AonEne

AV prequel thread ideas:

Hide contents
On 22.6.2019 at 2:58 AM, AonEne said:

Heeeeey, so I had an idea late last night. What if there was an RP in the Alleyverse set back in time, in Era 0 with the DA, but without any other guilds, showing what it was like back then. Maybe RPing the formation of the first non-DA guild or guilds and what it was like for them, stuff like that.

Was there life in this universe before the Worldspike? Was this a universe at all? I feel like it's been mentioned, but I don't know where.

On 22.6.2019 at 3:03 AM, Voidus said:

The universe was too unstable to support life before the worldspike, the purpose of that was to try to stabilize it enough to support life.

On 22.6.2019 at 3:06 AM, AonEne said:

So after the Worldspike and therefore after the DA. Still could be interesting, maybe? Not an RP interfering with the main plots going on, just off to the side like the alternate universes are.

You guys think we could bend canon, have the people who used to be in the first guild (or who posted there but weren't really Homeless) not exist? Or even bend canon to say a different one was first - maybe something that failed and was then squashed by the DA? It'd be interesting to RP a guild that we knew was doomed later on. To clarify, this would be one that doesn't exist currently OOC, canonically or even not.

On 22.6.2019 at 4:05 AM, Emperor Stick said:

Ooh, what if it's a alternate timeline?

On 22.6.2019 at 4:25 AM, AonEne said:
On 22.6.2019 at 4:18 AM, I think I am here. said:
On 22.6.2019 at 4:12 AM, AonEne said:
On 22.6.2019 at 4:09 AM, I think I am here. said:

Like how Voidus and the Stranger were talking about erasing the world, maybe they had already done it to another one, when the ‘experiment’ failed? But we don’t want to stretch canon too much.

And this is that experiment, and so it gets erased at the end? What do you mean by 'failed'?

Yes, I meant that this is that experiment. Like you said, it would be interesting if it was a world we knew was doomed later on.

And failed means that we rose up against the DA right away or something? If that's what you're going for then I suggest it be a situation where Voidus and the Stranger left quickly after spiking the universe (not sure if that's realistic or not, and of course we'd have to ask Voidus and Fatebreaker). The DA only rose up in the AV because of Voidus iirc, and didn't exist before that, so I guess I just answered my own question. What would 'fail' mean?

If we do decide for it to be in this timeline and in the history of this Alleyplanet, they might have an impact on history - or I suppose they also might not, if the DA exterminated them so completely.

On 22.6.2019 at 8:18 PM, Archer said:

The somewhat cliche thing to do would be to write a story with a bunch of characters who have vague similarities to their descendants if you look closely enough, throw in a few easter eggs of little consequence, but generally make the plot have nothing to do with anything related to the Alleyverse we know today. Then, at the end, during the victory celebration the heroes have when they defeat the Big Bad Evil Guy, one of the characters accidentally bumps the Massive Repercussions/Implications button that sets off a chain reaction that forms the Alleyverse as we know it, but the characters just laugh it off and finish up their prequel in an oblivious manner.

On 20.9.2019 at 1:37 PM, kenod said:

So, if we're going with a prequel thread, what kind of power-level are we going with? Because this sounds like an interesting opportunity to raise it quite a bit.

On 20.9.2019 at 3:11 PM, AonEne said:

Assuming the mods agree, we might be able to say up to, I don’t know, 300? Is that too much? Just throwing around ideas. 

On 20.9.2019 at 3:15 PM, kenod said:

I'm not sure. I just figured that since the plot likely means that the DA will likely have a more active role they'd likely have their normal power levels so we'd need to raise the power level of other characters as well to keep it being fun.

There was a little more, but this is all the discussion. Enough people seem to be interested for it to be a legit plot.

^ what I copy-pasted onto the Chat Thread

Oof, the formatting is messed up, I’ll try to fix it later. For now, my two cents are: we use the canon timeline. We change the power level to some extent just for this plot. Oh, and it’s been confirmed that any character used in this plot would not count as one of your character slots, like how it is with the alternate universes. 

What do you guys think? Days before all the guilds but the DA? During the time when some of those earlier guilds existed, and with characters possibly being members of them? Et cetera, et cetera. 

The plot is based around whether or not the Alleycity should be built (of course, in the end it will be). The point cap is now 300, with 100 having to be skills. It is 1,300ish years before the present day (200 years after the establishment of the AV). We want this to be less about the guilds and more about the individuals, and the DA might be less known at this time, since communication wouldn't be as great. 

List of Characters: 

Spoiler

@Rushu42 - Rathar 

Spoiler

Name: Rathar Alderbon (He demands to be addressed as "High King Alderbon)

Physical Appearance: Alderbon cuts an imposing figure; he stands well over 6 feet tall, and is well muscled, though rather slim. His face is firm and imperious, and his light violet eyes are piercing. His hair is black and long, reaching nearly to his shoulders. He wears a crown of dark, spiky metal, a finely cut black military uniform, and a dark red cloak. 

