Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oltux72

Lists of Aons on Seons

10 posts in this topic

Each Seon carries an Aon. Unless the Elantrians are incredibly stupid, they have made a catalog of Aons to be found on Seons. So what determines which Aons are to be found on Seons? Do they have a specific meaning? Are they a subset of all Aons or is it possible to make a list of all Aons this way?

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

So what determines which Aons are to be found on Seons

No idea

Do they have a specific meaning

Sure each aon has its own unique meaning. 

Are they a subset of all Aons

To the best of my knowledge they are normal aons.

11 hours ago, Karger said:

Sure each aon has its own unique meaning. 

But not necessarily an effect by itself. Sure something like 'south' has a meaning. It does the obvious if you combine with, for example, Tia. But on its own?

11 hours ago, Karger said:

To the best of my knowledge they are normal aons.

But all of them?  That is, is the set of Aons knowable by collecting all possible Seons, or are they a subset? If the latter, what does that mean? Is the set of Aons closed at all?

10 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But on its own

It acts like a compass.

10 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

But all of them?  That is, is the set of Aons knowable by collecting all possible Seons, or are they a subset? If the latter, what does that mean? Is the set of Aons closed at all?

We only know 7 seons.  They are as follows

Ashe Aon Ashe Light or illumination

Len Aon Len Wisdom used for healing

Aeo Aon Aeo Bravery no idea what it is used for

Hrathen's seon Unnamed aon unknown

Opa Aon Opa Meaning is Flower unknown use

Dio Aon Dio Meaning is steadfast or immovable use unknown

Mai Aon Mai Meaning is Honor use unknown

Keep in mind that an aon's cultural meaning and use are not always exactly aligned.

If you can spot a(real and verifiable) pattern then congratulations you are smarter then me.  We do know that Elantrains spent considerable time looking for new Aons and that many of them had Seons.  Also considering the shear number of possible aons(it may be limitless for all we know) I don't know if anyone can tell you one way or the other.

On 07/10/2019 at 9:44 PM, Karger said:

We only know 7 seons.  They are as follows

That is still not a lot. But we know at least that the variation among their aons is large enough to make using them as names practical.

Keep in mind that an aon's cultural meaning and use are not always exactly aligned.

Yet you do necessarily learn that the aon exists, don't you? Hence, if the Seons predate AonDor, there is a basic stock of Aons known to exist.

If you can spot a(real and verifiable) pattern then congratulations you are smarter then me.

Indeed you can make some statistical conclusions even from that. You can conclude that the number o aons on Seons is not trivial.

We do know that Elantrains spent considerable time looking for new Aons and that many of them had Seons.

Right. So unless they were incredibly stupid, aons on Seons are known to them.

Also considering the shear number of possible aons(it may be limitless for all we know) I don't know if anyone can tell you one way or the other.

Right, but what did the Elantrians think about the topic? Did they divide aons into Seonic and advanced aons?

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Yet you do necessarily learn that the aon exists, don't you? Hence, if the Seons predate AonDor, there is a basic stock of Aons known to exist.

Seons come from the AonDor.  I see no way they could predate it.

Indeed you can make some statistical conclusions even from that. You can conclude that the number o aons on Seons is not trivial.

You really can't.  With a sample size of only 7?

Right. So unless they were incredibly stupid, aons on Seons are known to them.

Probably although not all of them may have had an an obvious use that would ID them.

Right, but what did the Elantrians think about the topic? Did they divide aons into Seonic and advanced aons?

We know essentially nothing about the first Elantrians.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

Seons come from the AonDor.  I see no way they could predate it.

Seons can either be splinters or creations of AonDor. How do you reconcile these hypotheses? If they arose from splintering Devotion they as a species must be as old as the Dor, even if individual Seons have a limited life span.

5 hours ago, Karger said:

You really can't.  With a sample size of only 7?

Generalized birthday problem.

Seons can either be splinters or creations of AonDor. How do you reconcile these hypotheses? If they arose from splintering Devotion they as a species must be as old as the Dor, even if individual Seons have a limited life span.

5 Share Copy

Kogiopsis (paraphrased)

How long before the events of Elantris did Odium kill Aona/Devotion and Skai/Dominion?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Same time as the origins of the seons.

#3 Share Copy

Viper (paraphrased)

At one point someone [on 17th Shard] asked you if seons were Shards of--

Aona.

Viper (paraphrased)

Devotion ... yeah Aona, and you said that was close. My question is: are the Aons at the HEART of the seons Shards of Devotion?

No, but close.

Viper (paraphrased)

But... I was sure... the floating Aon at the heart, that's not a Shard...

*taking pity* You're close but a word is wrong. You're using the wrong terminology.

Viper (paraphrased)

SPLINTER. Are the Aons at the heart of seons SPLINTERS of Aona?

Yes.

Generalized birthday problem.

You need 70 people for that.

Edited by Karger

21 hours ago, Karger said:

Kogiopsis (paraphrased)

How long before the events of Elantris did Odium kill Aona/Devotion and Skai/Dominion?

Same time as the origins of the seons.

Devious. If I asked Brandon how old hidden pirate gold is, would he tell me how long ago it was found, it was hidden or stolen in the first place.
In other words can we assume that Seons were available from that time on, or did Elantrians discover them at a later date, long after their creation?

21 hours ago, Karger said:

You need 70 people for that.

Not really. The math works for the generalized problem of picking out of pool and getting doubles. For a given likelihood and sample size you can also compute a pool size.

For a pool of size 365 probabilty of hitting a doubble is 99.9%. But we can reverse the question. For a probabilty of, let's say, 95% of picking a double with 8 (7 + 1) picks, how large is the pool?

2 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Not really. The math works for the generalized problem of picking out of pool and getting doubles. For a given likelihood and sample size you can also compute a pool size.

For a pool of size 365 probabilty of hitting a doubble is 99.9%. But we can reverse the question. For a probabilty of, let's say, 95% of picking a double with 8 (7 + 1) picks, how large is the pool?

But we are not getting any information on the people themselves.  Those people are also drawn at random.  We also can't really tell you much about them.

Edited by Karger