AonEne

@ZincAboutIt

Here's your changed rating based on the new character sheet. As your characters will work as a team, I calculated them both as one character. As their power set is identical and they can benefit from each other only partially, I decided to add one character fully, and the other one only half, since with hyper-intelligence they will both arrive at the same conclusion at one point or the other, but they can add their powers together when it comes e.g. to rioting.

Spoiler

Names: Doctors Kaspar and Balthazar (Kaz and Baz) Renard

Physical Characteristics: Identical twins. Age 32. Tall ~6’1”. Slender, lean and scholarly build. Brown hair, green eyes, lightish olive skin. Long and clever fingers, angular features, very white teeth. Too white. Look a bit too sharp - they are too sharp.

Investiture: Hereditary Zinc Compounders. (100) The twins each have one spike granting them F-Copper as well. (30)

Skills: Naturally intelligent. (30) With F-Zinc, this of course varies, though rarely lowers as they can compound. In-depth medical knowledge (40), Hemalurgic expertise. (Scholarship - skilled 30) Very adept at using Zinc Allomancy as well. (10)

Equipment: Various Zinc rings, bracers, earrings; metal vials full of Zinc flakes. Kaz carries a bonesaw called Enlightenment. Baz wields a scalpel called Brevity. Neither has any magical properties but they are very sharp, and shiny, and the two know how to use them.

Weakness: Kaspar is blind in one eye. (-15) Balthazar is missing his pinky and ring fingers on his right hand. (-5) Both brothers suffer from paranoid delusions. They will occasionally hallucinate their third brother stalking them. (-10)

Kaspar: 140 (M) + 100 (S) - 20 (W) -3 (Spike) = 217

Balthazar: 140 (M) + 100 (S) -15 (W) -3 (Spike) = 222

Total: 222 + 217/2 = 330,5

--> A little over the point cap. As you mentioned in your previous post that you'd be willing to leave the spikes away, that would be an easy way to make them fit. Otherweise you can always add another weakness.

============

@Voidus Sorry, to hand off another pair of characters, but even though they are no epics, I think rating their powers is easier with your system, as I would have to make up something completely new.

7 hours ago, kenod said:

Here are the characters I'll be using (can we use multiple characters?):

Nimari:

Spoiler

Name: Nimari

Appearance: Alethi, 5'7" tall, with long black hair and dark purple eyes. Has a large, intricate tattoo resembling a Cryptic's pattern covering most of her torso, centered around a number of small spikes. Wears a long-sleeved shirt, jeans and combat boots. Part of the shirt's back is missing to show off her spikes. Wears a leather finger-less glove on her left hand.

Investure: Originally a Lightweaver, A hemalurgic experiment has altered her abilities. Her spren has been fully fused with her, increasing her abilities, but making it impossible to manifest a Shardblade or Plate. At the same time her surges have been altered as well, having been combined into a single ability that allows her to create temporary physical objects. The objects she creates are rather fragile though, normally only surviving for a few attacks. Putting more effort into the visualizations helps too, which is why the weapons tend to look more unique.

There are certain limits in the complexity of what she can create as well. Objects relying on electrical systems, chemical systems, Investure or complex mechanical systems would fail for example, though there are exceptions in that she is capable of creating firearms, though they are normally single-shot only, and their projectiles aren't actual bullets, but instead look more like solid masses of Investure. She's also capable of giving basic programming to objects she creates, though limited to things like hovering in the air and then launching or firing at a specific target location, possibly with some preprogrammed movement included. This (and projectile weapons as well) add a fair bit to the stormlight cost though, since the Stormlight is necessary to provide the energy of the movement. Stormlight cost of normal manifestations is only a bit higher than that of an illusion though, and any dismissed objects can have their stormlight reabsorbed, though broken objects will only allow for a part of the stormlight to be absorbed.

Placing an illusion on an object is possible as well, but costs much more stormlight, and takes a lot more effort, but is much less fragile. This temporarily changes the object into the illusion until the stormlight runs out. Destruction of the changed object will result in the illusion vanishing and the original object being destroyed as well. It isn't possible to use this on living beings, except when the target willingly accepts it. Also, the more the illusion diverges from the original object the more stormlight it costs. For example, a temporary appearance change like skin-color or height would be cheap, but shapeshifting into an animal would require too much stormlight to be practical.

Skills: Melee, skilled (50), projectiles, skilled (60)

Weaknesses: She's rash, and doesn't back away from fights even if it's clear it's a bad idea. Is generally incapable of lying, and even when trying it's obvious to everyone that she's lying. The process of having her Spren fused with her has left her rather unhinged.

