Why are there no Spren in Shinovar

SzethIsBadAsHell

While recently looking up Spren I found out something interesting. There are no Spren in Shinovar. I have no idea why this is , hopefully someone here can lend some insight ....

However , something else has been bothering me for a long time and perhaps this fact is an answer to question I have been asking myself. During WoK Risins Baps ( forgot his name) travels to Shinovar, he trades them soulcast Metal ( the shim do not laccept Metal mined from stone. They traded chickens for this ( apparently chickens like horses are indigenous to Shinovar! That really bothered me . It made no sense! The Shin have possession of the honorblades of the elsecallers and Lightweavers ! And with those blades they could soulcast all the metals they want . So why didn’t they ? Unless the objects inside Shinovar have no spren and therefore cannot be Soulcast !also a Fabrial shouldn’t work inside Shinovar either . As we all know Fabriana contain trapped spren , so you can’t have one in a spren free zone . The spren would probably be ejected when it enters Shinovar. Thoughts 

I always understood it that spren aren't find there naturally. My best best guess is that it must be due to whatever shinovar looks like on the cognitive realm side. Maybe spren can't reach it for some reason? Could it be possible that shinovar CR is where it connects to Ashyn's CR, and something regarding the way Ashyn was destroyed makes spren not want to or makes them unable to approach it? That wouldn't prevent someone from taking a gem-bound spren there in the physical.

No evidence for any of this, just throwing ideas around.

We only see one small part of Shinovar for about five minutes from one person's PoV. I wouldn't take that to be the standard for the entire region.

Questioner

Do spren not appear in Shinovar because the highstorms don't Invest there?

Brandon Sanderson

No. And spren don't necessarily not appear.

Oathbringer London signing (Nov. 28, 2017)

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic