Elend  Venture

The Bleeding Spike

221 posts in this topic

Talon sighed and tapped his pen on the bar, bored.

2 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

He pointed to her. “That definitely gets their respect, for some reason.”

Lena shrugged. "It's fun. And it offers me the possibility to try some ... things out."

She grinned at him and took his arm, when they were outside.

"Let's check if there's someone at the scholar's guild. And if there isn't I'll cook some dinner. What would you like to have?"

Very quickly, I will be relatively inactive for the next two days. This is a warning.

12 hours ago, Sorana said:

Lena shrugged. "It's fun. And it offers me the possibility to try some ... things out."

She grinned at him and took his arm, when they were outside.

"Let's check if there's someone at the scholar's guild. And if there isn't I'll cook some dinner. What would you like to have?"

“Instant noodles, maybe?” It was easy to make and very quick. Perfect for Alask.

“Scholar’s Guild sounds good. Do you know where to go?”

Do the Scholar’s Guild have a thread?

Lita moved through the Alleys, weaving herself and Laurelai a path. She held the shifting strands of reality like sections of hair, plaiting them, bending them, feeling them slide through her fingers. Space and time stretched like taffy, pulled apart before collapsing back together. She kept her eyes dutifully forward, ignoring the lure of the Void that whirled above, eager to devour her mind. In what could have been only a few seconds or several minutes - Lita was never sure - she felt a familiar tug off to her right, a sense of correctness. She followed it, stepping sharply off the path she had created, and felt her foot hit the gritty cobblestones of the alley that ran next to the Bleeding Spike. 

The sky reappeared overhead, overcast with small breaks in the clouds showing a watery blue. Lita took a deep breath, inhaling the many layered scents of the city, and felt herself relax a little. Despite living in the Alleys, she always preferred the air out in the city, even if it was filthy. A light breeze tugged at the loose strands of hair falling around her face, and she smiled. There was no wind in the Alleys, perhaps that was what made her uneasy. Too much stillness in the air.

Lita flipped up the collar of her coat and removed her flat cap, tucking it into a pocket. Her hand brushed against the long spike that rested in there as well, and some of her nerves calmed. There was always a chance of danger when meeting someone, but the informant’s choice of location was somewhat reassuring. Killing someone in a tavern left a lot of witnesses. Besides, with Laurelai along, Lita knew she was possibly the safest person in the entire city. Lita briefly entertained the vision of the swift and utter retaliation that would befall someone who harmed Laurelai, and smiled. She then pulled out her old spectacles and set them on her nose. They were pointless - she was almost always burning Tin these days - but the stranger she was meeting didn’t have to know that. 

She waited a moment to make sure Laurelai had followed her, and when the blonde woman stepped up beside her, Lita grinned.

“Shall we?” She said, and pulled open the tavern’s door with a touch of Pewter, ushering them both inside.

According to her watch, it was nearly three in the afternoon, which meant that she could possibly arrive before this “B”. Lita cast an appraising eye over the place, glad that she’d been here before and already taken stock of everything. It would help if things went sour. Her green eyes moved over the occupants, trying to catch a flicker of recognition or a sign of her informant’s presence. Lita’s face was a mask of keen, polite attention, but inside, she felt excitement kindle its familiar fire. 

Where are you then, and what oh what have you brought for me?

@Voidus @Ark1002

Laurelai stepped into the building, following after Lita. She clicked her tongue softly as they entered, eyes running over the new furniture clean floors and undamaged structure. This tavern was new, which meant she lacked any prior knowledge of it and was also unable to use any of the major events that had happened in the city to affect it. Buildings in the city were usually relatively easy to damage, all it would have taken was a stray bit of fire during the fight with PlasmaCore or an orbital bombardment during the seven day war and any building could have been completely destroyed.

But a completely new building had little history to work with, far fewer things that could have gone catastrophically wrong. And without knowing any specifics for the building either that meant she had very little she could change.

She felt Lita scanning the room for its inhabitants, satisfied that she'd likely find any dangers there before she could Laurelai directed her attention to trying to discover what she could about the building. It hadn't been Soulcast, that meant a little more possibilities depending on where materials were gathered, but there was also little unity in the construction. The brick walls were likely created locally but that huge oak bar would have had to come from somewhere else, the Ironwood doors were clearly a custom order, heavy, ornate and expensive, but the chairs were clearly mass produced and not terrifically constructed.