Personality: Rather unhinged, she doesn't have any issue with hurting other people, and her own philosophy is that the strong have the right to rule the weak, and because of this does her best to prove that she is one of the strong. While normally calm and easy going, her personality can suddenly flip into rage as well, and she tends to feel a need to hurt other people. She's well aware of these issues with her personality, and has embraced them, figuring that someone with her strength doesn't need to care about the consequences. lying to her tends to set her off, though seeing someone pull off a successful lie on someone else can amuse her as well.

Family: Her parents are still alive on Roshar, and she has two older brothers. She has mostly forgotten about them though, and doesn't really care about them.

Backstory: Originally from Roshar during one of the later Desolations she was picked to become a lightweaver, but soon displayed some troubling personality aspects, mainly in her love of fighting, and eventually she got into trouble for experimenting with using Soulcasting, using it in unnecessarily cruel ways on Voidbringers. Annoyed she left, and accidentally she ended up in the alleys, but instead of joining up she was captured and used for an experiment, which modified her powers and partially broke her mind. Once she finally regained a semblance of sanity she decided to stay, liking the new lethality of her powers and the knowledge the DA had, as well as their methods. When she learned about the plan to build the alleycity she joined up with the pro-city group, but unknown to many joined up with the faction planning on taking control of the place after it was build, becoming its rulers.

Guild: DA, pro-city faction, ruler splinter group.

Theme song: Beth Crowley, Monster

Aylitha:

Spoiler

Name: Aylitha/Karin Dreier/Eldritch

Age: Doesn't apply, though her human form looks around 14.

Species: Eldritch abomination

Appearance: A young girl with bone-white skin and long, pitch-black hair, and purple eyes that are much too vivid. Wears a goth-loli outfit. Lacks internal organs.

Abilities:

• Enhanced physiology:
    Her body is made up out of non-human cells, which grant her various abilities:
    • No need for air, water or food, except for when talking.
    • No need for sleep.
    • Improved physical abilities. Her strength is somewhat more than that you'd expect of someone her size, but not by too much, being similar to that of a grown man. Her speed and reflexes have been enhanced a lot as well, being closer to that of a stormlight user, or someone burning tin and pewter.
    • Time perception control. She's capable of slowing or speeding up her perception of time, though slowing it is difficult, and is generally something that happens on reflex, not something she can control.
    • Rapid regeneration.
    • Shapeshifting. Large scale shifts are difficult though, and she's normally limited to growing tentacles or vines and using them to attack. She is capable of growing eyes and other things on them though, or using them to secrete acid.
  • Her cells act as gateways to a pocket dimension she controls, which she can use to get more mass for regenerating or shapeshifting, and she can send matter she consumes to it as well, or using it to quickly reabsorb cells of her body.
  • She is effectively two people, Aylitha and Karin, though normally only one of them is in control. Switching requires the mind that currently has control to yield it, and attempting to forcibly take control would simply paralyze her. Both minds have their own skill sets, and can't use each other's skills.

Note: In this case Aylitha doesn't have the level of skill she has in the present-day alleyverse, and isn't capable of splitting off other entities, modifying someone's body or hijacking people. There's also a limit to the amount of matter she can control at once, which is limited to an area of around a city-block, and Karin can control even less.

Skills:

• Aylitha: Intelligence, intelligent. Scholarship (molecular biology), average. Hand to hand combat, average.
  • Karin: Hand to hand combat, Expert. Intelligence, smart, Scholarship (molecular biology), average.

Weakness: Has two minds, and if either of the two disagrees with the actions of the one currently in control they can easily paralyze their body, though Karin doesn't interfere that often. Switching also creates a moment of paralysis, especially switching to Karin, since she tends to not pay that much attention to what's happening. Karin is also somewhat pacifistic, and refuses to kill people while she's in control. Her body is also rather flammable, much more so than that of normal humans, and while her regeneration is fast enough that it can keep her alive it is enough to immobilize her and pin her down.

Personality: Has two personalities, Aylitha and Karin, with Aylitha being in control the majority of the time.

• Aylitha:
    Tends to be rather curious, and sometimes doesn't really understand things about human society. Can sometimes come across as rather inhuman. Cares greatly for Karin, and hopes there's a way to get her to become more active again. Doesn't have a proper sense of danger. During fights she often relies on brute force and using large numbers and masses of tentacles to overwhelm opponents.
  • Karin:
    She has seen too many people die around her, and has become rather withdrawn. Voluntarily gave control to Aylitha, and hopes that it'll allow her to fade away. Tends to go dormant more and more. Refuses to kill anyone, and dislikes becoming close to other people. Hates anything to do with heroics, insisting that she simply helps a single person, without regards for the consequences. When actually becoming serious she becomes highly analytical. Dislikes using the active parts of her powers, and prefers fighting using just martial arts and her enhanced reflexes and speed. In contrast to Aylitha she prefers using smaller, precision attacks aimed at the weak points of her opponents.

