Lack of enthusiasm about White Sand 3

Karger

Today White Sand III came out.  Basically no one cares.  Anyone want to explain why they have not at least read the thing?  Almost everyone has read the entire Cosmere and White Sand 3 is Cosmere.

Edited by Chaos
Making the topic title more neutral

So, being totally honest here. I actually care about White Sand volume 3. Yes, I have many many issues with the graphic novels. I think they are poorly made, and I don't think it was the best story to try and adopt a graphic novel of. That said, I am interested in the story and do want to see how it ends.

I think you're not seeing more hype because nobody knew it was coming out today. The date has been moved around a bunch on online stores and we never had an official final release date from Dynamite. This combined with the fact that many people consider the graphic novels to be of low quality means that no one is really talking about it yet. 

No one cares because most people had no idea, and because the previous ones were... Questionable. 

That said, I got a digital copy from my library today and it's by far the best one yet. 

The art change is a good one. The frame to frame logistics actually make sense. And overall it's actually a GN that is worthwhile which I couldn't say about the previous. 

And the changes from the prose are good ones in my opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Argent said:

Let's avoid topics that generalize the entire community. "No one" and "everyone" are bound to be incorrect virtually all the time, so claims that include them will tend to upset people. 

Well, it's clearly a hyperbole as a literary device. There's no way he wanted to say that literally noone cares about it. Of course some users care. So I don't think the title should be classified as questionable.

On the topic: Is there any additional content like maps or an Arcanum in the package? Or just the usual Dayside map and the story? The release would be way more appealing to me with stuff like that.

Edited by Elegy

I think this topic is a bit dramatic given that it's been not even a day since its release. There's no hype because there was no release date to hype, right? It's a work and school day so many probably haven't even begun to read it. I've only very briefly been able to look at it. I quite like the art in this. It's very readable. 

15 minutes ago, Argent said:

Let's avoid topics that generalize the entire community. "No one" and "everyone" are bound to be incorrect virtually all the time, so claims that include them will tend to upset people. 

Thanks for the edit.  I sometimes lack a bit of restraint in my speech.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

I think this topic is a bit dramatic given that it's been not even a day since its release. There's no hype because there was no release date to hype, right? It's a work and school day so many probably haven't even begun to read it. I've only very briefly been able to look at it. I quite like the art in this. It's very readable. 

A bit dramatic maybe but usually people would care enough to write a review or say something like"I am reading this and here is what I think so far".  The release date movement might have zapped a lot of the enthusiasm but even still the lack of response is notable.  Try and imagine if something similar had happened with Oathbringer.

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

Thanks for the edit.  I sometimes lack a bit of restraint in my speech.

A bit dramatic maybe but usually people would care enough to write a review or say something like"I am reading this and here is what I think so far".  The release date movement might have zapped a lot of the enthusiasm but even still the lack of response is notable.  Try and imagine if something similar had happened with Oathbringer.

Dynamite never sends us review copies. Other things we can get review copies slightly early so we can post up a thing. Maybe we'll still do one, though! Hard to plan when there's no real release date.

3 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Dynamite never sends us review copies. Other things we can get review copies slightly early so we can post up a thing. Maybe we'll still do one, though! Hard to plan when there's no real release date.

I'm not sure what "a thing" is, but you should totally do a thing.

I care a lot that it's out... but I already pre-ordered the physical copy to go with my other two and I didn't want to pay for the kindle version as well just to read it so... not much for me to say or be excited about or not yet. 

And... who knew it was coming out all of a sudden after so many date shifts?

The White Sand novel (unpublished) is one of my favorite pieces of the Cosmere honestly. I love Sand Mastery almost as much as I love Awakening. 

39 minutes ago, Green Hoodie Mistborn said:

And... who knew it was coming out all of a sudden after so many date shifts?

Me and about 2 other people on the shard who looked at the amazon release date and concluded it was coming out because standard procedure looked to to be to shift things down every time we got within a week.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking forward to receiving my hardbound copy on Thursday, according to Amazon. Does that count?

I'm sure a lot of people who pre-ordered the hardcopy version of a graphic novel (which would probably be a lot of people interested in it in the first place) would be in a similar category not "not being willing to pay double to read it electronically a few weeks earlier".

Would I double-pay for a prose version of the same canonical material (not the "unreleased" prose version), maybe... But from experience, unlike text/prose works, reading comics/graphic novels on my tablet device, much less my smartphone, is just a terrible experience compared to the Real Thing.