Well at least those will be easy to break, that's something as a distraction at least. Laurelai thought, one cheek twitching briefly in a mix of irritation and mild amusement. Too bad they skimped on the furniture rather than the support beams though.

She took a deep breath in, letting the flow of oxygen calm her as she resettled her posture. Back straight, chin held high, safehand curled up in her sleeve but not fully enclosed. A Rosharan noble who was starting to adjust to life in the city but still wasn't entirely comfortable showing their hand in a strange tavern. Her lips narrowed back into a line, stern but a little worried.

"Any idea who you're meeting?" She asked Lita.

Lita glanced over at Laurelai, who had subtly shifted her posture and curled her left hand slightly into her sleeve. So, she's Rosharan today. A decent-enough cover, and one that Laurelai had perfected. Lita, for her part, hadn't bothered with a disguise. This "B" had arranged a meeting with Lita herself, after all. No point in pretending she was someone else.

"Someone who knows what they're doing," Lita replied. "Whoever this is, they either know their way around the underground, or they know someone who does. That message came from Tanner's - I recognized the ink - and you know that nothing gets past Beau. Someone's been saying all the right words in all the right places. They're either an expert, or a complete moron with too much money."

She began walking towards the massive oak bar. "As it is, I don't see anyone here matching either description. We must've arrived before they did, which is always a special treat." Lita pointed at the menu, which graciously pointed out how cheap the alcohol quality was here. "Meager offerings, I know, but shall we get you a drink, Brightness?"

Lita gave Laurelai half a wink and rapped her knuckles on the bar, trying to catch the attention of whichever scantily-clad server was on duty. "Two glasses of your best wine, please. I realize that might be asking a lot, but do what you can."

Because I want to make a response that will do you justice, I will have to wait for tommorow.

Cumbert lifted his head off the table. Someone had entered the Bleeding Spike. He let his head drop. Tables were good for resting your head. He heard whispered words drifting over from the newcomers, but he couldn't quite tell what they were saying.

"Beavers are prospering---" he thought one said. "---Your best drink." he could understood that.

Damon heard Lita's pleas for half decent wine and turned to the selection of alcahols behind him, filling two tumblers with his best violet. "Here you go, Ladies, the deepest violet we have." He said, sliding the tumblers toward them.

Bellatrix entered the tavern, face open for the world.

There wasn't a thing the world could do about it, anyway.

She grinned darkly, and again her crown of flames alighted itself on her brow. It showed a frightening woman, someone powerful, untouchable, godlike. Ethereal features, with pale skin and white hair, and brilliant violet eyes. She walked with her back straight, her body revealing a lithe grace, every movement calculated, showing restrained power, the power to kill.

But it was all a face. Because if she let it down for even a second, her ability to be rational would crumble. She would weep at the feet of this member of the Dark Alley. Her facade would be over, because of all that had happened to her. The city, which she had attacked, used her power to kill hundreds. She had burnt down blocks of the city, watched people go up in flames. But back then, she still had Mike. Mike, with his kind words, his shy smile. Mike... who hated her. Because someone had told him who she was. A member of the Bureau, the organization the universe hated. A founding member at that. Her sins were numerous, and it was unlikely that anybody would forgive or forget any time soon. She had the mask so she could resist the urge to cry, to seek the comfort of alcohol, cigarettes, or the darker comfort... death. She would not fall to these urges. She would survive.

She strolled up to Lita's table. There was another woman with her. She strained her mind to think of who Lita had been seen with. It was either Lena or... L, L, it also started with an L. Lauren maybe? She wasn't sure. She slid a stool over, and sat slowly, still maintaining the mask of power. She had power. But it could all crumble so easily.

She inclined her head to Lita. 'I'm glad you decided to attend. It would have been... unfortunate if you had ignored me.' She pulled up a seat from another table, sitting slowly. 'I am the one who sent you that letter,' She said with a grin, 'Though you already know that. I am B. You will have to figure out what that means on your own. I will not tell you.'

She cocked her head at Lita. 'And I'm so glad you brought your pretty friend here. Afterall, the more the merrier.' She surveyed them, and leaned back a fraction of an inch, awaiting a response.