History: Originally a normal girl who got possessed by Aylitha when an empowerment event hit her earth, she originally used her new powers to become a hero, but after a certain event caused a team-mate to die she left the team, instead wandering around, helping people she came across. Certain events happened that caused a large number of her friends to die though over time, and as old age started to set in on them as well she ended up becoming tired of living, and handed control to Aylitha in the hope that it would allow her some form of rest, though at this point she's still somewhat active. Aylitha afterwards started wandering as well, eventually finding the alleys and joining up with the DA around the same time as Mac, becoming friends with him. When the concept of the alleycity started floating around she ended up being neutral in the conflict, and instead started looking at the people involved, curious about what would happen.

Affiliation: DA, neutral faction, observer.

Theme song: Yuki Kajiura, Sis Puella Magica

These might be a bit difficult to grade, sorry for that.

To answer your question kenod: As usual you can use multiple characters, as long as they don't team up. If they team up, we will have to rate them together, usually both of their points will count fully together.

=====================

And here's my own character.

Spoiler

Name: Raphael Merei

Appearance: tall and handsome man, with pale skin and blonde hair, he has green peircing eyes and short, but nimble fingers // he takes great care of his appearance, his cloths are always perfectly ironed and spotless, his whole appearance is a piece of art and he spends lots of time polishing himself

Investiture: A-chromium (35), (will be: Zinc compounder (100))

Skills: Intelligent (30), Expert Medical knowledge (40), Skilled Apothecary (25)

Equiptment: Bag full of medical tools, several potions he needs while operating a person, several sets of clothing, lots of cremes/ oil to take of his skin and hair

Weakness: needs to be clean, always desinfects his hands and changes into a new set of cloths as soon as he has discovered a spot (exemption are his work cloths, those are full off blood and he doesn't mind); he tidies up endlessly and has a defined spot for every tool of his, if a tool is resting somewhere he gets restless and has to tidy up before he can go on working

Personality: vain, dreams of building the perfect chimera and would do nearly everything to achieve that goal, dislikes travelling and dirt

History: Raphael was born in the northern part of the world that some refered to as Alleyverse. He never really cared for the various guilds, nor did he plan to get involved, but in the end his own interests lead him to search out those with greater knowledge than himself.

Affiliation: n/a (will be: DA)

Edited by Sorana

40 minutes ago, Sorana said:

A little over the point cap. As you mentioned in your previous post that you'd be willing to leave the spikes away, that would be an easy way to make them fit. Otherweise you can always add another weakness.

I really don't want to take the spikes away, so I'll be thinking up another weakness for them. I'm having a little trouble in this department though. Should I post in the AV Character Discussion thread for that?

Edit: I originally considered giving the twins bipolar disorder, which I thought would fit well with the cycle of tapping and storing Zinc. Mania followed by a period of depression - their abilities and this problem could feed rather nastily off one another. But I do recall there being some reticence over giving characters this disorder in the past. I also considered going the Sherlock Holmes route and have the twins experiment with various drugs, effectively to get their body to "keep up" with their minds. As medical experts, they would be well aware of the effects of cocaine, or various amphetamines, and as arrogant little prats, they would probably overestimate their ability to fight addiction, slowly succumbing instead over time. I'd like feedback on either of these options as I think they would both be in-character and allow for good development and conflict. But I don't want to break any rules or ruffle any feathers.

Edited by ZincAboutIt
more words

42 minutes ago, Sorana said:

To answer your question kenod: As usual you can use multiple characters, as long as they don't team up. If they team up, we will have to rate them together, usually both of their points will count fully together.

They won't be teaming up. They're more likely to just kill each other, given their personalities.

35 minutes ago, ZincAboutIt said:

Edit: I originally considered giving the twins bipolar disorder, which I thought would fit well with the cycle of tapping and storing Zinc. Mania followed by a period of depression - their abilities and this problem could feed rather nastily off one another. But I do recall there being some reticence over giving characters this disorder in the past. I also considered going the Sherlock Holmes route and have the twins experiment with various drugs, effectively to get their body to "keep up" with their minds. As medical experts, they would be well aware of the effects of cocaine, or various amphetamines, and as arrogant little prats, they would probably overestimate their ability to fight addiction, slowly succumbing instead over time. I'd like feedback on either of these options as I think they would both be in-character and allow for good development and conflict. But I don't want to break any rules or ruffle any feathers.

If I remember correctly the reticence was mostly there, because the disorder felt forced and added to the character sheet, not because of the disorder itself.

