HD Remakes of Stormlight Maps - Roshar, Shadesmar & Alethkar

Stoneward13

Just now, Keeper Exile said:

This is kind of a weird question, but what program do you use to make the maps? Do you just use Photoshop or the like, or do you use a specialized map-making program?

Not a weird question at all :) I do it all in Photoshop. The various map making programs I've seen lack the versatility provided by photoshop. 

I've been enjoying seeing those pop up on Reddit, but I don't go there often enough to keep up (I hadn't seen the Alethkar one, for example, until now) - so I am happy to see you here, on my turf :P

Do your methods depend on having an existing map that you can up-res and polish, or can you do things from scratch as well? It might be interesting to see your take on some unmapped locations if it's the latter.

2 minutes ago, Argent said:

I've been enjoying seeing those pop up on Reddit, but I don't go there often enough to keep up (I hadn't seen the Alethkar one, for example, until now) - so I am happy to see you here, on my turf :P

Do your methods depend on having an existing map that you can up-res and polish, or can you do things from scratch as well? It might be interesting to see your take on some unmapped locations if it's the latter.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked them :) I don't usually use an existing map when I make maps, it actually takes a fair bit longer to mimic something than to make an original work, cause I find myself nitpicking over it, trying to make every little detail match, haha. 

https://www.deviantart.com/stoneward13/gallery

You can see some of my original maps here. I've thought about making some maps of previously unmapped places, like Nalthis/Hallendren, or the archipelago in Sixth of the Dusk, but those would be tricky. I don't have enough info on the regions to make something that would look cohesive. For example, I'd have Hallendren, Idris, and Pahn Kahl, but I don't have names for other places nearby. It might look kind of empty, you know? Still, though, I might try :)