elim tries to drop hints at them being the spy so to get some votes on their side

In which case we lynch everyone who seems too knowledgeable just like we usually do anyway? :P The Reform Spy can’t die to the lynch, so it’s not like it’s a big loss except maybe losing a cycle. I suppose it’d point them out to the elims, but at the same time just not lynching people who seem to be doing too well at catching people is also not a good strategy. (I could totally see an elim bussing multiple teammates, and am glad Aman isn’t playing. :P

4 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

In which case we lynch everyone who seems too knowledgeable just like we usually do anyway? :P The Reform Spy can’t die to the lynch, so it’s not like it’s a big loss except maybe losing a cycle. I suppose it’d point them out to the elims, but at the same time just not lynching people who seem to be doing too well at catching people is also not a good strategy. (I could totally see an elim bussing multiple teammates, and am glad Aman isn’t playing. :P

At least if the reform spy does get hit by the lynch, they have the survivor role to potentially use as a cover as that also survives the lynch.

Should be an interesting game with all these added mechanics. Just knowing that someone could at some point swap teams is going to screw with trusts im sure. I have to wonder if we'll accidentally confuse the reform peeps with elims working together or vice versa. I predict paranoia aplenty! Though thats every se game haha.

It was always a good idea to show up early to a meeting. It was wise to be early, especially when the meeting could be about a conspiracy. People could die. It could be a trap. One never knows. Being early...you had a jump on everyone else. People who showed up late...one had to be sharp to survive. Darela wasn't smart. Too forgiving. Too open. She was gone.

Lawrence shifted his mask up uncover his mouth to take a sip of tea. Smiling, he watched life pass outside the teahouse. People strolled the streets unaware that soon, their world would be falling apart. And the masked man in the innocent teahouse would be a part of it.

As more people entered, the tension grew. He watched himself stand up and greet his fellow Conspirators. He watched himself stand up to grab a steamed bun. All the while he thought, taking in the information. And through the window there came a bag. Crossbow bolts. Lawrence began screaming, a shocked look for everyone to see. A corpse, he thought, how delightful. Lawrence smiled inwardly, it was time for a show.

So! I'm here and alive! For now... Nothing to talk about yet. Reform spy + Spy Handler be wise. And Disco Agents? You should totally use your assassination ability today. I'm sure you'll get lucky and win.

Edit: Kas? Where did Kavela get an orange from a peach tree?

2 hours ago, Kasimir said:

You’d think people would know people could more or less share the same name, Kavela thought, as she perched somewhat high up in the peach tree and watched....She peeled her purloined orange thoughtfully.

Edited by Butt Ad Venture
Maybe I should read the writeup a little more carefully? :P

...Venture, you might want to read the writeup a little more carefully? :P 

30 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Edit: Kas? Where did Kavela get an orange from a peach tree?

Kavela pickpocketed one during Bard's sign-up RP. I assume it's the same orange, or Kavela just went back for another one :P 

Yes had been hoping to go on an adventure.  Her brother Tom always seemed to be seeing exciting new places while she was always the one documenting boring old meetings and such.  Even her brother Tod seemed to be able to experience more just living in the moment.  But here she was, taking notes while a bunch of dusty old men talked about something that should be retired to the history books.

When she returned home, Yes was ready to call it a night.  No need for dinner...not like you really expended much energy when you were just taking notes.  As she was just about to dim the room, she noticed something sticking out of her dresser drawer:

The Frozen Moon.  She'd never been there.  Wasn't really her type of place.  But...an anonymous note...a secret meetup...this might be the adventure she'd been waiting for.

~~

Yes had mostly stayed off to the side at the meeting.  She was used to that role, always observing, taking notes.  When the body was discovered, she was shocked, but her instincts took over quickly and she began looking around the room to see other reactions.  She'd be able to look at the body more closely later...the reactions wouldn't be there once everyone got a chance to compose themselves.

~~

So it seems we have a mostly vanilla elim team aside from the assassination ability.

I do find it interesting that the Striker has the ability to protect someone from the lynch.

Venture, in case you're curious about El's comment...the assassination ability is only available to the last surviving Agent.

