Lord of the Rings Guild

22 minutes ago, Telrao said:

Hah

yup

I have a whole folder dedicated to LOTR memes. Here's a sample!

Reveal hidden contents

63e19c2e80c64_images(40).jpg.a45fad0af16df2a088a0ab076d620be3.jpg

63e19c7d1c143_images(3).jpg.230bc071a710821079cc5905307cc1b9.jpg

63e19cc07939c_images(20).jpg.4bf55f74f48367a73821cadfbca61085.jpg

The first one also relates to our previous conversation bwehehe

(Don't judge me please)

I love using the Gimli and Legolas end of Helm's Deep conversation for a meme template. :P

On 2/4/2023 at 11:15 PM, Telrao said:

Also, why the heck are the elves in the Harry Potter movies so weird? They go against every single stereotypical elf in existence. Why not call them gremlins? Wouldn't that make more sense???

I was confused about what you meant until I remembered Dobby. Ya. It's weird, kinda like it though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

breathes deeply

All right. This Saturday it'll be 50 years since Tolkien died. So, I wanted to use this occasion to make a proposal. Note, it's a highly theoreticall proposal, it'd probably have to get to a far larger audience of LotR fans to actually go somewhere, plus it's unlikely to be possible to do until twenty years from now. 

Great. With this disclaimer out of the way, here's my proposal: to make a real world version of the Red Book of Westmarch. Yes, I know Tolkien based the idea on the Red Book of Hergest (probably). I know there's the prop book from the film. There may even have been at some point someone crazy enough to try and make such a thing for himself. My idea is more ambitious - to possibly mass produce it.

The book will have to include all that is said to be in the Red Book, including the Hobbit, LotR with the appendices and possibly a few additions. Now, all that would be a tad impossible for one person to do. So, it'll require a publishing house agreeing to make such a leatherbound edition of LotR. It'd be better to wait twenty years for it, because otherwise it'll also require having the Tolkien Estate agree to that - which while it would be awesome, I doubt it'd happen (and yeah, I am saying that while making this ridiculous proposal, thank you for noticing!). And for that, a lot of money will be needed. Which is why I think it should be a kickstarter. Not the greatest idea, but there are a lot of LotR fans around the world. Perhaps even enough of them will be interested in such a thing (though quite possibly not). It will probably cost a lot for a copy, so maybe here can be some lower rewards. Since the current plan is not to go with the Tolkien Estate (after the copyrights are over) the possibilities for such rewards will be limited, but I'm sure it's possible to come up with something. There could also be stretch goals for other cool stuff, like different variations of the Red Book, and some other stuff.

Again, I'm fully aware it's impractical. I'll probably abandon it before twenty years will pass, but right now I really like the idea. So, what do you think? How crazy that is? (Also, no one pull the red eddition of LotR against me. I have it myself, and while I keep calling it the Red Book, it's not really it.)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2023 at 6:06 PM, PianoSavant said:

I know this is like 2 months late and I haven't actually posted anything on this thread yet (I still can't believe I didn't know this existed *facepalms*) but that sounds so awesome! If you do eventually end up making it I will totally buy one!

ditto

Well, that makes three people.

To be fair, it's probably not the right place to put it - by which I mean, I should find a place dedicated to LotR fans and ask people there. The thing is, this is just an idea right now - and it needs many, many people to come even close to being a reality, including a couple to actually take care of organising the material we want to publish, to find a good place to produce this edition, to figure out and produce other rewards...

I think my problem is that I actually try to think about it practically. And it's nice to know I'll have at least some passive supporters. But for this to become a reality, it's going to take more than that. I am a tad hesitant to ask for you to help, which is why I was very careful not to write "we" in my proposal - I need to know someone is interested enough to help before implying they're a part of it. Also, if you know Tolkien fans that you think might be interested - it'll be great if you can spread the word. About this completely theoretical and probably impractical idea.

Anyway, thank you.

18 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

Well, that makes three people.

To be fair, it's probably not the right place to put it - by which I mean, I should find a place dedicated to LotR fans and ask people there. The thing is, this is just an idea right now - and it needs many, many people to come even close to being a reality, including a couple to actually take care of organising the material we want to publish, to find a good place to produce this edition, to figure out and produce other rewards...

I think my problem is that I actually try to think about it practically. And it's nice to know I'll have at least some passive supporters. But for this to become a reality, it's going to take more than that. I am a tad hesitant to ask for you to help, which is why I was very careful not to write "we" in my proposal - I need to know someone is interested enough to help before implying they're a part of it. Also, if you know Tolkien fans that you think might be interested - it'll be great if you can spread the word. About this completely theoretical and probably impractical idea.

Anyway, thank you.

yeah. I am not in a position to actually contribute imagination, but if you set up a kickstarter or something I will give $