Regarding the drugs: I agree with Voidus, as long as it's about the human part of the addiction, and the consequences it has on them, you don't glorify the topic and keep the descriptions of them taking the drugs a little vague it should be fine. It is a serious topic, but killing is also a serious topic and it's nothing rare in this rp. I wouldn't be opposed to a drug addiction if it set within these borders.

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Regarding the drugs: I agree with Voidus, as long as it's about the human part of the addiction, and the consequences it has on them, you don't glorify the topic and keep the descriptions of them taking the drugs a little vague it should be fine. It is a serious topic, but killing is also a serious topic and it's nothing rare in this rp. I wouldn't be opposed to a drug addiction if it set within these borders.

Thanks. I think I would like to add this to the sheet. I'd like to explore the brothers' abusing this in a kind of slow burn way, but they will start the RP with a dependency already, and this will only increase over time. I think that the drug use and dependency will also likely further fracture their minds, and increase their paranoia over the possibility of their dead brother haunting them. I expect both brothers to be pitching and yawing from one extreme to another by the end of the plot line: really high highs and really low lows. Paranoia, dependency, pride, obsession, denying they have a problem, then trying to find a "better" solution, etc, etc, all this combined with an increased desire to "solve" the problem of their missing third brother. Basically they will be an incredibly brilliant mess.

@ZincAboutIt

Changed your rating based on the drug addiction. Characters approved.

Spoiler

Names: Doctors Kaspar and Balthazar (Kaz and Baz) Renard

Physical Characteristics: Identical twins. Age 32. Tall ~6’1”. Slender, lean and scholarly build. Brown hair, green eyes, lightish olive skin. Long and clever fingers, angular features, very white teeth. Too white. Look a bit too sharp - they are too sharp.

Investiture: Hereditary Zinc Compounders. (100) The twins each have one spike granting them F-Copper as well. (30)

Skills: Naturally intelligent. (30) With F-Zinc, this of course varies, though rarely lowers as they can compound. In-depth medical knowledge (40), Hemalurgic expertise. (Scholarship - skilled 30) Very adept at using Zinc Allomancy as well. (10)

Equipment: Various Zinc rings, bracers, earrings; metal vials full of Zinc flakes. Kaz carries a bonesaw called Enlightenment. Baz wields a scalpel called Brevity. Neither has any magical properties but they are very sharp, and shiny, and the two know how to use them.

Weakness: Kaspar is blind in one eye. (-15) Balthazar is missing his pinky and ring fingers on his right hand. (-5) Both brothers suffer from paranoid delusions. They will occasionally hallucinate their third brother stalking them. (-15) Drug addiction (experimentation, leads to more paranoia, moods changing from extreme to extreme over the time) (each 15)

Edited by Sorana

@kenod Here you are. I'd hoped a little for Voidus to rate them with his Epic System, as I felt that it would be fairer in the end, but I gave my best ^_^

Spoiler

Investure: Originally a Lightweaver, A hemalurgic experiment has altered her abilities. Her spren has been fully fused with her, increasing her abilities, but making it impossible to manifest a Shardblade or Plate. At the same time her surges have been altered as well, having been combined into a single ability that allows her to create temporary physical objects. The objects she creates are rather fragile though, normally only surviving for a few attacks. Putting more effort into the visualizations helps too, which is why the weapons tend to look more unique.

There are certain limits in the complexity of what she can create as well. Objects relying on electrical systems, chemical systems, Investure or complex mechanical systems would fail for example, though there are exceptions in that she is capable of creating firearms, though they are normally single-shot only, and their projectiles aren't actual bullets, but instead look more like solid masses of Investure. She's also capable of giving basic programming to objects she creates, though limited to things like hovering in the air and then launching or firing at a specific target location, possibly with some preprogrammed movement included. This (and projectile weapons as well) add a fair bit to the stormlight cost though, since the Stormlight is necessary to provide the energy of the movement. Stormlight cost of normal manifestations is only a bit higher than that of an illusion though, and any dismissed objects can have their stormlight reabsorbed, though broken objects will only allow for a part of the stormlight to be absorbed.

Placing an illusion on an object is possible as well, but costs much more stormlight, and takes a lot more effort, but is much less fragile. This temporarily changes the object into the illusion until the stormlight runs out. Destruction of the changed object will result in the illusion vanishing and the original object being destroyed as well. It isn't possible to use this on living beings, except when the target willingly accepts it. Also, the more the illusion diverges from the original object the more stormlight it costs. For example, a temporary appearance change like skin-color or height would be cheap, but shapeshifting into an animal would require too much stormlight to be practical. (200)

Weaknesses: She's rash, and doesn't back away from fights even if it's clear it's a bad idea. (-10) Is generally incapable of lying, and even when trying it's obvious to everyone that she's lying. (-5) The process of having her Spren fused with her has left her rather unhinged. (-10)

M(200) + S(110) - 25 (W) = 285

Character approved.

