Rock and Horneater Forms

ThurgreatMarshall

I've been thinking a lot about this WoB lately, having re-read Oathbringer. 

uchoo786

I was actually wondering about how Parshmen would reproduce if they are only in slaveform? I thought one had to be in mateform in order to reproduce?

Also, could Horneaters and Herdazians change forms as well?

Brandon Sanderson

For the first, mateform is not the only form capable of producing--any more than warform is the only one capable of swinging a sword. The forms are specializations.

For the second, RAFO.

/r/books AMA 2015 (May 19, 2015)

Rock is quite adamant that as a third son, he is not capable of and does not fight. However, towards the end Oathbringer, we see Rock handle a shardbow, an object that requires an amount of strength that no un-shardplated person, even with Stormlight, can wield.

Is it possible that Horneater sons adopt forms suited for their particular station? And towards the end of Oathbringer, Rock has adopted the Horneater version of Warform?

15 minutes ago, Butt Ad Venture said:

Horneaters do have Singer blood though. It’s an interesting theory! Though I don’t currently agree with it, believing that it was just Rock’s superhuman strength enhanced through Stormlight, I’ll keep it in mind. 

That's what I thought on my first read as well, but then we got this from Brandon:

NotBurtReynolds

Can Stormlight give enough extra strength that a humanoid could use a Shardbow w/out Plate?

Brandon Sanderson

Not normally.

General Signed Books 2018 (Feb. 21, 2018)

It's certainly possible that Rock is natively super strong, but the question does specify humanoid, not just human. I think there is something peculiar that the fourth sons do to become warriors. 

On 9/29/2019 at 3:30 AM, Beltway2A said:

I've been thinking a lot about this WoB lately, having re-read Oathbringer. 

Rock is quite adamant that as a third son, he is not capable of and does not fight. However, towards the end Oathbringer, we see Rock handle a shardbow, an object that requires an amount of strength that no un-shardplated person, even with Stormlight, can wield.

Is it possible that Horneater sons adopt forms suited for their particular station? And towards the end of Oathbringer, Rock has adopted the Horneater version of Warform?

it is an interesting idea

Rock the stoneward!! Has a ring to it. I certainly hope we don’t have to wait till the SA 8 or something to see a stoneward in action. 

I hope taln is not the only one to represent the order. Poor taln should get all the help he can get atleast now that he is back in Roshar

• Chaos locked this topic