Just finished WoR!

The Kraken's Daughter

So, I finished WoR and enjoyed it just as much as TWOK.

Loved Dalinar becoming a Bondsmith. I do wonder why the Stormfather made him give up his Shardblade, though. Wasn't that the one Talenelat'elin had? It seems like it should be an Honorblade and thus not corrupted, right?

Also loved Lopen using Stormlight and Teft's comment that he saw some members of Bridge Four glowing. It would be awesome to see Rock using Stormlight. Since he won't fight, I'm guessing his ability would revolve around making his food supernaturally nutritious or even medicinal.

Loved Rysn and the turtle-spren. The creature she was entrusted seems like it might have been the same kind that Nale had when he went after Lift.

I do not like this Herald who's trying to kill Radiants. I bet the Recreance is all his fault.

Throughout the book, I was developing this theory that Sadeas would end up being Odium's champion. Then Adolin literally stabbed that theory in the face.

I'd seen comments about people hating Moash and didn't really understand why until he fought Kaladin. Because the thing is, Elhokar is basically useless, and Alethkar doesn't have a peaceful way to remove a bad ruler. So I could kind of see his point, Even now, I'm not really sure how to feel about him.

I wonder what happened to the Parshendi who didn't want to go along with Eshonai and escaped when she tried to round them up? Did they all get killed in the Everstorm/highstorm collision? It feels like a bit of a "shaggy dog story" to establish that a significant number of the Parshendi aren't on board with Odium and then kill them off without them accomplishing anything.

There's a lot going on here, and I'm really looking forward to Oathbringer. I hope we see more of Rysn and Lift, and that the flashbacks show what drove Dalinar to seek out the Old Magic.

1 minute ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Wasn't that the one Talenelat'elin had? It seems like it should be an Honorblade and thus not corrupted, right?

Read the description of the blade Taln had at the end of TWoK,

His muscles glistened, wet as if he’d just swum a great distance. To his side, he carried a massive Shardblade, point down, sticking about a finger’s width into the stone, his hand on the hilt. The Blade reflected torchlight; it was long, narrow, and straight, shaped like an enormous spike.“Welcome, lost one,” Wit whispered.

and then read the description of the blade Dalinar had. 

White mist coalesced in Dalinar’s fingers, and a Shardblade appeared, tip to Amaram’s throat. Wider than most, it was almost cleaverlike in appearance.

They aren't the same blade. 

Beyond that... I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I hope you enjoy OB, but I'm not saying crem about anything else. :lol:

10 minutes ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

There's a lot going on here, and I'm really looking forward to Oathbringer. I hope we see more of Rysn and Lift, and that the flashbacks show what drove Dalinar to seek out the Old Magic.

If you want more Lift you can read Edgedancer before Oathbringer.

44 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Read the description of the blade Taln had at the end of TWoK,

and then read the description of the blade Dalinar had. 

They aren't the same blade. 

Beyond that... I'm glad you enjoyed the book, and I hope you enjoy OB, but I'm not saying crem about anything else. :lol:

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

38 minutes ago, Karger said:

That's included in Arcanum Unbounded, right? Maybe I'll read Edgedancer and The Emperor's Soul before I dive into Oathbringer.

Oh, and one thing about WoR that I found really amusing...the sword Szeth gets at the end. Its voice reminded me so much of Clippy, the annoying assistant from old versions of Microsoft Office.

3 hours ago, The Kraken's Daughter said:

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

That's included in Arcanum Unbounded, right? Maybe I'll read Edgedancer and The Emperor's Soul before I dive into Oathbringer.

Oh, and one thing about WoR that I found really amusing...the sword Szeth gets at the end. Its voice reminded me so much of Clippy, the annoying assistant from old versions of Microsoft Office.

oh.. and by the way may be read Warbreaker as well before diving into Oathbringer if you have not. 

I had not and i regret it to this day

13 hours ago, Karger said:

You should do this simply because of reading things both in publication order and in in-world chronological order. There are references in OB to stuff that happens in Edgedancer.

May as well pick up Arcanum Unbounded for extra goodies in there versus the standalone novella.

11 hours ago, The traveller said:

oh.. and by the way may be read Warbreaker as well before diving into Oathbringer if you have not. 

I had not and i regret it to this day

Ideally one would have read Warbreaker after TWoK and before WoR, TBH...

Spoiler

I remember finishing reading WoR on a NYC subway and being unable to keep from exclaiming aloud, "What? That's NIGHTBLOOD!", resulting in people giving me looks and edging away cautiously.

Edited by robardin

Eh. Read Edgedancer between because it's chronologically in between the books. 

As For Warbreaker... Honestly, it doesn't matter which order you read them in. Reading SA before warbreaker will effect your perception of that book just as much as reading warbreaker prior will effect your perception of SA. The idea that Warbreaker is somehow mandatory for stormlight reading is not correct. 

All you need to know when you do decide to read warbreaker is that it takes place before stormlight.

Enjoy Stormlight for what it is, and feel free to make any connections later. Brandon doesn't want anyone to feel compelled to read more than they care to. 

On 9/25/2019 at 0:16 PM, robardin said:

Ideally one would have read Warbreaker after TWoK and before WoR, TBH...

Hide contents

I remember finishing reading WoR on a NYC subway and being unable to keep from exclaiming aloud, "What? That's NIGHTBLOOD!", resulting in people giving me looks and edging away cautiously.

I didn't scream out loud, but my internal dialogue was definitely all-caps there. 

• Chaos locked this topic