The Bleeding Spike Tavern

Elend  Venture

1 minute ago, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

“Are you aware of what an authoritarian regime is? The difference between justice and tyranny? That is why I wait. I am running a city, and to maintain that, I need to follow the rules that I set. If I do not wait to have proof that they are actually breaking the law than any could do that same thing to any other.”

"You're all fine stating that you are "fully aware of them selling illegally" and just need proof," Aderet said, using his words back at him. "You've also convinced yourself that you need to let the proof come to you.

"I know what authoritarian regimes are. I know the difference between justice and tyranny." The edge up her mouth turned up in a slight smile. "I also know that they're all made up terms by humanity to make us feel better about ourselves. There's a time for everything under the sun and these terms we've created have prevented many a good person from doing what they ought to have done."

9 minutes ago, Silva said:

"You're all fine stating that you are "fully aware of them selling illegally" and just need proof," Aderet said, using his words back at him. "You've also convinced yourself that you need to let the proof come to you.

"I know what authoritarian regimes are. I know the difference between justice and tyranny." The edge up her mouth turned up in a slight smile. "I also know that they're all made up terms by humanity to make us feel better about ourselves. There's a time for everything under the sun and these terms we've created have prevented many a good person from doing what they ought to have done."

“There is a difference between maneuvering people into slipping up and waiting for proof to come to you. The former is a strategy of justice, the latter of idiocy. A good person would not be in a position where they would be in violation of my laws. Any who do violate laws that are made on a moral bases, are therefore, immoral. If you are going to try to talk about taxes or anything of the like, the only taxes I employ are on myself, or for products, like the aforementioned drug, that are against public health interests.”

On 11/24/2019 at 4:35 PM, Ookla the Wine Shelf said:

“There is a difference between maneuvering people into slipping up and waiting for proof to come to you. The former is a strategy of justice, the latter of idiocy. A good person would not be in a position where they would be in violation of my laws. Any who do violate laws that are made on a moral bases, are therefore, immoral. If you are going to try to talk about taxes or anything of the like, the only taxes I employ are on myself, or for products, like the aforementioned drug, that are against public health interests.”

"On the first matter, we are in agreeance, simply running in circle and trying to find issue when the is none. On the other, I disagree," she said.

She held up one finger on her right hand. "Let's say this is Jop. Jop has seven kids and a sick wife. Jop was raised in a broken home. His mother died in childbirth and his father was in jail for murder before he even reached adolescence. Jop dropped out of school when he was seven and has never had a single good role model. All Jop knows how to do is steal."

Aderet held up a finger on her gloved safehand. "Now let's say this is Roe. Roe is the head of the organization selling highly addictive drugs. Roe doesn't need highly educated workers. He finds Jop, here, begging on the streets and offers him a job. Jop, unable to find any truly legal work, accepts. With this new income, Jop is able to feed his seven kids and pay for his wife's medication.

"Would you arrest Jop for doing the only thing he can to survive without resorting to aid or loans which will sink him into an evergrowing hole of debt?" Aderet asked. She moved her other hand off of the table, but left the Jop finger on her right hand up. "Has Jop done anything any of us wouldn't have done in his situation? Can we truly blame him for it?

"I'm not saying everyone is Jop, but we can't simply categorize anyone involved in illegal business as immoral. Not all laws can be moral, no matter how hard you try."

With the action now mostly over, Jacien is now thoroughly fed up with the situation. From what he could gather, there had been some sort of violence involving the man who had been accused of murder, and he had attacked the ghostbloods. 

Auri curled up his leg and onto his arm. "We should just leave. The place looks pretty ruined, and we don't know all the information."

Jacien nodded, then turned to leave, sheathing his shortswords and walking out of the ruined tavern.

On 29.11.2019 at 6:12 PM, Oduim’s Chmapion said:

Sorry I missed the bees one I very much apologize I should be on much more frome now on

okay, perfectly fine!

IIRC Mike asked a your character a question, sometime during the last posts. Otherwise I can have him do that again.

Basically I think we maybe should go to the factory together and find the assassin there to slowly wrap this up, give it a chance for an ending?

Mike looked around at those standing around. Lusk was here. He stepped a little to the side, felt shaken, although he couldn't quite pinpoint the reason. He quietly looked around, there were so many people and he was - pain ripped through his chest and he pressed a hand to his chest, leaned against a wall.

It was fox, he realized, when he peered into that dark space that was his mind. Fox, and out of fox mouth - Mike gasped and ran towards fox, not caring that snake took over, his eyes turning into a bright green with dark slights, scales covering his skin. Snake looked around, and flicked a rude gesture at Lusk, there was no reason for her to be here, then she turned around and walked out of the building.

