Nerdy ways to ask someone to a dance

Rebecca

My school’s Halloween dance is coming up, and even though I’m not the biggest fan of dances, my friends really want me to come along with them. So I’m planning on asking one of my friends who’s pretty nerdy. Especially math nerdy. So I tried looking up ideas for math-y ways to ask someone to a dance (like posters for promposals), but I couldn’t find much. So I was hoping maybe some of you guys would have ideas!

I just want something simple that I can put on a poster (look up promposal if you don’t know what I mean), maybe a fun math play on words. Really, anything you can come up with would be a big help. Do keep in mind though that we’re just friends, so nothing really romantic. :P

Alternatively, he has read SA, so something relating to that might work too, as long as the reference is pretty obvious.

Thanks in advance everyone! :D

There is always the cryptography route there is a basic A is 1 B is 2 method. the Ceaser cipher and Polybius square are all good yet simple number based ciphers. But that's all a bit simple, you probably want something crazy awesome. I would suggest using this to convert letters into graphs, I figure it would be pretty cool to string them all together into a massive systems equation whiten is set-builder notation or something. If you want some help I'd be more than happy to oblige :D

They don't call me a mathematician for hire for nothing.

@Rebecca you have several possible options to choose from, but if I may ask, does it have to be a poster? Because if you are interested in something a little more hands on, and which might possibly be a little too romantic - but you will have to decide on that - you could try this: 

It is very mathematical, and requires great care or you will be in a completely different boat.

Alternatively, as you said he has read Stormlight Archive - ask him if he will be the Kaladin to your Syl, or if he is willing to Invest some time you might be able to take everyone's Breath away (assuming he's read Warbreaker), and if he has read Mistborn - mainly era two - ask him if he is also feeling the Connection between you to, or he must be tapping Chromium because if he says yes he is a really lucky guy. It all depends on how romantic you do or don't feel is appropriate.

Of course, if you mainly want to go with both maths and a poster, you could always say you don't want your relationship to become Complex, but if he goes out with you - for Real - you can always enjoy a slice of Pi afterwards, so long as you don't get into an Irrational Argument about which pie to get. And going with a fellow nerd will be Exponentially more fun than going alone - it will be something he can put in his Log, and you will certainly find the day to be better than anything Imaginary.

The choice is yours :-)

15 hours ago, The Forgetful Archivist said:

I would suggest using this to convert letters into graphs, I figure it would be pretty cool to string them all together into a massive systems equation whiten is set-builder notation or something. If you want some help I'd be more than happy to oblige :D

They don't call me a mathematician for hire for nothing.

That would actually be really cool! I may just have to go with this one. I’ll let you know if I need some help, thanks for the offer. :)

9 hours ago, Ixthos said:

@Rebecca you have several possible options to choose from, but if I may ask, does it have to be a poster? Because if you are interested in something a little more hands on, and which might possibly be a little too romantic - but you will have to decide on that - you could try this

No, it doesn’t have to be a poster, I just figured that would be the easiest option.

While I do think that may be a bit too romantic, the video was actually really awesome, and I may end up using that some other time!

It is very mathematical, and requires great care or you will be in a completely different boat.

Haha. I see what you did there. ;):P

ask him if he will be the Kaladin to your Syl

That would actually be pretty cute too. And no, unfortunately he hasn’t read anything else in the Cosmere. -_- I tried to get him to read Mistborn, but he never finished the first book.

8 hours ago, TheBlueTaco said:

I like "will you be my" holding up a d8,"to the dance"

That’s actually hilarious. I love this. :lol:

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!