Your favorite quote

Dragon Reborn

What is a woman’s place in this modern world? Jasnah Kholin’s words read. I rebel against this question, though so many of my peers ask it. The inherent bias in the inquiry seems invisible to so many of them. They consider themselves progressive because they are willing to challenge many of the assumptions of the past.

They ignore the greater assumption—that a “place” for women must be defined and set forth to begin with. Half of the population must somehow be reduced to the role arrived at by a single conversation. No matter how broad that role is, it will be—by nature—a reduction from the infinite variety that is womanhood.

I say that there is no role for women—there is, instead, a role for each woman, and she must make it for herself. For some, it will be the role of scholar; for others, it will be the role of wife. For others, it will be both. For yet others, it will be neither. Do not mistake me in assuming I value one woman’s role above another. My point is not to stratify our society—we have done that far too well already—my point is to diversify our discourse. A woman’s strength should not be in her role, whatever she chooses it to be, but in the power to choose that role. It is amazing to me that I even have to make this point, as I see it as the very foundation of our conversation.

--Jasnah Kholin, Words of Radiance.

Edited by RShara

People don't like us, my dear. The idea that someone who can play with their emotions, who can "mystically" get them to do certain things, makes them uncomfortable. What they do not realize - and what you must realize - is that manipulating is at the core of our social interaction. (...) Think about it. What is a man doing when he seeks the affection of a young lady? Why, he is trying to manipulate her to regard him favorably. What happens when two old friends sit down for a drink? They tell stories, trying to impress each other. Life as a human being is about posturing and influence. This isn't a bad thing, in fact, we depend upon it. These interactions teach us how to respond to others.

--Breeze Ladrian

I have a few favorites from Sanderson:

What is it we value? Innovation. Originality. Novelty. But most importantly...timeliness. I fear you may be too late, my confused, unfortunate, friend.

At the end of time, when the many become one, the last storm shall gather its angry winds to destroy a land already dying. And its center, the blind man shall stand upon his grave. There he shall see again, and weep for what has been wrought.

Thievery was the most authentic form of flattery. What could be more satisfying than knowing the things you possessed were intriguing, captivating, or valuable enough to provoke another man to risk everything to obtain them? This was Kelsier’s purpose in life, to remind people of the value of the things they loved. By taking them away.

"And while I am your friend, please understand that our goals do not completely align. You must not trust yourself with me. If I have to watch this world crumble and burn to get what I need, I will do so. With tears, yes, but I would let it happen."

-Hoid

I was sold at this line. I was battling depression at the time so I really liked this quote.

“How do you do that?” Mennis asked, frowning.

“What?”

“Smile so much.”

“Oh, I’m just a happy person.”

Mennis glanced down at Kelsier’s hands. “You know, I’ve only seen scars like those on one other person—and he was dead. His body was returned to Lord Tresting as proof that his punishment had been carried out.” Mennis looked up at Kelsier. “He’d been caught speaking of rebellion. Tresting sent him to the Pits of Hathsin, where he had worked until he died. The lad lasted less than a month.”

Kelsier glanced down at his hands and forearms. They still burned sometimes, though he was certain the pain was only in his mind. He looked up at Mennis and smiled. 

"You ask why I smile, Goodman Mennis? Well, the Lord Ruler thinks he has claimed laughter and joy for himself. I’m disinclined to let him do so. This is one battle that doesn’t take very much effort to fight.”

This was so heartbreaking.

Vin had trouble seeing through the tears. It’s impossible. He always said we aren’t invincible … but that meant me. Not him. Not Kelsier. He was invincible.

He should have been.

Someone grabbed her and she squirmed, crying out.

“Time to go, kid,” Ham said. He paused, looking at Kelsier, assuring for himself that the crewleader was dead.

Then he towed her away. Vin continued to struggle weakly, but she was growing numb. In the back of her mind, she heard Reen’s voice.
See. I told you he would leave you. I warned you.

I promised you….

I just loved this 

“Elend Venture,” she said, standing up. “There is something I’ve been meaning to tell you for some time.” She paused, blinking away her tears. “You read too much. Especially in the presence of ladies.”

He smiled, throwing back his chair and grabbing her in a firm embrace. Vin closed her eyes, simply feeling the warmth of being held.

And realized that was all she had ever really wanted.