Mike rushed towards fox, his eyes on the little thing fox held in his mouth. His hands shook and he could only  watch in horror as Fox deliberatetly laid down a little body in front of him. Fox turned around dismissively while Mike fell to his knees and gently picked her up. Fox teeth had left deep holes in her body, and her tentacles were lifelessly hanging around. Squid wasn't moving anymore, wasn't holding on to his hand, or floating in the dark room. She had been kind and cautious, a wonderful soul and she had centered him, had given him strength when he'd needed it. Mike held her to his chest, her limp body slowly dissolving in his hands. tears ran down his face when he tried to save her, but it was too late, he was too late. Fox had killed her. He had even ripped one of her arms from her body. Weeping Mike held her body, until nothing was left, but air.

Edited by Ookla the Dreamer

• 3 weeks later...

Damon stod up from behind the bar with the sawed off shotgun he had been crouching with and surveyed the damage to his tavern the battle had caused. He realized that when fights break out in a tavern, it's probably the bartenders job to tell the combatants to take it outside before brutally murdering each other. Particularly considering how common such occasions were. It most likely would make a great deal less mess.

Edited by Elend Venture

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2019 at 4:40 PM, Silva said:

"On the first matter, we are in agreeance, simply running in circle and trying to find issue when the is none. On the other, I disagree," she said.

She held up one finger on her right hand. "Let's say this is Jop. Jop has seven kids and a sick wife. Jop was raised in a broken home. His mother died in childbirth and his father was in jail for murder before he even reached adolescence. Jop dropped out of school when he was seven and has never had a single good role model. All Jop knows how to do is steal."

Aderet held up a finger on her gloved safehand. "Now let's say this is Roe. Roe is the head of the organization selling highly addictive drugs. Roe doesn't need highly educated workers. He finds Jop, here, begging on the streets and offers him a job. Jop, unable to find any truly legal work, accepts. With this new income, Jop is able to feed his seven kids and pay for his wife's medication.

"Would you arrest Jop for doing the only thing he can to survive without resorting to aid or loans which will sink him into an evergrowing hole of debt?" Aderet asked. She moved her other hand off of the table, but left the Jop finger on her right hand up. "Has Jop done anything any of us wouldn't have done in his situation? Can we truly blame him for it?

"I'm not saying everyone is Jop, but we can't simply categorize anyone involved in illegal business as immoral. Not all laws can be moral, no matter how hard you try."

“First. In the Citadel, there are many different programs to help beings like Jop, so him falling into crime is his own fault. Second. I know Jop, he’s a nice fellow. In fact, he reported Roe, and joined the Precursors.”

Sorry it took so long.

@Silva

Edited by Darth Woodrack

Rimas walked through the doors and took an empty seat at the bar,

"Your strongest alcohol please," He said in his deep, gruff voice, "in the biggest cup you have."

He had just failed another job and he was angered so he needed something to take the edge off,

he scratched his blood-red beard whilst considering what to do next.

He didn't seem to realize what had gone on in the bar and even if he did, he probably wouldn't care.

Edited by Clyde Froggins

5 hours ago, Clyde Froggins said:

Rimas walked through the doors and took an empty seat at the bar,

"Your strongest alcohol please," He said in his deep, gruff voice, "in the biggest cup you have."

He had just failed another job and he was angered so he needed something to take the edge off,

he scratched his blood-red beard whilst considering what to do next.

He didn't seem to realize what had gone on in the bar and even if he did, he probably wouldn't care.

Damon felt that he recognized this man, but he couldn't place the fellow's name. Ranette, maybe? Romulus? No, it wasn't either of those...Oh well, it didn't particularly matter.

"Why certainly, Sir!" Said Damon, pouring a tumbler of whiskey and sliding it over to the rough redheaded fellow.

14 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

Damon felt that he recognized this man, but he couldn't place the fellow's name. Ranette, maybe? Romulus? No, it wasn't either of those...Oh well, it didn't particularly matter.

"Why certainly, Sir!" Said Damon, pouring a tumbler of whiskey and sliding it over to the rough redheaded fellow.

"Thank you." He said before taking a large gulp of whisky,

"You wouldn't happen to have any jobs I could take, would ya?"

On 1/10/2020 at 11:56 AM, Clyde Froggins said:

"Thank you." He said before taking a large gulp of whisky,

"You wouldn't happen to have any jobs I could take, would ya?"

