Jasnah was set up!

Arcalim

Not sure if this has been mentioned before but I am rereading wok and I realized that jasnah was made to expose her powers so MR.T could see her radiant powers in person. Which means he was willing to sacrifice his grand daughter for this purpose. Part of the reason he made the deal with odium was to save them in the first place. Also could be a early sign of Malatas powers and her timeline for joining the diagram. Been awhile since I read the other two so feel Greek to deconstruct the hell out of this. 

Sorta yes sorta no. He could have probably gotten through the rock on his own, but getting Jasnah to Soulcast the stone was both faster and let him observe her.

Brandon Sanderson

Rescuing Taravangian's granddaughter

So, Taravangian set this entire thing up. He wanted to see Jasnah's Soulcaster in action. He had the resources to get through that rock, if he'd wanted to—but he wanted to see Jasnah work, and he wanted to have an opportunity to interact with her. His eyes have been on her for a while.

The Way of Kings Annotations (Nov. 3, 2017)

Darkness (paraphrased)

Ok. Um… did Taravangian arrange for his granddaughter to be trapped, so he could see Jasnah soulcasting?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Um he used an opportunity, that he could've gotten to through… in a multitude of ways, in order to… check on some things. But it is his granddaughter and she really was in danger.

Darkness (paraphrased)

Yep, he really did seem concerned.

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes.

Supanova 2017 - Sydney (June 16, 2017)

But he probably did use the opportunity to check if Jasnah was really using the soul caster or was using surges

and also I feel that when he came to shallan for the portrait I feel that was also a test to check how she is making them. He must have heard that she does not require people to pose and makes them very quick and very exactly 

may be he had his doubts about her too!!

• Chaos locked this topic