The Bleeding Spike Tavern

Elend  Venture

2 hours ago, Silva said:

"I think you just ignored everything I said," Aderet insisted. "You're right. I'm wrong. You can't be responsible when dealing with large objects. Because that's what a city filled with living breathing people ought to be treated as--an object. Not something priceless with a mind of its own. And experience really is all that matters. I guess no one young should ever get involved because they shouldn't be trusted since they haven't spent years in the field. New ideas and initiatives are foolhardy. You're right."

She leaned back in her chair and let her posture relax a little, which by Aderet Celeste Blanche Addington standards didn't mean much. "I'm sorry for having tried, unsuccessfully, to challenge you. It was unwarranted."

Dusk rolled his eyes and said, “I said you were naive, not that you were foolish. And the term objects in this context does imply a lack of important, simply that they are in existence. Your obvious attempt at some form of reverse psychology is actually quite amusing, but you clearly don’t believe anything your saying. Of course, useful ideology is both useful and naive, it shows how things should be, which is why it is useful, but then their comes a point when the world cannot be what that ideology would want, but you still attempt to make it so. I cannot personally deal with all my problems, that is simply a fact. A fact that I cannot change. Sending others to do so is the best I can do, before I go off to deal with a tenth of my problems personally. That is why a chain of command exists. So that responsibility can be shared instead of horded. If one being tries to correct every mistake it problem in the world, in the things they are responsible for, it may work at a much smaller scale, when they run maybe one shop, but what happens when they get two? Four? Eight? Sixteen? How could they possibly solve every problem that befalls all of those shops? I run three seperate multi world businesses, run a city with three million citizens, that the Jackal spent a year infiltrating with crime and vice, which still hasn’t fully recovered. You would have me solve every petty theft, every murder? If three or four innocents have to suffer for three million to survive, I am willing to pay that price. I do not enjoy doing so, but I am willing to. If I have to relegate an ultra insulting squirrel to a group of amateurs to try and solve a deadly drug epidemic in my city, I am willing to do so. In addition, there is such a thing called ‘Relegation Based now Merit.’ Ever heard of it?”

21 hours ago, Darth Woodrack said:

Dusk rolled his eyes and said, “I said you were naive, not that you were foolish. And the term objects in this context does imply a lack of important, simply that they are in existence. Your obvious attempt at some form of reverse psychology is actually quite amusing, but you clearly don’t believe anything your saying. Of course, useful ideology is both useful and naive, it shows how things should be, which is why it is useful, but then their comes a point when the world cannot be what that ideology would want, but you still attempt to make it so. I cannot personally deal with all my problems, that is simply a fact. A fact that I cannot change. Sending others to do so is the best I can do, before I go off to deal with a tenth of my problems personally. That is why a chain of command exists. So that responsibility can be shared instead of horded. If one being tries to correct every mistake it problem in the world, in the things they are responsible for, it may work at a much smaller scale, when they run maybe one shop, but what happens when they get two? Four? Eight? Sixteen? How could they possibly solve every problem that befalls all of those shops? I run three seperate multi world businesses, run a city with three million citizens, that the Jackal spent a year infiltrating with crime and vice, which still hasn’t fully recovered. You would have me solve every petty theft, every murder? If three or four innocents have to suffer for three million to survive, I am willing to pay that price. I do not enjoy doing so, but I am willing to. If I have to relegate an ultra insulting squirrel to a group of amateurs to try and solve a deadly drug epidemic in my city, I am willing to do so. In addition, there is such a thing called ‘Relegation Based now Merit.’ Ever heard of it?”

She smiled genuinly and a light peal of laughter escaped her lips. The new strategy had made some ground after all. "Thank. Harmony," she said. "Finally, we are getting somewhere!" Aderet pushed her chair back. Its wooden legs squeaked against the floor as she stood up. 

"Delegating is a great thing. I agree on that. It's a necessity. A capitalistic society requires it. It's a result of social classes developed by gaps in monetary possession. But," Aderet paused, "there are things the wealthy and powerful need to do to make sure they don't abuse their responsibilies, because it's very possible to do that without even intending to. Sometimes those people will have an idea that they believe to be so interesting that it needs to be tested out. However, they don't consider if it would even be useful or a good use of the resources they have available to them." Her eyes narrowed.