Damon was pretty certain he had seen this man at some Ghostblood assemblys, but he hadn't seen the chap in a long time. Yes, now he remembered, this man was called Rimas. Damon had seen him, but they had just never talked. He had never been very good at talking to people. Not unless he was interrogating them, anyway.

"Ah, I see. You don't look like our next dish washer, so I assume that you are here for more covert activities. In which case I have a few, but not nearly as many as I might have once. I used to be a freelance assassin, independent of the Ghostbloods. That changed about a year ago, but regardless, I still have no shortage of people in the Alleyverse that want me dead, and I have a particular job or two specifically in mind for you. And don't worry about payment, it can be decided later via spanreed, along with other details." Damon absently switched the chambers in his revolver several times as he spoke, smoothly rotating the cylinder by working the action repeatedly.

8 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

Damon was pretty certain he had seen this man at some Ghostblood assemblys, but he hadn't seen the chap in a long time. Yes, now he remembered, this man was called Rimas. Damon had seen him, but they had just never talked. He had never been very good at talking to people. Not unless he was interrogating them, anyway.

"Ah, I see. You don't look like our next dish washer, so I assume that you are here for more covert activities. In which case I have a few, but not nearly as many as I might have once. I used to be a freelance assassin, independent of the Ghostbloods. That changed about a year ago, but regardless, I still have no shortage of people in the Alleyverse that want me dead, and I have a particular job or two specifically in mind for you. And don't worry about payment, it can be decided later via spanreed, along with other details." Damon absently switched the chambers in his revolver several times as he spoke, smoothly rotating the cylinder by working the action repeatedly.

"Sounds good." Rimas said before finishing the last of his drink,

"How much do I owe ya for the whiskey?"

22 hours ago, Elend Venture said:

"A few chips, thanks." Said Damon, smiling and sliding the handgun back into its holster. "I'll get back to you about the job tonight by spanread, may even join you in person, we'll see."

@Clyde Froggins

"Here." Rimas said before dropping the money owed on the counter. "I'll see ya later."

With that, Rimas got up and left.

On 1/7/2020 at 9:37 PM, Darth Woodrack said:

“First. In the Citadel, there are many different programs to help beings like Jop, so him falling into crime is his own fault. Second. I know Jop, he’s a nice fellow. In fact, he reported Roe, and joined the Precursors.”

"That opens up even more possibilities of poor life style." Aderet dropped the Jop finger and instead held up her left index finger. The fabric of the glove wrinkled at the crease where the finger separated itself from the direction of the others. "Jop's wife. What's she to do? Now, with Jop in the Precursors, they'll get some income, but at what price? Every time he leaves, she fears he'll never come back. That did exist before, though now it's more in her face. She knows the risks. And if Jop dies? What then? She's got seven children to take care of. There'd be a pension, I assume. Enough to support eight? I think not."

She put down her finger and swept blonde hair out of her face. "I'm not saying Jop made a poor choice, nor am I saying that you're doing a poor job. I run a business--I know sacrifices must be made. At the same time, there's a difference from not doing a poor job and doing a perfect job. Everyone makes mistakes. What matters is what we do when they happen. How we handle them and learn from them. So far, your method seems to be distributing that responsibility to others. That's not a way to grow or get better," Aderet said.

2 hours ago, Silva said:

"That opens up even more possibilities of poor life style." Aderet dropped the Jop finger and instead held up her left index finger. The fabric of the glove wrinkled at the crease where the finger separated itself from the direction of the others. "Jop's wife. What's she to do? Now, with Jop in the Precursors, they'll get some income, but at what price? Every time he leaves, she fears he'll never come back. That did exist before, though now it's more in her face. She knows the risks. And if Jop dies? What then? She's got seven children to take care of. There'd be a pension, I assume. Enough to support eight? I think not."

She put down her finger and swept blonde hair out of her face. "I'm not saying Jop made a poor choice, nor am I saying that you're doing a poor job. I run a business--I know sacrifices must be made. At the same time, there's a difference from not doing a poor job and doing a perfect job. Everyone makes mistakes. What matters is what we do when they happen. How we handle them and learn from them. So far, your method seems to be distributing that responsibility to others. That's not a way to grow or get better," Aderet said.

Dusk looks at her and says, “You have no idea how large my responsibilities are, do you? I am one of the foremost scientists in the world, run one of the largest business in the world, and administrate a city. On top of that, the Alleyverse has a habit of undergoing horrible catastrophes once a year, that I have to step in to. Beyond that, there’s that Jackle copy cat running around, and Kevin, that rogue Precursor vigilante, and since I’m one step away from running the precursors, I already pay for them and provide man power, it is my responsibility to get them both caught. Unless your business spans many different cities and has a large stake in the well being of all life on this planet, then I don’t think you quite understand the scale of my responsibilities.”

