Calvin and Hobbes

49 minutes ago, Ammanas said:

Does everyone remember when Calvin decided not to study for the test and just let Stupendous Man take it instead? One of my favorites! I’ll post one of the last strips in this epic story to jog everyone’s memory 

F77DED6D-3D22-432F-A89F-363F3E20E209.png

Funniest story ever. That or Stupendous man V. Rosalind (I can't rember how you spell her name.)

I am now going to propose my theory for Calvin's home state, even pointing to the area where the strip is located. Here me out if you want, otherwise there is a tl;dr at the bottom. (Not like this is heavily debated subject, I just have always wondered)

So, to begin: A few pinpoints we have to address: It won't be somewhere desert-y, like Arizona, because it snows plenty and one of Calvin's favorite activities is to run around in the woods. The obvious candidate- that I came up with, at least- is Ohio, where Bill Watterson grew up. Hopefully I don't need to explain who that is. The reason for this?

The suburban Midwestern United States setting of Ohio was part of the inspiration for Calvin and Hobbes.

So, there is that. Also, in a strip where Calvin and Hobbes blast off into outer space in their wagon, they are determining where they live.

Spoiler

Calvin and Hobbes Comic Strip for September 30, 1988  

Picture an atlas of the United States. Where would the 'E' be? About where Ohio is, on the east coast but close enough to the middle of the country not to be the 'S' at the end. So now we have a state. Ohio has plenty of woodland area and gets snow each winter, so that checks off another box. 

But where in Ohio?

Take notice of the last panel of this comic:

Spoiler

Calvin and Hobbes Comic Strip for July 06, 1986  

Calvin's home is apparently an hour and a half from... the ocean? Ohio isn't next to an ocean! But it does border Lake Erie. A lake large enough to look like an ocean when drawn in a comic strip. 

There are multiple towns in Ohio an hour and a half from Lake Erie. I don't see enough info in just the comics (at least that I'm remembering) to pinpoint where exactly in Ohio his hometown is, but I do know it is not Bill Watterson's hometown which lies only 30 minutes away from the lake border. 

The possibilities include Carrollton, Strasburg, and a bunch of other places I don't need to mention. 

The only other obvious landmark for Calvin's home location is their summer vacation camping trip. The constants across the board are the big cities being driven through and the trip taking 8 hours, and being in a different state. There are several National forests around 8 hours from the location of his home (Carrollton/Strasburg/other Ohio) such as Nantahala and Uwharrie National Forests in North Carolina. Any of these is a viable candidate. If anyone else wants to dig deeper into this, they can, but I think this sufficiently satisfies my wonderings. :) 

TL;DR as promised: Calvin lives around the center of Ohio, goes to Lake Erie for his beach comics, and goes to a North Carolina National forest for his summer camping trip comics.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably one of the saddest moments in C&H.  I recently however discovered my old collections at my parents and reread through all of them.  Oh the nostalgia!

Calvin the pills must be working.jpg

Edit:  This isn't a real strip, apparently it's fan-made.

Edited by DalinarTD
I got schooled

I though you guys would like this. I originaly posted it in the non-adult club but it belongs here as well

On 5/26/2020 at 0:23 PM, Shard of Reading said:

The GoComics Blog: Weekly giveaways, comics news, gossip ...

This is my knight radiant order.

On 5/26/2020 at 1:10 PM, Shard of Reading said:

Second ideal:

Another letter from his past self. | Calvin and hobbes comics ...

Third ideal:
Bill Watterson Calvin and Hobbes Daily Comic Strip Original Art ...

Fourth ideal:

Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson for July 09, 2015 (With images ...

Fifth ideal:

Calvin and Hobbes' creator Bill Watterson - Business Insider

On 5/26/2020 at 3:59 PM, Shard of Reading said:

And the master 6th Ideal. 

Calvin and Hobbes makes sense of quarantine life, 25 years later ...

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/05/2020 at 11:14 PM, DalinarTD said:

This is probably one of the saddest moments in C&H.  I recently however discovered my old collections at my parents and reread through all of them.  Oh the nostalgia!

Calvin the pills must be working.jpg

Edit:  This isn't a real strip, apparently it's fan-made.

Why would someone make this? Why would you post this? What did we do to you, @DalinarTD Why?

Edited by The_Truthwatcher

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...