Lord of the Rings Guild

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/13/2022 at 8:14 AM, SymphonianBookworm said:

I am joining this. I have read/watched practically everything. Tolkien in the best*. No one can convince me otherwise. 

*not including Brandon Sanderson

SAME.

(Actually I like Tolkien even better than Sanderson, but Sanderson is my favorite living author.)

7 hours ago, fuzzyairplant said:

SAME.

(Actually I like Tolkien even better than Sanderson, but Sanderson is my favorite living author.)

I once had a teacher who didn’t like Tolkien. 

I made meme after meme (In a somewhat threatening manner, if I’m being honest) stating that he should like LOTR.

On 20.7.2022 at 8:51 PM, Coolmint said:

Fell in love with the books as a kid.  Mixed feelings about the films.  Am I in? 

I'd have endorsed you, but I wasn't approved yet myself as a LotR fan here. I watched the movies a long time ago, and plan to maybe rewatch them someday, but not liking the films is fine, I should think.

Everybody should read LotR. But sadly, pushing them to do so tends to make them less willing.

I like Tom Bombadil, but he broke my cousin. He never finished LotR due to him - well, partially. My sister survived him, but couldn't bring herself to get to Rivendel. For some, LotR is too long and tedious. Doesn't make it any less good, though.

1 hour ago, SymphonianBookworm said:

I still find it incredible Aragorn (because I will never call the actors by their real names) actually learned how to use a sword...

I read somewhere that his instructor said he was one of the most talented swordsmen he'd ever trained!

He also had a lot of practical input into his Ranger costume (like making sure he had a small bow so he could hunt while traveling in the wild), and he did a lot of the repairs himself so it would look more authentic.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Rings of Power sucked! Rocks sink because they're looking down. But paper boats float because they look up. Maaaan-Shut up! *slap*

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad if it wasn't supposed to be LotR canon. Let's just pretend it doesn't exist.

AAAAnyway. I'm only a tiny bit into the third LotR book, and I kind of got stuck. It just got a little boring. I took a break to listen to Jurassic Park and some others.

6 hours ago, Gregorio said:

Rings of Power sucked! Rocks sink because they're looking down. But paper boats float because they look up. Maaaan-Shut up! *slap*

I didn't like RoP, but I am ready to protect this prospect. You see, in ancient greece, they didn't believe in gravity the way we think it works. They thought that things made mostly of the elements earth and water are going down,to their sources, while fire and air went up for the sane reason - their origin was in the sky. In this way, a rock does "look down", as it's fully made of earth; but a paper ship has enough air in it that it can look up - thus, float.

Completely and utterly wrong - yes. Still has some meaning behind it, though.

By third book, I assume you mean the Return of the King. If so, I'm kind of surprised: you survived all the travel in the first book, only to stop because... Well, what did you find boring there? Honest question.

15 hours ago, Trutharchivist said:

I didn't like RoP, but I am ready to protect this prospect. You see, in ancient greece, they didn't believe in gravity the way we think it works. They thought that things made mostly of the elements earth and water are going down,to their sources, while fire and air went up for the sane reason - their origin was in the sky. In this way, a rock does "look down", as it's fully made of earth; but a paper ship has enough air in it that it can look up - thus, float.

Completely and utterly wrong - yes. Still has some meaning behind it, though.

By third book, I assume you mean the Return of the King. If so, I'm kind of surprised: you survived all the travel in the first book, only to stop because... Well, what did you find boring there? Honest question.

Lol ya. OK. It was just a dumb attempt at a quote, but whatever. I'm going to forget RoP ever happened.

I love Lord of the Rings. I just can't take the time right now to intensely try to imagine all the descriptions Tolkien put in there. To clarify I'm not stopping forever. I just slowed down a ton and started listening to other books and such.