Are Highstorms Perpendicularities

LopentheHerdazian

We know that highstorm are a perpendicularity as a perpendicularity is any instance that allows for the travel of matter, energy or investiture between realms. So the Highstorms must be a perpendicularity but we only know that it allows for travel downward from the physical realm.

So my question is do you think that there is any way for things namely people to travel between realms using a highstorm.

The Highstorm predates the arrival of all three shards (and the shattering of Adonalsium for that matter) so it has almost certainly existed without a perpendicularity attached to it.  That is to say they are distinct things, but in the era we've seen of Roshar there has been a perpendicularity (Honor's) that "rides the storm".  But it is an important disctingction, I think, because the Stormfather arguably IS the Highstorm, but is very much not the Perpendicularity and is not himself Invested enough to create his own (at least not by the natural shardpool-style method, but who knows with Elsecalling).

6 minutes ago, Quantus said:

The Highstorm predates the arrival of all three shards (and the shattering of Adonalsium for that matter) so it has almost certainly existed without a perpendicularity attached to it

Or Adonalsium added investiture prior to his shattering and built the perpendicularity into the highstorm.  This is of course assuming that Honor's perpendicularity is the highstorm(which is still a little up in the air).

I personally think that using the highstrom to transfer might be a great idea if it is possible.  Some funny business is going on.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

Or Adonalsium added investiture prior to his shattering and built the perpendicularity into the highstorm.  This is of course assuming that Honor's perpendicularity is the highstorm(which is still a little up in the air).

I personally think that using the highstrom to transfer might be a great idea if it is possible.  Some funny business is going on.

For the purposes of this thread I dont think we should assume that, since that is precisely the question the OP is asking 

19 hours ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

We know that highstorm are a perpendicularity as a perpendicularity is any instance that allows for the travel of matter, energy or investiture between realms. So the Highstorms must be a perpendicularity but we only know that it allows for travel downward from the physical realm.

So my question is do you think that there is any way for things namely people to travel between realms using a highstorm.

I think it would be dangerous even if it were possible because 

a. it is very unstable and we know that such perpendicularities are avoided by worldhoppers as a rule specially when a much more stable one is available

b. when you enter PR through it, you will literally enter a highstorm that will rip you to pieces. So only windrunners or skybreakers would be able to use it safely.

Also, i wonder, if honor's perpendicularity is unstable and manifests during highstorm now because tanavast is dead and largest chunks of honor have merged into stormfather. 

It is mentioned that Urithiru was built in a place closest to honor and the valley is quite close to Urithiru. So i wonder if originally his perpendicularity was located in the Valley. Upon his death, cultivation has taken residence over the Valley in the memory of tanavast? After all, her perpendicularity is in the peaks? why is she based in the valley?

30 minutes ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

I think that passage just meant that it was closest to the sky which was were they imagined honor was.

But there might be more to it. After all why is valley so important to cultivation. Why not protect her perpendicularity?

• Chaos locked this topic