Has anyone noticed...

TheWadehart

3 hours ago, TheWadehart said:

That the description of Vorinism pretty much describes EXACTLY what is happening to the Fused? Here's a paragraph from Way of Kings, p852 wherein Kaladin is describing Vorinism and the retaking of the Tranquiline Halls.  Is it just me or are there some surprising similarities?

It is surprising.

7 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

The Fused are not doing as they were doing in life, though. They are becoming demigods effectively and are reborn, as opposed doing this in an afterlife.

That could easily be a later addition.  Once Vorinism was being used to keep the general population in line they'd need to have an explanation for why it was just as useful to be a farmer or craftsman rather than the only Calling being the Soldier.  

18 hours ago, TheWadehart said:

That the description of Vorinism pretty much describes EXACTLY what is happening to the Fused? Here's a paragraph from Way of Kings, p852 wherein Kaladin is describing Vorinism and the retaking of the Tranquiline Halls.  Is it just me or are there some surprising similarities?

Screenshot (27).png

Personally, I think that's a stretch.  Vorinism reads like an adaption of real life religions (past and present), similar to just about every other religion that exists in a fantasy novel.  Do a good job at what you do and you will be rewarded in the afterlife is a very common theme in religions around the world all the way back to ancient times.  A fight in a spiritual realm among divine beings to defeat evil is also a common theme in religions.  Vorinism also does not say that you will die again and again once you've risen from the dead the first time. I took this section to mean that once you die and rise again, you will have eternal life similar to the heaven in western religions though it doesn't specifically say that.

So I wouldn't say it's exactly like what is happening to the Fused.  You might still be right though, interesting find.

• Chaos locked this topic