AonEne

Alright, thanks.

38 minutes ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

I agree. More settlements means I can burn a few down without destroying the rp.:)

By the way, for your character, how does the rusting actually work on humans, or on noble metals. Does actually change it to rust (iron oxide), or would it mimic the chemical process of rusting, in that it forces the molecules to react with oxygen. Because in the second case if you'd use the ability on non-metals you'd basically just be setting them on fire.

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

So regarding starting this.

I figured we might want to have a small settlement in the place where Alleycity is in our time, or at least close by, so that we have some kind of landscape to interact with. I figured, that maybe these settlements are strewn all over the place, but that one, is of course special due to it location. What do you think?

I think this is a good idea.

So, I think all of those people you @‘d as needing to make characters, have now?

15 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

I think this is a good idea.

So, I think all of those people you @‘d as needing to make characters, have now?

I plan to make the thread my tomorrow, to give Darth time to respon to kenod's question and to finalize his character, then we are good to start.

Edited by Sorana

7 hours ago, kenod said:

By the way, for your character, how does the rusting actually work on humans, or on noble metals. Does actually change it to rust (iron oxide), or would it mimic the chemical process of rusting, in that it forces the molecules to react with oxygen. Because in the second case if you'd use the ability on non-metals you'd basically just be setting them on fire.

Well, when used on metal, which is the only thing she can use with with her normal powers, it’s just me mimicking the chemical process of rust. With her PI, it is actually transmuting the skin, or whatever else, into rust.

Edited by Ookla the Wine Shelf

2 hours ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

Well, when used on metal, which is the only thing she can use with with her normal powers, it’s just me mimicking the chemical process of rust. With her PI, it is actually transmuting the skin, or whatever else, into rust.

Ah, thanks. So her power can also force oxidation with metala that nornally can't undergo it, like gold?

Yes. She can rust all metals. Even if technically those metals can’t rust. And from her prime invincibility she could rust anything. Do note however, that only kicks in if she is being hit, but not if she hits someone. As in, if she punches someone in the face, she won’t destroy their face.

Here’s mine, sorry I’m so late! For some reason all my Alleyverse characters are girls and then almost all my NPCs are boys, what is this. 

Spoiler

Name: Sandpiper Dexti - goes by Piper 

Appearance: Long sandy-blond hair, short height, sixteen years old, light gray eyes, wiry, dark brown Terris skin 

Investiture: Twinborn - Spinner/chromium Ferring (50), Smoker/copper Misting (35); enhanced jumping (Centrifugal) (10); spike granting Forgery (60? Unsure how spikes are scored) 

Skills: Smart Intelligence (15); sometimes Expert Projectile Weapon Combat Training [see Equipment] 

Equipment: Essence Mark that grants her a decade of training with all types of projectiles [see Skills]; carries a few throwing knives and an M16 5.56 mm carbine rifle from Earth, and a bag with basic carving equipment, a little money, copper vials, and the Mark; has a number of chromiumminds, most full. 

Weaknesses: Almost always storing Fortune, so she has awful luck; jumping does not include resistance to landings; has a Hemalurgic spike; emotionally neglected. 

Family: Mother alive in the Village, father dead (though Piper is unaware of this) 

Home Planet: Scadrial (E2) 

Backstory: Born in the Village to her Pathian mother and Survivorist father, Piper was raised close to conflict. Her parents split up when she was young, and she went back and forth between living with them, both belittling her - one hating her Allomantic ability and the other hating her for being a girl as his only child - leading her to slowly become convinced of her worthlessness. During a test of her father’s, she got lost in the alleys of Elendel and found herself in a settlement in the Alleyverse. 

Guild/affiliation: Guildless, pro-Alleycity 

Personality: As a teenager who didn’t believe in either religion her parents did and was often neglected, she developed a hatred of herself and anyone she thinks is like her, who she tries to hurt or kill (she doesn’t hurt herself, however, instead constantly storing to let the world itself hurt her). She is abrasive with a dark sense of humor, and doesn’t like getting to know other people. 