Investiture: He is a Skybreaker of the 5th ideal, and is very skilled in what he does. His Oaths are as follows:

- Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination.

- I will hold the law above all else.

- I will devote myself to the laws of the highest power.

- I will reclaim the leadership of my people.

- I am the Law. 

Spren: His spren is named Daimen. He had bonded a Knight Radiant soon before the Recreance, who fell in the fighting. Daimen was unbalanced by the loss, but continued to live, and eventually bonded Rathar under Nale's guidance. Daimen now thirsts for blood and power, and pushes Rathar to great acts of violence and cruelty. 

Skills: Alderbon is very talented with using his Investiture, and is an expert in fighting with plate and blade. He can be very stealthy when he needs to be, and has naturally keen senses. He also has a knack for telling truth from lies. He actually never lies himself; everything that he says he believes to be true.

Age: 32 years (although it's worth noting that he's spent time on two different worlds with different calendars, so that number may be inaccurate).

Personality: Alderbon is haughty, demanding, and cruel. He believes himself to be the one rightful ruler of the Alleyverse, and indeed the entire Cosmere. He's also very charismatic, though, and is a naturally compelling leader. 

Weaknesses: He is, if not insane, at least very unstable. He genuinely believes himself to be the rightful king of the universe, and is quick to punish those who disobey him. He believes that his word is law and has a violent temper. His greatest fear, of which he is only subconsciously aware, is of people removing his authority. This manifests most obviously in his paranoia, which is quite strong.

Backstory: 

Rathar was born in the Alleyverse, in a small settlement in the mountains. His mother seized control of the village, and soon merged it with those surrounding it, creating what nearly amounted to a small kingdom by the time he was 7. His father was from Roshar, and one day the two travelled back, where Rathar's father guided him to the order of the Skybreakers, where he was taken in by Name. Rathar proved himself to be precocious, and soon became Nale's favored apprentice.

Eventually, though, Rathar's instability began to manifest itself and Nale, alarmed by the man's defiance, sent him back to the Alleyverse to settle a dispute between several warring clans. Rathar declared himself to be the leader of both, however, and soon formed a group of loyal followers. He then returned with them to his mother's kingdom and demanded that she turn over the throne to him. When she refused, he killed her and swore his final oath. 

With a (small) land united under him, Rathar declared himself to be the rightful ruler of the Cosmere, and dedicated himself to the pursuit of this goal, beginning with the Alleyverse.

Followers: Although he technically has many followers among his people, there's only a handful whom he actually trusts. There most important are listed here. [I don't know how many points these add - they're not all blindly loyal, so I don't think it would just add their point values onto him, but I may be mistaken. I can always remove some or all of them.]

San Raed: She is the most trusted of Alderbon's followers, and the only other one with Investiture: she's a Copper Ferring. For one who believes in Rathar Alderbon, she has a surprisingly high sense of morality. Nevertheless, she upholds Rathar's claim to the throne, and usually handles the more practical concerns of his life, such as actually running the company. She is often urging Alderbon towards moderation and sanity. 

Mita Hiatel: She is usually around to provide extra muscle, and her advice frequently acts as a counter to San Raed's. She delights in violence, and also plays the viola in her spare time.

Panteros Dondal: Dondal frequents the underworld, and is excellent at procuring difficult to find supplies and information. He is generally optimistic, and he's motivated by money and power, which he believes that Alderbon can provide. 

@Ark1002 - Titus 

Spoiler

Name: Titus Elm Nightshade-Ebony

Investiture: Iron misting, brass ferring, Amberite Aether, 6 hemalurgic spikes (hearing, smell x2, strength x2) making him an abomination (see Other:)

Skills: Skilled hand to hand, amatuer melee weapons

Physical:

Eyes: Black, small golden ring, near the outside, red pupil

Ears: Elongated, pointed, lightly fuzzed at the top

Hair: White, waist length, braided with onyx beads.

Teeth: Long canines, and pointed teeth.

Skin: Tan, with a hint of a seafoam green under his eyes, on his back, and on his forearms.

Build: 6'5", extremely muscular, wide shoulders

Clothing: Usually wears a black leather jacket, without any metal to speak of, a mistcloak that is partially connected to the jacket, a belt with an aluminum buckle stamped with crossed hemalurgic spikes, black dress pants, and a deep red collared shirt. No shoes.

Other: Claws on hands and feet. Two small ridges on the spine.

