Is squirehood universal?

Oltux72

At first glance  the phenomenon seems limited to the Knights Radiant.

But there is one clear case where a power was shared outside them: Sixth of the Dusk told Sak to share his power with Vathi. Was she his squire?
And what about the Queen's Guard. Those soldiers did not really act like they were under the influence of Ashertmarn. So were they Aesudan's squires with Yelig-Nar?

15 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

At first glance  the phenomenon seems limited to the Knights Radiant.

But there is one clear case where a power was shared outside them: Sixth of the Dusk told Sak to share his power with Vathi. Was she his squire?

Sak shared her power with Vathi because Aviar bonds are relatively weak compared to other bonds, and Dusk made Sak break their bond to bond with Vathi.

39 minutes ago, Karger said:

I know of no phenomena like you suggest with any of the metallic arts so I am going to say no.

They involve no bond. So let me rephrase: Is squirehood the universal consequence of a bond? Is that the reason Seons stay in the family? You inherit the bond as a squire?

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

They involve no bond. So let me rephrase: Is squirehood the universal consequence of a bond? Is that the reason Seons stay in the family? You inherit the bond as a squire?

Seons are passed and that can be to anyone.  However they tend to stay in families the same reason that property does.

I imagine the concept of it is. Knights Radiant has, for example, its Windrunners who hold squires. Not necessarily "squires" but Mistborn have Allomancers. They don't necessarily feed on the Invested powers, shall we say, however are a diluted version of their higher-uppers on the hierarchy. Any other examples escape me just now but I think I understand the concept you're going for.

24 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I imagine the concept of it is. Knights Radiant has, for example, its Windrunners who hold squires. Not necessarily "squires" but Mistborn have Allomancers. They don't necessarily feed on the Invested powers, shall we say, however are a diluted version of their higher-uppers on the hierarchy. Any other examples escape me just now but I think I understand the concept you're going for.

But there are no low power Elantrians running around.

35 minutes ago, Wander89 said:

I'm kind of confused as to what you're saying here. Mistborn are Allomancers, they don't have Allomancers? They also don't have followers who are granted Allomantic powers from being followers.

Just now, RShara said:

I'm kind of confused as to what you're saying here. Mistborn are Allomancers, they don't have Allomancers? They also don't have followers who are granted Allomantic powers from being followers.

It was more along the concept that there are those who can ingest all metals and those that can only ingest 1. I realise I should have said Mistings.....

Just now, Wander89 said:

It was more along the concept that there are those who can ingest all metals and those that can only ingest 1. I realise I should have said Mistings.....

Okay, yeah there are Mistborn and Mistings. But the Mistings don't get their power because of the Mistborn, so it's really not at all similar to Squires?

Just now, RShara said:

Okay, yeah there are Mistborn and Mistings. But the Mistings don't get their power because of the Mistborn, so it's really not at all similar to Squires?

Nah, I realise that. It really was genuinely just me trying to find concept but I do know that's not the case.

2 hours ago, Wander89 said:

Nah, I realise that. It really was genuinely just me trying to find concept but I do know that's not the case.

A squire is somebody who gets powers from a bond between two other partners, which creates powers for them. As a consequence those powers require physical proximity to at least one of those original partners.
Knights Radiant (except maybe for Bondsmiths) have them. The visions Vathi got were of her death, not Dusk's death. She didn't merely see what he saw, she got the power itself. So can Voidbinders do it, too? Were the members of the Queen's Guard in Kholinar in fact squires of Aesudan and Yelig-Nar?

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

To whom? That explains that they bond people. But why stay in the family and which child do they go with?

The mechanics of passing a seon are unclear.  Seons generally stay within the family and the seon knows to start bonding someone else when their current master says so.

1 hour ago, Karger said:

The mechanics of passing a seon are unclear.  Seons generally stay within the family and the seon knows to start bonding someone else when their current master says so.

OK, so is this person a squire during that time?

5 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

OK, so is this person a squire during that time?

I don't think so.  Seons don't grant magical abilities the way spren do.  You either have a seon or you don't and they stay with you because they love you.

• Chaos locked this topic