Electricity and the Metallic Arts

Dancer

Everything in this theory revolves around the idea that Investiture, energy and matter are interchangeable within the Cosmere.   

So within era 2 of Mistborn, Scadiral is on the cusp of powering its technology with electricity (instead of using what I assume are coal powered trains). If the Northerners were to incorporate electricity into the Metallic arts then here are some fundamentals I believe could be possible. 

Hemalurgy: 

Hemalurgy works on the principle that you charge a Hemalurgic spike with Investiture by ripping out someones soul and splicing onto someone else. The spike will lose its charge the longer it is out of the body and also doesn't hold a lot of charge to begin with. How will electricity fit in this system. Well it hinges on the principle that matter and energy can be converted into Investiture. We see this with how Soul casting works. The inject investiture into an object and change the cognitive and spiritual aspect of the object into something else. My theory is doing the same thing in reverse. You pass an electric current though the Hemalurgic spike and when it hits the Investiture in the spike it changes and molds to that Investiture. Obviously intent and some other things will have to happen for the electric energy to suddenly change into Ruin's Investiture but the underlying principle should be the same. The electric energy passes through the Investiture in the spike and changes to suit that Investiture. This will a sort of Investiture hack so you can get around the whole less power then you started thing that Ruin loves so much. You could also fully fill a Hemalugic spike. What the hell would happen then?

Allomancy:

With Allomancy there are a few ideas. The fist if just that its gives a small boost when burning your metal. You hook up one of your piercings to a small battery then burn you metal. Preservation's power flows through the metal hits the electric current and converts it to extra allomantic power. The second one is that you can use the electric energy flowing through the metal to stop it from being destroyed when preservation's power flows through. The metal is just the gateway so if you could convert the the electric energy into Investiture and use that Investiture to keep the gateway open (not destroy the metal) then so long as your battery lasts you can continually use allomancy. 

Feruchemy:

This ones woks just like Hemalurgy. Pass an electric current through a charged metalmind and as the current hits the Investiture in the metalmind it will change to suit that Investiture. No more having to ruin your body to fill a metal mind. Also you could hook up other pieces of the same metal in a series circuit to fill up multiple metalminds for the price of one. This could also be done for Hemalurgic spikes. It would be more efficient then compounding because no metal is being destroyed.  

I'm interested to see what you all think about my theory. 

4 hours ago, Dancer said:

The fist if just that its gives a small boost when burning your metal. You hook up one of your piercings to a small battery then burn you metal

This ones woks just like Hemalurgy. Pass an electric current through a charged metalmind and as the current hits the Investiture in the metalmind it will change to suit that Investiture.

This sounds dangerous.

You pass an electric current though the Hemalurgic spike and when it hits the Investiture in the spike it changes and molds to that Investiture

Why should it?  If you apply heat or light to a metal nothing happens.

14 minutes ago, Dancer said:

There would have to be some other spiritual stuff involved to convert energy into Investiture to begin with

Then why not use heat or light.  It would probably be easier or safer(assuming you could get it working to begin with).

Heat my work I don't know about light. The premise of this theory is about shoving energy into the already invested metal and converting that into Investiture. It's important that it is already Invested so that the the energy that you are shoving in can be shaped in a particular way. I don't think light would work in that scenario because the light would just be reflected back. Heat would probably work. The reason I chose electricity is because it flows through the metal similar to how preservation's and Ruin's powers flow through the metal.  

2 hours ago, Dancer said:

Heat would probably work. The reason I chose electricity is because it flows through the metal similar to how preservation's and Ruin's powers flow through the metal.  

So you think getting a metal slightly warmer will increase how much investiture is in it if you can get the right intent behind it?

20 hours ago, Dancer said:

Hemalurgy can work if you shoot a bullet in the right spot so I believe it is in the realm of possibilities. 

How is that even related.  Hemalurgy works intent sure.  All magic in the Cosmere does more or less.  However unless there exists some heat metal/electrically charge metal to cause fer increased F storage magic system I don't see how that even works in theory.  Does heating gemstones with intent infuse them?  How about electric charge?

7 hours ago, Karger said:

How is that even related.  Hemalurgy works intent sure.  All magic in the Cosmere does more or less.  However unless there exists some heat metal/electrically charge metal to cause fer increased F storage magic system I don't see how that even works in theory.  Does heating gemstones with intent infuse them?  How about electric charge?

As you have stated the post was intended to highlight how the intent for something to happen can let you do just about anything in the Cosmere. You wan't to rip out someones soul well just thrust a piece of metal into them (in specific places mind you). No having to go to the SR, no ritual you just have to know that it can happen and you wan't it to happen. You are correct that as of now the is no relation between what I have theorised and the Metallic arts. This can be due to 1.) Everyone thinks the metallic arts only works in specific ways and have not experimented with converting energy into Investiture. 2.) The have tried but don't know the right trick to make it work. Just like how someone can't access someone else's metalminds. 3.) It can't work. This entire theory is speculation and is only supported by the fact energy, matter and Investiture can be converted into each other in the Cosmere. I admit it is tenuous at best.   

On 10/4/2019 at 8:56 PM, Dancer said:

It can't work. This entire theory is speculation and is only supported by the fact energy, matter and Investiture can be converted into each other in the Cosmere. I admit it is tenuous at best.   

In that case theorize away.  As long as you realize this I have no objections.  I have weirder theories by far

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic