is harmony's influense weaker than ruin's?

Stefano

In the band of the mourning suit says that he limited his feruchemy to 3 spikes, to avoid harmony's influence.

In mistborn a lot of people, even vin, feel ruin influence having only one spike.

Do I miss something? (I haven't read secret history yet)

That's just Harmony taking direct control, the way Ruin would do with the Inquisitors. Harmony can talk and interact with people with only a single spike (see Wax's conversations with him through the earring), but there's a threshold where Harmony can bodyjack people. For kandra, that's two spikes. For humans, it's any more than three spikes. Adding too many spikes without enough willpower could leave you open to influence from anyone with enough Soothing ability, like it did the koloss, too. Even if that last bit probably isn't going to happen any time soon in E2.

Edited by Invocation

If I'm not mistaken, harmony can't control  a being unless they have at least four spikes. Well, specifically humans. I suspect harmony could still influence them in the same way spook was influenced by Ruin, but harmony's not really about that deception life. Also,  this thread may be of interest to you.

Maybe he can't fully control a man with less than 4 spikes, but ruin could talk and sense anyone using at least 1 spike, he could change any text not written in metal, and i guess preservation had some power over men as well.

In 2nd era it looks like Harmony can't do anything about Suit and the set 

17 minutes ago, Stefano said:

In 2nd era it looks like Harmony can't do anything about Suit and the set

Harmony has made his stance on free will pretty clear. He could have controlled Marsh outright and kept him from giving Marasi Spook's book, but he didn't. 

He's willing to create circumstances that influence people's choices, but he still wants it to be their choice. 

The set are aware of the 3 spike limit, and for all we know he does play with their thoughts and tug at their consciences. But they have to be aware that he can which largely negates that because at a certain point of cynicism that would actually drive you to ignore your conscience. 

Whether he is actively doing that or not, he can. We have directly seen his thoughts on free will though, and he will never take it to the lengths that Ruin did because of his own beliefs. 

• Chaos locked this topic