How does the genetical part of being a mistborn work on other worlds?

Flatulence

So, I've been searching a bit and wasn't able to find any real info on this. I assume people must have discussed it before - it's a pretty obvious question. Say a mistborn travels to another world and starts a family there. Do the kids have a chance of becoming mistborn or mistings just as they would have on Scadrial? I don't know much about the genetics of inheriting the powers, and obviously if it was a recessive gene or whatever (which it would be in the real world, if it followed our worlds principles of genetics) you would need either some pretty fast consanguine relationships or two mistborn moving there together. Either way, let's say all the pieces are in place such that a person on scadrial with this exact genetic composition would become mistborn - what would happen if the child was conceived and born on Roshar?

Spoiler

Welcome to the shard

And to answer ur question , allomancy doesn't follow normal genetics but has a few quirks. Firstly the genes are coded in the spiritual realm. Commonly referred to as sDNA.

I think a child who would have been mistborn on Scadrial would be mistborn anywhere else in the Cosmere but if allomancers were to breed with ppl lacking sDNA , thier progeny would slowly lose allomancy and allomancers born would be more likely to be mistings and very weak ones at that. Ultimately the sDNA would be completely lost.

This is a problem on Scadrial itself as generous breeding of the nobles with the skaa and the Terrismen have diluted and weakened both allomancy and feruchemy.

Even without the interbreeding ,In a few centuries it's expected the potency of allomancy will keep on decreasing until it eventually platues , producing rather weak mistings and no mistborn. Interbreeding accelerates the process.

And since the genes are Spiritual rather than physical , I'm pretty sure genetic engineering is out of the question. I guess hemalurgy is the closest u will get to genetic engineering with regards to sDNA

I hope I kinda answered ur question.

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

• Chaos locked this topic