Alleycity Thread

Ark1002

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln let her gaze rest back on Temeria's face. She wanted to change the subject, to forestall further argument. "Are you hungry?" She asked, using the first diversion that came to mind.

Temeria sighed, but let the topic slide. Twilight was approaching, she could always do this after her sister returned home. "I am." She agreed and plucked some coins out of her pocket. "I don't have the local currency yet, but according to Mac it doesn't really matter and most currencies are accepted."

"What do you think about fetching something to eat and then you return to your guild, I return to the boarding house and -" then we walk different paths, because I have no idea what to talk about. She finished the sentence silently, then chided herself for the thought. "I could come by for lunch tomorrow, if you are interested?" She offered instead, hoped that Aln would agree. She was to only one she knew, and despite her annoyingly careful attitude, Temeria needed someone to follow, to listen to. Aln was her sister and she was still here. She was taking time for her. To let her go that easily again after all this time. No. She couldn't do that. She had to try to build a relationship, something, anything that might work. And if they only met once a week for dinner. There had to be a way.

=============

Sounds great! My plan was to have her step into an Alley and ask for a friend of Mac's. Because she obviously doesn't know anybody.

@kenod

Edited by Sorana

The spren spun around the dancing sticks with delight, the other children had joined in, some trying to poke at it with sticks, others who were unarmed tried to catch it with bare hands but the spren nimbly stepped between their splayed fingers, and defended itself against the oncoming sticks. The game heated up as some of the children got into a competitive streak, each trying to catch the spren first.

Crackling with merriment the spren led them around the large square, dodging out of the way of the bigger people who were walking around, weaving through the seats and decorations that had been set up. It ran along the ground, dodging the feet of the children scampering after it and then zipped back into the air, just out of reach. It saw a number of faces smiling up at it, still reaching and trying to jump up to touch it. The spren crackled again, letting them know that it had also enjoyed their game. But it still had something to do, something urgent. Remembering to do things was easier than remembering why it had to do them, or what they meant. But it knew that remembering would be easier after it had done... whatever it was supposed to do.

So it gave the children a wave with its stick, watching them stand around talking for a few more moments before they realized that it wasn't coming back down and began running back to the corner where it had first seen them. The spren watched happily before turning to look over the rest of the square. Its body flared brighter as it tried to remember what exactly it was supposed to do, it really wanted to go to that big tree and see what it looked like when it was burning, but just before its frustration mounted high enough to cause such an inferno it spotted two figures nearby.

One of the figures was familiar, they had been with the man with the interesting hat. But the other the spren didn't remember seeing, though that was normal given how hard remembering was right now. Maybe it was the man with the hat and the spren had forgotten what they looked like? But they didn't have the hat on any more. Had the spren burned it?

Curious, it darted forwards, turning into a ribbon of light once more before seeming to vanish altogether in a sudden burst of speed. Stopping beneath the feet of the two figures, the spren noticed with some surprise that it was no longer visible. It had forgotten that it could do that, or possibly only just learned how to do it. Amused, it wove between their feet, swirling around in invisible figure eights.

On 11/3/2019 at 2:17 AM, Sorana said:

Temeria sighed, but let the topic slide. Twilight was approaching, she could always do this after her sister returned home. "I am." She agreed and plucked some coins out of her pocket. "I don't have the local currency yet, but according to Mac it doesn't really matter and most currencies are accepted."

"What do you think about fetching something to eat and then you return to your guild, I return to the boarding house and -" then we walk different paths, because I have no idea what to talk about. She finished the sentence silently, then chided herself for the thought. "I could come by for lunch tomorrow, if you are interested?" She offered instead, hoped that Aln would agree. She was to only one she knew, and despite her annoyingly careful attitude, Temeria needed someone to follow, to listen to. Aln was her sister and she was still here. She was taking time for her. To let her go that easily again after all this time. No. She couldn't do that. She had to try to build a relationship, something, anything that might work. And if they only met once a week for dinner. There had to be a way.

=============

@kenod

Yes, this she could handle. Food, and then some time apart to process her own emotions. "Lunch works for me," she responded, then began walking again. "There are some restaurants ahead. What would you like to eat?" A fly buzzed by, and she flinched away, then tried to cover the motion by adjusting the strap of her satchel. 