So, random musing...  Is it going to be better if we lynch the spy?  Like, is it game-breaking if the spy comes out and provides us the names of all the Agents, we lynch the agents but make sure to lynch the spy while there are still two agents left?  I guess it's not quite that simple since the elim team could pretend to be spy/handler...but that could have been fun.  OK, carry on.  OK, I'm trying to think where this could still be a viable strategy...

You know...it still might.  If someone comes out with that information, we just lynch them both times necessary.  If they're elim, OK, fine...if they're spy, we have it.  Am I missing something in the rules that would prevent this strategy?

Edit: Nope, doesn't work.  Sorry.  Spy immune to lynch means they'll be available to assassinate at the end.  My bad.

Edited by Rathmaskal
Found the rule that breaks my strategy.

2 hours ago, Kasimir said:

Ellira nursed her tea and watched as the tea and the steamed buns eventually loosened up this evening’s visitors to the Frozen Moon. Some of them wore simple masks, meant to conceal most of their features except their mouths. Not their throats, of course. She noticed a tall Grand—she supposed he was attractive enough, in a fine-featured way, if you were in the market for meat—smiling at her, and smiled back, ducking her head a little with feigned shyness.

It always helped when they underestimated you; by now, it came as breathing to Ellira. And there was a little frisson of a thrill running sharp in her veins at the beginning of this dance, and then when she killed; by preference, close enough to feel the moment the life left them.

This evening, however, the Grand was not her target—not yet, at any rate. Perhaps her master would change her mind later on. Her instructions had arrived for her in a coded message tied to the leg of a pigeon at the coops. Infiltrate the meeting, mark those who were there, and report back. The promise of death to come.

No one was yet admitting that they’d convened the meeting. That was fine with Ellira; she concealed a yawn behind her hand. She hadn’t expected anyone to admit to it, in any case. Those who spoke now spoke guardedly; in implications and worried glances, rather than to directly solicit conspiracy. 

“... they found her in her office, dangling from the ceiling,” said one of the others. Ellira decided she was either more careless, or simply more trusting. “Of course the resealers claim she took her own life, but it’s rather hard to do that with a stab wound in your own back.”

“To say nothing of the...unusual circumstances under which Darela disappeared,” said the other. It was the tall Grand, Ellira realised. He folded his hands together. “You do realise that, don’t you?” he was speaking louder now, addressing the rest of the room. “If any of you were so much as followed, we’re going to disappear and then be found again in our own homes.”

“Bold of you to assume we’re not even being infiltrated right now,” someone began.

Which was about the point something dark appeared at one of the windows, and then there was a large, sodden thump.

Far too sodden.

There was a hemp sack leaking onto the floorboards of the Frozen Moon, and it was dark, and Ellira was very certain that wasn’t paint. The sack was human-shaped. The Grand pressed a hand to his mouth, eyes wide.

One of the others went to the sack and produced a knife and began to saw at the rope. He wore a mask, but the colouring and the dark curly hair marked him as a Striker. The rope frayed and parted.

Ellira recognised the body. It was Arbiter Urskevan, formerly of the Glory Faction, and shot through with an excessive amount of crossbow bolts, all fletched with feathers that were a striking arterial red. He had vanished for a while, ostensibly to locate more steamed buns.

Clearly, he’d bitten off more than he could chew.

Someone screamed. And screamed. And screamed.

That was the point at which the clandestine meeting disintegrated into turmoil.

Ecnelis quietly sipped his drink as the room devolved into chaos.

Why did I think this was a good idea? he wondered. He coughed once, then took another sip of his drink. I could be doing so much more worthwhile things with my time. He'd just purchased a new book from the market this morning. It was waiting for him in his bedroom, promising at least two hours of entertainment when he returned.

If he returned.

-------------------

Greetings, fellow players! 

2 minutes ago, Rathmaskal said:

So it seems we have a mostly vanilla elim team aside from the assassination ability.

I do find it interesting that the Striker has the ability to protect someone from the lynch.

Venture, in case you're curious about El's comment...the assassination ability is only available to the last surviving Agent.

So, random musing...  Is it going to be better if we lynch the spy?  Like, is it game-breaking if the spy comes out and provides us the names of all the Agents, we lynch the agents but make sure to lynch the spy while there are still two agents left?  I guess it's not quite that simple since the elim team could pretend to be spy/handler...but that could have been fun.  OK, carry on.  OK, I'm trying to think where this could still be a viable strategy...