Equipment: Metal vials, obsidian daggers, glass shortsword, wooden club with obsidian spikes

Planet: Alleyplanet

Family:

Martha Ebony (Grandmother) - Mexican immigrant from Legion Earth, fell in love with a member of the Dark Alley and moved to the Alleyplanet

Thomas Ebony (Grandfather) - Denizen of the Dark Alley, originally Scadrian noble

Albus Ebony (Father) - Born on the Alleyplanet, tin misting, went to a school on Sel for two years, never joined a guild

Esmeralda Nightshade (Mother) - Bastard of a noble line in early Final Empire Scadrial, eventually became a Worldhopper, were she obtained an Amberite aether and discovered she was a Mistborn

Abigail Nightshade-Ebony (Older sister, deceased) - No powers, born on the Alleyplanet, she died at the age of twelve in the woods, when she got attacked by a Koloss

Max Nighshade-Ebony (Younger brother) - Bronze misting, born on the Alleyplanet, became a trapper of invested beings on the Alleyplanet after his sister died

Weaknesses: Egotistical, instinctual, can be controlled by a strong rioter or soother. Afraid of heat, Koloss, and cremlings. A crinkle of his nose when he lies. A blind spot when it comes to women, as he feels it is his duty to protect them. Taps his fingers aggressively when he is angry, or before he attacks. Missing two fingers on his left hand. Has a strong allergic reaction to honey.

Alignment: Chaotic Nuetral

Personality: Animal, wild, doesn't feel as strong compassion as most, feels a strong attraction towards the wild, untamed, chaotic, both with himself, with the world, and with women and men. Likes violent, predatory creatures and people. Is generally a badchull.

Backstory: Born into the Ivory Tribe, a wandering group who roamed the forests of the Alleyplanets, he was with them when they decided to settle down, when he was nine. This was because of the murder of his sister. Thomas, his grandfather, and Lex, another elder, supported this decision, as it made their jobs in the Dark Alley easier. They created Fort Ivory, and Titus grew up there. He got attacked by wolves when he was ten, and snapped in the delirious fever afterward. Discovering this, he began to wander further and further. At thirteen, the day he was gifted his Amberite aether, when he became a man in his tribes eyes, he left the tribe, to join larger civilization. And, more importantly, the Dark Alley. Titus joined up, learning the ropes, and got his first spikes, a human smell spike. As he learned, creating creatures, he eventually signed up for an experiment, Project Wilde. They gave him his other spikes, and he transformed. Only one of the others survived, and Titus survived only because of pewter. He continued his life in the Dark Alley, but he now had an instinctual, wild side. He was territorial, he was more aggressive. And deep within him was the urge to become the Alpha. When he heard of the founding of a city, he decided to join, to start a noble house like his Grandfather, Thomas, had told him off. And he would be the Alpha. He would be powerful. And his legacy would endure forever. 

@Sorana - Raphael 

Spoiler

Name: Raphael Merei

Appearance: tall and handsome man, with pale skin and blonde hair, he has green peircing eyes and short, but nimble fingers // he takes great care of his appearance, his cloths are always perfectly ironed and spotless, his whole appearance is a piece of art and he spends lots of time polishing himself

Investiture: A-chromium (35),

Skills: Intelligent (30), Expert Medical knowledge (40), Skilled Apothecary (25)

Equiptment: Bag full of medical tools, several potions he needs while operating a person, several sets of clothing, lots of cremes/ oil to take of his skin and hair, Raphael uses Motivators and fabrials while working on his Creations, but as he fears them getting dirty or being destroyed they never leave his laboratory

Weakness: needs to be clean, always desinfects his hands and changes into a new set of cloths as soon as he has discovered a spot (exemption are his work cloths, those are full off blood and he doesn't mind); he tidies up endlessly and has a defined spot for every tool of his, if a tool is resting somewhere he gets restless and has to tidy up before he can go on working

Personality: vain, dreams of building the perfect chimera and would do nearly everything to achieve that goal, dislikes travelling and dirt

History: Raphael was born in the northern part of the world that some refered to as Alleyverse. He never really cared for the various guilds, nor did he plan to get involved, but in the end his own interests lead him to search out those with greater knowledge than himself.

Raphael was born to a rich family controlling a larger region in the North. His father belongs to a guild whose name was lost in time, although Raphael never joined. As a child he was severly burnt during an accident, leading to his father rebuilding his body from scratch and also changing his hair colour. Ever since Raphael changed, the experience showing him how much is possible with the right tools and knowledge. He started to dream of a creature that combine the many different features in itself and, nearly unconciously, is looking for a way to perfect his own body.

Affiliation: n/a

@ZincAboutIt - Kaz and Baz 

Spoiler

Names: Doctors Kaspar and Balthazar (Kaz and Baz) Renard

Physical Characteristics: Identical twins. Age 32. Tall ~6’1”. Slender, lean and scholarly build. Brown hair, green eyes, lightish olive skin. Long and clever fingers, angular features, very white teeth. Too white. Look a bit too sharp - they are too sharp.

