Rushu42

The Alleyverse Post

66 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"It's probably redundant to print the Rebirth story, then?" Acacia asked thoughtfully, "If people have already heard it?"

"You would think so, but It's festive and part of the season." Bell swept his chair back under his desk. 

"Plus," he continued "This city has always been a pressure-cooker. It's good to remind people why they are here every now and then."

Edited by Arlin

2 minutes ago, Arlin said:

"You would think so. But It's festive and part of the season." Bell swept his chair back under his desk. 

"Plus," he continued "this city has always been a pressure-cooker. It's good to remind people why they are here every now and then."

"Okay, we'll write it up, then. Maybe put it on the second page. We'll want an article on the highlights of this year's festival, too, which Rathi should be working on. But what else?" Acacia drummed her fingers on the table, and took a sip of the coffee that Whisper had prepared. Most free-kingdomers had little taste for the librarian drink, But Acacia had grown quite fond of it over the years. She had never made an effort to convert her family to it, though; the Smedrys were terrifying enough without the added benefit of caffeine. She looked around the room, and adopted her best Leavenworth voice. "Okay, I want you guys to get out in the streets and look for anything interesting that you can find. Whether it's a lost cat, a new shop, or some weird magic thing, if it's even remotely interesting I want it written down and brought back here. Whisper, you said your specialty is secrets? Well, I want some juicy ones for the first edition. I'm sure you'll all find something excellent; get to it!"

You can have your character actually wander around some threads for a while if you want, or you can just say that they talked to some NPCs and some right back. Or you can completely disregard Acacia's orders and do whatever you want - she's not nearly as charismatic as she tries to be.

@Voidus

A woman walks up to the building of the Post and steps inside, heading over to the front desk.

"Hello." She smiles politely. "I have an advertisement I would like to place in the next installment of the post. Could you please tell me how much that would be?"

She reaches into a bag slung over her shoulder and places a slim folder on the desk. "Front page, if possible, otherwise I'll take the best free spot that you have."

Gently she pushes the folder over. "Here, that's the ad, so that you can take a look at it's length."

Pausing she laughs, lifts a hand and moves it through her hair. "I am sorry, I didn't even ask whether I'm talking to the right person. I hope, that I am?"

Inside of the folder is the following:

Spoiler

Sebastian ran. His feet pounded on the wet cobblestoned, his steps echoing through the night. He was breathing hard, trying to suck emough hair into his lungs and body, all without ever slowing down. His side ached, but he knew there would be a good spot to make a stand, nothing more than a few turns away. And so he ran. He ran with everything he had, aimed for the next turn, the next small place where he would have some room, some space around him. And enough metal to push upon. Once there, he would be able to face them, the three men following him through the night. He had taken a wrong turn, had ended up in the wrong place, his wellmade cloths immediatly marking him as a target. But he was no target. He had an edge they didn't know off.

With a grim smile he turned, his cloak moving with him, his hand closing around the vial in his pocket. Opening it with a quick motion of his thumb he smiled at them grimly, at the knives in their hands. This would be easy. Lifting the vial to his mouth he froze when nothing but a drip of water touched his tongue.

Maybe this wouldn't be easy at all.

Looking for a place where you can resupply easily? Where you can trust the quality and know that it is crafted specially for your use?

Visit Cassandra Adama's Metallurgic Emporium - all types of high quality metals and alloys today!

I hope I was in time before you're gone, so that you can include it. And I hope the front desk part works - I just wanted to hand all information over, as you've asked for articles and things to be done this weekend. I had no clue about which formats you can work with, so I kept it as text only. ^_^

@Rushu42

@Rushu42 This is just a question about the Alleyverse Post in general: Is this where the actual newspaper will be put out, or is this just the place where the Alleyverse Post members rp about making the newspaper? Where will characters go to find a newspaper and where will the people writing that character go to find a newspaper?

On 8/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, Sorana said:

A woman walks up to the building of the Post and steps inside, heading over to the front desk.

"Hello." She smiles politely. "I have an advertisement I would like to place in the next installment of the post. Could you please tell me how much that would be?"

She reaches into a bag slung over her shoulder and places a slim folder on the desk. "Front page, if possible, otherwise I'll take the best free spot that you have."

Gently she pushes the folder over. "Here, that's the ad, so that you can take a look at it's length."

Pausing she laughs, lifts a hand and moves it through her hair. "I am sorry, I didn't even ask whether I'm talking to the right person. I hope, that I am?"

"I can't say whether I'm the right person or not, but I can certainly take your article," Acacia replied, vaulting over a chair to reach the front desk. "As for money..." Acacia paused, presented with two dilemmas. The first was that the woman who had hired her hadn't specified the price of advertisements. The second was that Acacia had no idea what the standard currency was in this place. Well, making things up was one of her specialties. "$784.32 in exact change, please," she said smoothly. "We also accept bits of bark shaped like celebrities, if you prefer."

On 8/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, Scarletfox said:

@Rushu42 This is just a question about the Alleyverse Post in general: Is this where the actual newspaper will be put out, or is this just the place where the Alleyverse Post members rp about making the newspaper? Where will characters go to find a newspaper and where will the people writing that character go to find a newspaper?

