What is so terrible about Moelach?

Oltux72

His name is clearly a reference to Moloch, the bull headed Phoenician God that live infant sacrifices were offered to in exchange for blessings/power.

Moelach in book is preforming a similar thematic function: offering forbidden knowledge/power at a terrible price.  His mere existence tempts mortal to do exactly what Taravangian has done, sacrifice others for secret knowledge.

20 hours ago, Dannupa said:

I’m wondering if he had something to do with the creation of the voidspren in the first place? Maybe he helped the originals remain in Roshar so they could be reborn.

All voidspren seem to come from Braize originally.

52 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

His name is clearly a reference to Moloch, the bull headed Phoenician God that live infant sacrifices were offered to in exchange for blessings/power.

Moelach in book is preforming a similar thematic function: offering forbidden knowledge/power at a terrible price.  His mere existence tempts mortal to do exactly what Taravangian has done, sacrifice others for secret knowledge.

That might just be a side effect.  Perhaps he just gathers info for Odium.

3 hours ago, Karger said:

That might just be a side effect.  Perhaps he just gathers info for Odium.

Does seem like a side effect of his presence but info gathering for odium? Nah.. we know that odium has much better futuresight to need to rely on the tidbits that Moelach provides!

9 minutes ago, The traveller said:

Does seem like a side effect of his presence but info gathering for odium? Nah.. we know that odium has much better futuresight to need to rely on the tidbits that Moelach provides!

Future sight is limited especially if you only have one PoV and a number of individuals are working against you also have it.  However you have two PoVs and can compare notes you might be getting somewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Karger said:

Future sight is limited especially if you only have one PoV and a number of individuals are working against you also have it.  However you have two PoVs and can compare notes you might be getting somewhere. 

May be. But odium did not seem to be following that cautious an approach to me. He seemed pretty confident that he had everything in the bag at the end of OB. 
I also sometimes think that odium related unmade visions or voidbinding granting visions to Renarin are very biased towards odium type of visions. 
Futuresight is always about various possibilities and alternative choices etc but the visions that Renarin sees or Moelach grants are very specific without alternatives. Are they even futuresight or odium’s wishlist?

1 hour ago, The traveller said:

Futuresight is always about various possibilities and alternative choices etc but the visions that Renarin sees or Moelach grants are very specific without alternatives. Are they even futuresight or odium’s wishlist?

I personally think that he is not just doing future sight but he gathers information from dying souls like that sleepless told the dying soulcaster.

8 hours ago, The Traveller said:

Sleepless told what to Kaza ?

“After many warnings not to come to this place,” the cook said. “It is rare I must guard it so … aggressively. Men must not again discover this place.” “The gemstones?” Kaza asked, growing more drowsy. “Or … is it something else … something … more…” “I cannot speak,” the cook said, “even to sate a dying demand. There are those who could pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the ends of worlds. Sleep now, Soulcaster. This is the most merciful end I could give.”

On 12/6/2019 at 2:07 PM, Karger said:

He hibernates for long periods according to Mr. T.  Don't ask me why I really don't know. 

Mr. T categorizes Moelach as one of the "mindless" Unmade, along with The Heart of the Revel, versus Sja-anat who is quite intelligent. Being mindless probably means lying around like an unused hammer in between Desolations. Nergoul (the Thrill) is in between, but more mindless than intelligent. It must have to do with the kind of spren they were before being "Unmade" by Odium.

52 minutes ago, robardin said:

It must have to do with the kind of spren they were before being "Unmade" by Odium.

If I were Odium I would actually make sure that my spren were unintelligent if at all possible.  The only actually intelligent one we have seen is currently planing on double crossing him.

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

If I were Odium I would actually make sure that my spren were unintelligent if at all possible.  The only actually intelligent one we have seen is currently planing on double crossing him.

maybe... or is sja-anat planning to be a double agent?

• 5 months later...

My theory on why Moeloch is collecting death rattles is an attempt by Odium to sweep for any blidnspots in his foresight. For important matters he has Moeloch collect death rattles then he checks them for any common points of difference from his own predictions. If something stands out as not matching up over numerous deathrattles then it is more likely to be an important possibility he missed.

Also deathspren are probably involved. I just noticed it in a recent reading but they are black shapes with red eyes who appear to the dying.

I think that there are two possible reasons of Moellach existence:

1. Indeed, he gather informations. Knowledge is power, Odium knows that and creation of servant that can pull information from dying is very usefull. We know, that Shards dont have direct access to minds of mortals, but maybe the connection between body and mind is the weakest in moment of death and Moelach is able to read memory of dying mortal.

2. He disrupts moving between realms. In this case his primary goal will be to stop sentient spren from entering into Phisycal Realm, efectivly lowering numbers of Radiants.

Of course, this two powers can coegsist and Moelach can have both.

I think he’s a weapon in and of himself, a double edged sword that men unknowingly use. People seem to trust the Death Rattles, but what if they’re actively misleading people for Odium’s ends? It doesn’t even have to be a lie, just the right fragment of the truth could produce an incredibly skewed perspective.

For example, if Taravangian were to hear “The Killer wearing white will take up the Judge’s Blade” long before Thaylen City’s battle, he might presume that Nale will be giving Szeth the Skybreaker Honorblade not Nightblood. From there he might take different actions then he normally would.