Spoiler

Abilities:

• Enhanced physiology:
    • No need for air, water or food, except for when talking. (25)
    • No need for sleep. (25)
    • Improved physical abilities. Her strength is somewhat more than that you'd expect of someone her size, but not by too much, being similar to that of a grown man. Her speed and reflexes have been enhanced a lot as well, being closer to that of a stormlight user, or someone burning tin and pewter. (60)
    • Time perception control. She's capable of slowing or speeding up her perception of time, though slowing it is difficult, and is generally something that happens on reflex, not something she can control. (50)
    • Rapid regeneration. (50)
    • Shapeshifting. Large scale shifts are difficult though, and she's normally limited to growing tentacles or vines and using them to attack. She is capable of growing eyes and other things on them though, or using them to secrete acid. (80)
  • Her cells act as gateways to a pocket dimension she controls, which she can use to get more mass for regenerating or shapeshifting, and she can send matter she consumes to it as well, or using it to quickly reabsorb cells of her body. I assume that this is nothing but "fuel" for her other abilities?
  • She is effectively two people, Aylitha and Karin, though normally only one of them is in control. Switching requires the mind that currently has control to yield it, and attempting to forcibly take control would simply paralyze her. Both minds have their own skill sets, and can't use each other's skills.

Note: In this case Aylitha doesn't have the level of skill she has in the present-day alleyverse, and isn't capable of splitting off other entities, modifying someone's body or hijacking people. There's also a limit to the amount of matter she can control at once, which is limited to an area of around a city-block, and Karin can control even less.

Skills:

• Aylitha: Intelligence (30), Scholarship (molecular biology) (20), average. Hand to hand combat, average. (20)
  • Karin: Hand to hand combat (40), Expert. Intelligence, smart (15), Scholarship (molecular biology), average. (20)

Weakness: Has two minds, and if either of the two disagrees with the actions of the one currently in control they can easily paralyze their body, though Karin doesn't interfere that often. (-10 // it depends on wether the paralysis will take control of them, without Karin actively trying to interfer or not. If she doesn't need to actively interfer, I can up that one) Switching also creates a moment of paralysis, especially switching to Karin, since she tends to not pay that much attention to what's happening. Karin is also somewhat pacifistic, and refuses to kill people while she's in control. (-20) Her body is also rather flammable, much more so than that of normal humans, and while her regeneration is fast enough that it can keep her alive it is enough to immobilize her and pin her down. (-15)

Karin:

180 (M) + 185 (S) + -45 (W) = 320

Aylitha:

180 (M) + 180 (S) + -25 (W) = 335

Character not approved. I based my rating of her skills on the closest Allomantic/ Ferucemic Arts, usually lowering the rating a little, since she can't flare or decide how much she stores/ withdraws. Karin is closer the point cap than Aylitha, but both are a little too strong.

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

@kenod Here you are. I'd hoped a little for Voidus to rate them with his Epic System, as I felt that it would be fairer in the end, but I gave my best ^_^

Hide contents

Placing an illusion on an object is possible as well, but costs much more stormlight, and takes a lot more effort, but is much less fragile. This temporarily changes the object into the illusion until the stormlight runs out. Destruction of the changed object will result in the illusion vanishing and the original object being destroyed as well. It isn't possible to use this on living beings, except when the target willingly accepts it. Also, the more the illusion diverges from the original object the more stormlight it costs. For example, a temporary appearance change like skin-color or height would be cheap, but shapeshifting into an animal would require too much stormlight to be practical. (200)

Weaknesses: She's rash, and doesn't back away from fights even if it's clear it's a bad idea. (-10) Is generally incapable of lying, and even when trying it's obvious to everyone that she's lying. (-5) The process of having her Spren fused with her has left her rather unhinged. (-10)

Character approved.

Hide contents

Abilities:

• Enhanced physiology:
    • Improved physical abilities. Her strength is somewhat more than that you'd expect of someone her size, but not by too much, being similar to that of a grown man. Her speed and reflexes have been enhanced a lot as well, being closer to that of a stormlight user, or someone burning tin and pewter. (60)
    • Time perception control. She's capable of slowing or speeding up her perception of time, though slowing it is difficult, and is generally something that happens on reflex, not something she can control. (50)
    • Shapeshifting. Large scale shifts are difficult though, and she's normally limited to growing tentacles or vines and using them to attack. She is capable of growing eyes and other things on them though, or using them to secrete acid. (80)
  • Her cells act as gateways to a pocket dimension she controls, which she can use to get more mass for regenerating or shapeshifting, and she can send matter she consumes to it as well, or using it to quickly reabsorb cells of her body. I assume that this is nothing but "fuel" for her other abilities?

