Long Game 60: The Shadow Over the Forests of Hell

Elandera

21 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

Thanks! :D

Any advice for RPing and building characters?

Welcome to SE! We’re glad to have you!
I mean, I don’t have a ton of experience, but for me when I’m making a new character I try to find a trait or personality type that I enjoy and can engage with both the setting and other characters, and build from there. Because rp in SE is primarily about how your character reacts to the situation around them, and other’s characters, choosing traits that interest you allows you to build interesting interactions with both others and the environment. After choosing a few traits/quirks, I then try to fill in the rest of the rest of their background, and try writing their voice. If I like how it feels and I can comfortably replicate it, then I use the character. If not, it’s back to work.

As for rp itself, the best advice I can think of is do what you think your character would do. This is where having a good defined background/personality helps. Using those two as a guide, it becomes a lot easier to react to others in an authentic way. Other then that, I think practice and trial and error are the best ways to learn/improve. If something isn’t working, try writing it a different way, and if doesn’t work then, try again.

Obviously I’m just one person and others with more experience’s advice may differ, but this is the stuff that’s helped me learn.

On 9/28/2019 at 3:58 PM, ILuvHats said:

Thanks! :D

Any advice for RPing and building characters?

19 hours ago, Snipexe said:

Welcome to SE! We’re glad to have you!
I mean, I don’t have a ton of experience, but for me when I’m making a new character I try to find a trait or personality type that I enjoy and can engage with both the setting and other characters, and build from there. Because rp in SE is primarily about how your character reacts to the situation around them, and other’s characters, choosing traits that interest you allows you to build interesting interactions with both others and the environment. After choosing a few traits/quirks, I then try to fill in the rest of the rest of their background, and try writing their voice. If I like how it feels and I can comfortably replicate it, then I use the character. If not, it’s back to work.

As for rp itself, the best advice I can think of is do what you think your character would do. This is where having a good defined background/personality helps. Using those two as a guide, it becomes a lot easier to react to others in an authentic way. Other then that, I think practice and trial and error are the best ways to learn/improve. If something isn’t working, try writing it a different way, and if doesn’t work then, try again.

Obviously I’m just one person and others with more experience’s advice may differ, but this is the stuff that’s helped me learn.

Additionally, something I sometimes do, is I choose basic information regarding my character before the game begins, such as career, interests, etc. 

RP isn't mandatory in SE, and you'll see that many people just choose to do analysis. When you RP, you'll want to RP the character you created, and not the role the GM gives you. If you're an eliminator or a powerful role, and RP that role, then you will become target of other people's actions, and you may die early on, and also hurt your team's chances of winning. 

Sounds just beyond the range of understanding echoed through Rowley’s head. The sounds of drums yet unseen, and of which there was no source, permeated the air.

Rowley shuddered, dreading the return this familiar place. It was the same as his previous nightmares had been, the ones that had been haunting his sleep since he had arrived in Innsmouth. A twilight sky filled with impossibly colored stars loomed over the cyclopean buildings of an impossible scale that encircled him on all sides. He took a deep breath and readied himself for what was to come. The drums accelerated into a thrum that itself seemed to grow into a vibration of the air.

Around Rowley, the shades of the dead grew into in reality. Shades that bore familiar faces. The expedition crew and those who had died since surrounded him. The victims of the cult that was destroying Innsmouth. They pressed in, coming closer and closer as more and more joined their numbers. He felt a hand on his leg, and jerked away, looking down to see the form of a little girl trying to clutch his leg, seemingly as a replacement for a mother who had been lost in the horrific crowd.

He crouched down, looking into the girls face, ignoring the throng of shades. It was dark and alien, twisted beyond recognition as that of a little girl. But within the dark swirls that made up her features, a dark reflection of something else dwelt. He shoved the girl away when he realized what it was. Disgust and terror greater than any previously experience filled him. The girl melted into the crowd of shades, becoming nothing but oil in a sea of pitch. Rowley remained frozen even as the shades filled his vantage.

In her face, in that girls face, that dark shade, he had seen his own.

Rowley stumbled out of bed, struggling to get his hands wrapped around reality. Feeling it slip away, he collapsed onto the ground. He sat there for an indeterminate amount of time, contemplating the meaning of the dream, even as he had done for the previous week. It was still just as meaningless as the first time. The girl was the only thing that made this dream unique from the rest. She’d died recently, Rowley knew, another one of the victims.

Absentmindedly he touched the spot on his leg where she had clutched onto him. He felt dust coat his fingers, and looked down to see a chunk of his flesh withered, an imprint in the shape of a small child's hand blackened the flesh of his thigh. He felt bile rise from his stomach and had to choke keep it down. Turning, he reached for his bag, the small room allowing him to reach it without moving far. He had never been more grateful for the poor quality of the inn than when he poured his last remaining silver dust on the wound.

He stood up slowly, trying to catch his breath, and avoided looking at the wound on his leg. Rowley pulled on his clothes quickly, grabbed his papers, then stepped out of his room, and carefully traversed the stairs down to the main foyer. The innkeeper nodded in response to Rowley’s arrival, and Rowley smiled in return. It was time to get back to his studies, and begin another day in this miserable fort.

Welcome to Day 1 of LG60! All PMs should be sent. If you have not received one, please contact Snipexe and Elandera. Snipexe did the write-up, so if you want to upvote it, find one of his posts. Thanks!

Rules

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18ZLvYTFUXikgQNHW61AORBkS-gBGC-uUXu6zEvBpMSs/edit?usp=sharing

Acitons available to anyone

Spoiler

Worship at the Altar of Dagon - The ways of the Order are intriguing. Some may find themselves wanting to know more. At Night, they may search out Dagon’s altar and find themselves worshipping him. If a player chooses to visit the Altar, they have a 50% chance of receiving a vision containing pieces of all PMs sent the turn before. However, the visions take a toll on the mind, causing the probability of insanity from Unforgettable Horrors to increase by 5% every turn until the player goes insane. Note: If the player does not receive the vision, they do not have the +5% chance for insanity.

Discover the Hidden - The darkness of night hides many things, from the sinister to the strange. It can also help hide people. A player may choose to use the dark to spy on another player’s actions. This action is only available during the Night Turn. However, lurking in darkness can lead to discovering things best left unknown. Using this action has a 20% chance of resulting in insanity, causing the attempt at spying to fail.

Listen at the Door - Players can listen at the door during the Day Turn and hear PMs of two players of their choice. Unfortunately, they have a 33% chance of being caught, resulting in being roleblocked for the next turn.

Whisper to the Wind - Send an anonymous PM during the Day Turn to one player, to be sent at the end of that cycle.

Mists of Releh - An ancient spell that will obscure one player’s vision with a layer of unholy mist. During either the Day or Night turn, a player can cast the spell to redirect the actions of a player of their choice to another random player, including themselves. Doing so has the potential to enact a terrible price on the user. The chance of them going insane next turn is increased by 20%.

Voice in the Crowd - Any player can choose to send their lynch vote to the GM through a PM, and they will add it to the vote count anonymously. Vote redirects will apply to this action. Unfortunately, there is also a 20% chance their voice could be drowned out and their vote will not be counted.

Use Item - During either the Day or Night turn, a player can use an item in their inventory.

Item Pass - Pass an item to a player of your choice during the Night turn.

- PMs are open. Be sure to add both GMs to all PMs ***EDIT: Alvron has asked to not be included in player-to-player PM***
- Players can take one action during each Day and Night turn
- Two-vote minimum for the lynch
- Tied lynches will be decided at random

Player List

Spoiler
  1.  Xinoehp512 - Enasni
  2. Rathmaskal - Rathinal Maskworth
  3. Fifth Scholar - Ruthful
  4. Cadmium Compounder - Tim
  5. Araris Valerian - Fade
  6. Shanerockes
  7. Amanuensis - Innocent
  8. Butt Ad Venture - Patrick Punnington
  9. StrikerEZ - Mr. Freegift
  10. Ventyl - Nogard fo Redro
  11. ILuvHats - Kill-sin Pimple
  12. Sart - Mindful
  13. Ark1002 - Arr. K Thousantoo
  14. Devotary of Spontaneity - Lord Ghent

This turn will end Thursday, October 3 at 12 p.m. PST.

Edited by Elandera

"Hi! I'm Tim. I know that we are in scary circumstances, but honestly, I don't pay attention to the news. So I have no idea what we are fighting. I just came to this meeting because I heard there were refreshments."

Then Tim sat back down in his seat.  

Hello Tim! You can call me Reverend P. I, ah, prefer not to go by the unfortunate name my accursed mother gave me, God Beyond rest her soul. Anyways, do any of us really know what we're fighting? All I've heard is that there have been a series of people who've disappeared off to who knows where over the last few months."

• Alvron locked and unpinned this topic

Ruthful gave her best smile as her grandchildren crowded about her knees, laughing. “Giveus a stowwy, Gramma!” the toddler, Noma, demanded, and a chorus of approval greeted the sentiment, even from the older ones. They loved to hear her “tales” about shadowy horrors and the brave who had overcome them, and this visit would be no exception. They’re so innocent now, she thought sadly. What would these children say if they knew of the fanaticism, the threats that actually underly these dense woods? If they knew that I told these stories to prepare and guard them, and not to amuse? There are so few left untouched by the curse of this town, our family among them. Unless I have missed something. Unless I have failed, at last, in my vigilance...

She shook her head, clearing her thoughts. Now was certainly not the time to be fretting about things beyond her control. Ruthful smiled again, scooping up one of the youngest, Boza, in her arms and swinging her around. The child giggled. “Lemme go, Gramma!” she exclaimed, and Ruthful obliged, giving a last pat on the head as a parting shot. She sat the girl down on her knee and began to talk. 

“A very long time ago, before your grandparent’s grandparents were born, a curse had haunted the small town of Innsmouth by the sea...”

This is normally where I do my role analysis, or at least something briefly game-related, but unfortunately I’ve not read the rules in a week, and have work to do tonight, so that will have to wait. :P For now, I’m liking the RP, and would encourage everyone to check in with at least something. 

Mindful studied the crowd trying to glean information. The cultists had made everyone strangers to each other, so it was better to focus on what roles people might have. The Governor probably had nothing to do with the cult. If they were, they could have converted the town ages ago. Plus, they had a Bodyguard as a second in command. It would be nice to have someone to trust in this madness.

The cult was a problem though. Since the cult's Founder had a silver tongue that could change votes, it would be difficult to lynch them, especially if they started controlling the Governor. And just the thought of the Deep One was enough to make Mindful shudder. It might be better to die than to stay like that. Of course, any other followers of Dagon's Will would be problematic, especially if they could convert others to their side.

It seemed as though the deck was stacked against the Town. Still, there had to be some hope. Perhaps the Gravedigger could be the hero they needed, but how were they supposed to know who to kill? The Archaeologist would be consumed with their own study. If they could find a way to protect the town, the academic could be useful, but Mindful thought that chance was low. Any other curiosities they unearthed might be better staying in the ground. Mindful also lumped in the Necromancer with the town. If the Shades were leaving messages for them, the town needed to know about it.

All in all, it wasn't looking great for Mindful and the town. That analysis didn't include any third parties. The Bounty Hunter seemed especially dangerous. Other than the Deep One and the Gravedigger, it seemed that anyone they killed would net them a profit. Any petty Criminals seemed more annoying than anything. Trying to steal riches in these conditions seemed like a fool's errand at best. The Journalist didn't seem too bad though. If they gave the town leads, it would be useful. And that was all the roles Mindful could think of, unless there were some other secrets afoot. In this town, who knew?

Questions for the GMs @Snipexe and @Elandera

• How does the Founder role work? Do they lose their own vote if they use their ability? If they use their ability on the Governor, does the extra vote follow the Founder's manipulation?
  • How long does being Insane last for? If you become Insane, does it wear off at the start of the next turn, or are you permanently stuck like that?
  • Why is the Necromancer lumped in with the Neutral roles?
  • What happens if a Neutral party completes their Win Condition? Does the game end? Is the player removed from the game?
  • Are there any Hidden Roles?

1 hour ago, Sart said:

The Archaeologist would be consumed with their own study. If they could find a way to protect the town, the academic could be useful, but Mindful thought that chance was low. Any other curiosities they unearthed might be better staying in the ground. 

• How does the Founder role work? Do they lose their own vote if they use their ability? If they use their ability on the Governor, does the extra vote follow the Founder's manipulation?
  • How long does being Insane last for? If you become Insane, does it wear off at the start of the next turn, or are you permanently stuck like that?

