Shalash and Ashyn

Ciridae

It just hit me that Jezrien probably named Ash after Ashyn. 

Willshaper Wallar

...Were the Heralds alive for the human exodus from Ashyn?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They were not Heralds then, but they all made that trip. I believe. My timeline-- You can't nail me down on that one, because it's possible that Ash was born after, but I don't think so.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018)

Ash would have been born just around the time humans destroyed Ashyn and had to flee to Roshar. Seems like a thing people might do after having to leave their home planet.

Everyone close to her calls her Ash, and I’m inclined to believe that that is her real name and Shalash is just Vorinism making her name symmetrical. 

Just thought it was an interesting possibility, and it fits with Shin(ovar) deriving its name from Ashyn as well, which I always thought was really cool. 

15 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

It just hit me that Jezrien probably named Ash after Ashyn. 

Ash would have been born just around the time humans destroyed Ashyn and had to flee to Roshar. Seems like a thing people might do after having to leave their home planet.

Everyone close to her calls her Ash, and I’m inclined to believe that that is her real name and Shalash is just Vorinism making her name symmetrical. 

Just thought it was an interesting possibility, and it fits with Shin(ovar) deriving its name from Ashyn as well, which I always thought was really cool. 

Her name is actually Shalash. And apparently Brandon wasn't going for Ashyn-> A Shin.

Argent

Can you confirm the real names of the Heralds for me? I have Jezrien (ˈjɛzɹən), Nale (for Nalan) - is that right?

Brandon Sanderson

Nale (neil) is what-- Nale is, yes, yes.

Argent

Chana [pronounced Shana] or Chana...

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah.

Argent

Vedel.

Brandon Sanderson

Vedel (vəˈdɛl), yeah. Chana (ˈt͡ʃænə) is also called Chanarach (ˈt͡ʃænəɹæt͡ʃ). Either one would be alright.

Argent

Okay, but her birth name...

Brandon Sanderson

Probably-- I think Chanarach is actually her birth name and Chana is the nickname.

Argent

Vedel... Pali, for Pailiah?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, I think Pali (ˈpæli) is the nickname in that case.

Argent

Okay, Ash?

Brandon Sanderson

No, that's a nickname.

Argent

What's the real one?

Brandon Sanderson

Shalash (ʃəˈlɑʃ).

Argent

That's not he just the Vorin...

Brandon Sanderson

No, that one was actually symmetrical.

Argent

Awesome. Battar (bəˈtɑɹ)?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

Kalak?

Brandon Sanderson

Kalak (kəˈlɑk), yes.

Argent

Talenel (tæləˈnɛl), with a nickname Taln (tæln)?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Argent

And Ishar (ɪˈʃɑɹ)?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Words of Radiance Chicago signing (March 22, 2014)

Yata

A little curiosity over the word "Shin", is it a deformation/twisting of their origin ? like "Ashyn person" --> "A Shyn person" ---> "A Shin person" ? (I assume this is a quite safe question to response without going into the rabbit hole)

Brandon Sanderson

Shin/Ashyn do have a relationship, but I didn't specifically intend "A Shin" to be Ashyn.

Skyward Pre-Release AMA (Oct. 23, 2018)

There is also this:

Questioner

Do the Heralds know about Aons? I am asking specifically about Shalash. Shao, Ale, Ashe. Transformation, Beauty, Illumination.

Brandon Sanderson

Let's say that some of them do and some of them don't. The question is "do the Heralds know about Aons?" How cosmere-aware are the Heralds? It depends on the Herald.

Skyward Anchorage signing (Nov. 12, 2018)

• Chaos locked this topic