Investiture: Hereditary Zinc Compounders. The twins each have one spike granting them F-Copper as well.

Skills: Naturally intelligent. With F-Zinc, this of course varies, though rarely lowers as they can compound. In-depth medical knowledge, Hemalurgic expertise. Very adept at using Zinc Allomancy as well.

Equipment: Various Zinc and Copper rings, bracers, earrings; metal vials full of Zinc flakes. Kaz carries a bonesaw called Enlightenment. Baz wields a scalpel called Brevity. Neither has any magical properties but they are very sharp, and shiny, and the two know how to use them.

Weakness: Kaspar is blind in one eye. Balthazar is missing his pinky and ring fingers on his right hand. Both brothers suffer from paranoid delusions. They will occasionally hallucinate their third brother stalking them.

Family: Parents probably alive on Scadrial, one very dead brother (see backstory)

Home Planet: Scadrial

Backstory: Kaspar and Balthazar were born as two of three identical triplets on Scadrial circa Era 2. Their third brother, Malchior, was technically the oldest and never as close as the other two were to one another. Still, the three of them were brilliant and charismatic, using their compounding skills to rise high in the field of scholarly research, science, and medicine. But Kaz and Baz were never satisfied with their accomplishments - they wanted more. They wanted the secrets of the old world, the powers that made Inquisitors, the power that allowed the Lord Ruler to reign for a thousand years. Finally, the three brothers discovered the Alleyverse after being recruited by a Denizen. Kaz and Baz were thrilled, but Malchior had his misgivings. Eventually, after learning the secrets of the Alleys and the true depths of what Hemalurgy could do, Malchior wanted out. Kaz and Baz provided him a way out: they spiked one power each out of their triplet, killing him. Kaz lost his eye and Baz lost two fingers in the fight. They saved the spikes in order to re-create their ideal, perfect triplet when they find him. He’s out there, they just know it. When the time is right, they’ll replace Malchior with the triplet they should have had. It isn’t entirely clear whether or not Malchior’s spirit is haunting his brothers, or if their spikes have simply cracked the twins’ already somewhat unstable psyches.

Guild: Dark Alley

Personality: Kaz and Baz are both charismatic, brilliant and charming. They are ruthless, efficient, and egotistical, caring little for anyone but one another - though their bond with one another is almost akin to being one person. They spend all their time together, and would do anything for each other. However, they have never disagreed about anything important. That bond has yet to be truly tested. They are continuously on the lookout for the ideal replacement for their triplet. Many have been tried, but no one has been deemed worthy. They are willing to go through as many people as it takes to find their perfect brother. If someone doesn’t work out, they can always be used for scientific research instead. Waste not, want not. 

Note from Ene: also they’re addicted to drugs, read the thread 

@kenod - Nimari and Aylitha/Karin 

Spoiler

Name: Nimari

Appearance: Alethi, 5'7" tall, with long black hair and dark purple eyes. Has a large, intricate tattoo resembling a Cryptic's pattern covering most of her torso, centered around a number of small spikes. Wears a long-sleeved shirt, jeans and combat boots. Part of the shirt's back is missing to show off her spikes. Wears a leather finger-less glove on her left hand.

Investure: Originally a Lightweaver, A hemalurgic experiment has altered her abilities. Her spren has been fully fused with her, increasing her abilities, but making it impossible to manifest a Shardblade or Plate. At the same time her surges have been altered as well, having been combined into a single ability that allows her to create temporary physical objects. The objects she creates are rather fragile though, normally only surviving for a few attacks. Putting more effort into the visualizations helps too, which is why the weapons tend to look more unique.

There are certain limits in the complexity of what she can create as well. Objects relying on electrical systems, chemical systems, Investure or complex mechanical systems would fail for example, though there are exceptions in that she is capable of creating firearms, though they are normally single-shot only, and their projectiles aren't actual bullets, but instead look more like solid masses of Investure. She's also capable of giving basic programming to objects she creates, though limited to things like hovering in the air and then launching or firing at a specific target location, possibly with some preprogrammed movement included. This (and projectile weapons as well) add a fair bit to the stormlight cost though, since the Stormlight is necessary to provide the energy of the movement. Stormlight cost of normal manifestations is only a bit higher than that of an illusion though, and any dismissed objects can have their stormlight reabsorbed, though broken objects will only allow for a part of the stormlight to be absorbed.

