Shadesmar vs. Cognitive Realm

ckey

The wiki has separate pages for Shadesmar and Cognitive Realm, based on several WoBs (cited there) that Shadesmar is a term specific to Roshar while the Cognitive Realm is the generic term. A while ago, I asked Peter Ahlstrom via Twitter why Khriss in AU refers to the Cognitive Realm as Shadesmar. Peter replied that Shadesmar is not a Roshar-specific term, and presumably can be used interchangeably with Cognitive Realm. I tried arguing the point based on the WoBs but Peter had a different way of understanding Brandon's words there.

If this is correct, shouldn't the wiki pages be merged with a redirect? Or perhaps someone could shed more light on the difference?

I can't post links, but our conversation can be found at twitter.com/PeterAhlstrom/status/950593919124889602  

Ian (WeiryWriter) doesn't like using Shadesmar for Cognitive Realm overall... so that's up to him really. However I do think there can be value in separate pages for each planet's subastral. Roshar's in particular will surely be very in-depth with future Shadesmar stuff, so it can definitely still have a page, maybe just called something like Rosharan subastral.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:50 PM, Chaos said:

Ian (WeiryWriter) doesn't like using Shadesmar for Cognitive Realm overall... so that's up to him really. However I do think there can be value in separate pages for each planet's subastral. Roshar's in particular will surely be very in-depth with future Shadesmar stuff, so it can definitely still have a page, maybe just called something like Rosharan subastral.

Didnt Brandon say that the cosmere standard was to use the term shadesmar but that as the systems advance they could start using the more accurate term " Congnitive realm"? I might be mixing that up from one of the 17th shard podcasts. 

On 9/24/2019 at 4:03 PM, Hakedohn said:

Didnt Brandon say that the cosmere standard was to use the term shadesmar but that as the systems advance they could start using the more accurate term " Congnitive realm"? I might be mixing that up from one of the 17th shard podcasts. 

That's correct. That's been part of the basis for using "Cognitive Realm" as the page name. The argument is that while it's not the popular term in-world it's (1) not wrong, (2) less confusing, and (3) potentially the proper/popular in-world term in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a bit like the word 'xerox' becoming a synonym for photocopying. Shadesmar does refer to Roshar's part of the Cognitive Realm that eventually became a popular term to apply to the entire Cognitive Realm. Roshar's Cognitive Realm does also seem to eventually be very pertinent to the story. Secret History is set in Scadrial's Cognitive Realm, Sel's Cognitive Realm has the Dor. It's better that Coppermind have separate articles on them.