9 minutes ago, Rushu42 said:

Yes, this she could handle. Food, and then some time apart to process her own emotions. "Lunch works for me," she responded, then began walking again. "There are some restaurants ahead. What would you like to eat?" A fly buzzed by, and she flinched away, then tried to cover the motion by adjusting the strap of her satchel. 

Temeria observed the spren playing while they walked away, enjoyed the sight. She felt a pang of disappointment when it suddenly vanished, but as it didn't appear again after a while, she looked away from the little place and down the road Aln had indicated. If she kept her eyes open, she might discover another one. The thought made her smile, in Roshar she had ignored spren just like everybody else, here they suddenly were something familiar, something she looked forward to discover. The signle fact that they existed made this world a lot friendlier than Nalthis.

She tried to see the restaurants her sister had mentioned, but could only see some lit signs, most of them in a skript she couldn't read. One of them showed a bread, so it was maybe a bakery of some sorts and another one had a little bowl with some colourful contents. She wasn't really sure which food that was supposed to indicate, but it was a new world and she didn't expect to understand everything immediatly.

"I haven't eaten Rosharan food for years." She replied after she considered the question itself. It would be nice to eat it again, she had missed some of her favourite dishes and hadn't been able to find the fitting incredients or spices to cook them.  Looking at Aln she suddenly feared that her sister didn't want to eat something from Roshar. She hadn't returned home, so maybe she'd cut all ties and didn't want to go back or remember. "But we can eat something else as well. I have no real idea what you can eat here, so picking one is difficult for me." She amended her choice and gave a weak laugh in an attempt to gloss over her mistake.

Edited by Sorana

2 hours ago, Sorana said:

Temeria observed the spren playing while they walked away, enjoyed the sight. She felt a pang of disappointment when it suddenly vanished, but as it didn't appear again after a while, she looked away from the little place and down the road Aln had indicated. If she kept her eyes open, she might discover another one. The thought made her smile, in Roshar she had ignored spren just like everybody else, here they suddenly were something familiar, something she looked forward to discover. The signle fact that they existed made this world a lot friendlier than Nalthis.

She tried to see the restaurants her sister had mentioned, but could only see some lit signs, most of them in a skript she couldn't read. One of them showed a bread, so it was maybe a bakery of some sorts and another one had a little bowl with some colourful contents. She wasn't really sure which food that was supposed to indicate, but it was a new world and she didn't expect to understand everything immediatly.

"I haven't eaten Rosharan food for years." She replied after she considered the question itself. It would be nice to eat it again, she had missed some of her favourite dishes and hadn't been able to find the fitting incredients or spices to cook them.  Looking at Aln she suddenly feared that her sister didn't want to eat something from Roshar. She hadn't returned home, so maybe she'd cut all ties and didn't want to go back or remember. "But we can eat something else as well. I have no real idea what you can eat here, so picking one is difficult for me." She amended her choice and gave a weak laugh in an attempt to gloss over her mistake.

"We can eat Rosharan food," Aln replied. "Although-" she hesitated. "I've developed a taste for spicy food. Would you mind terribly if I ate a men's dish?" Glancing at Temeria's bare safehand, she didn't think it would be a problem. Still, her sister was so strange now. It's better to be safe than sorry, she thought, using an expression from Earth that she was rather fond of.

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"We can eat Rosharan food," Aln replied. "Although-" she hesitated. "I've developed a taste for spicy food. Would you mind terribly if I ate a men's dish?" Glancing at Temeria's bare safehand, she didn't think it would be a problem. Still, her sister was so strange now. It's better to be safe than sorry, she thought, using an expression from Earth that she was rather fond of.

"No." Temeria shook her head and then leaned over. "Honestly I suspect, that it will taste bland in comparison to what I've eaten during the last years. I just want to give it a try."

She continued to walk along the street and then smiled at her sister. "I want to see, if I still like it, if something is left?" She added as some kind of explanation. The food was something she had here, something she could try easily. She had changed so much, she wanted to see if she had lost the one thing she had loved at home. She had missed the food, sometimes the spices were too much, so strong that they covered the food itself. It was a try, nothing more.