@ZincAboutIt @Voidus

Lita would have noticed the white-haired woman the moment she'd walked into the tavern, even if she hadn't been waiting for a mysterious informant. As it was, the newcomer practically screamed "mysterious informant," from her bright purple eyes to the circle of fire dancing over her hair. Kind of you to make it easy for me. 

She took a small sip of wine and pursed her lips at the too-sweet burn of it on her tongue. Rosharans had no subtlety when it came to drinking; she'd learned the hard way that violet "wine" was nothing more than colored, sweetened grain alcohol. And she'd seen people drink flagons of this stuff.

Lita sat quietly as B pulled up a chair, her face placid and attentive, neither challenging nor bored. B's manner indicated she was used to getting her way, though Lita nearly raised a brow when the woman implied a threat had Lita ignored her meeting request. What, exactly, did she have in mind for tracking Lita down? Wandering into an Alley? Lita sized B up, reading her grace, her obvious power. She'd probably last longer than most who ventured through the Alleys unchaperoned - maybe even a whole day.

It was hardly a shock when the woman declined to reveal her name. Lita wasn't worried. If she wanted to find out, she doubted she'd have much trouble. How many white-haired fire Epics could there be in the city? Lita already had an inkling, though she hoped she was wrong. She could possibly be the last missing Bureau member, one of the top brass that a few of her interrogations had mentioned. If that were the case, she might actually have something to worry about. But, then again, if B had wanted to kill her, she likely would have already tried by now. Lita ignored her mention of Laurelai - she had arranged to meet with Lita, after all. If Laurelai wanted to speak it was her business, but Lita wasn't about to ruin anything the blonde had planned on her own. 

Once B had said her piece, Lita set down her cup of wine and gave her a small smile. 

"Any excuse to get some fresh air is a welcome one," Lita said smoothly. "Not many people know how to reach me, even indirectly. You've done your homework, which is to be commended." She inclined her head slightly, never letter her eyes leave B's face. Lita was careful to keep any kind of a challenge from her expression, though she did let a little more steel creep into her voice.

"You mentioned that you have some information my organization might find valuable. I'm eager to learn whether or not you're right."

@Ark1002 @Voidus

Lips still drawn into a stern line, Laurelai gave a small nod to the other woman as she sat down with them, she was noticeable that was for sure. Shouldn't be too difficult to find some information about this one later if need be, but for now Laurelai was content to let Lita handle the business herself, after all Laurelai was only here due to coincidence Lita was the intended recipient of this meeting.

She raised her glass of violet wine to her lips and took a small sip, felt her nose briefly wrinkle at the intense aroma drifting off from it and her lips purse at the overwhelmingly strong taste. Rosharan culture had a lot going for it, Alethi dresses were much more practical than Scadrian designs and Laurelai found their scholarly works to generally be more inspired than some of those found on Sel.

But Rusts they ruined their alcohol. How did people drink this every day? Who thought that pouring pure alcohol into a Sandalwood perfume and calling it a drink was a good idea?

She suppressed the urge to cough, sipping a little more slowly to ensure she could keep some of the drink down. But sipping simply made the sweetness even more prevalent and let the alcohol burn more on the way down.

She set her cup down next to Lita's, giving it a final glare of distaste before peeling her gaze away from the violet hued liquid and towards the equally violet eyes of their new table companion. The fire wreathing her could have come from a number of Investitures, but that attitude, that look of superiority, that had all the trademarks of one of those Epics from earth. They could be troublesome, there was little structure or reason behind many of their abilities, but there were also patterns if you knew where to look.

As the other woman motioned towards her, Laurelai gave a polite smile, inclining her head slightly, but left the talking to Lita.

Would rather not leave characters here in limbo for extended periods of time, we had some things to do with Laurelai and Lita and still not exactly sure what the plan was with this meeting. Given current pacing we may have to move L+L on and just retcon this meeting or have it occur later or something.

@ZincAboutIt @Ark1002

Hydries La was bored. You would think that being an epic of high authority would be less prone to be bored. The fact that she was expecting a fight was not comforting either. The tavern was mostly empty with only a few stragglers inside after the days work. Nobody's emotions were particular fun either. Hydries hated not having somebody to seduce. Currently her nephew was in an upstairs bedroom doing things she nither knew nor cared about. Most importantly she was just bored.

