Twinborn Names

Argent

Like a proper fanboy of Brandon, I would like to contribute a little bit to the ongoing effort to decipher the secrets of the Cosmere. And I think I will make my contribution with The Alloy of Law (mostly because you guys have talked about the rest far too much for me to come up with something new). With the introduction of the concept of a Twinborn and reveal of some new metals, I thought to make a document of some sort in order to present the (256?) different Twinborn variations. Obviously this will take a while, and we may not even learn about all of them, but I think it's an endeavor worth spending some time on.

This being said, I am working on the outline/layout right now. My original idea was to do a table, 16x16, with the Allomantic metals on one side and the Feruchemical ones on the other. Then the corresponding table entries would be the whatever-I-decide-to-include. This seems clumsy to me now though. I think I'll just do a long document, one split into sections, so I can provide a little more information about each category of Twinborn. Or something.

I could toss some Hemalurgy in there as well, just so that I can make the ultimate metals guide of Mistborn...

Anyway, thoughts?

Except a table feels somewhat... limited. I was going to do just names, and that would've been fine. But now that I want to make a bigger project, I feel there won't be enough room. I could split the two, but there would be no point in starting the names table, since we know only 3-4 Twinborn names at most. =\

Something similar to the Allomantic table Brandon released a while ago? I doubt I could make something like this (don't have the artistic skill to draw a circle), but I think it would be a cool idea. Especially if you could have two concentric circles, one for Allomancy and one for Feruchemy, each one of them with the sixteen metals. You rotate the two, and you get the resulting Twinborn's name to show up somewhere :)

Especially if you could have two concentric circles, one for Allomancy and one for Feruchemy, each one of them with the sixteen metals. You rotate the two, and you get the resulting Twinborn's name to show up somewhere :)

Dag nabbit. That is a cool idea. Too cool. I think I may have to try to figure out a way to do that. >.<#

I wonder if a graphic designer of some sort would be willing to invest some time into this just for fun. Or if we have any with the time, skill, and knowledge in Flash/Java to make it an online tool.

Or maybe I can sit my lazy butt down and learn some of that...

That is very awesome, Cuaiir. Very. And it's a lot simpler than what was running through my head with cardboard wheels as the setup.

A Flash application would probably be the best thing to use, yes, Argent. Sun's current zaniness aside, Flash seems more universal. (I have no idea if it's easier to program, or if it's less systems-intensive, than Java, so I can't comment about that.)

I think I may try to design some art for it, to fancy it up a bit. Try to match Isaac's stuff in the books, make it look in-world. (Which makes me think of an alternate skin: instead of using text, use the symbols.)

Edited by darniil

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a graphical version I threw together, grabbing the icons from the mistborn poster. It'd probably need a key, but would solve the issues with picking out small text. I have a .psd file with it on a transparent background, the cutouts on a separate layer, and the icons on their own layer, too, so it could be easily split up to be made into a flash file.

twinborngraphic.png

Edited by Ari

How large is the PSD? I'd like to take a look at it, layers and all, if you don't object. If it's of a size to be emailed, my email address should be in my profile.

Edit: And by the way, that's awesome.

Edited by darniil

Here's a graphical version I threw together, grabbing the icons from the mistborn poster. It'd probably need a key, but would solve the issues with picking out small text. I have a .psd file with it on a transparent background, the cutouts on a separate layer, and the icons on their own layer, too, so it could be easily split up to be made into a flash file.

twinborngraphic.png

It's entirely possible it's my computer display that's the problem, but I thought I'd mention that the contrast between the shield and the symbols isn't as large as it should be, at least the way I see it here and now.

Is it for all of them or just some of them? If all, do you have any other displays that you can check, too? (Work/home/friends/phone?) If some, which ones? (Probably don't need to give the name, especially if they're hard to see, but an outer/inner and rough cardinal direction ought to suffice.)

Is this better? I've just added a drop shadow to the symbols.

twinborngraphic.png

The psd weighs in just under a meg, (950kb) and I have a version where the outer rings are tinted a desaturated blue and red instead of yellow and untinted, in case different colours would help with contrast. Just pm me your email and I'll send it off. :)

edit: I can also just zip out the symbols I extracted, they're all scaled to the same size, (max of 32x32 pixels) so you could insert them into a word document for presentation purposes while the actionscript is being programmed.

Edited by Ari

The shadow really works for the lighter colored ones, but it makes the darker ones look fuzzy.

This is as good a description as any. In the first case, it was the light (silver) ones that didn't have enough contrast, at least in my opinion.

The difficulty is that when you get it right for the lighter ones, the darker ones become harder to see, and vice versa. I think the only way to change that would be to make the color schemes for the symbols and the background sufficiently different in some way besides darkness---I don't know the words, but they just seem too similar to each other, right now. Both are currently metallic, so if the darkness level becomes the same, they blend together.

• 1 year later...
  • Chaos locked this topic