Theme Song: Bleeding Out by Imagine Dragons 

Fighting Style: Sometimes able to exploit the bad luck around her when fighting others in close combat; attacks from afar when she can. 

I will add everyone to the OP. And I like the idea of there being a settlement there. (We should give it an ironic name :ph34r:

Edited by AonEne

14 minutes ago, AonEne said:

We should give it an ironic name

What about "Sanctuary"? Looking at the map, Alleycity is on almost an island, connected to the rest of the land by only two small bridges of earth. If the planet is rather chaotic and violent, the area around the Worldspike, in addition to the fact that it is somewhat isolated, could make the area a decent "sanctuary" location for people who want to live in a more secluded place. The Worldspike would be watched over by Voidus afterall, so might be less chaotic in general, more "policed" (even if just barely). 

Just a thought! :]

1 hour ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

Yes. She can rust all metals. Even if technically those metals can’t rust. And from her prime invincibility she could rust anything. Do note however, that only kicks in if she is being hit, but not if she hits someone. As in, if she punches someone in the face, she won’t destroy their face.

Ah, alright, thanks. I do have to admit that now I want to figure out what would actually happen if you'd force gold to oxidize, but that isn't that important. Also, her ability to make rust grow on metal she affects, is said rust iron oxide or made from the metal the original object was made from?

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Ah, alright, thanks. I do have to admit that now I want to figure out what would actually happen if you'd force gold to oxidize, but that isn't that important. Also, her ability to make rust grow on metal she affects, is said rust iron oxide or made from the metal the original object was made from?

Unless the oxide would, say, explode or something, it would be made of the original metal. As in, epic logic.

Just now, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

As in, epic logic.

Ugh, I always dislike Epic logic. For example, Firefight-type fire epics should be easily killed with a heavy sniper and bullets of specific alloys. In a similar fashion, Rustborn's PI is basically just disintegration of inorganic matter with a nice visual effect, while against organic stuff it's just a barrier that burns whatever hits it, while transforming the surface in rust. Of course, if it actually did work like rusting should it would be a horrible ability that provided no defense whatsoever, so your version is quite a bit better in that regard. It's just that Epic logic makes trying to analyze potential uses and weaknesses of powers a pain.

Just now, kenod said:

Ugh, I always dislike Epic logic. For example, Firefight-type fire epics should be easily killed with a heavy sniper and bullets of specific alloys. In a similar fashion, Rustborn's PI is basically just disintegration of inorganic matter with a nice visual effect, while against organic stuff it's just a barrier that burns whatever hits it, while transforming the surface in rust. Of course, if it actually did work like rusting should it would be a horrible ability that provided no defense whatsoever, so your version is quite a bit better in that regard. It's just that Epic logic makes trying to analyze potential uses and weaknesses of powers a pain.

I know, and agree most of the time. In this case it’s just easier to say that she can rust metal, all metal, and to ignore logic that says differently.

Just now, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

I know, and agree most of the time. In this case it’s just easier to say that she can rust metal, all metal, and to ignore logic that says differently.

Yeah, probably. Trying to work out how each metal behaves when it rusts it just going to be a massive pain.

1 minute ago, kenod said:

Yeah, probably. Trying to work out how each metal behaves when it rusts it just going to be a massive pain.

Very much so.

Also, @Voidus, I would like to add in the weakness, “Mortifying fear of being burned,” because she is fire based, but not actually immune to fire.

@AonEne here's your rating

Spoiler

Investiture: Twinborn - Spinner/chromium Ferring (50), Smoker/copper Misting (35); enhanced jumping (Centrifugal) (10); spike granting Forgery (55)

Skills: Smart Intelligence (15); sometimes Expert Projectile Weapon Combat Training [see Equipment] (80)

Equipment: Essence Mark that grants her a decade of training with all types of projectiles [see Skills]; carries a few throwing knives and an M16 5.56 mm carbine rifle from Earth, and a bag with basic carving equipment, a little money, copper vials, and the Mark; has a number of chromiumminds, most full. 