Placing an illusion on an object is possible as well, but costs much more stormlight, and takes a lot more effort, but is much less fragile. This temporarily changes the object into the illusion until the stormlight runs out. Destruction of the changed object will result in the illusion vanishing and the original object being destroyed as well. It isn't possible to use this on living beings, except when the target willingly accepts it. Also, the more the illusion diverges from the original object the more stormlight it costs. For example, a temporary appearance change like skin-color or height would be cheap, but shapeshifting into an animal would require too much stormlight to be practical.

Skills: Melee, skilled (50), projectiles, skilled (60)

Weaknesses: She's rash, and doesn't back away from fights even if it's clear it's a bad idea. Is generally incapable of lying, and even when trying it's obvious to everyone that she's lying. The process of having her Spren fused with her has left her rather unhinged.

Personality: Rather unhinged, she doesn't have any issue with hurting other people, and her own philosophy is that the strong have the right to rule the weak, and because of this does her best to prove that she is one of the strong. While normally calm and easy going, her personality can suddenly flip into rage as well, and she tends to feel a need to hurt other people. She's well aware of these issues with her personality, and has embraced them, figuring that someone with her strength doesn't need to care about the consequences. lying to her tends to set her off, though seeing someone pull off a successful lie on someone else can amuse her as well.

Family: Her parents are still alive on Roshar, and she has two older brothers. She has mostly forgotten about them though, and doesn't really care about them.

Backstory: Originally from Roshar during one of the later Desolations she was picked to become a lightweaver, but soon displayed some troubling personality aspects, mainly in her love of fighting, and eventually she got into trouble for experimenting with using Soulcasting, using it in unnecessarily cruel ways on Voidbringers. Annoyed she left, and accidentally she ended up in the alleys, but instead of joining up she was captured and used for an experiment, which modified her powers and partially broke her mind. Once she finally regained a semblance of sanity she decided to stay, liking the new lethality of her powers and the knowledge the DA had, as well as their methods. When she learned about the plan to build the alleycity she joined up with the pro-city group, but unknown to many joined up with the faction planning on taking control of the place after it was build, becoming its rulers.

Guild: DA, pro-city faction, ruler splinter group.

Theme song: Beth Crowley, Monster

Name: Aylitha/Karin Dreier/Eldritch

Age: Doesn't apply, though her human form looks around 14.

Species: Eldritch abomination

Appearance: A young girl with bone-white skin and long, pitch-black hair, and purple eyes that are much too vivid. Wears a goth-loli outfit. Lacks internal organs.

Abilities: 

• Enhanced physiology:
    Her body is made up out of non-human cells, which grant her various abilities:
    • No need for air, water or food, except for when talking.
    • No need for sleep.
    • Improved physical abilities. Her strength is somewhat more than that you'd expect of someone her size, but not by too much, being similar to that of a grown man. Her speed and reflexes have been enhanced a lot as well, being closer to that of a stormlight user, or someone burning pewter.
    • Has improved night-vision, enough so that areas that are difficult to see for normal humans look clear to her. She does still need some light to see though, and sudden changes in brightness will still require a bit of time to adjust, though less long than for humans, and while using her night-vision changes in brightness that just clear things up a bit for normal humans can temporarily blind her.
    • Time perception control. She's capable of slowing or speeding up her perception of time, though slowing it is difficult, and is generally something that happens on reflex, not something she can control.
    • Rapid regeneration.
    • Shapeshifting. Large scale shifts are difficult though, and she's normally limited to growing tentacles or vines and using them to attack. She is capable of growing eyes and other things on them though, or using them to secrete acid.
  • Her cells act as gateways to a pocket dimension she controls, which she can use to get more mass for regenerating or shapeshifting, and she can send matter she consumes to it as well, or using it to quickly reabsorb cells of her body. This essentially just functions as fuel though.
  • She is effectively two people, Aylitha and Karin, though normally only one of them is in control. Switching requires the mind that currently has control to yield it, and attempting to forcibly take control would simply paralyze her. Both minds have their own skill sets, and can't use each other's skills.

Note: In this case Aylitha doesn't have the level of skill she has in the present-day alleyverse, and isn't capable of splitting off other entities, modifying someone's body or hijacking people. There's also a limit to the amount of matter she can control at once, which is limited to an area of around a city-block, and Karin can control even less.

Skills: 

• Aylitha: Intelligence, intelligent. Scholarship (molecular biology), average. Hand to hand combat, average.
  • Karin: Hand to hand combat, Expert. Intelligence, smart, Scholarship (molecular biology), average.

Weakness: Has two minds, and if either of the two disagrees with the actions of the one currently in control they can easily paralyze their body, though Karin doesn't interfere that often. Switching also creates a moment of paralysis, especially switching to Karin, since she tends to not pay that much attention to what's happening. Karin is also somewhat pacifistic, and refuses to kill people while she's in control. Her body is also rather flammable, much more so than that of normal humans, and while her regeneration is fast enough that it can keep her alive it is enough to immobilize her and pin her down. While Karin is normally willing to let Aylitha do whatever she will interfere if Aylitha tries to kill people, or is doing something excessive that can harm bystanders, such as large-scale use of her powers.