7 hours ago, Sorana said:

"No." Temeria shook her head and then leaned over. "Honestly I suspect, that it will taste bland in comparison to what I've eaten during the last years. I just want to give it a try."

She continued to walk along the street and then smiled at her sister. "I want to see, if I still like it, if something is left?" She added as some kind of explanation. The food was something she had here, something she could try easily. She had changed so much, she wanted to see if she had lost the one thing she had loved at home. She had missed the food, sometimes the spices were too much, so strong that they covered the food itself. It was a try, nothing more.

Aln nodded. She knew the feeling. She had spent so much of her life running from home; it had taken her a while to acknowledge that she missed it. Maybe I'll go back, one of these days.

Aln looked at her sister. Their differences were so obvious; it was difficult to see past them to the similarities. And yet, they were there. She recognized the look in Temeria's eyes, that combination of nervousness and wonder. Or perhaps she was just projecting. Regardless, they were united in the simple fact of being so far from their shared home. Maybe that was enough.                                                                                                                                   "The first other world I ever visited was Scadrial. It was after the Lord Ruler - Era 2, some call it - and I remember being blown away by the differences in cuisine. It wasn't even that it was that much more flavorful, on average. There was just so much variety."

What had made her share that? Did Temeria care about her opinions on food from a world she'd never visited? Conversation, Aln, reminded her spren, a touch of humor to the thought.  Right. Conversation. 

She slowed as they reached the nearest Rosharan restaurant, and pulled open the door. She very rarely ate out, but she knew the customs well enough. "A table for two, please," she directed at the uniformed man at the door, despite clearly seeing for herself several empty seats. She couldn't help noting that the man was darkeyed, while the woman on the telephone in the back was lighteyed. They carry their traditions along with their recipes, she thought. 

6 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

She slowed as they reached the nearest Rosharan restaurant, and pulled open the door. She very rarely ate out, but she knew the customs well enough. "A table for two, please," she directed at the uniformed man at the door, despite clearly seeing for herself several empty seats. She couldn't help noting that the man was darkeyed, while the woman on the telephone in the back was lighteyed. They carry their traditions along with their recipes, she thought. 

The man led them to a table for two and Temeria unbuckled her sword, leaned it against the wall next to her seat. She made sure that no thief could easily run off with it, but that it was withing easy reach of her hand. You never knew. She removed her coat and then her gloves, both of them to the shock of the man. He stared at her bares hand, then blushed deeply and stifly walked away to fetch two menus. It had been unneccessary, and she knew it. It wouldn't have hurt to continue wearing the glove, but at the same time it had irked her to shock him, to point out, that she didn't belong to this culture anymore.

He returned shortly afterwards carrying three menus. Twice for women's food and one, which he pointedly placed on the table in front of Temeria as well. The colour was different and she didn't need to read the inscription to know that it was the menu for men. "Thank you." She replied politely, maybe a tad too polite and he left, gave them the time to pick out some food.

On 11/5/2019 at 2:01 AM, Sorana said:

The man led them to a table for two and Temeria unbuckled her sword, leaned it against the wall next to her seat. She made sure that no thief could easily run off with it, but that it was withing easy reach of her hand. You never knew. She removed her coat and then her gloves, both of them to the shock of the man. He stared at her bares hand, then blushed deeply and stifly walked away to fetch two menus. It had been unneccessary, and she knew it. It wouldn't have hurt to continue wearing the glove, but at the same time it had irked her to shock him, to point out, that she didn't belong to this culture anymore.

He returned shortly afterwards carrying three menus. Twice for women's food and one, which he pointedly placed on the table in front of Temeria as well. The colour was different and she didn't need to read the inscription to know that it was the menu for men. "Thank you." She replied politely, maybe a tad too polite and he left, gave them the time to pick out some food.