Weaknesses: Almost always storing Fortune, so she has awful luck; jumping does not include resistance to landings; (-10) has a Hemalurgic spike; emotionally neglected. 

Character approved.

By the way, this is a conversation Zinc and me had yesterday about how the alleys might work in sanctuary. I figured it might be good to post here so other people can pitch in on the discussion.

20 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Hello! In regards to the prequel thread, are the Alleys going to be roughly the same internally, just with fewer entry points from the outside? There's no Alleycity yet but there's a settlement... would DA denizens be able to sort of appear between shanties or something? Or would there be fewer but more obvious entry and exit points into and out of the Alleys? What do you think @kenod?

12 hours ago, ElephantEarwax said:

that is amazing. i liek that idea.

12 hours ago, kenod said:

Probably the later. Or we might just have the alleys intrude much more into the world, making it easier for everyone to enter at least a specific part of the alleys.

11 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Oooh, I like that idea a lot. What would that look like, do you think? Tears in the world? Just, alleyways appearing in the middle of nowhere?

11 hours ago, kenod said:

Probably more the alleys between the buildings leading into the Alleys directly, and in a much more stable manner than the current Alleys. That would also imply why the settlement is there. It would function as a nexus, since it has a place in the world with alleys, connecting the Alleys proper with them, which allows for a local stabilization. It could also explain why we have a settlement but still have opposition to expanding it into a city.

Here we go...

Spoiler

Name: Antonio Ecnelis

Appearance: Dark red hair, blue eyes, pale skin.

Investiture: Silence. Can create invisible objects by shaping them in the air, can move without making noise.

Skills:(I don’t remember what’s on the list… :P He’s a little above average in a few things, including fighting).

Equipment: None

Weaknesses: Making noise nullifies his powers temporarily.

Family: Father, mother, one older brother, one younger brother, one sister

Backstory: Most of Antonio’s family are members of the Silent Guard. For years, he’s trained to join them, but now… now he’s not so sure. He’s come to Sanctuary to see if he can figure things out.

Guild/affiliation: Silent Guard

Personality: Somewhat antisocial. Doesn’t really expect that he’ll make friends, and acts accordingly. He loves to read, especially fiction.

And another, sort of.

Spoiler

Name: The Observer

Appearance: [REDACTED]

Investiture: Invisible, inaudible, intangible and in general undetectable.

Skills: Very observant. Knows a language that allows him to transcribe large amounts of information quickly.

Equipment: A pen and clipboard that he can summon and dismiss (like a shardblade).

Weaknesses/Limitations: Cannot interact with the world; only observe.

Family: [REDACTED]

Backstory:[REDACTED]

Guild/affiliation:[REDACTED]

Personality:[REDACTED]

Edited by xinoehp512

11 minutes ago, xinoehp512 said:

Here we go...

Hide contents

Name: Antonio Ecnelis

Appearance: Dark red hair, blue eyes, pale skin.

Investiture: Silence. Can create invisible objects by shaping them in the air, can move without making noise.

Skills:(I don’t remember what’s on the list… :P He’s a little above average in a few things, including fighting).

Equipment: None

Weaknesses: Making noise nullifies his powers temporarily.

Family: Father, mother, one older brother, one younger brother, one sister

Backstory: Most of Antonio’s family are members of the Silent Guard. For years, he’s trained to join them, but now… now he’s not so sure. He’s come to Sanctuary to see if he can figure things out.

Guild/affiliation: Silent Guard

Personality: Somewhat antisocial. Doesn’t really expect that he’ll make friends, and acts accordingly. He loves to read, especially fiction.

I assume he’s an Epic? 

Edit: I assume they’re both Epics? And I don’t want to be that person, but afaik the mods prefer complete character sheets. ;)

Edited by AonEne