Muggles of New Elantris

Oltux72

Elantrians and their power are interesting. But it seems to me that Elantris cannot stay a city of Elantrians exclusively. There will be

1. visitors, ambassadors and traders
  2. domestic servants (I have not seen an Aon for tidy up this room or clean this toilet)
  3. companions, not necessarily of the paid kind, although they will exist. Now that Elantris is fixed I doubt every married new Elantrian will seek a divorce.
  4. children. Elantrians can reproduce and their children will in general not be Elantrians

How do these people live? They will have food and clothing provided to them. That much is clear. But how do they spend their days and how will they find a place in live? While we have seen a street sweeper becoming an Elantrian, I doubt he would keep working as such. Even a stupid person could copy Aons and activate them. It would be a waste to use Elantrians for mundane tasks. Yet, if you are an Elantrian and have been for centuries, would you really like to see your children go into domestic service? So what are the alternatives?

• They can leave Elantris and take up a normal job
  • They can serve Elantris outside Arelon. The new king strikes me as somebody who would go exploring and sending out embassaries
  • Elantris may create Janissaries. If you can create enchanted weapons, armor and other gear with Aons, Elantris will not be in a position to forgo the possibility. More so if they want a navy and marines.
  • They may become artisans or artists or traders within Elantris.

It is unclear to me how such a community will develop over many centuries. But in the short and medium term I see conflict.

• Parents will bury children and grand children. Repeatedly.
  • Children will age and parents stay young (classical vampire tropes will be appropriate)
  • Children will never be equal to their parent or parents
  • Marriages will fray
  • city born muggles will dislike newcomer Elantrians, but will be unable to do anything about it
  • Elantrians may set up harems - the family is not the basic building block of society in Elantris. The immigrant is.

I personally think the best option would be to have the Elantrain's none magic children get an education and take a job somewhere else.  As to spouses well... Unless they find a youth aon that works you are in serious trouble.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

I personally think the best option would be to have the Elantrain's none magic children get an education and take a job somewhere else. 

Best for whom? At the risk of sounding like a broken parrot, people have conflicting interests. There are surely those who do not want to send away their children and those who would rather enjoy free food, housing and running hot water rather than a purpose in life.

8 hours ago, Karger said:

As to spouses well... Unless they find a youth aon that works you are in serious trouble.

Yes, if we are talking about the first spouse. Given human, specifically male, nature, it would surprise me if there weren't a migration of young, nubile women to Elantris.