Aln watched the man's reaction to Temeria. Interesting, that. He lived in a place where the vast majority of women openly displayed their left hands, and yet he retained his extreme aversion. Was he new, or simply deeply ingrained in his ways? She picked up the men's menu, noting the pictures and glyphs that accompanied each item. After making her selection, she carefully placed the booklet back in the center of the table and looked around. It was the hour when most Alleycity residents would be eating dinner, and the room was quite full. Floating letters and words crowded her vision, nonsensical when taken out of context. She banished the sight to her peripheries, focusing instead on the woman sitting across from her.

Temeria had removed her sword, but kept it carefully within reach. It was a practiced move, one that she clearly didn't think much of, but Aln's eyes were drawn to the weapon. She didn't know why the fact of her sister being a soldier bothered her so much. She had seen plenty of fighting, and she knew that it was often a necessity. Trent had been a soldier, too, if only for a little while. Still, the image of the ten-year-old that Temeria had been remained with her. She had been so full of wonder, then, and so endearingly sincere. In her place was left this nervous woman with grim eyes and a scarred face. 

At a loss for words, Aln remembered that Temeria had only recently come from Nalthis. Perhaps she would be interested in seeing how Lightweaving worked. And perhaps you can't resist showing off, interjected Dai. She ignored him. 

A deep breath brought light streaming from her pockets and into her person. She wouldn't be glowing enough to attract attention, unless someone was specifically watching them. Even so, she kept her creation simple. Though she couldn't see them, she knew that small, black letters had appeared, floating about her head. They were identical to those that Aln saw every day, and read, Hi, Temeria. Do you want to see some of the magic I can do?

12 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

A deep breath brought light streaming from her pockets and into her person. She wouldn't be glowing enough to attract attention, unless someone was specifically watching them. Even so, she kept her creation simple. Though she couldn't see them, she knew that small, black letters had appeared, floating about her head. They were identical to those that Aln saw every day, and read, Hi, Temeria. Do you want to see some of the magic I can do?

Temeria noticed Aln's eyes resting on her sword and she hesitated, then reached out for it. It was a good weapon, made of high quality steel and she kept the edge honed and sharp. You didn't neccessarily cut with a sword, usually you stabbed or when you slashed you relied the weight to result in injuries. That a shard edge didn't hurt was another fact. She was about to hand it over to Aln to take a look at, but when she turned she saw words floating over Aln's head.

Did she want to see some of the magic? What a question. She nodded, intrigued by the sight. Aln's powers. She placed the sword down again, slightly relieved that there was no need to give it to someone else and leaned back in her stool. "Of course." She replied loudly, glad that Aln had chosen a script she could read. Magic. She felt like a girl again, about to see a beautiful play or getting ready to listen to a fairy tale. The stories about Radiants had always fascinated her, and while she had listened to them as often as possible, it had been so long ago and it had been stories. She had never expected to meet one of the ten orders, lest alone eat dinner with them. Not mentioning that it was her sister. Her stiff and scholarly sister was a Radiant.

The two images didn't really fit together, she had thought of them as mysterious figures, strong fighters, but instead, her sister. "Show me." She continued to smile, excited to learn more about it.

If Temeria can't read it, I'm sorry. I can edit in that case.

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

If Temeria can't read it, I'm sorry. I can edit in that case.

Aln would have chosen Rosharan women's script, so that's fine.

Aln tensed as Temeria reached for her sword. What did she need it for? Had something happened? Her eyes darted around the room, but she could find no source of trouble. When she looked back at her sister, the woman's eyes were instead fixed on Aln's Lightweaving. Her face was completely transformed. It was an excited expression, tinged with awe, and accented by a wide smile. Her eyes were suddenly those of Aln's sister. 

Aln couldn't help but smile too. She inhaled more Stormlight and, after a moment's thought, crafted it into a glowing image of the Rosharan globe, hanging between them. It took more effort than usual, and she could feel the Stormlight escaping at a greater rate. She had spent a weekend a few months ago teaching herself to create these three-dimensional maps in painstaking detail, and now found the process soothing. It took her a few minutes, longer than usual- she tried to suppress her anxiety about this fact. When she was done, she noticed several people staring, and she suddenly realized how conspicuous they were.

She tried to lower her voice a bit, and said "This is the surge of Illumination, also known as Lightweaving. I use it to create illusions like this one, and I'm told it can also replicate sounds." 