Skills:

• Aylitha: Intelligence (30), Scholarship (molecular biology) (20), average. Hand to hand combat, average. (20)
  • Karin: Hand to hand combat (40), Expert. Intelligence, smart (15), Scholarship (molecular biology), average. (20)

Weakness: Has two minds, and if either of the two disagrees with the actions of the one currently in control they can easily paralyze their body, though Karin doesn't interfere that often. (-10 // it depends on wether the paralysis will take control of them, without Karin actively trying to interfer or not. If she doesn't need to actively interfer, I can up that one) Switching also creates a moment of paralysis, especially switching to Karin, since she tends to not pay that much attention to what's happening. Karin is also somewhat pacifistic, and refuses to kill people while she's in control. (-20) Her body is also rather flammable, much more so than that of normal humans, and while her regeneration is fast enough that it can keep her alive it is enough to immobilize her and pin her down. (-15)

Karin:

Aylitha:

Character not approved. I based my rating of her skills on the closest Allomantic/ Ferucemic Arts, usually lowering the rating a little, since she can't flare or decide how much she stores/ withdraws. Karin is closer the point cap than Aylitha, but both are a little too strong.

Alright, thanks. For Aylitha I figured that the skills of the different minds wouldn't add up, instead just taking the biggest number for each skill, since in most cases switching wouldn't improve them.

40 minutes ago, kenod said:

Alright, thanks. For Aylitha I figured that the skills of the different minds wouldn't add up, instead just taking the biggest number for each skill, since in most cases switching wouldn't improve them.

Do you mean that part?

I didn't add them, but rated them separately for each for them. Same as the weaknesses, as one of them is specific for Karin. If I took the highest number in each skill set and added these together, you would end up with a higher rating in total for both of them.

So basically I did the following:

Skills of the body = 180 (M) // 110 (S) (I didn't count the "no need to sleep" as a magical skill, as I interpreted it as a bodyli feature.

Plus

Aylitha specific skills  (70 S) // Karin Specific Skills (75 S) // in comparison: highest ability added up: intelligent (30) + scholarship (20) + hand to hand (40) = 90

Minus

Weaknesses affecting both (25 W)

Minus

Weaknesses affecting only one of them (20 W // only Karin)

Alternative: highest ability added up: Total sum: 180 (M) + 110 (S) + 90 (S) - 45 W = 335 for both (which in the end is, where Aylitha ended up, as the difference for the skills is being made up, by the weakness that only affects Karin)

9 hours ago, Sorana said:

Do you mean that part?

I didn't add them, but rated them separately for each for them. Same as the weaknesses, as one of them is specific for Karin. If I took the highest number in each skill set and added these together, you would end up with a higher rating in total for both of them.

So basically I did the following:

Skills of the body = 180 (M) // 110 (S) (I didn't count the "no need to sleep" as a magical skill, as I interpreted it as a bodyli feature.

Plus

Aylitha specific skills  (70 S) // Karin Specific Skills (75 S) // in comparison: highest ability added up: intelligent (30) + scholarship (20) + hand to hand (40) = 90

Minus

Weaknesses affecting both (25 W)

Minus

Weaknesses affecting only one of them (20 W // only Karin)

Alternative: highest ability added up: Total sum: 180 (M) + 110 (S) + 90 (S) - 45 W = 335 for both (which in the end is, where Aylitha ended up, as the difference for the skills is being made up, by the weakness that only affects Karin)

Ah, alright, I guess I didn't interpet that correctly. In that case I'll modify her a bit to fit within the limits.

Edit:

Aylitha v2 (Changed areas bolded):

Spoiler

Age: Doesn't apply, though her human form looks around 14.

Species: Eldritch abomination

Appearance: A young girl with bone-white skin and long, pitch-black hair, and purple eyes that are much too vivid. Wears a goth-loli outfit. Lacks internal organs.

Abilities:

• Enhanced physiology:
    • No need for air, water or food, except for when talking.
    • No need for sleep.
    • Improved physical abilities. Her strength is somewhat more than that you'd expect of someone her size, but not by too much, being similar to that of a grown man. Her speed and reflexes have been enhanced a lot as well, being closer to that of a stormlight user, or someone burning pewter.
    • Has improved night-vision, enough so that areas that are difficult to see for normal humans look clear to her. She does still need some light to see though, and sudden changes in brightness will still require a bit of time to adjust, though less long than for humans, and while using her night-vision changes in brightness that just clear things up a bit for normal humans can temporarily blind her.
    • Time perception control. She's capable of slowing or speeding up her perception of time, though slowing it is difficult, and is generally something that happens on reflex, not something she can control.
    • Rapid regeneration.
    • Shapeshifting. Large scale shifts are difficult though, and she's normally limited to growing tentacles or vines and using them to attack. She is capable of growing eyes and other things on them though, or using them to secrete acid.
  • Her cells act as gateways to a pocket dimension she controls, which she can use to get more mass for regenerating or shapeshifting, and she can send matter she consumes to it as well, or using it to quickly reabsorb cells of her body. This essentially just functions as fuel though.

