"The Stormlight Archive" Title Theory

The Heretic

Most everyone has caught on that the individual books of the Stormlight Archive are all named after in-universe literature. The Way of Kings, Words of Radiance, etc. My theory is that the series itself is named after in-universe literature.

In Oathbringer, 

Spoiler

Shallan and Renarin discover an ancient archive within the library of Urithiru. The archive is composed of gemstones which give encoded messages when infused with stormlight, preserved by previous generations of Knights Radiant. 

My theory is that this library was known in-universe as "The Stormlight Archive", giving us the name of the series.

I have always liked this idea a lot. But Brandon has previously said that it isn't the case, sadly:

Questioner 1

The drawers with the infused gemstones. Is that the Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

No. That is not the Stormlight Archive.

Questioner 2

Is there a Stormlight Archive?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. But... it means the books. The archive of books that are all named after in-world books. The Archive is a pun on archived collection of books.

Oathbringer Portland signing (Nov. 16, 2017)

• 2 weeks later...

I always thought of it as Honor's Visions because they are memories and ideas he wanted archived and passed on. Plus they come with the Stormlight (with the highstorms). 

Clearly there will be several in-world things that could fit by the time the series is done. We already have two, the visions and the hidden gems. 

• Chaos locked this topic