The pallid mask seemed like a good way for PM contacts to establish a code to limit the harm of future PM spying abilities, but being double targeted by Listen at the Door/Hidden Transcripts during the day and then Altar of Dagon at night can reveal parts of messages sent under the mask's protection, so that item isn't as valuable as it could be.

The Founder's ability doesn't mention that it cancels the Founder's vote, so it probably doesn't. 

Insanity only has the PM/action/vote block for one turn, and has the 10% action failure chance + 5% PM spy chance forever. Insanity is kind of inconvenient, but it's also a highly effective alignment scanner as 2/3 of the evil roles cannot go insane. Anyone announced in the writeup as being insane is thus far less likely to be evil. Any Dagon's will members may still go insane though. Still, this definitely means we should try our best to achieve insanity. 

4 hours ago, Sart said:
  • Why is the Necromancer lumped in with the Neutral roles?
  • What happens if a Neutral party completes their Win Condition? Does the game end? Is the player removed from the game?
  • Are there any Hidden Roles?

The Founder's vote remains in place when they use it. Both of the Governor's votes would be moved if affected by the Founder.

Insane lasts for a turn. So if you become insane at the end of the night turn, you're insane for the next day turn. You will be able to resume actions the following night turn. 

PAFO

Game does not end, and the player remains in the game.

PAFO

Returning after looking over the rules, I have a few quick thoughts to lay out (but not much time, so this post will probably be short). Regarding what Sart said, that the deck is stacked against the village, I both agree and disagree; while our roles are certainly hampered by lack of communication, the great advantage of this game is that we know which roles are evil and good already, and the powers of the two are fairly difficult to confuse. Role-trading is therefore a viable strategy to rule out who the cultists are; in addition, we (presumably) have the necromicon, which I would advise the holder to use immediately, despite the guarantee of insanity; catching and disposing of the Deep One early makes it a price worth paying. 

Regrettably (or perhaps not, as this game would be little fun if it could be solved by mass roleclaims), it appears that claiming anything this game is fraught with risk; the Governor claiming could expose the Bodyguard via PM spying, or vice versa, and the only things protecting the Archaeologist and the Gravedigger are silver bones or the elder sign pendants. Revealing roles also puts us at the mercy of third parties: the bounty hunter has strong incentive to pursue roled players, even villagers, to achieve their win condition: as such, all of this makes claiming, except as a way to avoid a lynch on a powerful villager, a poor idea, for the most part. 

Roleless players are also enormously important to this game. Right now, if I’m reading the rules correctly, everyone has access to an action tracking ability which could easily catch the Order members submitting kills, or even the Deep One himself doing his reveal. Retribution, assuming the scanner doesn’t die, would then be swift. Redirection, receiving copies of PMs, and sending them anonymously are also worthwhile actions, if less effective than the tracking at directly catching cultists. Regarding “Voice in the Crowd,” I would suspect anyone using it at least to a moderate degree, as it makes the Founder’s vote manipulation harder to identify, and makes the lynch much more uncertain. Recommending it as an action therefore feels wrong, even though it is publicly available. 

RP to come, and perhaps a longer post, in twelve hours or so. Right now I have to leave :P 

Rathinald here.  Hrrmm now, it seems we've got a bit to talk about here.  See, there's definitely some good guys and some bad guys...and some other guys too.  It's a good thing you brought in someone with my, er, expertise.  Oh?  You don't know what I do?  Then why'd you hire me?  Well, have you ever heard of the exorcism of Santa Rathma?  Or the witch trials of North Shardington?  Those were only possible because of me.

~~

OK, it looks like Devotary already kind of pointed this out, but insanity is going to be a great tool to soft clear people from being elim - it looks like two of the elim roles are immune to insanity (The Founder is listed as 'can't go fully insane' so I'm assuming they'd never be announced as insane)  I'm glad that Fifth pointed out the Bounty Hunter role (well, he didn't explicitly point it out, but implied it with the 'this game would be little fun if it could be solved by mass roleclaims') because I was going to make myself look foolish and throw that out there.  (Seriously, I know I would have been shot down immediately...I don't often suggest role claiming, and am usually opposed to it, but it seemed like it may have been useful this game)

The RP so far is great.  I'll admit, I've never played anything Cthulu-related (although I do have a Cthulu-themed board/mini game coming in from Kickstarter fairly soon), but I've heard some good things and am excited to get some of the flavor here.