Skills:

• Aylitha: Intelligence, intelligent. Scholarship (molecular biology), average. Hand to hand combat, average.
  • Karin: Hand to hand combat, Expert. Intelligence, smart, Scholarship (molecular biology), average.

Weakness: Has two minds, and if either of the two disagrees with the actions of the one currently in control they can easily paralyze their body, though Karin doesn't interfere that often. Switching also creates a moment of paralysis, especially switching to Karin, since she tends to not pay that much attention to what's happening. Karin is also somewhat pacifistic, and refuses to kill people while she's in control. Her body is also rather flammable, much more so than that of normal humans, and while her regeneration is fast enough that it can keep her alive it is enough to immobilize her and pin her down. While Karin is normally willing to let Aylitha do whatever she will interfere if Aylitha tries to kill people, or is doing something excessive that can harm bystanders, such as large-scale use of her powers.

Personality: Has two personalities, Aylitha and Karin, with Aylitha being in control the majority of the time.

• Aylitha:
    Tends to be rather curious, and sometimes doesn't really understand things about human society. Can sometimes come across as rather inhuman. Cares greatly for Karin, and hopes there's a way to get her to become more active again. Doesn't have a proper sense of danger. During fights she often relies on brute force and using large numbers and masses of tentacles to overwhelm opponents.
  • Karin:
    She has seen too many people die around her, and has become rather withdrawn. Voluntarily gave control to Aylitha, and hopes that it'll allow her to fade away. Tends to go dormant more and more. Refuses to kill anyone, and dislikes becoming close to other people. Hates anything to do with heroics, insisting that she simply helps a single person, without regards for the consequences. When actually becoming serious she becomes highly analytical. Dislikes using the active parts of her powers, and prefers fighting using just martial arts and her enhanced reflexes and speed. In contrast to Aylitha she prefers using smaller, precision attacks aimed at the weak points of her opponents.

They have a thing for barrier users, quickly taking a liking to them, though they can be unusually agressive towards them if they see one using their powers in ways they considers evil, like using them to harm others. Dislikes people with disintegration or power negation abilities. Generally wary of people with transmutation abilities, though she does open up to them easier. All of these are mostly because of people they've dealt with in the past.

History: Originally a normal girl who got possessed by Aylitha when an empowerment event hit her earth, she originally used her new powers to become a hero, but after a certain event caused a team-mate to die she left the team, instead wandering around, helping people she came across. Certain events happened that caused a large number of her friends to die though over time, and as old age started to set in on them as well she ended up becoming tired of living, and handed control to Aylitha in the hope that it would allow her some form of rest, though at this point she's still somewhat active. Aylitha afterwards started wandering as well, eventually finding the alleys and joining up with the DA around the same time as Mac, becoming friends with him. When the concept of the alleycity started floating around she ended up being neutral in the conflict, and instead started looking at the people involved, curious about what would happen.

Affiliation: DA, neutral faction, observer.

Theme song: Yuki Kajiura, Sis Puella Magica

@Sorana

Edited by kenod

11 hours ago, Sorana said:

Hide contents

Character approved.

Hide contents

Abilities:

• Enhanced physiology:

Skills:

Karin:

Aylitha:

Both actually pretty close to what I came up with, Aylitha came out a little lower for me since not needing to sleep is only a 15 under the usual Epic ratings, Nimari's powers I rated quite a bit lower due to the fact that this is limited on Stormlight and Epic powers usually don't have any limiting factor which is why they're score so highly most of the time.

But end of it all I came to the same judgements on Nimari is within limits, and Aylitha is just outside them.

@Voidus sorry to bother you, but any response to these?

On 11/19/2019 at 5:51 PM, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

Oh drat I was misremembering the point system. Well, making her the level beneath instead if expert. Add in the lower maximum fire control, and then point out to compounding nature of her weaknesses and cook some other weaknesses up.

So, I assume her epic weakness didn’t get points subtracted for it, but I would like to point out that her normal weakness makes it much worse. The epic weakness is based of perception, so if she does not believe someone actually cares about her, then she won’t have power.

Finally, *puts on the same cap I wore with the Jackal,* top to bottom, take what you need.