------------------

Vio Lin quickly checked the stormlight in his fabrial. Seeing that he didn't have enough he quickly changed the sapphire. Putting the fabrial back onto his upper right arm and covering it with his sleeve he moved on to his most precious possession, his violin. Quickly going over that each string was in tune, they were, then making sure his bow was tightened, it was he checked the forcefeild generator. This small device on the inside of the violin had made this instrument practically indestructible. It was still functioning as was needed that was good. He walked out of his room and started down the stairs violin in his back sheath. When he got to the bottom he nodded at his aunt Hydries, sat down, and started playing a quick happy jig waiting for the Ghostbloods to come. 

@Sorana @I think I am here. @Sherlock Holmes @kenod @anyoneelsewhowantstoseestuffhappen

Talon listened, whistling.

Sorry that post didn't work. I'm still not satisfied, but alas.

Mike followed Nila through the streets, his thoughts with Lusk's words. Worried about their mission, of course he was. It was Lusk's job to worry about that. Mike sighed, trotted along the now and then glancing into an Alley. They were there, always there, so close and yet so far away. Sometimes he wondered if he could find him, find Ko'Tiel and ask, learn about what had happened how he might have a chance to control this. But then he just stayed quiet. They headed through street after street until after a while he saw the tavern and Mike stopped.

"If they are likely to bolt, we should surround the building? Time it, so that we can enter together?" Nervously he looked over at Lusk, tried to see if he had wanted to suggest something different, if he was trespassing. "Is that alright with you, sir?"

He hated how his voice sounded weak, insecure, almost waoted for someone to surge, to take over, but nobody came. Porcupine. It had been Porcupine who'd gently pushed him along when he was scared. Mike lowered his eyes and looked at his hands, feeling lost in his own head.

@I think I am here.

@kenod

@Oduim’s Chmapion

16 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Mike followed Nila through the streets, his thoughts with Lusk's words. Worried about their mission, of course he was. It was Lusk's job to worry about that. Mike sighed, trotted along the now and then glancing into an Alley. They were there, always there, so close and yet so far away. Sometimes he wondered if he could find him, find Ko'Tiel and ask, learn about what had happened how he might have a chance to control this. But then he just stayed quiet. They headed through street after street until after a while he saw the tavern and Mike stopped.

"If they are likely to bolt, we should surround the building? Time it, so that we can enter together?" Nervously he looked over at Lusk, tried to see if he had wanted to suggest something different, if he was trespassing. "Is that alright with you, sir?"

He hated how his voice sounded weak, insecure, almost waoted for someone to surge, to take over, but nobody came. Porcupine. It had been Porcupine who'd gently pushed him along when he was scared. Mike lowered his eyes and looked at his hands, feeling lost in his own head.

@I think I am here.

@kenod

@Oduim’s Chmapion

Nila looked at Mike. "He woln't bolt," she said. Flicker came around the corner and flew to Nila when he saw her. "Madam," his small quavery voice said. "The violinist is in the bar playing of all thing I can't believe this." Nila looked at Mike "Acording to Flicker Vio Lin is going to welcome us in with some nice music." \

@Sorana @kenod @I think I am here.

Mari walked a few paces behind Nila, studying the building. She strangely felt more confident, more assured, despite everything that was going on. Her posture was more relaxed, less obtrusive, though still ready to act at a moment's notice. Something like this was familiar terrain, something she done often enough. She might not like doing it, but she knew she could do it, and somehow that made her feel much better than she had felt during the chaos of what was happening in Oasis City.

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Sometimes he wondered if he could find him, find Ko'Tiel and ask, learn about what had happened how he might have a chance to control this.

I mean, finding KoTiel might be a bit difficult, for rather obvious reasons, but KanMien could give him multiple methods of improving his control, even without hemalurgy.

On 23.10.2019 at 4:37 PM, kenod said:

I mean, finding KoTiel might be a bit difficult, for rather obvious reasons, but KanMien could give him multiple methods of improving his control, even without hemalurgy.

Hmm... Unless something fundamentally changes I've got his arc planned out and learning control isn't part of it. It's a little more complicated than it seems to be.