Personality: Has two personalities, Aylitha and Karin, with Aylitha being in control the majority of the time.

• Aylitha:
    Tends to be rather curious, and sometimes doesn't really understand things about human society. Can sometimes come across as rather inhuman. Cares greatly for Karin, and hopes there's a way to get her to become more active again. Doesn't have a proper sense of danger. During fights she often relies on brute force and using large numbers and masses of tentacles to overwhelm opponents.
  • Karin:
    She has seen too many people die around her, and has become rather withdrawn. Voluntarily gave control to Aylitha, and hopes that it'll allow her to fade away. Tends to go dormant more and more. Refuses to kill anyone, and dislikes becoming close to other people. Hates anything to do with heroics, insisting that she simply helps a single person, without regards for the consequences. When actually becoming serious she becomes highly analytical. Dislikes using the active parts of her powers, and prefers fighting using just martial arts and her enhanced reflexes and speed. In contrast to Aylitha she prefers using smaller, precision attacks aimed at the weak points of her opponents.

They have a thing for barrier users, quickly taking a liking to them, though they can be unusually agressive towards them if they see one using their powers in ways they considers evil, like using them to harm others. Dislikes people with disintegration or power negation abilities. Generally wary of people with transmutation abilities, though she does open up to them easier. All of these are mostly because of people they've dealt with in the past.

History: Originally a normal girl who got possessed by Aylitha when an empowerment event hit her earth, she originally used her new powers to become a hero, but after a certain event caused a team-mate to die she left the team, instead wandering around, helping people she came across. Certain events happened that caused a large number of her friends to die though over time, and as old age started to set in on them as well she ended up becoming tired of living, and handed control to Aylitha in the hope that it would allow her some form of rest, though at this point she's still somewhat active. Aylitha afterwards started wandering as well, eventually finding the alleys and joining up with the DA around the same time as Mac, becoming friends with him. When the concept of the alleycity started floating around she ended up being neutral in the conflict, and instead started looking at the people involved, curious about what would happen.

Affiliation: DA, neutral faction, observer.

Theme song: Yuki Kajiura, Sis Puella Magica

@I think I am here. - Mr. Sloane 

Spoiler

NameMr. Sloane

Appearance: He originates from the Alley Lit Through Venetian Blinds, and so carries the standard attire of a noir detective. Long, rugged dark overcoat, trousers and a fedora. Appears as a young man most of the time, though as a Returned he has learnt how to change his appearance. But no matter how he looks, as someone from a noir alley, he always appears in black and white when in the normal world, as if he’s actually from one of those black-and-white movies.

Due to him being a Returned from the noir dimension, instead of colours becoming stronger and more vibrant around him, the shades black and white do, creating a deeper sense of shadow and lighting when he’s around.

Skills: Returned (55), Tineye (35), Intelligent (30), Average hand-to-hand combatant (20), Amateur with knives (20), Skilled with a revolver (60). Good deductive skills.

Equipment: His six-shot revolver, a knife, spare ammunition, a small writing pad with a pencil, and spare vials of tin, and a ‘home sweet home’ postcard of his home alley.

Weakness: As a Returned, he needs a Breath every week. Falls into all of the standard film noir tropes, and isn’t quite used to the main world, so he tries to apply the tropes to the real world. This results in a very limited view of the world. If it isn’t in the TV Tropes page for ‘noir,’ he probably doesn’t know it :P, this opens him up for manipulation. Uniquely colourblind that he can only see black, white and red.

Personality: Very preservationist, and is against progression, believing everything is perfect just as it is. This stems from him coming from an Alley where everything is perpetually 1930s America, and always has been. He hates change, and believes everything should stay the same as it always has been. Other than that, cynical and always inquisitive to find answers to a mystery.

History: Born in the Alley Lit Through Venetian Blinds and became a small street youth. At 15 he was killed in a gang war and Returned, with zero memory of his previous life. Became a detective and for 14 years worked on cases until he found a way out of his home-dimension. Has spent one year so far in the Alleyverse.

Affiliation: Against the building of AlleyCity. 

@AonEne - Piper 

Spoiler

Name: Sandpiper Dexti - goes by Piper 

Appearance: Long sandy-blond hair, short height, sixteen years old, light gray eyes, wiry, dark brown Terris skin 

Investiture: Twinborn - Spinner/chromium Ferring, Smoker/copper Misting; spike granting Forgery 

Skills: Smart Intelligence; sometimes Expert Projectile Weapon Combat Training [see Equipment] 

Equipment: Essence Mark that grants her a decade of training with all types of projectiles [see Skills]; carries a few throwing knives and an M16 5.56 mm carbine rifle from Earth, and a bag with basic carving equipment, a little money, copper vials, ammo, and the Mark; has a number of chromiumminds, most full. 