1. When she cares about someone she will go to extreme lengths to defend them.

2. When she tells a lie she begins to mix up the lie and the truth.

3. Absolutely hates slavers.

4. Rusts things when under stress. Especially annoying to mistborn and feruchemists.

5. Would never hurt a cat. Even if it’s huge and threatening to eat her.

6. Will kill enemies instead of capturing them unless someone stops her.

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

@Voidus sorry to bother you, but any response to these?

100 points in weaknesses is a lot, and I'm generally not a fan of just adding a giant list of unrelated weaknesses to a character purely for the purposes of getting them within points limits. Two or three well defined and meaningful weaknesses make a character interesting, having a giant laundry list of random phobias, allergies and tics just makes for confusion. Not trying to specifically call you out here, a lot of those on this list are actually really good as weaknesses, but general preference is for some really impactful weaknesses rather than just a bunch of them.

That being said I will take off a few more for the existing weaknesses since as you point out it does combine with the Epic weakness nicely, which is exactly what I was just suggesting.

So -25 for existing weaknesses:

8 minutes ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

1. When she cares about someone she will go to extreme lengths to defend them. -5

2. When she tells a lie she begins to mix up the lie and the truth. -15

3. Absolutely hates slavers. -5

4. Rusts things when under stress. Especially annoying to mistborn and feruchemists. -10

5. Would never hurt a cat. Even if it’s huge and threatening to eat her. -10

6. Will kill enemies instead of capturing them unless someone stops her. -5

Even with all of those it'd still be a little over, problem is a lot of them are basically just normal behaviour for people or something I would consider a natural consequence of existing weaknesses. Or in the case of slavers or the cats thing they're just a little too specific to be worth much, it's not often that a giant cat actually poses a threat to anyone.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

The cat comment is a very good point. But this is the Alleyverse, you never know.

How many points would bring a hemophiliac be?

Depends a lot on the character, for someone whose entire combat abilities are based around Hemalurgy? A lot.

For someone whose primary means of fighting doesn't involve a lot of blood, a lot less. Probably around 15 here. If you want something that allows for a lot of points to come off then it has to impact the character in a pretty dramatic way that will occur at least semi-frequently. SO while normally I'd only give a fear of fire somewhere in the same region of 15, if this character were to have a mortal fear of fire then it'd be worth more like 50+ because that's a contradiction to their powers.

3 minutes ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

Maybe. I did intend to put a focus on the rust though. I’m gonna think about this, maybe come up with something else, and get back to you in a bit.

Rusting abilities are annoying to allomancers but most other people use Shardblades or Aluminium anyway, not so useful offensively since anything made of rust is going to break pretty instantly.

Character ^_^

Spoiler

NameMr. Sloane

Appearance: He originates from the Alley Lit Through Venetian Blinds, and so carries the standard attire of a noir detective. Long, rugged dark overcoat, trousers and a fedora. Appears as a young man most of the time, though as a Returned he has learnt how to change his appearance. But no matter how he looks, as someone from a noir alley, he always appears in black and white when in the normal world, as if he’s actually from one of those black-and-white movies.

Due to him being a Returned from the noir dimension, instead of colours becoming stronger and more vibrant around him, the shades black and white do, creating a deeper sense of shadow and lighting when he’s around.

Skills: Returned (55), Tineye (35), Intelligent (30), Average hand-to-hand combatant (20), Amateur with knives (20), Skilled with a revolver (60). Good deductive skills.

Equipment: His six-shot revolver, a knife, spare ammunition, a small writing pad with a pencil, and spare vials of tin, and a ‘home sweet home’ postcard of his home alley.

Weakness: As a Returned, he needs a Breath every week. Falls into all of the standard film noir tropes, and isn’t quite used to the main world, so he tries to apply the tropes to the real world. This results in a very limited view of the world. If it isn’t in the TV Tropes page for ‘noir,’ he probably doesn’t know it :P, this opens him up for manipulation. Uniquely colourblind that he can only see black, white and red.

Personality: Very preservationist, and is against progression, believing everything is perfect just as it is. This stems from him coming from an Alley where everything is perpetually 1930s America, and always has been. He hates change, and believes everything should stay the same as it always has been. Other than that, cynical and always inquisitive to find answers to a mystery.

History: Born in the Alley Lit Through Venetian Blinds and became a small street youth. At 15 he was killed in a gang war and Returned, with zero memory of his previous life. Became a detective and for 14 years worked on cases until he found a way out of his home-dimension. Has spent one year so far in the Alleyverse.

Affiliation: Against the building of AlleyCity.

Edited by I think I am here.

So regarding starting this.

I figured we might want to have a small settlement in the place where Alleycity is in our time, or at least close by, so that we have some kind of landscape to interact with. I figured, that maybe these settlements are strewn all over the place, but that one, is of course special due to it location. What do you think?