She examined her sister's face carefully, trying to read her reaction. Was she disappointed? Impressed? Delighted? 

On 7.11.2019 at 9:12 PM, Rushu42 said:

She tried to lower her voice a bit, and said "This is the surge of Illumination, also known as Lightweaving. I use it to create illusions like this one, and I'm told it can also replicate sounds." 

She examined her sister's face carefully, trying to read her reaction. Was she disappointed? Impressed? Delighted? 

Fascinated Temeria reahed out for the glowing map in front of her. She had seen a few maps before, but it had been back on Roshar, and she tried to gauge where she was, which world the map was showing. She felt stupid, incredibly stupid when she realized that she couldn't, that she had no idea at all. The world was round and it glowed softly from the stormlight her sister had used.

"Impressive." She replied without really looking away from it. "I've never seen something like this before." Wonder made her voice soft and her eyes lit up whlie she studied the glowing world in front of her. It reminded her of a fairy tale, a world where heros strived and villains fought and, there the ocean, maybe some pirates would live there, hiding , waiting for ships they could ransom. "Can you move it?" She asked fascinated and only looked away when the man approached their table again, respectfully nearly bowing in front of Aln. He asked if they had chosen, but even she could see that it was only an excuse to come over and look at the glowing wonder her sister had created.

Temeria ordered dish number seven of the woman's menu only because she liked the number and she didn't want to start reading the menu now, when the waiter was already here and waiting.

On 11/10/2019 at 10:33 AM, Sorana said:

Fascinated Temeria reahed out for the glowing map in front of her. She had seen a few maps before, but it had been back on Roshar, and she tried to gauge where she was, which world the map was showing. She felt stupid, incredibly stupid when she realized that she couldn't, that she had no idea at all. The world was round and it glowed softly from the stormlight her sister had used.

"Impressive." She replied without really looking away from it. "I've never seen something like this before." Wonder made her voice soft and her eyes lit up whlie she studied the glowing world in front of her. It reminded her of a fairy tale, a world where heros strived and villains fought and, there the ocean, maybe some pirates would live there, hiding , waiting for ships they could ransom. "Can you move it?" She asked fascinated and only looked away when the man approached their table again, respectfully nearly bowing in front of Aln. He asked if they had chosen, but even she could see that it was only an excuse to come over and look at the glowing wonder her sister had created.

Temeria ordered dish number seven of the woman's menu only because she liked the number and she didn't want to start reading the menu now, when the waiter was already here and waiting.

Sorry for the wait; I haven't had much time recently, and this deserved a proper response.

In response to Temeria's question, Aln moved the illusion closer to her sister, leaving it floating above her plate. She nearly began to elaborate, but cut off as the waiter approached the table, eyes wide. She reflexively banished the Lightweaving, but the damage was done; the entire restaurant had likely seen it. Their server bowed - significantly more respectfully than he had last time, she noticed - then inquired of their orders. Temeria answered quickly, although she hadn't looked at the menu once.

"And for you, Brightness Radiant?" He asked, eyes darting to where the globe had been. She caught the flicker of discontent in his eyes when she ordered a men's dish; clearly he disliked the contradiction between her status as a "holy" figure of legend and her open defiance of Rosharan religious custom. She wondered what it must have been like for him to enter the Alleyverse and suddenly walk among gods. What was his story?

She suddenly felt embarrassed about her eagerness to flaunt her powers. It was a frivolous waste of Stormlight, and only drew attention. Glancing at a neighboring table, she spotted her own name drifting amidst the conversation. It made her uncomfortable that people knew who she was, but it was largely inevitable; you don't get to be the leader of a guild, even a small one, without gaining some degree of infamy. She sighed, turning back to Temeria. 

"I've talked enough about myself. What about you? You were a soldier on Idris for a while, I know, but it's been 10 years. What was it like?"

11 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"I've talked enough about myself. What about you? You were a soldier on Idris for a while, I know, but it's been 10 years. What was it like?"

"I don't really know." Temeria shrugged. "I lived at our parent's house for another five years or so, I have to admit I lost track due to the travelling."