On 1/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, Darth Woodrack said:

Dusk looks at her and says, “You have no idea how large my responsibilities are, do you? I am one of the foremost scientists in the world, run one of the largest business in the world, and administrate a city. On top of that, the Alleyverse has a habit of undergoing horrible catastrophes once a year, that I have to step in to. Beyond that, there’s that Jackle copy cat running around, and Kevin, that rogue Precursor vigilante, and since I’m one step away from running the precursors, I already pay for them and provide man power, it is my responsibility to get them both caught. Unless your business spans many different cities and has a large stake in the well being of all life on this planet, then I don’t think you quite understand the scale of my responsibilities.”

Aderet laughed. "And there you go again with that ego! Where did I first run into you?--right, when one of your experiments got loose! Foremost scientists don't do dumb stuff like that. The business claim doesn't mean much in the long run. The Alleyverse is a pretty small world. Try dominating the industry somewhere with actual size: Scadrial, Roshar, take your pick. And the city administration...I think we've already gone over that one in regard to ego. Administrating a city is easy--doing an amazing job at it, is another. 

"The fact that you immediately dropped into the excuse of 'you don't understand the scale of my responsibilities' isn't helping your case. It means that I hit a nerve and you felt the need to try and discredit me. Unfortunately for you, it only is giving me more evidence of everything I've been saying. You subconsciously believe the world revolves around you and that any poor consequence that occurs as a result of your actions is not your fault. Some might throw you into the category of 'narcissist', but I don't think it quite fits. You do believe you have responsibilities; the problem, however, are that those responsibilities blind you of other more fundamental responsibilities you ought to have. There is only so much a person can do before things start to be neglected." 

She turned to the drunk who'd spoken. "Still think that was an oof?"

@Spaceferring

2 hours ago, Spaceferring said:

"Big oof...such a big oof...", the drunk said, imitating the mantra of a Hoed like every time he got confronted.

Of course, he didn't know that Elantris had been restored.

@Silva

Please do not randomly hop into rp between two characters, unless you ask first and have something other than “Oof” to say.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:43 AM, Silva said:

Aderet laughed. "And there you go again with that ego! Where did I first run into you?--right, when one of your experiments got loose! Foremost scientists don't do dumb stuff like that. The business claim doesn't mean much in the long run. The Alleyverse is a pretty small world. Try dominating the industry somewhere with actual size: Scadrial, Roshar, take your pick. And the city administration...I think we've already gone over that one in regard to ego. Administrating a city is easy--doing an amazing job at it, is another. 

"The fact that you immediately dropped into the excuse of 'you don't understand the scale of my responsibilities' isn't helping your case. It means that I hit a nerve and you felt the need to try and discredit me. Unfortunately for you, it only is giving me more evidence of everything I've been saying. You subconsciously believe the world revolves around you and that any poor consequence that occurs as a result of your actions is not your fault. Some might throw you into the category of 'narcissist', but I don't think it quite fits. You do believe you have responsibilities; the problem, however, are that those responsibilities blind you of other more fundamental responsibilities you ought to have. There is only so much a person can do before things start to be neglected." 

She turned to the drunk who'd spoken. "Still think that was an oof?"

@Spaceferring

“Are you kidding me? You think foremost scientists don’t make mistakes like that? Also, my only mistake was leaving security on it up to a bunch of incompetents, which has been corrected. In addition, do you seriously think running a business on Roshar right now is a good idea? I personally don’t feel like being dragged into a war with Odium. Scadrial has its own problems. As for the others, Taldian doesn’t use metal on nearly the scale I produce it, and the planets of my origin are customers. Beyond that, administering a city is not ‘easy,’ it is what takes most of my time. Hundreds of thousands of people rely on me to maintain the economy, provide clean water, build housing, import food, even the Webs, wha passes for slums in my city, equate to a standard of living equal to high class Alleycity standards, and you have the gall to say that I am not doing a good job. I said you have no idea of the scale of my responsibilities because you don’t. You are honestly naive enough to think that I am the naive one. How old are you? Did you watch the Seven Day war? The Long War? Did you participate in the Great Game as Hellbent so arrogantly called it? Have you arrived home to find your entire family and everyone you hold dear slaughtered, simply because one man decided to do so? I did.”

35 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

“Are you kidding me? You think foremost scientists don’t make mistakes like that? Also, my only mistake was leaving security on it up to a bunch of incompetents, which has been corrected. In addition, do you seriously think running a business on Roshar right now is a good idea? I personally don’t feel like being dragged into a war with Odium. Scadrial has its own problems. As for the others, Taldian doesn’t use metal on nearly the scale I produce it, and the planets of my origin are customers. Beyond that, administering a city is not ‘easy,’ it is what takes most of my time. Hundreds of thousands of people rely on me to maintain the economy, provide clean water, build housing, import food, even the Webs, wha passes for slums in my city, equate to a standard of living equal to high class Alleycity standards, and you have the gall to say that I am not doing a good job. I said you have no idea of the scale of my responsibilities because you don’t. You are honestly naive enough to think that I am the naive one. How old are you? Did you watch the Seven Day war? The Long War? Did you participate in the Great Game as Hellbent so arrogantly called it? Have you arrived home to find your entire family and everyone you hold dear slaughtered, simply because one man decided to do so? I did.”

Aderet gently burnt cadmium while he talked. Dusk's words blurred away into a much less annoying sounding hum. Too quickly it was over and his mouth snapped shut. He probably just shut it--the quick motion simply a byproduct of her cadmium bubble. She kept it up to let him think she really was considering what he'd said. Even without having listened, she got the gist from his frustrated facial expressions: "You're young and inexperienced. Shut up. I'm obviously wiser because I'm older."

That was false. Sometimes, the older you were, the less likely you were to accept that the way you lived your life currently was wrong. Not like she was currently applying that diagnoses to a certain man sitting across from her. 

It was interesting, however, that he hadn't stormed off yet. Aderet took that as a good sign. He obviously saw something in her words, maybe even only subconsciously. If he really were as responsible and powerful as he kept trying to tell her, he would have been long gone. But this strategy didn't seem to be working. It was time to try something new, something more fun for her.

She dropped the bubble and smiled like she'd just had a revelation from what he'd said. "You're right. I have no right to reprimand you. I'm foolish and my naiveté prevents me from understanding the reasoning behind your actions."

3 hours ago, Silva said:

Aderet gently burnt cadmium while he talked. Dusk's words blurred away into a much less annoying sounding hum. Too quickly it was over and his mouth snapped shut. He probably just shut it--the quick motion simply a byproduct of her cadmium bubble. She kept it up to let him think she really was considering what he'd said. Even without having listened, she got the gist from his frustrated facial expressions: "You're young and inexperienced. Shut up. I'm obviously wiser because I'm older."

That was false. Sometimes, the older you were, the less likely you were to accept that the way you lived your life currently was wrong. Not like she was currently applying that diagnoses to a certain man sitting across from her. 

It was interesting, however, that he hadn't stormed off yet. Aderet took that as a good sign. He obviously saw something in her words, maybe even only subconsciously. If he really were as responsible and powerful as he kept trying to tell her, he would have been long gone. But this strategy didn't seem to be working. It was time to try something new, something more fun for her.

She dropped the bubble and smiled like she'd just had a revelation from what he'd said. "You're right. I have no right to reprimand you. I'm foolish and my naiveté prevents me from understanding the reasoning behind your actions."

His face wasn’t frustrated. He’s more or less treating you as a child.

“You just ignored everything I said, didn’t you? Essentially, I have been doing this for a very long time, and the scale of things is much out of balance here. Your philosophy of personal responsibility doesn’t work when you deal with objects as large as what I do.”

56 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

“You just ignored everything I said, didn’t you? Essentially, I have been doing this for a very long time, and the scale of things is much out of balance here. Your philosophy of personal responsibility doesn’t work when you deal with objects as large as what I do.”

56 minutes ago, Darth Woodrack said:

His face wasn’t frustrated. He’s more or less treating you as a child.

I like how you used 'you' there. ;)

Still, that's Aderet viewed it. And she's a child, yeah?

"I think you just ignored everything I said," Aderet insisted. "You're right. I'm wrong. You can't be responsible when dealing with large objects. Because that's what a city filled with living breathing people ought to be treated as--an object. Not something priceless with a mind of its own. And experience really is all that matters. I guess no one young should ever get involved because they shouldn't be trusted since they haven't spent years in the field. New ideas and initiatives are foolhardy. You're right."

She leaned back in her chair and let her posture relax a little, which by Aderet Celeste Blanche Addington standards didn't mean much. "I'm sorry for having tried, unsuccessfully, to challenge you. It was unwarranted."