Shout out to lonely nerds everywhere...

Tesh

Hi! If you are on this website, I assume you are a nerd of some sort. My name is Tesh, and i am a professional bookworm and certified fantasy nerd. But I'm also a hard core musical fan. (My favorites are Phantom, Les Mis, DEH, Wicked, Hamilton, and Newsies. The movie).

I assume that i am not alone in the fact that I'm also pretty darn lonely when it comes to my nerdy interests. I have some good friends who put up with my sudden ramblings, and a few who will even respond. But i don't have anyone beyond this site who wants to have a genuine conversation with me about books.

So, I invite everyone who has ever felt lonely, alone, or out of place because they love something unconventional to join me.

As we talk about nerdy stuff, and why people are so opposed to people who devote a ton of time to something that they love that isn't a sport. (I'm curious about the answers to this).

I'm also a self proclaimed nerd. I read addictively and pretty fast, so I go through a lot of books. I also LOVE musicals even have gotten to go to Hamilton.

I'm also pretty smart and 2 years ahead of most of my grade in math, but I tend to try and not talk about these things because it makes people around me feel uncomfortable. 

I've always down played my intelligent and have acted more dumb to try to not freak people out or scare off friends. At this point I'm not completely sure what is me just being dumb or me trying to be. 

This school year I have joined our schools book club and it is honestly the best part of my week. We don't read assigned books, but talk about what we've read and play games. There are 4 other cosmere fanatics and we are trying convert the rest of the club to the fandom. 

@Tesh I really hope you are able to find good nerdy friends you can talk about books with, but if you can't there is always the 17th shard and we always be here.

15 hours ago, Tesh said:

As we talk about nerdy stuff, and why people are so opposed to people who devote a ton of time to something that they love that isn't a sport. (I'm curious about the answers to this).

Yeah, why is that? I’ve never understood it. I don’t care about the NFL, nor the NBA(Heaven forbid the MLB), but why does that matter? Can’t I be a nerd without feeling personally attacked?

I’m definitely a lonely nerd, being the only one in my family. My dad sometimes indulges my love for Star Wars by listening to me nerd out or going to see the movies with me, but I feel like other than that I can’t relate to my parents or siblings.

@Jaywalk Yeah. My mom is a reader, and loves to discuss books that we've both read, but she doesn't have much interest in epic fantasy type stuff. 

I personally do Tae-Kwon-Do, but i hate the sparring aspect of it. I'm just not competitive. I'm also going to try and pick up fencing, because that would just be cool.

And that feeling of loneliness just sort of increases when you realize people are just listening to you too be nice.

And i don't really have an answer to that question either. I guess it's just not what's "cool."

Just now, Tesh said:

@Jaywalk Yeah. My mom is a reader, and loves to discuss books that we've both read, but she doesn't have much interest in epic fantasy type stuff. 

I personally do Tae-Kwon-Do, but i hate the sparring aspect of it. I'm just not competitive. I'm also going to try and pick up fencing, because that would just be cool.

And that feeling of loneliness just sort of increases when you realize people are just listening to you too be nice.

And i don't really have an answer to that question either. I guess it's just not what's "cool."

Wait, I actually did get my mom into reading! I got her to read the Fablehaven books, and then I introduced her to Sanderson—she loved Skyward, and she’s reading The Emperor’s Soul right now. Silver lining of a sort.

3 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

Wait, I actually did get my mom into reading! I got her to read the Fablehaven books, and then I introduced her to Sanderson—she loved Skyward, and she’s reading The Emperor’s Soul right now. Silver lining of a sort.

I love Fablehaven! (I met Brandon Mull last March at TABC)... And that's awesome. Make sure she keeps reading!

Just now, AonEne said:

Huh. I've never actually felt attacked or discriminated against for being a nerd. Is that common?

No idea. I'm not necessarily discriminated against, probably because I'm proud of it. I have been teased, though, but that's never really bothered me. There's just no one i can really talk to in real life. My one friend i have who used to be a Sanderfan now only reads cheesy romance books. She's also even semi-popular, and I just feel out of place around her. 

Just now, Jaywalk said:

I had a great time, so I’m planning on it!

I guess i might see you there, then! I'll be going as a Mistborn. Have you seen anything about the anthology? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on their website, and i have a short story I'd like to submit.

1 minute ago, Tesh said:

I guess i might see you there, then! I'll be going as a Mistborn. Have you seen anything about the anthology? I can't find it mentioned anywhere on their website, and i have a short story I'd like to submit.

Not quite yet, but it’s still pretty far out. We’ll probably start seeing stuff around November(which is when I think signups opened for last year).

10 minutes ago, Jaywalk said:

Not quite yet, but it’s still pretty far out. We’ll probably start seeing stuff around November(which is when I think signups opened for last year).

Last year it said that the submissions were due late November, so i hope you're right.

1 hour ago, FatherTiempo said:

Oh do it do it do it do it!!!! Fencing is awesome!!!!!! Do you live near a bigger city they have a lot of clubs.

No. I live in a small town, one of the many that populate the vast deserts of the state that i inhabit.

But they have a weekly class at our community center.

Yeah, I have friends that are nerds, but no friends who are fantasy nerds :(. I would kill for a fantasy book club, but unfortunately my university doesn’t have one. Instead, there’s a single book club that’s dedicated to reading more serious literature like Kurt Vonnegut and Virginia Woolf. Which I don’t mind on occasion, but it’s not the preferred way of spending my free time. 

21 hours ago, FatherTiempo said:

Oh do it do it do it do it!!!! Fencing is awesome!!!!!! Do you live near a bigger city they have a lot of clubs.

On 9/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, Tesh said:

I'm also going to try and pick up fencing, because that would just be cool.

I will hunt you both down and fence you, even if you don’t do foil which is clearly and obviously superior to sabre and epee. 

7 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Yeah, I have friends that are nerds, but no friends who are fantasy nerds :(

Yeah. I have this one friend who feels a lot like I do in this regard. He's this crazy computer hacker nerd. 

7 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I would kill for a fantasy book club

I really really want to start this now. I just don't have the social skills to lead any sort of club, even a book centered one.

8 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

I will hunt you both down and fence you, even if you don’t do foil which is clearly and obviously superior to sabre and epee. 

I can use a boken... (A wooden stand-in for a katana). But i just know this once pattern. I love using it though.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/22/2019 at 1:13 AM, Tesh said:

But I'm also a hard core musical fan. (My favorites are Phantom, Les Mis, DEH, Wicked, Hamilton, and Newsies. The movie).

*grabs arm and rambles about how Norm Lewis and Alfie Boe are the ultimate Javert/Valjean combo and how One Day More makes me blubber like a tiny child*

4 hours ago, Zelly said:

*grabs arm and rambles about how Norm Lewis and Alfie Boe are the ultimate Javert/Valjean combo and how One Day More makes me blubber like a tiny child*

Oh my goodness i have a new best friend...

Norm Lewis also played the Phantom on Broadway for a while! I was trying to find *cough* not bootlegs *cough* of Ben Lewis doing the Final Lair scene, and got some stuff with Norm Lewis. He's really talented. I'll have to see what he's done with Les Mis, then...