And this 

“My brother said that I shouldn’t trust anyone …” she mumbled. “He said … anyone would betray me.”

“He was a wise man,” Zane said quietly, standing chest-deep in mists.

“He was a paranoid fool,” Vin said. “He kept me alive, but he left me broken.”

“Then he did you a favor.”

“You’ve been playing with me,” she said. “You drove a wedge between me and Elend. You made me think he feared me, made me think he was using me.”

“He was"

“Yes,” Vin said. “But it doesn’t matter—not the way you made it seem. Elend uses me. Kelsier used me. We use each other, for love, for support, for trust.”

“Trust will kill you,” he said.

“Then it is better to die.”

Dalinar turned to the soldiers around them. “It is time for us to fight,” he said, voice growing louder.    

"And we do so not because we seek the glory of men, but because the other options are worse. We follow the Codes not because they bring gain, but because we loathe the people we would otherwise become. We stand here on this battlefield alone because of who we are.”

And I love this. Don't know why exactly. But I just love this , maybe cause this was the first time syl was being serious.

“Are windspren attracted to wind,” she asked softly, “or do they make it?”

“I don’t know,” Kaladin said. “Does it matter?”

“Perhaps not. You see, I’ve remembered what kind of spren I am.”

“Is this the time for it, Syl?”

“I bind things, Kaladin,” she said, turning and meeting his eyes. “I am honorspren. Spirit of oaths. Of promises. And of nobility.”

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

“Sometimes a hypocrite is just a man in the process of changing”- dalinar

“I will take responsibility for what I have done,” Dalinar whispered. “If I must fall, I will rise each time a better man.” -dalinar

“Maybe you don’t have to save anyone, Kaladin. Maybe it’s time for someone to save you.” - syl

“ You will find wise men in any religion, Shallan, and good men in every nation. Those who truly seek wisdom are those who will acknowledge the virtue in their adversaries and who will learn from those who disabuse them of error. All others—heretic, Vorin, Ysperist, or Maakian—are equally closed-minded. ”

Don't remember the exact quote since I only know it in German:

Elend: Vin is not like other women

Tindwyl : The more women you get to know the more you will realize that this applies to all of them

• 3 weeks later...

What is the most important step a man can take?

The next step, it's always the next step

~ The Way of Kings by Nohadon (paraphrased)

Oddly, on occasion, I sense a peacefulness within. You would think that after all I have seen - after all that I have suffered - my soul would be a twisted jumble of stress, confusion, and melancholy. Often, it's just that.

But then, there is the peace.

I feel it sometimes, as I do now, staring out over the frozen cliffs and glass mountains in the still of the morning, watching a sunrise that is so majestic that I know that none shall ever be its match.

If there are prophecies, if there is a Hero of Ages, then my mind whispers that there must be something directing my path. Something is watching; something cares. These peaceful whispers tell me a truth I wish very much to believe.

If I fail, another shall come to finish my work.

~from Alendi's journal, the Final Empire

Edited by Honorless

On 10/1/2019 at 4:50 PM, The Sovereign said:

At the end of time, when the many become one, the last storm shall gather its angry winds to destroy a land already dying. And its center, the blind man shall stand upon his grave. There he shall see again, and weep for what has been wrought

I have to wonder, is Hoid the blind man.  He said he would let Roshar burn if he needed to, with tears in his eyes.

So is this prophecy about Hoid - The many rejoin and become one, Hoid lifts the scales from his eyes and sees what the cost of getting to this point was, and weeps?

On 10/25/2019 at 11:41 AM, Stark said:

I have to wonder, is Hoid the blind man.  He said he would let Roshar burn if he needed to, with tears in his eyes.

So is this prophecy about Hoid - The many rejoin and become one, Hoid lifts the scales from his eyes and sees what the cost of getting to this point was, and weeps?

Alas, it is not, this is from the Wheel of Time (Book 12: The Gathering Storm). It is referring to Rand standing on top of Dragonmount and awakening from his madness.

1 minute ago, The Sovereign said:

Alas, it is not, this is from the Wheel of Time (Book 12: The Gathering Storm). It is referring to Rand standing on top of Dragonmount and awakening from his madness.

Wow.  Its been a while since I read through the Wheel of Time.  Still, feels like an Irali prophecy - should we restart the false rumors that WoT and Cosmere exist in the same universe?