Confused Mike paused. "Didn't you say earlier that they will bolt?" He asked and looked over at Mari. "Can you take the back entrance, I don't want to risk anything."

Snake curled itself around his hand and he could feel his skin change when she pushed upwards. "If he's really part of those who killed Mr. Itiah he won't come with us quietly."

Looking around he added. "I propose we try to take him with us, question in Oasis if possible. We have more control there than here. What do you think?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion

@I think I am here.

@kenod

22 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Confused Mike paused. "Didn't you say earlier that they will bolt?" He asked and looked over at Mari. "Can you take the back entrance, I don't want to risk anything."

Snake curled itself around his hand and he could feel his skin change when she pushed upwards. "If he's really part of those who killed Mr. Itiah he won't come with us quietly."

Looking around he added. "I propose we try to take him with us, question in Oasis if possible. We have more control there than here. What do you think?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion

@I think I am here.

@kenod

Nila looked at Mike. "Yes however my spren has informed me that Vio is currently sitting and playing his violin, I don't think he'll run with something that precious out. And while that is a great idea Mike that would involve a scuffle and I don't think we want to do that with Shattermind around." Nila gasped. That hadn't been her speaking that had been Avalon influencing her. He was pushing at his bonds and seemed to want to break free. Nila resisted with a snarl and forced Avalon back into their head. "Anyway," she said somewhat shaken."I propose that we try talking to him here. I'm sure he will let us. He's a very talkitive guy. We might get more info out of him here then if we torture him as fun as that sounds."

@Sorana @I think I am here. @kenod

Bruce walked into the bar. He'd been told that one of Mr. Itiah's murderers could be found here, and as he looked around the room, he saw the suspect, one Vio Lin, playing the violin in plain sight. Too easy. He walked over to Lin and flashed his badge. "Mr. Lin, you're under arrest for conspiracy to murder Mr. Itiah. Will you come quietly?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion

Edited by I ♥️ Rashek

Lusk sighed and looked to Mike. Lusk was getting far too old for all these types of missions. It reminded him of the old days, when he’d first joined the organisation he now partly led. The days of espionage, murder, stealth. Everything was just so storming fast paced now. “Of course it’s alright with me,” he said.

Walking ahead, he firmly planted his cane in the ground.

“I disagree we take him to Oasis, however. He is here, and we already have a lead in the form of that shop. Any Korea it,e we waste could be another person dead. You lead the Guns N’ Ninjas, right?” He checked his console and confirmed the fact. “You should know the value of time on a mission like this.” The boy was just an underling, but Lusk had been one too. And the underlings of today were the Elites of tomorrow.

“I’ll go in disguised, so he won’t recognise me. The rest of you spreads to the different exits and move in slowly, so we can ambush. On my signal, we’ll all attack at once. Understood?” Clenching his fists, Lusk tapped atium and transformed. His height shrunk and his clothes became large and baggy on his small frame. His eyes widened, and Lusk was a child again. Suddenly a fear pierced him, at all of the big people here, but he tried to force it away, blinking.

“Let’s do it.”

10 hours ago, I ♥️ Rashek said:

Bruce walked into the bar. He'd been told that one of Mr. Itiah's murderers could be found here, and as he looked around the room, he saw the suspect, one Vio Lin, playing the violin in plain sight. Too easy. He walked over to Lin and flashed his badge. "Mr. Lin, you're under arrest for conspiracy to murder Mr. Itiah. Will you come quietly?"

@Oduim’s Chmapion

Vio stopped playing. "Sir," He said with a smile. "Let us sit down and talk." Vio walked over to a table and sat down sheathing his violin. Then he gestured to the policeman to sit across from him. "I will come, but I would prefer if we talked first. I'm expecting someone."

Please go along, Vio needs to be here when the GBS arive.

Nila smiled, she loved all forms of fighting, she just needed to make sure Avalon didn't take control. "I'll take the back," she said perkily. 

@I think I am here. @Sorana @kenod

Edited by Oduim’s Chmapion

Mari nodded, quickly walking around to building to the back entrance. From her pockets she grabbed a pair of fingerless gloves and slipped them on. Checking the knuckle protectors she nodded and quietly opened the door, slipping into the building.

Also, Oduim, since Bruce hasn't been approved yet I suggest that you don't use his abilities or skills.