Weaknesses: Almost always storing Fortune, so she has awful luck; has a Hemalurgic spike; emotionally neglected. 

Family: Mother alive in the Village, father dead (though Piper is unaware of this) 

Home Planet: Scadrial (E2) 

Backstory: Born in the Village to her Pathian mother and Survivorist father, Piper was raised close to conflict. Her parents split up when she was young, and she went back and forth between living with them, both belittling her - one hating her Allomantic ability and the other hating her for being a girl as his only child - leading her to slowly become convinced of her worthlessness. During a test of her father’s, she got lost in the alleys of Elendel and found herself in a settlement in the Alleyverse. 

Guild/affiliation: Guildless, pro-Alleycity 

Personality: As a teenager who didn’t believe in either religion her parents did and was often neglected, she developed a hatred of herself and anyone she thinks is like her, who she tries to hurt or kill (she doesn’t hurt herself, however, instead constantly storing to let the world itself hurt her). She is abrasive with a dark sense of humor, and doesn’t like getting to know other people. 

Theme Song: Bleeding Out by Imagine Dragons 

Fighting Style: Sometimes able to exploit the bad luck around her when fighting others in close combat; attacks from afar when she can. 

Edited by Sorana
Edited Raphael

Regarding guilds, we could use the guilds that existed during the DA's founding on the shard, back when the guild's section was more active. In that case, the Newcago court should be around in some fashion. Also, while TUBA might not exist, anti-DA guilds have been around for a long time (you lot didn't think you were the first to use the name Light Alley, did you?). I'm not sure about anything regarding the GBs, but we should be able to have precursors to the current guilds running around, or at least groups similar to the current ones.

5 hours ago, kenod said:

Regarding guilds, we could use the guilds that existed during the DA's founding on the shard, back when the guild's section was more active. In that case, the Newcago court should be around in some fashion. Also, while TUBA might not exist, anti-DA guilds have been around for a long time (you lot didn't think you were the first to use the name Light Alley, did you?). I'm not sure about anything regarding the GBs, but we should be able to have precursors to the current guilds running around, or at least groups similar to the current ones.

I don't know a lot about the Newcago Court, but yes, I do know we weren't the first to come up with that name (especially considering you lot tried to sue us for it ;)). Wasn't the Assassins In Technicolor a thing? Though we don't need to have 'replace all the guilds with ones close in function' - in fact, that might make this too similar to nowadays, which is the last thing we want.

I personally will be RPing a character that will give Ark a well explained backstory. They will be DA.

As I see it, there's three places to reasonably start. The time when the Alleyverse is just being created so Voidus can get all the DA people together. Some time during Era 0, when there's the original light alley, back when the Newcago Court was big. Or right before TUBA and GBs and that stuff was created.

I personally would prefer the second, though the first comes close. Era 1 was too recent.

14 minutes ago, Ark1002 said:

As I see it, there's three places to reasonably start. The time when the Alleyverse is just being created so Voidus can get all the DA people together. Some time during Era 0, when there's the original light alley, back when the Newcago Court was big. Or right before TUBA and GBs and that stuff was created.

I personally would prefer the second, though the first comes close. Era 1 was too recent.

Yeah, not the third. We also want people to be able to write a character who isn’t in the DA if they want, and the first option you proposed sounds like just DA. So the second is probably the best idea, or just before it. 

I agree that it should be the second option. First or third runs the risk of knocking big holes in continuity - ones larger than what the mimes would be able to handle.

In terms of when we should set it, I’d say at least a few generations behind. Enough to put significant distance between then and now, but close enough so ancestors of Era 1 characters could be included.

Plot-wise: I’d be really interested in seeing a guild conflict that wasn’t against the DA, like the one that almost happened between the Keepers and the Diagramists. The plot starts with an uneasy tension - conflict breaks out when one guild tries to eliminate another due to an age-old rivalry. The plot ends when all rival guilds are eliminated, the conflict is resolved, or a truce is reached. If the DA is involved, then it’s obvious who is going to win, but if it’s a conflict between a whole bunch of defunct guilds, then we can make the story up on the fly. Since the guilds are all defunct in a few generations, then anyone could come out on top.

