Should I read the Rithmatist?

Karger

It’s my favorite of the non-Cosmere books. It is self contained, although there’s a clear set up for a sequel, which has been long delayed. 

I really like the premise - it’s basically Harry Potter, except the protagonist doesn’t have magic. 

The magic system is fascinating. After reading, I immediately started thinking about how amazing it would be as a video game. It’s simplistic enough that it could actually be realistically implemented (vs Mistborn or Stormlight), but would also be a ton of fun. 

The other thing that sets it apart from most of Brandon’s other books is that it’s truly a Young Adult book. And I don’t mean that in the negative way that most people use the term YA. The book only has a single protagonist and is only told from his POV. It’s focused on one person at one school. You don’t have to learn about 10 different nationalities and cultures and politics. I love the complexity and epicness of Stormlight, but sometimes you just want a single, normal-sized book. 

But really, what do you need to know except that it’s a Brandon Sanderson book?