"An ultra insulting squirrel, as you called it, is one of those ideas and is exactly where this all stemmed from. Ultra insulting squirrels, I'm sure, you can rationalize in your head. The average person would disagree. Experiments like that are for after you've retired from politics and can devote yourself fully to them and their consequences, not before. A split concentration leads to neither job being done quite as well and could be the difference between life and death of an unfortunate bystander."

13 hours ago, Clyde Froggins said:

Rimas walked back into the bar and up to the counter,

"Hey, I just realized that I don't have a place to stay for tonight, mind if I rent a room?" He asked,

He seemed a little embarrassed at the fact he had just left and almost immediately came back, even though he was doing his best to hide it.

"Why certainly!" Said Damon. "Actually, because of the shady business you are to do for me shortly you get a 45% off coupon for a room on the second floor." He took a small card out of his jacket pocket labeled 'Certificate of Shady Business' and handed it to Rimas. Just remember to check out before 9:30 tomorrow unless you wish to pay for another night.

Edited by Elend Venture

8 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

"Why certainly!" Said Damon. "Actually, because of the shady business you are to do for me shortly you get a 45% off coupon for a room on the second floor." He took a small card out of his jacket pocket labeled 'Certificate of Shady Business' and handed it to Rimas. Just remember to check out before 9:30 tomorrow unless you wish to pay for another night.

"Thanks." said Rimas,

he then gave the barkeep the amount of money needed to rent his room.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:52 PM, Silva said:

She smiled genuinly and a light peal of laughter escaped her lips. The new strategy had made some ground after all. "Thank. Harmony," she said. "Finally, we are getting somewhere!" Aderet pushed her chair back. Its wooden legs squeaked against the floor as she stood up. 

"Delegating is a great thing. I agree on that. It's a necessity. A capitalistic society requires it. It's a result of social classes developed by gaps in monetary possession. But," Aderet paused, "there are things the wealthy and powerful need to do to make sure they don't abuse their responsibilies, because it's very possible to do that without even intending to. Sometimes those people will have an idea that they believe to be so interesting that it needs to be tested out. However, they don't consider if it would even be useful or a good use of the resources they have available to them." Her eyes narrowed.

"An ultra insulting squirrel, as you called it, is one of those ideas and is exactly where this all stemmed from. Ultra insulting squirrels, I'm sure, you can rationalize in your head. The average person would disagree. Experiments like that are for after you've retired from politics and can devote yourself fully to them and their consequences, not before. A split concentration leads to neither job being done quite as well and could be the difference between life and death of an unfortunate bystander."

Sorry for the long wait.

"You have a few things wrong. For one thing, I am not a politician. For another, the average person of the Citadel can rationalize my experiments with the fact that the generally improve the standard of living in the Citadel, which is already much higher than in the Alleycity, and the only other two major cities in several hundred miles are guild based. Unlike the Alleycity, the only support system is not a hemalurgic death cult, instead there is a stable government. In addition, we are equipped for war, for invasions, we are prepared. Beyond that, near everyone has a job, and those that do not do so by choice. These have all come about due to my experiments. The Citadel itself was an experiment! The power supply was an experiment! Every mining tool for the lifeblood of the economy is an experiment! And the final thing you are incorrect on is that the squirrel was intentional. It was a miscalculation. As was attempting to higher you to deal with it. You are simply lucky that I did not accidentally unleash one of the thousand worse things I have locked up. Would you prefer an investiture eating super plague? A swarm of Sky Piranha's? The Jackal's Mask? All of those are results of, or are undergoing, experiments. The plague would be remarkably useful in a war scenario, and the Sky Piranha's are undergoing domestication. As are the giant demons spiders. And the carnivorous furniture. 

Talas walked in from outside (ignore the last things he did) and sat down at a table, pulling out his phone and opening a messaging application. Mother, would you like to meet me for lunch? There are a few things that we need to discuss.

@AxeliustheGreat

Edited by bees?

Tena hefted her daughter and headed out down the stairs, pained at the baby she was close to birthing. Onyx... that's what Ani wants to name it. Tena took a bus to the nearest place she could get to the Bleeding Spike, then walked the rest of the way and came inside holding her sleeping daughter. She looked around for... Talas? That was his name now?

Talon nodded, dancing off behind the counter, where he relayed the order to the cook. He got glasses of water for both the patrons, then went back behind the bar. He leaned against the counter and absently checked out his nails, painted with a pattern of a sky and clouds on each one. 

Tena cocked her head at her son, taking a sip of water. "Why'd you want to talk?"