How Did Lopen Lose His Arm?

Merlin

Has anyone else wondered how the heck Lopen lost his arm? My theory is that he fought the "pig" in Herdaz that appears in one of the interludes of... Oathbringer? I think? Anyway, that was the most reasonable theory me and my friend came up with, most of which had to do with him secretly being the king of Herdaz. Oh yeah, and how did he get into the bridge crews in the first place? 

1 hour ago, WannabeWorldhopper said:

Oh yeah, and how did he get into the bridge crews in the first place? 

He was a nuisance to the wrong person.

Questioner

What did Lopen do to get on a bridge crew?

Brandon Sanderson

Lopen? Someone just thought he was annoying. Lopen, he's like the only person in Bridge Four who's, like, not a criminal. It's just like, "Oh, that stupid Herdazian, send him to a bridge crew, get him away." He's legitimately, like-- all of them have deep, dark, tragic pasts, but not The Lopen.

Questioner

Is he one of your friends?

Brandon Sanderson

No...

Oathbringer release party (Nov. 13, 2017)

1 hour ago, WannabeWorldhopper said:

Has anyone else wondered how the heck Lopen lost his arm? My theory is that he fought the "pig" in Herdaz that appears in one of the interludes of... Oathbringer? I think? Anyway, that was the most reasonable theory me and my friend came up with, most of which had to do with him secretly being the king of Herdaz. Oh yeah, and how did he get into the bridge crews in the first place? 

Well, Lopen does mention the hand eaten by a beast is doing a rude gesture during WoR(?). So maybe he did lose his arm to the pig. But it's best to take what Lopen says with a pinch of copper, anyway. But there's a chance.

Edited by Bearer of Agonies

7 hours ago, TheGirlWhoLookedUp said:

knowing Lopen, he probably made up the fearsome beast part. my guess is he tripped over a rock while skipping and singing Horneater lullabies and landed funny.:P

Lopen, skipping and singing: "La la la la la, and the gods live in the lake––" 

Lopen: *trips*

Lopen: "Okay, which cousin was it this time?!" 

Cousin #726: "Um... no comment, but are you hurt?" 

Lopen: "Besides my dignity? Nah, don't think so." 

38 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Hey do you think by the time SA4 starts lopen probably has a bunch of one-armed men as his potential squires, considering what he was doing at the end of OB?

That one armed guy that Lopen talks to at the end of Oathbringer can join!

I really hope he comes in later as a squire though.

7 hours ago, The traveller said:

I don’t think he would have grown that arm with stormlight if that were the case

He still could have.  It depends on self image it does not just heal to default.  A trans person would still heal to an opposite gender.

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic