What happens when a Bondsmith bonds the Nightwatcher? ?

TheWadehart

If this has been posted before, forgive me, I didn't locate it elsewhere. 

Something occured to me and it seemed no one has brought it up.  WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A BONDSMITH BONDS THE NIGHTWATCHER? The reason I ask is because the NIGHTWATCHER has access to the old magic.  Sure Dalinar bonded the Stormfather, but that's just boring Honor. Ho hum :rolleyes:.  Will the Nightwatcher's Wordsmith be able to manipulate the old magic as well? What say all you wise ardents?

18 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

If this has been posted before, forgive me, I didn't locate it elsewhere. 

Something occured to me and it seemed no one has brought it up.  WHAT HAPPENS WHEN A BONDSMITH BONDS THE NIGHTWATCHER? The reason I ask is because the NIGHTWATCHER has access to the old magic.  Sure Dalinar bonded the Stormfather, but that's just boring Honor. Ho hum :rolleyes:.  Will the Nightwatcher's Wordsmith be able to manipulate the old magic as well? What say all you wise ardents?

I remember seeing a while ago in a different topic (I forget what it was) that Bondsmiths might have unique powers. I think it was:

Traditional Surge powers:

• Physical Adhesion
  • Object-repairing Tension

Spiritual Surges:

• Spiritual Adhesion (Connection)
  • Spiritual Tension (?)

Unique "Godspren" powers:

• Stormfather: Recharging Spheres (Honor's Perpendicularity is a strengthening of this), changing the Surges of other Radiants (Shallan's map)
  • Nightwatcher: Potentially Old Magic manipulation, changing Boons and Curses or even giving them out
  • Sibling: Nothing is known about the sibling in general, so we are unable to make inferences about what its Radiant can do
Edited by Bearer of Agonies

4 minutes ago, TheWadehart said:

Seems like the Sibling 'extra would be the running and maintenance of Urithiru a la ships computer in Star Trek. :D

I think I understand. If I may, I think (just a theory) the reason the Urithiru fabrial doesn't work is because the Sibling is supposed to be inside it. This would allow the Sibling Bondsmith to sense what was going on in the city, and turn things on and off, as well as direct power throughout the city.

I think people misunderstand what the sibling I don't think that it is the spren of urithiru as that spren would be strong but not nearly on the order of magnitude of the bondspren. So the sibling is either of odium or of some fusion of honor and cultivation. This means that it would have more perhaps the ability in the case of odium

See the future

Be able to take passion

Or in case of the fusion

Be some fusion of the two powers

On 9/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, Bearer of Agonies said:

Unique "Godspren" powers:

• Stormfather: Recharging Spheres (Honor's Perpendicularity is a strengthening of this), changing the Surges of other Radiants (Shallan's map)
  • Nightwatcher: Potentially Old Magic manipulation, changing Boons and Curses or even giving them out
  • Sibling: Nothing is known about the sibling in general, so we are unable to make inferences about what its Radiant can do

Recharging spheres is something that only Dalinar can do, it is not a normal bondsmith power. And Shallan's map is kind of spiritual adhesion, where he can bond with her and direct her power to do something that he wants.

Nightwatcher, i dont know. She must have other magical abilities too...

Sibling:  since he helps in the working of a giant fabrial i.e. Urithiru, what if his bondsmith were capable of creating other fabrials that radiants used. Like, oathgates, the regrowths etc. What if sibling would give them the ability to bond other spren to fabrials without trapping them inside the gemstones?

On 9/30/2019 at 10:21 PM, Bearer of Agonies said:

I think I understand. If I may, I think (just a theory) the reason the Urithiru fabrial doesn't work is because the Sibling is supposed to be inside it. This would allow the Sibling Bondsmith to sense what was going on in the city, and turn things on and off, as well as direct power throughout the city.

I dont think that sibling would actually reside inside the gemstone pillar, because earlier fabrials did not trap spren inside gemstones. They worked by binding spren to work the fabrials via oaths i think. 

16 hours ago, LopentheHerdazian said:

I think people misunderstand what the sibling I don't think that it is the spren of urithiru as that spren would be strong but not nearly on the order of magnitude of the bondspren

How so? Its exact function doesn't really reveal its power, and the ability to control and power the incredibly intricate tech of Urithiru is a feat all on its own.

I'm not stunning saying that the sibling was not the spren in the fabrial however I don't think that the sibling is the spren of urithiru. i.e. the manifestation of what people think of urithiru. A bondspren is the spren of a shard.

To put it in reference, a shard is more powerful than a planet, more than a galaxy. If it weren't for the other shards they would be able to rule the entire universe with ease.

There is mention that the gods of wind, spren and stone in eila stelle so I think this refers to the three “god spren”

therefore, sibling can not just simply be the spren of urithiru, he has more of s presence than that, he helped make the peaks habitable, probably had helped in shinovar also seeing as it is so different from rest of Roshar 

I think sibling represents spren of stone. 

I also wonder why stormfather says you have hurt them enough. 

Could greatshells be in some way related to sibling? We think here stormfather is referring to all humanity but what if he was specifically saying you alethis have hurt them enough. 

Could he be related to gemhearts ? 

On 10/4/2019 at 8:13 AM, The traveller said:

There is mention that the gods of wind, spren and stone in eila stelle so I think this refers to the three “god spren”

I think sibling represents spren of stone. 

I agree with your idea that the sibling is a spren of stone. We also have the 'religion' of Stone Shamans of Shinovar regarding stone to be holy.  Is it possible the remember a 'god spren' related to stone?

I have a theory that that the Sibling is somehow related to the 'strata' that everyone in the books keeps commenting on.  Inside of Urithiru, the Windblades of Kholinar, etc...  And to go even further on that limb,  imagine this:  A million years of Adolnasium 'growing' Roshar.  Generation after generation of Rosharan creatures dying and their gemhearts remaining to be covered by creme.  Is the STRATA actually a mixture of crushed/powdered gems and creme?  Is that where the colors come from?  If so is the sibling somehow to conduct stormlight 'through' the strata?  (and just a side note:  No one seems to comment on how the stormlight in gems at Urithiru lasts longer than normal.) For that matter is the Sibling able to 'Shape' the strata?  e.g. The Dawn Cities?  

On 10/4/2019 at 8:13 AM, The traveller said:

I also wonder why stormfather says you have hurt them enough. 

As to this... If the Sibling IS related to stone/strata, how do you think it would have reacted to the shattering of the Shattered Plains?  

Edited by TheWadehart
Added another idea

• TheWadehart changed the title to What happens when a Bondsmith bonds the Nightwatcher? ?
1 hour ago, TheWadehart said:

As to this... If the Sibling IS related to stone/strata, how do you think it would have reacted to the shattering of the Shattered Plains?  

May be that is what stormfather meant when he said to Dalinar, he is slumbering and leave them be, you have hurt them enough

52 minutes ago, The traveller said:

May be that is what stormfather meant when he said to Dalinar, he is slumbering and leave them be, you have hurt them enough

Yeah that was the point i was ineptly trying to make. :D  So to add to all this.

We know that, according to Stormfather, the other two "god Spren" have been hurt apparently by humans. 

So if the Sibling is the Spren of Stone/Roshar the possibly the harm it experienced was the Shattering of the plains.

Next if the Nightwatcher was the 3rd god Spren the she is strongly connected to Cultivation the shard of CHANGE.  So what could have her her?  Going waaaaay out on speculative limb here:  It was Melishi!

Have a look at these five epigraphs

"So Melishi retired to his tent, and resolved to destroy the Voidbringers upon the next day, but that night did present a different stratagem, related to the unique abilities of the Bondsmiths; and being hurried, he could make no specific account of his process; it was related to the very nature of the Heralds and their divine duties, an attribute the Bondsmiths alone could address."

"A coalition has been formed among scholar Radiants. Our goal is to deny the enemy their supply of Voidlight; this will prevent their continuing transformations, and give us an edge in combat."

"Our revelation is fueled by the theory that the Unmade can perhaps be captured like ordinary spren. It would require a special prison. And Melishi.

"Ba-Ado-Mishram has somehow Connected with the parsh people, as Odium once did. She provides Voidlight and facilitates forms of power. Our strike team is going to imprison her."

"We are uncertain the effects this will have on the parsh. At the very least, it should deny them forms of power. Melishi is confident, but Naze-daughter-Kuzodo warns of unintended side effects."

OK so he trapped Ba-Ado-Mishram. This prevented the Parsh from being able to change.  My speculation that on a spiritual level this harmed the Spren of change. The Nightwatcher.

May be.. 

but is there any indication in the text that nightwatcher was also hurt?

but nightwatcher stopped bonding with radiants much much earlier. May be after ahretiem, pardon my spelling, 

it may be that cultivation foresaw recreance and told nightwatcher to avoid nahel bond 

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

May be.. 

but is there any indication in the text that nightwatcher was also hurt?

Yes, when Dalinar was asking about the other 'god spren' Stormfather told him to leave them alone that THEY have been hurt enough.

Oh.. 

i think “they” was specifically for sibling 

because sibling may have 4 genders like dawnsingers

“Yes, you’ve said. The Nightwatcher is like you. Are there others, though? Spren like you, or the Nightwatcher? Spren that are shadows of gods?” There is . . . a third sibling. They are not with us. “In hiding?” No. Slumbering. “Tell me more.” No. “But—”

No! Leave them alone. You hurt them enough.

So when stormfather says you hurt them enough he is specifically talking about the sibling and not nightwatcher 

I don't know, Dalinar only has his special ability because the Stormfather has Tanavasts cognitive shadow bonded to him now (hence why their voices sound the same/very similar).....but its not as though Dalinar has storm powers just because of his bond. If Dalinar cannot step into the Stormfathers domain of power I dont see why those bonded to the Nightwatcher and Sibling would have any influence or powers beyond the standard.

Edited by Nymeros

• Chaos locked this topic