My plan is to put a post here whenever a new newspaper is released, and to edit it into the OP. IC, there would probably be newspaper stands dotted around the city, so you can just say that your character picked one up there. Or you can have them swing by here if you'd rather.

7 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"I can't say whether I'm the right person or not, but I can certainly take your article," Acacia replied, vaulting over a chair to reach the front desk. "As for money..." Acacia paused, presented with two dilemmas. The first was that the woman who had hired her hadn't specified the price of advertisements. The second was that Acacia had no idea what the standard currency was in this place. Well, making things up was one of her specialties. "$784.32 in exact change, please," she said smoothly. "We also accept bits of bark shaped like celebrities, if you prefer."

"Here you are." the woman smiled pleasantly. "Please let us know should there be any trouble with the formatting or the wordcount. We can always make a few adjustments and send you an updated article over soon."

She placed the exact amount of chrysts on the desk between them and then added her business card. It was rather simple, mostly containing some text that read:

Marian Cox
Marketing Assistant

"Do you have any other questions?" she inquired politely without ever stopping to smile. "Otherwise I would leave you to your business."

Edited by Sorana

6 hours ago, Sorana said:

Do you have any other questions?" she inquired politely without ever stopping to smile. "Otherwise I would leave you to your business."

"No, that should about do it. We may have to change the wording slightly; will that be a problem?"

16 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

"No, that should about do it. We may have to change the wording slightly; will that be a problem?"

"Oh no, not at all!"

she smiled again. "In that case, I'll leave you to your business. Give me a call should you need anything else!" Turning around she lifted a hand and then walked out of the door.

Bell leaned back in his chair, watching Acacia's slight hesitance with the carved mineral coins.

"You've been in the Alleys long? Your looking at glowing money like it might be radioactive."

Did we ever determine an exchange rate for chrysts? It feels like there should be with there being 3 earths.

@Rushu42

Edited by Arlin

1 hour ago, Arlin said:

"You've been in the Alleys long? Your looking at glowing money like it might be radioactive."

I think we just make it up. It's not extremely necessary.

"Well, it's refreshing to learn that it's not," replied Acacia. "I just got here last week. It's better than the Hushlands, at least."

Alright, here's the next Alleyverse Post edition! Thank you to everyone who helped create it. I don't know what implications releasing this has for the ic thread, but we can figure it out as we go.

Spoiler

5f43127fa59ca_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_09_36PM.png.71ce9f07bb659cf6369ed1b188dcbebc.png5f4312944ae03_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_10_34PM.png.d8e58b8dc1819baf9492c9f8f2146742.png5f4312a30801c_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_20PM.png.2b1396e16a0e4cff9faa44ab94e5dc5f.png5f4313021755c_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_39PM.png.623553dd5ef09be94451bf206b7182b2.png5f43130d00b12_Screenshot2020-08-22at11_11_56PM.png.1863f4522e64fbd6617ad6182bee8f77.png

On 8/19/2020 at 10:47 AM, Rushu42 said:

"Well, it's refreshing to learn that it's not," replied Acacia. "I just got here last week. It's better than the Hushlands, at least."

"Why? Is the money there radioactive?"

Bell reached out his hand and shake'd his tupperware under Acacia's nose. "Congratulations for landing yourself a management position, on your second week in a new reality."    

2 minutes ago, Arlin said:

"Why? Is the money there radioactive?"

Bell reached out his hand and shake'd his tupperware under Acacia's nose. "Congratulations for landing yourself a management position, on your second week in a new reality."    

Acacia grinned, grabbing a cupcake. "Why, thank you! Honestly, I had no idea what was happening for most of the interview, but here I am! And I wouldn't put it past the Librarians to do something ridiculous like that. They're so irrational, unlike us Smedries." She took a bite. "Hey, this is really good. How are you a reporter and not a baker?"

3 hours ago, Rushu42 said:

Acacia grinned, grabbing a cupcake. "Why, thank you! Honestly, I had no idea what was happening for most of the interview, but here I am! And I wouldn't put it past the Librarians to do something ridiculous like that. They're so irrational, unlike us Smedries." She took a bite. "Hey, this is really good. How are you a reporter and not a baker?"

"yes, 'rational' which is why my chair along with this was in the break-room this morning ." Bell held out the 'Editor' plaque and took one of the cupcakes for himself. "'You should have had them fresh, these are just my leftovers from last night. It is sort of a family thing."

Bell took a bite of his cupcake "Have you checked the roster yet?"

37 minutes ago, Arlin said:

"yes, 'rational' which is why my chair along with this was in the break-room this morning ." Bell held out the 'Editor' plaque and took one of the cupcakes for himself. "'You should have had them fresh, these are just my leftovers from last night. It is sort of a family thing."

Bell took a bite of his cupcake "Have you checked the roster yet?"

Acacia accepted the Editor plaque, twirling it in her hand as she spoke. "As a rule, I don't believe in rosters. They're restrictive and tyrannical. But yes, I did glance over it when I got here. Any thoughts on it?"

"Ever get a look at my name?"

@Rushu42

Edited by Arlin