The Female ardent and more (rantings) (SPOILERS)

metaldragon

So a few things keep poking ut at me after listening to the WOR the 1st is the female ardent.

1. I forget her name but she is mentioned serveral times by Adolin and at least once by Kaladin. I feel like she is more important than we give her credit.

A. says she join the ardents to get away from men...(a order full of men). Terris woman world hopper? Doesnt mind a bald head and was mentioned to be a very smart woman,

B. The ardent in general seem to have connections to worldhoppers See You know who.

C. The Ghostblood already have a direct connection with ardents see Kapsil from WOK.

The ghostblood woman with the mask strikes me as very curios too. 

a. i can understand not wanting to remove the mask in front of shallan but why would she not want the ardents to see her face either? None of the other ghostbloods covered their faces exactly..just her and she claims to be the "teacher" of the ghostblood leader.

She also has strong signs of world hopping. Is she possibly the female ardent? Second guess is the mistress of the highprince Shallan lived with which would give the ghostblood leader (im bad with names cant you tell?) a good opening to come to the battle with the parshindi and meet with shallan later. This leaves open the question of WHO is the leader of the ghostbloods? Have we seen him before his meeting with shallan?

/rant over

Edited by metaldragon

Isn't the leader of the Ghostbloods Restares?

and I believe we have a WoB that....Oh wait, Nazh is a guy...maybe not. There is however a lot of speculations floating around regarding Iyatil. 

Restares appears to eb the leader but Iyatil clearly claims to have trained him.

1. I forget her name but she is mentioned serveral times by Adolin and at least once by Kaladin. I feel like she is more important than we give her credit.

A. says she join the ardents to get away from men...(a order full of men). Terris woman world hopper? Doesnt mind a bald head and was mentioned to be a very smart woman,

B. The ardent in general seem to have connections to worldhoppers See You know who.

C. The Ghostblood already have a direct connection with ardents see Kapsil from WOK.

The ghostblood woman with the mask strikes me as very curios too. 

Are you referring to Rushu, the ardent that was working with Navani during the testing of the lifting fabrials?   I don't know if she's a Terriswoman or a worldhopper.  I guess it's possible, but sometimes a female ardent that wants to escape men advances is just a female ardent that wants to escape men's advances.

Isn't the leader of the Ghostbloods Restares?

Restares is involved with Amaram, which would make him part of the Sons of Honor. Thaidakar is the name mentioned by Amaram as the leader of the Ghostbloods.

Edited by Moogle

Restares is involved with Amaram, which would make him part of the Sons of Honor. Thaidakar is the name mentioned by Amaram as the leader of the Ghostbloods.

Rushu? I don't think so either. The other female ardent is a different story though.

Considering the whole masculine/feminine arts custom, it's very odd to see a female ardent working in the training grounds-Ivis.

She's had quite a bit of time to learn from Zahel, giving her the qualifications to teach lighteyes in the training grounds. Also, being an ardent is a perfect cover. She has to be bald which hides her royal heritage that's evident in her hair.

Wasn't Iyatil claiming to have trained Mraize? Who later refers to her as his babsk?

This is how I understood that part, too. Thaidakar seems to be the first of the Ghostbloods, but Iyatil trained Mraize.

Rushu? I don't think so either. The other female ardent is a different story though.

Considering the whole masculine/feminine arts custom, it's very odd to see a female ardent working in the training grounds-Ivis.

We learned back in TWoK that being an ardent brings some kind of freedom from the general woman/man-roles.

Bits of bread covered with a red sauce. It was men’s food, but they were both ardents, so that didn’t matter.

TWoK, I-8, Geranid

Thus I don't see, why a female ardent wouldn't be trained on the sword and couldn't be good with the sword.

Thinking about it, I'm more surprised that ardents (male or female) are trained in the arts of war. Shouldn't the ardents teach peace? :) But then, looked at it from another perspective, if there were not ardents trained in all Callings, who would elevate the normal people in their Callings.

She's had quite a bit of time to learn from Zahel, giving her the qualifications to teach lighteyes in the training grounds. Also, being an ardent is a perfect cover. She has to be bald which hides her royal heritage that's evident in her hair.

Just rambling: My gut doesn't see Vivenna on Roshar. Also she should be able to control her hair now. And: Nobody on Roshar would know "of her royal heritage" aside fo Vasher and Hoid.