That's what I've got for now.  As with most other people, I'm sure I'll get some additional analysis and such in later.

Music played, and Enasni hummed along. Music only he could hear. Each note fell, like a raindrop, exactly where it needed to go. Exactly where it needed to be.

Others made things of wood and string and metal and called them instruments, blowing or hitting or plucking them to make what they called 'music'. If they would only open their ears, they would know; everything was a instrument. Every person, animal, plant and object. Each with its own timbre and rhythm, all mixing together in a grand symphony that spanned the world.

And only he could hear it.

The dreams overtook Patrick. A dark, twisted hand reached out to him. Beckoning. A raspy voice surrounded him,  “Child? Child, come here. You can’t hide. My joy will find you. I will find you.” Fleeing, Patrick heard mocking laughter following him. “Little boy. You cannot run from me.” It became darker and darker the further he ran. Darker and darker. And cold, oh so cold. Shivering, Patrick forged onward. Every step painful. Every breath felt like murder. He had to run though. Run away. He could not stop. He had to run away from the thing that hunted him in his dreams. A wave of fatigue hit him at the mere thought of slowing down. The voice got louder, “Boy!” It screeched, “I will have you! You will be mine!” He collapsed, he could run no further. Surely whatever the voice promised wouldn’t be worse than death? The darkness deepened. Peals of hideous laughter bore down on him. “What does a penguin do to repair its house Patrick,” the figure cooed. Patrick tried to move, to escape, but it was as if every limb was tied. The menacing figure tisked, “Well, do you not know?” He shook his head. “Then let me tell you, igloos it together!” Patrick opened his mouth to scream at the cringe, he felt words being pulled out of them against his will. He heard himself say, “What a very funny joke”

~~~

I feel so horrible after writing that. The pun is that bad. And now, my dear Sharders, I must tell you all something. I have failed! Though there have been weeks of searching for the perfect pun topic, I am at a loss. So you guys get this instead. You’re welcome. :P

This is mostly just to say that I’m here and I exist. As always, not much help for analysis, but I have one question for@Elandera

Does Listen at the Door allow you to hear all the PMs of two players, or All PMs between the two players? If it’s the former, is it only what your target says, or does it include replies?

On 10/1/2019 at 3:16 PM, Elandera said:

Listen at the Door - Players can listen at the door during the Day Turn and hear PMs of two players of their choice. Unfortunately, they have a 33% chance of being caught, resulting in being roleblocked for the next turn.

Rathinald here again.  Have you a reason for that finger pointing?

18 minutes ago, Araris Valerian said:

I suppose I'll kick off the voting with one on Devotary.

The Lord has already appeared, so it cannot be a poke vote.

Edited by Rathmaskal
grammar change more in line with the Rathinald character

Mindful, having gone over the roles, turned her attention to the people in front of her. Easni was swaying back and forth, humming to himself. Was he too far gone, or could she gain information from him? She didn't want to push the issue. Rathinal was boasting about his accomplishments lynching cultists. That would be useful, if his words weren't an idle boast. Rathinal was addressing Fade, who was hiding in the shadows. The shadowy figure had leveled an accusation against Lord Ghent. Lord Ghent, for his part, was arrogantly looking away, not bothering to dignify the insult with a retort. Mindful had never heard of this Lord, so there might have been more to him than met the eye. Ruthful was telling stories, while Tim grabbed refreshments. Neither of them stood out very much. Innocent was doing some calculations, and asked to be left alone. Mindful hoped he would be done soon. She could also hear Patrick tossing and turning in a nightmare. Sleep was not coming easy these days.

Unfortunately, there should have been more people. Nogard @Ventyl hadn't been seen in days. Perhaps the cult had abducted him. Still, that left three people who had been spotted, but hadn't actually said anything. At least she knew the names of Arr K. Thousantoo @Ark1002 and Mr. Freegift @StrikerEZ. However, there was a man who no one knew the name of, lurking around the edge of town. One person said the stranger might be named @shanerockes but Mindful wanted to know what she could call Shanerockes.