She paused, wondered what she should talk about. "One day, I was late, had spend too much time at the market and I knew that our mother was receiving guests. So I hurried home, used a shortcut." Laughing a little she shook her head. "It sounds like a story out of a book, the mean shortcut- but fact is, I ran into a robber of some sort. He wanted to have the money, but I'd spend most of it, he though I was a rich brat, which I kind of was, but the cloths mother made me wear didn't help."

Gratefully she nodded at the waiter when he placed her drink on the table and waited until he was gone before going on.

"In short, I killed him. And then I was too afraid to go home again, so I just strolled through the city. There was a cart and I approached it, crawled onto it to steal some cloths to change into, to get rid of my bloodstained ones." A part of her wondered how she could keep that calm and relaxed while telling the tale. It sounded strange, as if it was the story of a stranger.

"Before I could hop off again they started to move and then I was too scared to jump and then I ended up on Nalthis. Without any money, and without speaking the language. Wasn't the best time in my life."

On 11/15/2019 at 2:48 AM, Sorana said:

"I don't really know." Temeria shrugged. "I lived at our parent's house for another five years or so, I have to admit I lost track due to the travelling."

She paused, wondered what she should talk about. "One day, I was late, had spend too much time at the market and I knew that our mother was receiving guests. So I hurried home, used a shortcut." Laughing a little she shook her head. "It sounds like a story out of a book, the mean shortcut- but fact is, I ran into a robber of some sort. He wanted to have the money, but I'd spend most of it, he though I was a rich brat, which I kind of was, but the cloths mother made me wear didn't help."

Gratefully she nodded at the waiter when he placed her drink on the table and waited until he was gone before going on.

"In short, I killed him. And then I was too afraid to go home again, so I just strolled through the city. There was a cart and I approached it, crawled onto it to steal some cloths to change into, to get rid of my bloodstained ones." A part of her wondered how she could keep that calm and relaxed while telling the tale. It sounded strange, as if it was the story of a stranger.

"Before I could hop off again they started to move and then I was too scared to jump and then I ended up on Nalthis. Without any money, and without speaking the language. Wasn't the best time in my life."

Aln tried to hide her shock. How could her sister speak so casually of murder? Perhaps she was missing something in Temeria's tone. But the woman had been what, 16? Aln clenched her hands in her pockets to keep them from shaking.

"So how did you manage on Nalthis?" She said, focusing instead on the latter part of the story. The was nearly too distracted to wonder about the worldhopping cart. Who would that have been?

5 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln tried to hide her shock. How could her sister speak so casually of murder? Perhaps she was missing something in Temeria's tone. But the woman had been what, 16? Aln clenched her hands in her pockets to keep them from shaking.

"So how did you manage on Nalthis?" She said, focusing instead on the latter part of the story. The was nearly too distracted to wonder about the worldhopping cart. Who would that have been?

Temeria took a sip of her drink and ran her finger along the glass for a while. "Well, at first everybody noticed that I was a foreigner, but the traders that accidently carried me over, they proved to be nice. Taught me enough of the language during the days they stayed on Nalthis so that I could survive there." She made a gesture to indicate some time passing. "I basically knew nothing of the world, of the people, but I told everybody, I'd come from a country far away, so they weren't surprised by my missing knowledge.

The waiter placed their food in front of them and she thanked him, took a first bite. It tasted bland, but at the same time good. The vegetables tasted like vegetables without any spices obscuring their taste. Smiling Temeria nodded to herself.

"You can imagine, that it was difficult for a young woman to earn money, so I disguised myself as a boy and entered the army. I had a bed there, some food and again, I was lucky. Most of the other soldiers learned rather soon, but they covered me, protected me. No easy time, but I managed to survive and even got out of it without being crippled."

She took another bite, smiled in delight at the food. "I need to remember this place. The food is good."

On 11/20/2019 at 4:34 AM, Sorana said:

She took another bite, smiled in delight at the food. "I need to remember this place. The food is good."

Aln nodded distractedly. "Indeed it is." Her own meal lay untouched upon the table. "Could you tell me more about these traders?" 

13 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Aln nodded distractedly. "Indeed it is." Her own meal lay untouched upon the table. "Could you tell me more about these traders?" 