You know...it still might.  If someone comes out with that information, we just lynch them both times necessary.  If they're elim, OK, fine...if they're spy, we have it.  Am I missing something in the rules that would prevent this strategy?

The elims can now make their assassination attempt on any turn. They will still fail their wincon, however, if it's just a normal attack.

Edited by xinoehp512

7 minutes ago, Rathmaskal said:

That actually wasn’t my comment. :P Venture originally had his RP as his character coming in late, since he missed that Lawrence was in the writeup. 

Yup. :P The Reform Soy can’t be lynched. It’s not an extra life, it just completely doesn’t work. (In addition to the Assassination change that Xino pointed out.)

Edited by Elbereth

Somi's hands flew to her mouth as she stifled a shriek.  What?!? Crossbows are ranged... are we safe in here? Can I be seen from any windows? Am I going to die? What do I do! She glanced at the person who'd asked her to accompany them. They seemed equally shocked. They'd simply given her a duplicate of the letter, some coin, and asked her to attend as a second set of eyes. They had jokingly said that she was to pay attention to things so that they didn't have to, but it was more so that she would more easily go unnoticed and could potentially overhear useful things.  So she was expecting some shadiness but not murder. She frantically looked around the room. Some people were panicked and were calm, but calmness could mean anything really, they could be used to death, they may just be an expert at suppressing, or they may have been expecting this... but people are good actors! She was just a kid who lives on the streets. This was way out of her league. So she found a chair by a wall, and ducked behind it for some level of protection and just watched chaos unfold around her.

---

Also ive left whoever brought Somi along ambiguous so anyone is most welcome to jump on that if they want

Edited by Burnt Spaghetti
I can spell. Shush

So, here I was, seeing the message that I got my role PM in my inbox. I needed to do some cooking first, so I couldn't immediately post, but t gave me some time to think over my first post. And since games had beena bit slow fo aklte I'd decided to do some stuff to try and get peopel talking abit.

And then I arrive here to see that people are already talking plenty -_-

Anyway, I'll deploy my absolutely fantastic and infallible 'get people talking' tactic later, for now I have a couple of responses, because people are apparently a lot more talkative this time around XD

1 hour ago, Elbereth said:

Ehm, I disagree quite a bit here? Anyone that seems to know too much will already be on the elim hit-list, and helping the elims confirm whether it's the spy by attempting alynch seems very counter-productive. I get not wanting to allow an elim to slip by by bussing, but I'll be very suspicious of anyone trying to tip a lynch on someone with the only reason being they 'seem to know too much'.

2 hours ago, _Stick_ said:

Hello hello

Random fact but I just realised the last QF I played was more than A YEAR AGO! xD 

Anyway I think that if we play carefully this shouldnt be too hard: the Reform Spy + the Handler are huge assets. But it's gonna be tricky ofc. I wouldnt be surprised if an elim tries to drop hints at them being the spy so to get some votes on their side

In a way, I think the presence of the spy makes the game harder for the village, because it gives the elims access to a way to clutch the win if everything goes against them, and in a 2vs1 or even 3vs1 situation they're very likely to win if the Spy hasn't been too careful.

Anyway, if you're checking in on this thread and find yourself thinking 'I've got nothing to talk about', how about trying to answer this question: If you where an elim, what would you be looking for to try and ID the spy? If plenty of people answer this question, it should give the spy an idea of what not to do (which could be very useful if the spy is a new player), and it should also give everyone else an idea about what they could do to try and muddy the waters for the elims.

As for my own answer to that question, if I was an elim I'd be looking for the following behaviours:

• tunneling on elims for no clear reason: The spy will know who all the elims are, and therefore it might be tempting to try and go after them using reasoning as a shield. Yet, some elims might not be too prone to slipping up, and trying to find 'gotcha's' in anything they say anyway could get you in trouble.
  • Odd reactions to mislynches: I have in the past seen mislynches that just generally seemed really odd or out of place. For someone with perfect knowledge of the guilty those could be very frustrating because it might seem like the village is actively self-sabotaging, but if you show that frustration, it might allow the elims to figure you out.
  • Being sheeped: This is more one for the handler. The handler knows who the spy is, but that doesn't mean they should follow the spy's vote every single time. Such a pattern could become very clear though, especially in the late game.