White sand volume 3

Friendshipspren

Ok I read white sand volume 3 yesterday and I have a few questions

1).Ok so in the comic u see a female face in the clouds watching the actions going on below. I know it's autonomy but does it signify anything , like is autonomy seriously interested in human affairs ? or is it just that the artist thought it would be cool to give obvious Clue's to the greater nature of the Cosmere ?

2). How come Baon is way more powerful at Sandmastery than even Drile ?

3). If overmastery leads to increased power , could Drile use it to eventually control as many as 50 or more ribbons ?

Could Kenton learn to control 25 or more ribbons eventually ?

4). Why did the Diem keep this knowledge a secret ? I mean , sure keep it secret in the training years but after that let it be known. For example , after testing kenton's determination and his success even when restricted to a single ribbon , they could have easily told him the secret and made him powerful .

5). I'm guessing the singer at the going to darkside is Hoid. What in damnation is he doing in Taldain ? I thought Bavadin stormin hated him . I thought he would never risk going there. 

I mean roshar is one thing. Odium was kinda lying low and I guess the other shards cloaked or  protected him intentionally or not. 

Besides Rayse had a lot of other stuff to deal with , so he couldn't focus on hoid. 

But taldain is a mono-Shardic planet and autonomy is pretty free .

Hell he got found out by endowment and she warned him off. I'm sure bavadin won't be near as generous. She even says her child/avatar on obrodai is programmed to hate him .

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

1. We don't know

2. We don't know

3. There's a decreasing rate of return, if I remember correctly. I'm not sure if that's canon still, but it probably is. Drile probably already did the overmastering, and that's how he got up to 25 so far.

4. To keep the powerful powerful and keep the lessers their lessers.

5. White Sand takes place the earliest of any cosmere works, it might be before Autonomy really started to look for him. Also, he knows how to lie low. I'm sure he could figure a way to keep from getting noticed.

12 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

1).Ok so in the comic u see a female face in the clouds watching the actions going on below. I know it's autonomy but does it signify anything , like is autonomy seriously interested in human affairs ? or is it just that the artist thought it would be cool to give obvious Clue's to the greater nature of the Cosmere ?

No idea.

2). How come Baon is way more powerful at Sandmastery than even Drile ?

No idea

3). If overmastery leads to increased power , could Drile use it to eventually control as many as 50 or more ribbons ?

If Kenton is right he has already been overmastering for several years.

Could Kenton learn to control 25 or more ribbons eventually ?

Probably not.

4). Why did the Diem keep this knowledge a secret ? I mean , sure keep it secret in the training years but after that let it be known. For example , after testing kenton's determination and his success even when restricted to a single ribbon , they could have easily told him the secret and made him powerful .

Because the highest ranked members wanted to retain their authority over the lowest ones.

5). I'm guessing the singer at the going to darkside is Hoid. What in damnation is he doing in Taldain ? I thought Bavadin stormin hated him . I thought he would never risk going there. 

Hoid would risk a lot of things.  If I had to guess he is looking for how to use Sand Mastery.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2019 at 0:09 PM, Karger said:

Hoid would risk a lot of things.  If I had to guess he is looking for how to use Sand Mastery.

... By going to the Darkside? :/

And nobody's going to talk about Baon's massive display of Sand Mastery potential? Previously, when discussing the 17th Shard group at the Purelake that included Demoux (Seer Misting) and Galladon (Elantrian), he had been used as an example of how the 17th Shard members had some technique to worldhop and to slow aging (or to skip years in the CR) that didn't require one to be Invested. Well... I guess he is, after all!

Maybe I need to re-read the whole thing more closely, but if the sabotage of the Mastrells had been due to contamination of the water bowl itself (not the water supply), how come Kenton wasn't affected, at least in his duel with Drile?

Edited by robardin

7 minutes ago, robardin said:

Maybe I need to re-read the whole thing more closely, but if the sabotage of the Mastrells had been due to contamination of the water bowl itself (not the water supply), how come Kenton wasn't affected, at least in his duel with Drile?

Elorin wanted Kenton to win so he poisoned Dirle.

9 minutes ago, robardin said:

... By going to the Darkside? :/

Darkside has its own magic system.

13 minutes ago, Karger said:

Elorin wanted Kenton to win so he poisoned Dirle.

Darkside has its own magic system.

So that water bowl was passed around for all the Mastrells to drink from. Kenton wasn't affected because he wasn't a Mastrell (yet), and judged to be too powerless to care about. OK. But the second time, in his one-on-one duel with Drile, how did Lord Mastrell Kenton not drink from the same ritual bowl as Drile? Or was the way that Elorin managed to poison just Drile different from how he did it at the sash ceremony? (I don't have the book with me so I can't go re-read to find out.)

We haven't seen any Darkside magic yet, right? It can't be sand based, because they get no sunlight to Invest the sand, so it's interesting that Baon has such as massive latent affinity for it. "There's always another secret."

Edited by robardin

1 hour ago, robardin said:

So that water bowl was passed around for all the Mastrells to drink from. Kenton wasn't affected because he wasn't a Mastrell (yet),

Oh that part.  Kenton was using much less power so he dehydrated slower.  The more ribbons you use the faster you dehydrate and the spice used compounded the problem.  Also the Mastrells were targeted specifically.

OK. But the second time, in his one-on-one duel with Drile, how did Lord Mastrell Kenton not drink from the same ritual bowl as Drile

I will have to check but Drile must have drunk second after Elorin poisoned the water.

We haven't seen any Darkside magic yet, right? It can't be sand based, because they get no sunlight to Invest the sand, so it's interesting that Baon has such as massive latent affinity for it. "There's always another secret."

I personally think that the moon is involved.  Reflecting sunlight back toward Darkside.

On 10/4/2019 at 9:27 AM, robardin said:

And nobody's going to talk about Baon's massive display of Sand Mastery potential?

I just got done reading White Sands Vol 3, and I audibly yelled "WHAT!?" at the epilogue. I believe that Hoid is there specifically because of Baon's display of Sand Mastery. As far as we know, it's the first time a Darksider has displayed any ability for Sand Mastery (mainly because they were never tested, and discounting Kenton who is half Darksider). It is possible that Hoid's important event sense told him to be there at that specific time.