Her sister wasn't eating. Temeria slowly placed her fork down, probably there was custom here, that you didn't start eating once your food arrived? Waiting for it to go cold seemed stranged, but if it was custom she would try to adapt.

"They changed their cart in Nalthis, shortly after they arrived. That's when they found me. They had a strange accent, but they seemed acustomed to traveling between the worlds. As if it was nothing special. If I understoos them correctly they have a route they follow and as soon as they arrive, they change their cloths and equipment to appear like locals." She thought for a moment. "I don't know why you ask, to be honest. I doubt the names they gave me are their real ones, but they, they are here right now. I came to the Alleyverse with them."

On 11/22/2019 at 1:49 AM, Sorana said:

Her sister wasn't eating. Temeria slowly placed her fork down, probably there was custom here, that you didn't start eating once your food arrived? Waiting for it to go cold seemed stranged, but if it was custom she would try to adapt.

"They changed their cart in Nalthis, shortly after they arrived. That's when they found me. They had a strange accent, but they seemed acustomed to traveling between the worlds. As if it was nothing special. If I understoos them correctly they have a route they follow and as soon as they arrive, they change their cloths and equipment to appear like locals." She thought for a moment. "I don't know why you ask, to be honest. I doubt the names they gave me are their real ones, but they, they are here right now. I came to the Alleyverse with them."

Aln shrugged. "I was just wondering. I like to compare notes with other worldhoppers sometimes." She looked down. Temeria had put down her fork, and for a moment they sat in silence. Remembering her own food, Aln slowly took a bite of the now lukewarm meal. Temeria was right - it was good. Bursting with flavor, it provided a nice contrast to the plain dishes she normally consumed. 

A blinking in her satchel caught her attention. It was connected to the post office- it appeared her package had come in. Putting the alert out of her mind, she looked back at Temeria. She didn't know what to say, and the other woman's gaze was oppressive. She suddenly felt a burning desire to be anywhere but here. She tried to distract herself with another bite, then gave a meager attempt at small talk. "So, what do you like to do?"

On 25.11.2019 at 5:31 PM, Rushu42 said:

Aln shrugged. "I was just wondering. I like to compare notes with other worldhoppers sometimes." She looked down. Temeria had put down her fork, and for a moment they sat in silence. Remembering her own food, Aln slowly took a bite of the now lukewarm meal. Temeria was right - it was good. Bursting with flavor, it provided a nice contrast to the plain dishes she normally consumed. 

A blinking in her satchel caught her attention. It was connected to the post office- it appeared her package had come in. Putting the alert out of her mind, she looked back at Temeria. She didn't know what to say, and the other woman's gaze was oppressive. She suddenly felt a burning desire to be anywhere but here. She tried to distract herself with another bite, then gave a meager attempt at small talk. "So, what do you like to do?"

Temeria looked down and resumed eating. Aln obviously was more interested in the other worldhopper and their attempts at small talk, with a sigh she tried to come up with a good response, that didn't sound snappy. She had spend her last years trying not to die in a war. What did Aln think that they did there? Have freetime to go drinking in some pubs. She notice herself getting irritated and closed her eyes, took a breath.

"We gambled in the evenings. I enjoyed that." She finally said and pushed her empty plate away. As good as they had seemed to get along - maybe it was enough. "What do you think about meeting tomorrow evening?" She suggested, hoped to wrap things up. Then she could go and tell Mac's friends that he was gone and then she could return to his Boarding House. Her boarding house. Yes. Given the awkwardness they had refound, it was probably better if they spend some time apart and sorted themselves first.

The spren sat on a nearby window ledge, a small circle of darkening wood beginning to spread beneath it. Listening like this wasn't something the spren usually did, but something compelled it to stay here for now. It gave a small popping sound of irritation at the compulsion, the spren hated waiting. Some kinds of waiting were okay, playing games to pass the time for example. Or slowly burning a log in a fire. But those weren't really waiting, they were doing things until other things happened.

But right now the spren had nothing to do. There were no logs to burn, no children with sticks, no fires to join with and watch. It was just sitting there, idly watching the two speaking to each other. The images-of-light had been interesting, but the spren couldn't burn light. Or at least it didn't think it could, it had tried once surely? And one of the few things the spren could remember was burning things.