(This last passage might be enhanced or changed after rereading the corresponding parts of WoR).

We learned back in TWoK that being an ardent brings some kind of freedom from the general woman/man-roles.

Thus I don't see, why a female ardent wouldn't be trained on the sword and couldn't be good with the sword.

Thinking about it, I'm more surprised that ardents (male or female) are trained in the arts of war. Shouldn't the ardents teach peace?  :) But then, looked at it from another perspective, if there were not ardents trained in all Callings, who would elevate the normal people in their Callings.

I'm just saying its odd. I'm assuming a lot of the warrior ardents were former soldiers who never got married. It seems like a perfect way to combat unemployment in former soldiers, they can continue in their calling and not have to worry about other things. Its not impossible that someone couldn't be taught weapons after joining, but it seems more likely that you'd have to enter with those skills. I do grant that Ivis could have joined the ardentia specifically to learn the sword, but it seems unlikely since it seems to be rather taboo in culture. Even though that ardentia is separated from that, culture still has a way of pressing down on someone born into it. Kaladin even notes it as being strange:

A woman with a sword. An odd sight. Of course, was it any odder than a darkeyed man holding a shardblade?

WoR Chapter 44 One form of Justice

Just rambling: My gut doesn't see Vivenna on Roshar. Also she should be able to control her hair now. And: Nobody on Roshar would know "of her royal heritage" aside fo Vasher and Hoid

I'm not implying they would know specifically what it meant or why, but just that its something she has to hide. Even the most level headed person looses control of their emotions, and just one slip could cause her trouble, because its different. Look at how the Rosharans treat Amians, it just wouldn't be smart to advertise it. The ardentia is a perfect cover because she has to be bald. (I wouldn't be surprised if that became part of the ardentia simply to slip her in there. :P)

I also have to assume that Ivis is the one that points Kaladin to Zahel during the weeping:

Kaladin walked along, searching among them, but didn't find Zahel. He even peeked in the man's room, but it was empty. 

"Up above, bridgeman!" one of the ardents called. The bald woman pointed toward the stairwell at the corner, where Kaladin had often sent guards to secure the roof when Adolin and Renarin practiced. 

WoR Chapter 81 The Last Day

She's then been linked with Zahel at least twice, and could even be watching over his rooms. She knows exactly where Zahel is at without having to be asked. 

My gut is pointing the direct other way.

I'm just saying its odd. I'm assuming a lot of the warrior ardents were former soldiers who never got married. It seems like a perfect way to combat unemployment in former soldiers, they can continue in their calling and not have to worry about other things. Its not impossible that someone couldn't be taught weapons after joining, but it seems more likely that you'd have to enter with those skills. I do grant that Ivis could have joined the ardentia specifically to learn the sword, but it seems unlikely since it seems to be rather taboo in culture. Even though that ardentia is separated from that, culture still has a way of pressing down on someone born into it. Kaladin even notes it as being strange:

I'm not implying they would know specifically what it meant or why, but just that its something she has to hide. Even the most level headed person looses control of their emotions, and just one slip could cause her trouble, because its different. Look at how the Rosharans treat Amians, it just wouldn't be smart to advertise it. The ardentia is a perfect cover because she has to be bald. (I wouldn't be surprised if that became part of the ardentia simply to slip her in there. :P)

I also have to assume that Ivis is the one that points Kaladin to Zahel during the weeping:

She's then been linked with Zahel at least twice, and could even be watching over his rooms. She knows exactly where Zahel is at without having to be asked. 

Good Catch! I guess we will know for sure after reading  "Nightblade". 

I buy it. Great theory.

Given the lifespan-extending qualities of Breath, I really do believe that Vivenna will continue to play a role in the happenings of the Cosmere alongside Vasher. If she does appear in WoR, the female ardent seems the most likely candidate. Vasher trusting her to teach swordsmanship and her knowing Vasher's location could have been written utterly without any conspiratorial intent, but one can't help but wonder.

• 2 weeks later...

Shouldn't the ardents teach peace?

They don't in other ways. Kaladin describes them as having a definate bias towards encouraging people to become soldiers in preparation for the war in the afterlife to reclaim the Tranquiline Halls.

Vorinism is a militaristic religion.

• Chaos locked this topic