Brief spitballing. The Newcago Court is ruled by Queen Elsa Steelheart, but she also runs a Court composed of representatives from the various guilds. People with more power or leverage (holding a frostblade (?), or an important trade route like the Turnpike or Highway) make up more of the Court. When those pieces of power change hands, the Queen makes them more powerful in the Court to appease them and make sure that nobody too powerful turns against her. A sort of slim-majority is formed between a bunch of allied guilds in the Court, but that is disrupted when the leading member of the majority-leading guild is killed and their frostblade (or whatever it’s called) is taken by an opposing (but unknown guild). The ruling guild needs to take more power, and fast, which they have to do by assassinating and stealing someone else’s frostblade, which in turn starts the power struggle. And soon whoever holds the Turnpike and Highway goes up in the air, as well. 

That would probably be far too complicated (and maybe not that interesting?), but the mind boggles at the possibilities. I’d envision three alliances, and a majority is formed out of being the largest alliance. Maybe a minor guild provides the slim-majority, but they jump ship to another alliance, putting them in power. And then both of the minority alliances have to fight to get it back...

Insofar as it’s relevant:

Spoiler

Locations:

In the Alleyvillage: 

- The Turnpike 
 - The Roundabout
 - The Highway
 - A number of alleys, with various degrees of luminosity
 - Other guild headquarters

In Newcago:

- Newcago Court

Guilds:

- The Turnpikers
 - The Roundabouters
 - The Highwaymen

- DA - Non-Hemalurgic Research Division*
 - Alley Lit Through Venetian Blinds
 - Light Alley**
 - The Anti-Bakery
 - Dark Alley
 - Newcago Court

*Subset of DA.

**Different, unrelated LA to the one you’re familiar with.

Italics: unofficial names that I made up.

Taking out the DA and the Court, that makes 7 guilds, all of relatively equal strength (assuming NHRD is autonomous of the DA). Say that holding the Turnpike gives you x number of seats in the Court, the Highway gives you y, a frostblade gives you z seats per blade - one of the alliances barely holds enough to have the most seats. When they lose the frostblade, they’re in danger of losing everything, so they act desperately to keep control.

Unfortunately, this is both really complicated, really game-like (we’d probably need someone running it like with the Spooktacular Extravaganza) and would either play out significantly through PMs or require a lot of threads to keep all of the Guild meetings separate. (I’d probably settle with one Court thread, and an instruction to keep everything that didn’t have to absolutely be kept secret out of PMs.) So I’d understand if nobody wanted to do this.

3 hours ago, MetaTerminal said:

In terms of when we should set it, I’d say at least a few generations behind. Enough to put significant distance between then and now, but close enough so ancestors of Era 1 characters could be included. 

Plot-wise: I’d be really interested in seeing a guild conflict that wasn’t against the DA. [...] Unfortunately, this is both really complicated and really game-like. So I’d understand if nobody wanted to do this. 

Agreed. 

While your idea sounds pretty interesting, it also does sound complicated, like you said, and more game or politics than the FFRP that the AV normally has. So definitely a cool idea, but I don’t know if I’d do it. 

My suggestion is that we abandon guild conflict almost altogether for this plot and have people just establishing stuff like that, mostly fearing or staying away from the DA (NHRD isn’t autonomous, btw). Like, the Alleycity is new, it’s an age of exploration or enlightenment. We’ve had a lot of PVP and PV-guild stuff; this is a good opportunity to change it up, plus have some fun worldbuilding etc. 

Edited by AonEne
Posted before I meant to

The whisper-thin cheesecloth that is my conscience is weeping softly in the corner and begging me to try out RPing a character that isn't corrupt, power-hungry, devious, or insane. But, I probably won't. ;) I've always wanted to try my hand at the limitless-demigod game, personally. *cue dark Galadriel speech*

1 hour ago, I think I am here. said:

Maybe a person from another planet who just stumbled across the land of gods :P

Something like that. And then a nice corruption arc and have that character get spiked several times, growing power hungry, or she'll just die at one point. Actually the last one is more likely. :P

19 hours ago, ZincAboutIt said:

The whisper-thin cheesecloth that is my conscience is weeping softly in the corner and begging me to try out RPing a character that isn't corrupt, power-hungry, devious, or insane. But, I probably won't. ;) I've always wanted to try my hand at the limitless-demigod game, personally. *cue dark Galadriel speech*

I'm the opposite; I've been considering playing an evil character for once (such I rarely do even in other RPs, for context). I'm thinking either a corrupted Skybreaker or an interesting epic. Which would fit better in this plot?

1 minute ago, Rushu42 said:

I'm the opposite; I've been considering playing an evil character for once (such I rarely do even in other RPs, for context). I'm thinking either a corrupted Skybreaker or an interesting epic. Which would fit better in this plot?

Who knows? Probably either. Come be evil morally creative with me! :D 

I'll either be using Aylitha before she joined the DA (which does need a higher point limit, given that she'd have essentially endless regeneration), or a somewhat insane old DA experiment (basically a lightweaver that had their spren fused into their body and their surges modified).