I hop this goes without saying but the sprens feelings about conversation do not reflect my own so please don't take this as a criticism or anything, just want to keep the scene in my mind so I can pick up with the character when needed.

13 hours ago, Ookla the Dreamer said:

Just wanted to ask if you still have the time for this? You mentioned that you're busy irl, and I don't want to stress you. We could state that they finished their meal and I move Temeria until irl calms down for you?

That's a very considerate offer; thank you. The problem isn't really going to let up for me irl - I think it's more that I need to work the Alleyverse into my schedule more. Of course, I am being slow, and I certainly don't want to tie up your character. I think I'll just end the conversation quickly, and we can pick up in a bit. Thanks, and sorry.

Aln stared at her food, considering. She hardly wanted to let Temeria wander the city on her own - Aln wasn't sure if she had truly given up the idea of contacting the DA - but it would be so much easier. She wasn't letting her sister down if her sister wanted to leave, right? 

She was distracted from answering by a vibration in one of her coat pockets. Aln had finally sprung for a small cheap cell phone, although she still preferred spanreeds over the Alleyverse's inconsistent networks. A glance at the screen revealed a message from one John Howards, and she cursed mentally. She had scheduled a meeting with him for . . . 5 minutes ago. She stood hurriedly, picking up her bag. "I'm sorry, I just realized that I'm late for an appointment. Tomorrow evening should work - you know where to find me."

She fished in her pocket, and retrieved a few spheres for the meal, which she set down next to her plate. Then she hesitated. This was her first encounter with a family member in years, and she was dashing off partway through? After a moment's debate, she pulled out a Scholar's Guild spanpen and set it down as well. "If you need to contact me, just use this." Aln didn't have an unlimited supply, but this seemed important. She began awkwardly to leave, then turned back. "Don't do anything dangerous, okay?" 

And she was gone, the door swinging shut after her.

9 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

That's a very considerate offer; thank you. The problem isn't really going to let up for me irl - I think it's more that I need to work the Alleyverse into my schedule more. Of course, I am being slow, and I certainly don't want to tie up your character. I think I'll just end the conversation quickly, and we can pick up in a bit. Thanks, and sorry.

Just tell me, when things calmed down? I have no problem to wait, I just wanted to offer.

Temeria sighed when her sister rushed off and forced herself to finish her meal. Well, it had been expected. They hadn't talked that long even back on Roshar. To have a little distance till they would talk again - it would be good for both of them. Try to establish their relationship slowly. See if it might work.

She gave the waiter a sign and paid, using the spheres Aln had left and added a little money of her own. The food was expensive - but as she didn't know how much you usually paid for food, she didn't bat an eye and secretly grit her teeth when her meagre ressources shruck a lot. When she got to her feet she noticed the spren sitting on the windowsill and she smiled at him

"Hello little one." she looked around and picked up a candle from another table and placed it next to spren. "It's an unusual palce for you. I thought you liked to be around flames?" She observed it for a while longer, and then grabbed her sword, slung its belt around her hip. One thing after the other.

"You know, Aln told me I shouldn't do this." She pensively looked at the spren. "But I will do it anyway. My sister was always a coward. If she thinks it dangerous - I have to do it. If only to show her, that I don't need her to survive in this place." Which probably wasn't entirely true, but she would rather eat a shoe than accept this. So far it was easy. Take care of the strange carriages and expect them to be fast than you were. The rest she could sort out in time.

The spren happily jumped up to the candle's tip, balancing on the wick it spun with the flame from the candle and seemed to enjoy its reconnection with a source of flames. It spred its arms wide and closed them in around the flickering candle light, embracing it only to be surprised when the flames slipped through its grip. With a determined expression it stood back in the air and stared at the flames, preparing itself for the contest that was to come.

But seeing the person it was watching begin to leave the restaurant, the spren paused. Second-guessing itself was not something it was accustomed to, but it still felt that insistent tug, that urge to do something. Something other than playing with a candle.

Taking one last dive-tackle at the candle flames the spren gave up and followed the woman back out onto the streets.